• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

But this is a prequel ??? Anything pointing towards a second "prequel"?. Seems pretty shady if true.
It's a prequel in that it takes place before the other games. Gears of War has always been light on fleshing out it's universe within the games. Remember the Sires from Gears 2? What was the deal with those? Why is Queen Myrrah seemingly a human with a prior relationship to Adam Fenix? Basically, go read the books.

But this is a prequel ??? Anything pointing towards a second "prequel"?. Seems pretty shady if true.
They can probably expand the conflict between the UIR and the COG, then have an entire game about emergence day. In either case, I guarantee they will make more fun Gears games, and still say absolutely nothing about who exactly are the locust, why is the queen human, etc. I know there are theories but COME ON EPIC. Don't make the forum goers do your job!

It's a prequel in that it takes place before the other games. Gears of War has always been light on fleshing out it's universe within the games. Remember the Sires from Gears 2? What was the deal with those? Why is Queen Myrrah seemingly a human with a prior relationship to Adam Fenix? Basically, go read the books.

Iv never read any of the books and i know the answer to all of that.

Sires where the first people to suffer mutation due to imulsion infection from overexposure their children where altered on a DNA level and thus the locust were born.

Adam was trying to buy time by telling Myrrah he was working on a cure for the lambancy (which turns out to be the entire plot of Gears 3)

Sires where the first people to suffer mutation due to imulsion infection from overexposure their children where altered on a DNA level and thus the locust were born.
You must have read this on the Gears wiki because none of this is explained in the games.

Adam was trying to buy time by telling Myrrah he was working on a cure for the lambancy (which turns out to be the entire plot of Gears 3)
That much is ALL the game reveals about Myrrah.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Discovering more and more bugs in MP each day now. I've said it before. They need to patch this quickly.

And I'm already getting tired of the maps as well. The library is just a mess, Gondola too narrow and the rig is kinda "meh". More please. A lot more! Maps with more focus on teams and not just FFA.

At least the matches can be pretty intense, and I'm glad to see more people finding their way to Judgment. Bots are so boring.

You must have read this on the Gears wiki because none of this is explained in the games.

Not sure where i picked it up, Now i think back it might of been from the epic forums from a developers post

That much is ALL the game reveals about Myrrah.

Again no idea where i got this from but one of the gears 2 collectables talks about a perfect fusion of locust and human DNA i think a girl called ruby and i always figured she became the queen.

Aftermath was indeed awesome, more like your typical Gears campaign and it left me wishing Judgment had been a bit more like it. That said, it was easier and didn't really require me to mix up my tactics as much.

Grisby

Man, put some hours into Overrun. A bitch to level up though it seems if your team follows you down the line the trenches can be chewed threw pretty fast.

Sigh, don't know if I want to take it in the ass for that Season Pass yet. I do so love me some Gears.

Kabuto

I just sent you a FR. My wife and I will be on tonight. My GT is yankeeh8er.

Great games tonight! 5 Tickers = victory haha.

Overrun is very fun if you have competent teammates. When I was playing against a team that knew what they were doing, I could not do anything. I do have a couple of problems with the mode:

I feel as if the Turrents for the Engineers are a little too strong; they have way more health than they should.

If this is an indication of what the retail game is like, then I see a lot of people just using the grenadier and shooting at/lobbing grenades at the e-hole from a distance. When I was playing against a team with 3-4 people doing that, it made the game very boring and hard to stop them since they are all in a group.

Other than that, the game is pretty fun and I love the Y button weapon switch. Is there a way to still use the tac com in Judgment? I miss it :(

Overrun is very fun if you have competent teammates. When I was playing against a team that knew what they were doing, I could not do anything. I do have a couple of problems with the mode:

I feel as if the Turrents for the Engineers are a little too strong; they have way more health than they should.

If this is an indication of what the retail game is like, then I see a lot of people just using the grenadier and shooting at/lobbing grenades at the e-hole from a distance. When I was playing against a team with 3-4 people doing that, it made the game very boring and hard to stop them since they are all in a group.

