• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Jinaar

Did my first Horde mode with 4 others.

XBOX LIVE was weird, as we couldn't get in one person into party chat at all (so we could hear him on headsets). So that was unfortunate.

Other than that, Horde - Normal - Wave 29 we got to and then quit for the night. Was damn fun. The memories of GoW2 Horde washed over me and it was even better then I remember it.

Initially lots to take in but in another 1-3 more Horde matches, everything will click together and all will be well. Gotta keep ranking up!

m23

Bit of a weird question, but did anyone think the pre-fab city in act 1 looked a bit cartooney? I actually thought the colour of my TV needed adjusting.

Also how accurate are the reports that the campaign is 6 hours long? My XB1 will be gone on Saturday morning so I don't have much time to get it finished before-hand. I'd have had more time but it took forever to fucking download.

I think it depends entirely on the difficulty you're playing on. Some people say 6 hours, other 9 hours and a couple said even more. Also depends on how much you explore vs rushing through. I'm not finished yet though.

Bit of a weird question, but did anyone think the pre-fab city in act 1 looked a bit cartooney? I actually thought the colour of my TV needed adjusting.

Also how accurate are the reports that the campaign is 6 hours long? My XB1 will be gone on Saturday morning so I don't have much time to get it finished before-hand. I'd have had more time but it took forever to fucking download.

8:38 on Hardcore for me. Moderate exploring for collectables.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I wish on the voting part it didn't include the chance to play the same match you just did. I just did 3 Arms Races on Gridlock..

btags

Act 3 gets insane visually near the end, drop dead gorgeous environments. I'm hoping there are still areas left in the game that great looking.

Also, is there a trick to taking out Pouncers? Or are they just that meaty? I thought tagging grenades on cover would be a good trick, but it doesnt seem to do much.

They do seem to take a lot no matter what, but I happened to grenade tag one low on health and it looked glorious:

https://giant.gfycat.com/GoodIlliterateHusky.webm

Vitacat

No Xbone S controller rumble in Bluetooth?

Just started playing this game on my PC. All is well, except rumble doesn't work on my Xbone S controller on Bluetooth. I tried everything. The only way rumble works is if I plug it into USB, but I hate using cables.

Oddly, all my old games seem to rumble just fine with this controller in Bluetooth connection, i.e. just played Ikaruga with it and rumble works.

Any ideas? Is Microsoft just incompetent with its own hardware?

Jobbs

Banned
Hammer burst is amazing but sometimes it gets annoying when you down a guy and run out of bullets to finish him off. I have to train my self to switch to the pistol when that happens

The main problem is no one uses hammerburst so I usually can't find more ammo.

prophecy0

My buddy and I finished Act II last night. Here are my impressions on the campaign so far, along with some questions for anyone that is further along.

I'm enjoying the overall story and environments, but the robot enemies are just a bore to fight. This is especially true for the heavies (DR-1s) and Guardians (flying guys). They are both such ridiculous bullet sponges, ESPECIALLY the guardians. Past gears games had heavy locusts that could take a ton of bullets, but a few good headshots would take them down much more quickly. The DeeBees just seem to soak up a ton of damage.

It seems like we'll be fighting some new enemies very soon. Are these enemies more fun to fight? Someone please tell me the game gets more fun going forward...

I haven't had a chance to try out Horde or MP yet but I'm sure both of them will be a blast.

nullref

My biggest gripe is that the crossplay doesn't work. I'm not sure if others have managed to get it working but we sures heck didn't, even after few reboots and fiddling with network settings. I hope its something that gets fixed, or I find a solution to. Not the best of starts for the game but what big release didn't come into the world without some pains in the beginning?

In terms of crossplay, do you mean campaign co-op, or versus? A friend and tried to do campaign co-op for the first time last night (both Win 10, though), and had to mess with network settings and services for over an hour to get it to work. We could join each other's "squad" or party, but actually starting a game session would fail.

If you're having similar issues, first, you can validate that your own connectivity is all OK using the Settings > Network tab in the Windows 10 Xbox app. If there are no warnings there, you should be good. My side was good, but my friend had warnings – once we both had no warnings here, everything worked perfectly. If you have warnings on your end on Windows, you probably won't be able to play with people on Xbox.

If you do have warnings, they're probably due to a Teredo tunneling failure of some kind. This article has a lot of steps for trying to resolve this: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/social/troubleshoot-party-chat. Fixing my friend's issue ended up being even a bit more esoteric than that, but it was still related to the Teredo network adapter and allowing it to initialize.

TRios Zen

My buddy and I finished Act II last night. Here are my impressions on the campaign so far, along with some questions for anyone that is further along.

I'm enjoying the overall story and environments, but the robot enemies are just a bore to fight. This is especially true for the heavies (DR-1s) and Guardians (flying guys). They are both such ridiculous bullet sponges, ESPECIALLY the guardians. Past gears games had heavy locusts that could take a ton of bullets, but a few good headshots would take them down much more quickly. The DeeBees just seem to soak up a ton of damage.

