• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Are we gonna get another credit increase or what, because this progression is still outrageously slow. It'd be one thing if you played, what, 40-50 games for the customization pack and actually were guaranteed to get something you're interested in, but you could just get a bunch of weapon skins and emblems that you didn't want. There are way too many available options, it would be fine to get drops you don't really want if it didn't take so long.

I'm not banking on it anytime soon personally. The system is there to push people into buying Gear Packs and I expect that to continue to be their primary focus.

I'm not banking on it anytime soon personally. The system is there to push people into buying Gear Packs and I expect that to continue to be their primary focus.

343 clearly wants people to buy packs as well but they dont make it so that you have to win more then 100 matches to get a free pack. It is such a stupid system in this game it makes me not want to even try to unlock packs.

Darknoc

It may have been answered already but how long does it take to get the keys for gears 1- judgement after buying digitally ?

343 clearly wants people to buy packs as well but they dont make it so that you have to win more then 100 matches to get a free pack. It is such a stupid system in this game it makes me not want to even try to unlock packs.

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree with you. TC definitely knew what they were doing when they launched the game, making the credit drip as slow as possible. They had to do something though because of all the backlash, but while the credits earned per match is still insultingly low, I expect them to hold out as long as possible before they're forced into making more adjustments.

vac

Neo Member
The easter egg for destroying all of Marcus' tomatoes is probably the best thing in the game. Couldn't stop laughing

aBarreras

stop the hyperboles, if you win 100 matches you can buy 1 elite pack and 2 operational packs, or 6 operational packs, and thats just for winning, not even counting the credits given for your performance.

i mean i still think they should increase it further, but 100 matches for 1 pack? thats just hyperbole

Djostikk

I don't have Xbox One but all this negatives about drops, packs, etc. resembles me something. (Hello, Uncharted 4 MP). And I'm sure it's even more annoying when previous game didn't have that random system and everything was locked on level progression.

TK-421

I dont get the walmart site at all. I tried to enter a code there but it asks for 2 codes. Anyone know what to do?

The Walmart site requires two codes, so in order to get all 5 unlocks using only 4 codes, you put the first two codes on the main site, and the other two codes on the walmart site.

aBarreras

I don't have Xbox One but all this negatives about drops, packs, etc. resembles me something. (Hello, Uncharted 4 MP). And I'm sure it's even more annoying when previous game didn't have that random system and everything was locked on level progression.

Gears 3 had a lot of skins that were only buyable, and Judgment had crates, so not "everything" was locked on level progression

stop the hyperboles, if you win 100 matches you can buy 1 elite pack and 2 operational packs, or 6 operational packs, and thats just for winning, not even counting the credits given for your performance.

i mean i still think they should increase it further, but 100 matches for 1 pack? thats just hyperbole

I meant 100 matches against bots. I have no idea what you get from player matches since I have only played a few and I dont remember what I got.

I really like the game but multiplayer skins are soooooo ugly.

Yeah, this is also very disappointing. The skins that are there (Color Blast, Zombie, Day of the Dead) are absolutely hideous. It wouldn't be an issue if there were a ton of them to choose from but to just have those three is crappy.

Moofers

Yup, 343 actually got their REQ cadence right because I play a couple games of Warzone Firefight and I always have something waiting for me to open before long. Plus they have daily packs and other random special packs that you get just for logging on sometimes. Gears needs to pick up the pace and get on Halo 5's level with this.

Here's a good example of the problem with these packs too:

I actually bought 15 Horde Booster packs last night for $10. I want to get my Engineer's two equipped skills (I'm level 3) up to level 5 and I need 10 cards for each skill. That's 20 cards just to get my TWO out of FIVE (equippable at the same time) skills for just one of the five classes. In that pack of 15 boosters, I got like 6 cards for my Engineer class. The rest were literally skills for other classes that I had to scrap in order to create another few cards for my desired skills. So basically I spent $10 to get like 9 cards for my Engineer, which isn't enough to get even one of my two skills up to level 5 since I needed 10 cards for each one. So yeah, 9 cards after I received 75 and had to burn the great majority of them for scrap.

And remember, I will eventually reach level 10 (in like a fucking year at this rate) and at that point I'll be able to equip 5 skills for each match. So I got all the remaining skills in my ONE class where each one will need like 20+ cards in total to get to level 5.

What.
A.
Grind.

Seriously, its madness. So that's why they need to pick up the pace. Or at least redesign the packs in a way that allows you to focus on just one class at a time. Put out an Engineer pack so I can be certain to only get cards for that class! Something!

Also, you know they're going to put out extra weapons, character skins, and maybe classes over time (I hope) so the pool of random stuff you could potentially get in these card packs is only going to grow.

PS- What's Discord? Is that a voice chat thing?

nOoblet16

PS- What's Discord? Is that a voice chat thing?
It's a group chat and you can set up group...both text and voice based if you want. You can go to voice channel if you want voice chat or use the difference text channel for LFG, cop, general discussion.