Other than that, the game is pretty fun and I love the Y button weapon switch. Is there a way to still use the tac com in Judgment? I miss it :(

Yeah that was a lot of fun. The 5 ticker spawn is unstoppable. We didnt lose a single match that we started at the beginning. I totally agree about turrets being OP though. They take you down in a second and even the rager cant shoot them and kill them. The groups that would roll with 5 grenadiers are so annoying to play against. On the 1st 2 rounds they would throw grenades over the buildings and hit the e-hole. They definitely need to fix that. Cant wait to play this for real on Tuesday.

Yupp, definitely feels like it.

Good to know I'm not going crazy! I might chuck Gears 3 in later and test some comparative weapons, but for now, it definitely seems like the dead zone is too big. Other than that, I am loving the gun. Very satisfying to use; possibly OP, but it is pretty difficult to use effectively in CQC.

I'm definitely warming to Overrun, but having a decent team is imperative. At the other end of he spectrum, FFA has me pretty excited, too; just me, a gun and no one else to blame (well, maybe some shitty spawns every now and then, if I'm feeling supremely deluded).

I love the removal of the active reload damage buff. A speed buff is more than ample. And the grenade quick-throw and weapon switching definitely suits the pace of the game nicely.

Still unsure about the movement speed of the Grenadier, as he's pretty damn slow, but he's also pretty insanely equipped. And we had two Wretches absolutely demolish an E-Hole pretty quickly in one game, so maybe a nerf is in order there once it begins to be exploited.

All in all, I'm excited for a Gears game again, so I'm happy.

Teknoman

So since People Can Fly are involved...I wonder if the boss battles will be more direct fights instead of having to switch between smaller enemies and then a little with the main.

Also would be nice if the "objective" type matches dont die too soon after launch. Then again, every game with a DM/TDM usually has the majority of the pop centered there.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, tickers are nuts.

I think the engineer turret is fine. It only lasts 8 seconds on its own and the cooldown is large, so it can be waited out. I do think it should make some kind of audio so it's evident when you turn a corner one is nearby.

Your second point is why I feel like the engineer should be able to (slowly) heal the cover/generator. The grenade spam can slowly whittle, but it ends up being extremely good when it's permanent damage. Same with ticker rushes, specifically in the second area where it is very easy to boost around the corner up a ramp right to it.

Tac is on dpad now. Which is weird.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ugh...at the lack of multi-player maps. Gonna turn into Halo 4 at launch where you end up playing the same map over and over and over again.

Kabuto

Yeah, tickers are nuts.

I think the engineer turret is fine. It only lasts 8 seconds on its own and the cooldown is large, so it can be waited out. I do think it should make some kind of audio so it's evident when you turn a corner one is nearby.

Your second point is why I feel like the engineer should be able to (slowly) heal the cover/generator. The grenade spam can slowly whittle, but it ends up being extremely good when it's permanent damage. Same with ticker rushes, specifically in the second area where it is very easy to boost around the corner up a ramp right to it.

Tac is on dpad now. Which is weird.

oh that's where the tac was? That is really weird...

yeah Tickers are pretty crazy. They can kill an e-hole quick if you don't call one out.

I feel as if all the Locust have their uses except the Kantus. He can only heal like two or three classes, but he basically can only heal/revive Locusts that are downed/killed by rifles which is kind of dumb.

Oh and weren't Bloodmounts playable before? I'm guessing they got taken out in playtests.

Papercuts

oh that's where the tac was? That is really weird...

yeah Tickers are pretty crazy. They can kill an e-hole quick if you don't call one out.

I feel as if all the Locust have their uses except the Kantus. He can only heal like two or three classes, but he basically can only heal/revive Locusts that are downed/killed by rifles which is kind of dumb.

Oh and weren't Bloodmounts playable before? I'm guessing they got taken out in playtests.

I have been hearing Kantus is actually really good behind a pack of Maulers, which I can imagine being nuts. There are some potentially interesting locust combos in general. A grenadier can toss a grenade to a ticker to eat which makes it explode more potently. Also possible to melee tickers over barricades, but that seems useless in this particular map.

madmackem

Damn code never showed up, so i went ahead and burnt the file to disc but it showing as mixed media disc in the 360 i guess i ffed something up damn.

