• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Theorry

anchorman-i-dont-know-what.gif

Soulflarz

Banned

Theres an achievement for carrying your custom lancer through the entire game
on 4-4 I got an instant game over at the end of the chapter due to a bad checkpoint+jank AI

I have no choice but to redo it from the menu, hence I lose that achievement and have to redo by far the hardest and longest chapter in the game on solo insane so far.
*so yeah, I'm annoyed*

Azzawon

I hate arms race.. if I get that in quickmatch I usually bail

had my weapon switch mid-firefight :p it's dumb

Yeah it can be really annoying sometimes. Running up to someone with a gnasher, and as soon as you get ready to blast them into smithereens... BAM, LONGSHOT

J-Roderton

I played a lot of Arms Race yesterday. I really like it. I just jumped in to be able to try all of those weapons I haven't had a chance to yet and stuck around for quite a while.

-Really not crazy about the new Boltok reticle.
-The Dropshot is pretty cool to use, I guess.
-Longshot is still satisfying as fuck.
-As is the Embar.
-Also getting crossmap Boomshots is fun.

That's the one thing that did kinda piss me off about it.

BHK3

Banned
How do you actually kill the Snatcher boss in horde? Does the glowing points on enemies in this game indicate weak points because nothing seems to work. Getting it on wave 10 with low energy is bad but past wave 20 where it has DOUBLE health? It's practically unkillable. Even on the Brumak I just shoot it till it dies since apparently the glowing points are just for show on that thing, it never popped or stumbled.

Also dropshot really needs to be nerfed or something done with the explosions, Scions being able to oneshot you from cross map even when you roll away from the damn thing is infuriating. That + Snatcher boss is a nightmare, I can't even imagine this past Hardcore unless you get a lot more energy and you just have sentries everywhere.

I sorta wish they had just a vanilla horde, like gears 2 where it's just survival. I never played gears 3 or Judgement but this is very reliant on energy management which I can't achieve with random mic-less keyboard-less xbox players(pc here). The barriers do a lot of work for what they are but one exploding robot can kill sentries pretty easily...

Teammates who never revive are the worst !!!

I blame xbox players, my field of view is bigger than there's so they actually can't see me grabbing at their ankles D:

vort3x

"XBOX ONE SPECIFIC

Hitching at the beginning of a Multiplayer match / during extended sessions
We have identified a fix for the hitching that occurs at the start of a Multiplayer match on Xbox One in the past couple of days. We have temporary workaround solutions, but we will be rectifying the issue as soon as possible with a small Title Update.
Solution: Open four other games (allow them to load past the initial splash screen) and then load Gears of War 4.

This worked last night. I tried it right after they posted that. I loaded up 4 different arcade games, let them load all the way through. Went back to gears and it works fine. No hiccups.

The enforcer needs either a range nerf or damage nerf. Its very op right now. I can down people twice the range of a shotgun. I haven't tried running gnasher/enforcer combo. Not sure if you even can do that but I might start doing it because of the ttk on that thing is very low.

nOoblet16

How do you actually kill the Snatcher boss in horde? Does the glowing points on enemies in this game indicate weak points because nothing seems to work. Getting it on wave 10 with low energy is bad but past wave 20 where it has DOUBLE health? It's practically unkillable. Even on the Brumak I just shoot it till it dies since apparently the glowing points are just for show on that thing, it never popped or stumbled.

Also dropshot really needs to be nerfed or something done with the explosions, Scions being able to oneshot you from cross map even when you roll away from the damn thing is infuriating. That + Snatcher boss is a nightmare, I can't even imagine this past Hardcore unless you get a lot more energy and you just have sentries everywhere.

I sorta wish they had just a vanilla horde, like gears 2 where it's just survival. I never played gears 3 or Judgement but this is very reliant on energy management which I can't achieve with random mic-less keyboard-less xbox players(pc here). The barriers do a lot of work for what they are but one exploding robot can kill sentries pretty easily...

I blame xbox players, my field of view is bigger than there's so they actually can't see me grabbing at their ankles D:

I am on xbox myself. Talking about versus. If someone's down there is an icon and if I am right next to you there is no excuse for you to not revive and instead move about trying to take an enemy out that's far away. Most of the time they get killed before I get up because they didn't revive me for extra backup and because they die thst leaves me with no backup as soon as I get up.

The enforcer needs either a range nerf or damage nerf. Its very op right now. I can down people twice the range of a shotgun. I haven't tried running gnasher/enforcer combo. Not sure if you even can do that but I might start doing it because of the ttk on that thing is very low.
You can use an Enforcer/Gnasher combo, but you don't want to lose that range. Rolling with a Hammerburst/Enforcer is really, really good. You just need to play the corners properly and be aware that you're not within range of a surprise attack from a Gnasher.
I hate arms race.. if I get that in quickmatch I usually bail

Yeah it can be really annoying sometimes. Running up to someone with a gnasher, and as soon as you get ready to blast them into smithereens... BAM, LONGSHOT
You'll get used to it the more you play, and there's also a timer counting down to let you know when weapons change. I personally love the mode.

I don't think there's a single bad mode in this game; I love it all lol.

Absolutely. Best Gears with some subtle improvements that make a lot of difference to the dynamism of the game.

Yes. The campaign is pretty meaty in itself and you almost can never go wrong with Horde in Gears.