It seems like we'll be fighting some new enemies very soon. Are these enemies more fun to fight? Someone please tell me the game gets more fun going forward...

I haven't had a chance to try out Horde or MP yet but I'm sure both of them will be a blast.

I enjoyed the campaign thoroughly and didn't have the problem with the deebees that you did. That being said - yes you fight new enemies soon. OF which there are a few bullet sponge enemies to replace the heavies.

Full disclosure - I have completed campaign solo on hardcore and am halfway through Act 5 on hardcore co-op.

Just tried horde for the first time. Played on normal and it was smooth sailing through round 20 and then 2 people left. The 3 of us managed to get to round 37 but couldn't get past it so we decided to call it quits there. Shit gets intense once you hit that round 30 boss. Was a lot of fun.

Iceman829

I wish on the voting part it didn't include the chance to play the same match you just did. I just did 3 Arms Races on Gridlock..

I'm so sick of playing on Gridlock. That map needs to be taken out back and put down. It's been in every game and for some reason in Gears 4 it seems to have a higher % of appearing.

Start a quickmatch - 5/10 times I was put into gridlock
Join a social playlist - gridlock, gridlock, gridlock
Start a horde match - Gridlock. Quit out of the lobby. Start again map is gridlock.

prophecy0

I enjoyed the campaign thoroughly and didn't have the problem with the deebees that you did. That being said - yes you fight new enemies soon. OF which there are a few bullet sponge enemies to replace the heavies.

Full disclosure - I have completed campaign solo on hardcore and am halfway through Act 5 on hardcore co-op.

We're on hardcore. I've never been a fan of bullet sponge enemies in any game.It just feels like such an artificial way to increase "difficulty" and it always comes off as tedious to me. I had the same complaint with Destiny. My comment above was harsher than I intended it to be. My friend and I are still having a great time even though I'm not enjoying the combat as much as I'd like.

bede-x

Thank you. I'd heard that wasn't the case, nice to know they were wrong.

I can't even enter Horde mode on Xbox One if I unplug my internet:

DaXIk7S.jpg

It very likely that they want to keep track of what cards you have access to and the best way to protect microtransactions, is requiring you to be online. Thus no offline support, unlike previous Gears. And unlike those games it also means even those with physical copies won't be able to play it the minute they close the servers.

On PC it's even worse. They brought back the original Xbox One DRM there, so the game simply won't start if you aren't connected to the internet.

Were people having trouble with Amazon shipping this on time? Two of my buddies still haven't gotten their games yet. They keep moving the shipping date back every day.

Two questions:

1. Do you guys have problems with spawns especially in private death match? It seems to me that the game makes no effort to spawn a player away from an enemy even when it should be easily accomplished. Several times last night, people spawned right next to enemies.

2. Is there a way to have some bots in private MP but not every slot filled? If we have 2 players can we just add 2 bots?

The upgrade for amount of credits earned per game is still painfully low. It would take around 50 games to unlock one of those customization packs, depending on which game types you're playing and how many wins vs losses.

Tried tom play the co-op versus against insane bots last night got 26 credits for a match I did well in, dropped down played against normal bots just to see and it also gave me 26 credits. That means it would take 136 matches against bots to buy the 3500 credit pack. Seriously the Coalition that is fucked up.

Sky87

They really need to support Join-in-progress for Horde. I have no idea why they keep overlooking this in every Gears game. Nobody has the patience for 50 waves as it takes between 1 and 2 hours at minimum with randoms.

I don't see why it wouldn't be supported. It's not a competitive gamemode. At least backfill it with bots as people leave.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone summarize how many hours the campaign is ?

I'm going to a family member's home for the weekend, they have an xbox one S and a nice 4K TV, wondering if I can sneak in the campaign while I'm there. (don't own an XB1 myself).

Tecnniqe

Banned
Can someone summarize how many hours the campaign is ?

I'm going to a family member's home for the weekend, they have an xbox one S and a nice 4K TV, wondering if I can sneak in the campaign while I'm there. (don't own an XB1 myself).

Depends on difficulty. But I'd say ~8 hours is a good estimation.

Just played for the first time and did a quick play online match.

Wow. Completely blown away. And I unlocked a Purple Tiger Gnasher and a Rainbow Gnasher with the free packs :)

Jobbs

Banned
Just played for the first time and did a quick play online match.

Wow. Completely blown away. And I unlocked a Purple Tiger Gnasher and a Rainbow Gnasher with the free packs :)

I keep getting fucking emblem after emblem after emblem. Hardly getting any weapon skins

Bumhead

Banned
Just started this. Now at Act 1 Stage 3.

Really loved getting back into Gears' gameplay. I still don't think any other third person shooter has ever nailed this the way Gears does, and it feels like putting on an old pair of shoes. I guess the way these games play is just timeless to me.

Not sure on the direction of the campaign at this stage but obviously early days.

Top Bottom