It even has a mobile app so it's pretty much video game WhatsApp.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The way online co-op works has definitely changed compared to previous games right? In older games I could start a game that anyone could join, but now there's only the 'join game' option. That would be fine if it didn't just pick a random chapter from an act instead of the one you selected! I only have a few chapters left to do in co-op (prologue and 3-4 and 5), and I'll have to see if someone wants to do these with me, because the system keeps dropping me in later or earlier chapters. No I don't want to play 1-4, I want to do the prologue.

It's weird that you explicitly select a chapter you want to do in co-op, yet the game drops you into something else anyway. Shame I have to quit out of games because of this.

Leyasu

Banned
you really need a premade for it...

Got to 40 and by then it was me and another dude left and stood no chance at the boss :3

Yeah I have completed gears 3 horde a few times with randoms where no one quit. But gear 4 horde is definitely harder and does require a pre-made group with mics

Expensive and bad.

Characters are pretty meh. Especially since some of them just have minor changes to them.

They're not great. I can't wait to see what they release every month though. Ideally for me, my combo would be a kantus and an onyx guard.... I hope that theyy get some locust on there

aBarreras

Yeah I have completed gears 3 horde a few times with randoms where no one quit. But gear 4 horde is definitely harder and does require a pre-made group with mics

They're not great. I can't wait to see what they release every month though. Ideally for me, my combo would be a kantus and an onyx guard.... I hope that theyy get some locust on there

SPOILERS FOR THE CAMPAIGN
well the Scion are technically locust no? haha

I've played 41 matches and have enough credits to buy 2 elite packs, idk where you're getting this 100 for 1

Jinroh

The first part of the game is attrocious. How many times did I have to watch those goddamn planes drop those boring robots... it got repetitive very fast.

RoKKeR

I must say, the post game lobby in this game is all sorts of jacked up. Terrible UI, very unclear how/what/when the next game is starting... just a very weird setup.

Is it just me or has the horde community turned into a kill hungry hive of pricks who'll ignore anyone who's been downed? I remember randoms in Gears 3 being much more considerate about helping up downed players, but in this game, even with a "Press Y" notification to see exactly WHERE the downed player is, they never help.

It's mind boggling.

Strootman

Finished the campaign. First two acts are a bit meh. 3-4 are great. The last act is goty (I want more xD).

Overall a fantastic campaign. The new characters are great and I hope TC develops the relationship between them with more cutscenes and stuff in the next chapter.

The graphics are very good (especially on act 3-4-5), but overall I think U4 and The Order are on another level.

Good job TC.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Is it just me or has the horde community turned into a kill hungry hive of pricks who'll ignore anyone who's been downed? I remember randoms in Gears 3 being much more considerate about helping up downed players, but in this game, even with a "Press Y" notification to see exactly WHERE the downed player is, they never help.

It's mind boggling.

It's frustrating when you jet to the total opposite side of the map to help someone out, then when you get downed yourself... you bleed out. Luckily when I reached 50 with a crew of randoms those people started to get it as we went along. Reviving asap is vital. Luckily there are cogs to be picked up, so sometimes you get a second chance.

RoKKeR

Uhh, excuse me? 2.0

3qLCVMA.gif

Just got to level 20 and finally have enough CR to buy a pack... that seems excessive. Halo 5's economy feels fair, this seems a bit over the top.

Xyber

Fucking yay..

Almost done with a KOTH game we were winning, I get disconnected for no reason after the game lagged for a bit and my buddy and everyone else stayed in the game just fine.

Been killed by stuttering/freezing at least twice today, and navigating menus continues to be hell (XB1)

so annoying

Start up 4 different games other than gears and then go back into gears. Stuttering will be gone. Fixed it for me and it was suggested on the gears forums.

just once? or everytime i want to play? maybe is something with the cache of the game or something? haha

Just once it seems to be a cache issue. By starting 4 other games you remove all gears data from the cache. Then when you start it after the 4 other games it will cache the newer code.

Vico

It might be a silly question, but are Horde skills like boosts? Meaning, do I loose the skill After using it for one game?

Just once it seems to be a cache issue. By starting 4 other games you remove all gears data from the cache. Then when you start it after the 4 other games it will cache the newer code.

i remember doing for Gears3, but all we had to do is this. is there no way do do this on XB1 and if there isnt what if we only platy gears on the console with no 4 other games to rotate?

aBarreras

i remember doing for Gears3, but all we had to do is this. is there no way do do this on XB1 and if there isnt what if we only platy gears on the console with no 4 other games to rotate?

if you have gold, i think you have 4 games, i think you can redownload or reinstall it too

maybe demos work too?

BHK3

Banned
Yeah, this is also very disappointing. The skins that are there (Color Blast, Zombie, Day of the Dead) are absolutely hideous. It wouldn't be an issue if there were a ton of them to choose from but to just have those three is crappy.
Using colour blast is such a stupid idea, I can see your brighter than the sun ass from across the map

Top Bottom