Neat! I'll buy it on PC next month. Already bought Recore and Forza Horizon 3, so I'm set for October :)

With all the Play Anywhere games I'm getting, I'll have a huge library right from the get-go if I ever get an Xbox One...

JimiNutz

Banned
Fuck it pains me to say it but I may need to abandon the Gnasher for the Enforcer.
The inconsistencies with the Gnasher drive me crazy lol

Also what sensitivity are people using? I've turned look and target sensitivity up to 20... Not sure if that's too much.

Spent like 2 hours getting to wave 50 since we had two people leave around wave 30. Got to wave 50, beat boss but died with like 7 enemies left. The third guy leaves and then me and the last guy couldn't clutch it out. Such a waste l. There really needs to be penalties for people wasting 2 hours of your life, or since it's not ranked, let people join mid match so we can keep 5 people and be semi successful

m23

The hammerburst is a beast in PvP. I used it in 3 as well, I have far better luck with it than the lancer. Played some koth last night and man is it good to be playing gears again. Loving the shotgun so far.

I did get kicked from a match at one point though and then was unable to connect to gears servers until I restarted the game. Sucks because my squad lost the match because of that.

Also....that end to act 2, wow.

Gears of War 4 campaign is my favorite one and the only game that has made me care about the plot in Gears.

4>3>1>2>J

The only part I kinda disliked were the Horde modes shoehorneds through the game, but still very fun to play due to the awesome gameplay.

Can't wait for Gears of War 5.

Leyasu

Banned
I ran hammerburst/enforcer for a couple of games last night. The enforcer is more than viable.

My go to combo hammerburst/gnasher is the only way to go Imo.

leng jai

Neat! I'll buy it on PC next month. Already bought Recore and Forza Horizon 3, so I'm set for October :)

With all the Play Anywhere games I'm getting, I'll have a huge library right from the get-go if I ever get an Xbox One...

If you want to play it next month then you should probably start downloading it now. It's 73GB and prone to failing halfway through due to the Window's Store being incredibly terrible.

J-Roderton

I ran hammerburst/enforcer for a couple of games last night. The enforcer is more than viable.

My go to combo hammerburst/gnasher is the only way to go Imo.

I'm working on getting better with the hammerburst big time. I still can't imagine playing pvp without a gnasher, though. I haven't used the enforcer too much yet.

Leyasu

Banned
Im actually shit with it compared to the Lancer.
Do you need to aim for the head? How many shots to down with it because I can't down anything with it?

Three or four (i havent counted) well placed bursts and people are down. I dropped two with one clip last night.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Bit of a weird question, but did anyone think the pre-fab city in act 1 looked a bit cartooney? I actually thought the colour of my TV needed adjusting.

Also how accurate are the reports that the campaign is 6 hours long? My XB1 will be gone on Saturday morning so I don't have much time to get it finished before-hand. I'd have had more time but it took forever to fucking download.

Stanng243

Can anyone tell me if Horde is playable offline? I've got no interest in playing multiplayer or online, so this is a make or break situation for me.

Jobbs

Banned
Anyone else having a love affair with the hammer burst?

In a lot of king of the hill matches it's like shooting fish in a barrel

Jumeira

Banned
Interesting stuff!

My LETS PLAY video. The first 30 minutes on PC with settings maxed out @1440p60fps

I've always found the GoW style shooting to be my favourite kind, and altough the games fare varyingly, they've always been pretty great fun. Especially from the same sofa. Actually, I think that this is the only game that I really prefer to play from the sofa with a friend. Hmm... I suppose I should say that the four player co-op from the same screen was a bit too much. I don't think I enjoyed the game as much - not because I didn't see the AWSUM GRAPHIX, but rather, playing through a keyhole wasn't much fun.

Downloading the GoW4 was... interesting. When the whole download debacle was over and done, I did have some trouble starting the game. The loading icon on the lower right corner just kept rolling. After a reboot things started working a bit better and I was able to play the actual game. The epilogue is downright poor, but it does introduce the players to the essentials of GoW, though quite hamfistedly. What I found surprising was that the surroundings looked very plain and empty, but I'm sure that its just the epilogue. As it feels like something that was inserted last minute.

When we get to the actual story things felt a lot more interesting than the previous games altogether. Maybe its just that I've forgotten a lot. Maybe its the same song that the previous games were playing over and over and over. Regardless, I'm hype! For some reason I found the storm a very interesting piece and I do hope that it plays a huge role in the actual stages. Or at least some of them.

My biggest gripe is that the crossplay doesn't work. I'm not sure if others have managed to get it working but we sures heck didn't, even after few reboots and fiddling with network settings. I hope its something that gets fixed, or I find a solution to. Not the best of starts for the game but what big release didn't come into the world without some pains in the beginning?

Thanks for the video, looks beautiful on PC. Watching this without playing it really showed off elements I kind of missed. The blood splatter in this game is something else, buckets of thick, gelatinous flesh and blood exploding in front of you, limbs flying everywhere, complete carnage of war. Terrifying at times.

Novocaine

Does the chat pad allow you to type to people in game? I was in a match of Horde earlier with a PC guy and he was typing a bunch of stuff that I couldn't respond to.

GWX

Still haven't got my classic Gears codes :(

Unless codes from Nvidia aren't eligible and I'm waiting for nothing. Please tell me it ain't so.

cackhyena

So I have the code for this game and keep getting an error message when putting it in. It recognizes it's the right code but says this service is unavailable right now. I check Xbox services and everything is running fine. Anyone else having this issue?

Top Bottom