OrangeOak

playing cat and mouse as a wretch is hilarious,especially on the second checkpoint/hole where you can hide in the sniper nest.

Papercuts

playing cat and mouse as a wretch is hilarious,especially on the second checkpoint/hole where you can hide in the sniper nest.

I nearly took out the cover by myself as a wretch. Nobody could fucking hit me, it was amazing. Eventually an engineer put down a turret and I just ran off the ledge and melee killed him as he followed. I could almost feel the fuming rage.

OrangeOak

I nearly took out the cover by myself as a wretch. Nobody could fucking hit me, it was amazing. Eventually an engineer put down a turret and I just ran off the ledge and melee killed him as he followed. I could almost feel the fuming rage.

Yes,there is no escape from the turrets !
Breachshot is now my second favorite weapon in Gears series right behind gnasher.I hope they don't have any plans to nerf it because it is so fun.It's like blind fire snipe from Gears 1 taken to the next level.
I love it !

I reeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy hate the way the checkpoint/next E-Hole stage notification is handled. A shitty mini cutscene mid-battle that not only takes you out of the action completely, but also nullifies everything that was happening at that moment? Dumb. Surely there's a more elegant way.

Considering I played about two hours straight without getting bored last night, I'd say Overrun mode is a success. Had to adjust to the movement speed but after that it was fine.

Is Overrun the only class based mode in the full game? Also, aren't season pass holders getting two extra multilayer modes?

I reeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy hate the way the checkpoint/next E-Hole stage notification is handled. A shitty mini cutscene mid-battle that not only takes you out of the action completely, but also nullifies everything that was happening at that moment? Dumb. Surely there's a more elegant way.

Nullifies everything that was happening?

he's talking about when the E-hole is destroyed. all the action stops and the COG are respawned back to the next area.

Well at that point the krill emerge from the E-hole and that area becomes the locust spawn. So if the battle were allowed to go on, either the COG would auto die from the krill or they'd be allowed to camp in locust spawn. Both options are not good. Also I think epic did the 'mini cutscene' to spell it out in plain english just what you as a team needs to do. You know, for the COD bros who have half a brain?

Teknoman

Well at that point the krill emerge from the E-hole and that area becomes the locust spawn. So if the battle were allowed to go on, either the COG would auto die from the krill or they'd be allowed to camp in locust spawn. Both options are not good. Also I think epic did the 'mini cutscene' to spell it out in plain english just what you as a team needs to do. You know, for the COD bros who have half a brain?

I kinda like mini cutscenes in objective games since it gives you time to get a breather and its sorta like the downtime between rounds in a TDM or whatever other mode game.

Damn, they really fucked up with fluidity of it all. The game just seems to "get stuck" often. Don't like that. Also, seems to be a dead zone when aiming. Pressing R without aiming first almost never works, even if your opponent is in the hit box.

Like overrun tho.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
DgYdM5h.gif

fuckin LOL!

One thing I hate is that they removed sticking 'nades to walls.. I used to love hiding them and even putting them in obvious places like the middle of stairs. ;'[

that actually felt like a cheap tactic to me. the only time I ever used proximity plants was in Guardian as an early warning system.

REV 09

fuckin LOL!

One thing I hate is that they removed sticking 'nades to walls.. I used to love hiding them and even putting them in obvious places like the middle of stairs. ;'[

i'm very glad wall tagging is gone. Slowed the game down too much and always felt cheap. The removal of active reload weapon damage boost was also a good choice.

smik

So it Begins!!!

Die in Hell GOWJ/Overun.

Gears of War Judgement Demo - Serapede Glitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEloNVY2WU

Floating Troika Turret glitch! | Gears of War Judgement | Overrun |
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiXDmpSn8eE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjy1qg582w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7jx0-77RY

Gears of war Judgement BOT Control Glitch/Bug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28kVpwDjxu4

Gears Of War Judgment: Flying Baird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lK8k7qJaYY

Gears of war judgment: WTF glitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC7yhwXC7k0

Fucking hate what this series has become, way to many variables for glitches to occur in overun.

Top Bottom