• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
OverRun has so much potential, but the matches are too long and the pace is just too slow. Not rewarding enough so far. Feels like playing Gears 2 again.

Weird choice, slowing it down.

Hit detection is still crap. Just ridiculous! And maps are often too narrow.

Trying to find the good parts here, but not sure where to look. FFA can be exciting, I guess...

Game's growing, but I bet some people will return to G3 rather quickly.

OverRun has so much potential, but the matches are too long and the pace is just too slow. Not rewarding enough so far. Feels like playing Gears 2 again.

Weird choice, slowing it down.

Hit detection is still crap. Just ridiculous! And maps are often too narrow.

Trying to find the good parts here, but not sure where to look. FFA can be exciting, I guess...

Game's growing, but I bet some people will return to G3 rather quickly.
Overrun is a different pace to normal multi, each glass has a different speed

And also the locust

The actual game is spot on ;)

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Overrun is a different pace to normal multi, each glass has a different speed

And also the locust

The actual game is spot on ;)

Well, soldiers and such are like tanks. Don't like it. Feels weird after playing a few rounds of FFA/D/TD.

This game needs mp DLC. Fast.

smik

Holding off on the beta & pre-release purchase as i hearing its really laggy and uneven mess.

I want save my judgement until retail release (thats if i get it), but friends who have played it dont like it at all.

OrangeOak

OK, one minute guys...are you talking about the SP or the MP? Gears 1 is the best game in the series IMO and seeing you saying something like this makes me very very excited and hyped. :p

Im talking about overrun mode which is MP but it is very different experience to what we had in previous Gears.
Why Im happy though and why I think that this is more like true succesor to Gears 1 than Gears 2 and 3 is because some of the gameplay mechanics are back to the way they were in Gears 1.
Bullets from center of the screen not from barrel(which also gives us no shotgun flintch),shotgun power and range are much better.No stopping power.No granade wall tagging.
Also I really like new control scheme and I was really sad when they announced it but it's great and intuitive.Much easier and faster for me to tap Y than use this funny xbox d-pad.
One button granade throw is great too.
It's improvement and I don't now why they introduced it so late in the series.
It's different experience than Gears 1 but it's really fun and if character movement speed in classic MP modes is as fast as some classes in overrun so im sure it will be really great fun.
Overall even in this overrun mode where everyone has some different weapons and with all that turrets and other stuff on the map it plays more like Gears. It's fast and you can run with shotty or with whatever weapon you like.You can move freely across the map without stopping power or planted granades and it was very different storry in 2 and 3.At least this is true for me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
FWIW I got my gamestop email ~28 hours ago. Weird they didn't just send it all at once.

OverRun seems pretty fun, though I have mainly been playing with randoms who play like dumbasses. Extremely noticeable when I see me pick engineer and EVERYONE else is a scout. The locust then do not take long to get past the defenses because they also suck at actually shooting.

For the engineer specifically, I think he should be able to repair the object of defense, albeit slowly. It seemed on the second section of this map it is very hard to prevent a lone ticker from very quickly climbing and turning on the ramp leading with to it, and each explosion does 16%. I actually managed to get them from 100% to 0% just with ticker rushes like this on that area, as my team tried to break through on the right.

Also it seems VERY hard to push the locust back after the first wave. Second is a nice struggle but the third is typically a slaughter. It could very easily be because I have yet to play with a solid team, but when they are all churning out as a few maulers and shit goddamn. Most hilarious match finish I had was me and another player as Corpsers, 2 maulers and a Rager all beating the shit out of the generator. Everyone was dead.

Shady859

Still no code from GameStop -_- demo officially starts in 30 minutes too.

If it helps, it's been going all day... I woke up at 7am yesterday downloaded and played. ;)

Mixed feelings not sure yet if i'm buying since it'd be actually buying, already have 2 from gamefly out. :( I hated it at first but now it's growing on me more. The other modes might make things more fun.

Judging by the gameplay trailers and screenshots I can not understand why more 3rd person AAA shooters look so damn clean and gorgeous. It is not like the UE3 is off limits to everyone else.

Feindflug

Im talking about overrun mode which is MP but it is very different experience to what we had in previous Gears.
Why Im happy though and why I think that this is more like true succesor to Gears 1 than Gears 2 and 3 is because some of the gameplay mechanics are back to the way they were in Gears 1.
Bullets from center of the screen not from barrel(which also gives us no shotgun flintch),shotgun power and range are much better.No stopping power.No granade wall tagging.
Also I really like new control scheme and I was really sad when they announced it but it's great and intuitive.Much easier and faster for me to tap Y than use this funny xbox d-pad.
One button granade throw is great too.
It's improvement and I don't now why they introduced it so late in the series.
It's different experience than Gears 1 but it's really fun and if character movement speed in classic MP modes is as fast as some classes in overrun so im sure it will be really great fun.
Overall even in this overrun mode where everyone has some different weapons and with all that turrets and other stuff on the map it plays more like Gears. It's fast and you can run with shotty or with whatever weapon you like.You can move freely across the map without stopping power or planted granades and it was very different storry in 2 and 3.At least this is true for me.

Thanks for the answer, the grenade tagging and to a lesser extent the stopping power were my biggest complaints in Gears 3 so those two changes in Judgment are definitely a plus IMO.

Also some impressions from the guys that are playing the campaign would've been greatly appreciated. :p

Just finished the campaign. The story, characters and dialogue were basically all pretty uninteresting. Not a big deal, but I've always found the story in the Gears series entertaining for what it was and Judgment's story is a let-down in that regard. Thankfully, though, the campaign is fun (and I imagine will be much more so with friends). The campaign lacked any big set piece moments/bosses, but the combat throughout was really entertaining and each encounter felt unique from another (particularly thanks to the declassified missions), People Can Fly did a great job in that regard.

The biggest problem I encountered was the one I mentioned earlier in the thread where the random elements to the weapon (it might be my imagination, but weapon spawns seem to have a slight random element to them, but it doesn't seem to change up as regularly as enemy spawns do) and enemy spawns mixed with a Berserker's appearance (not random) resulted in me not having a Scorcher to kill it with. The section became broken and I had to restart from the last checkpoint - which wasn't a big deal, but naturally it's not an ideal situation. It was disappointing to see in that it showed a certain lack of polish not normally seen in the series (or this game, for that matter).

I don't know that I'd want every potential Gears sequel to follow Judgment's formula, but it's a really cool spin on the typical campaign infused with some horde-mode DNA and a dash of People Can Fly's creativity. I would count it as a worthy entry into the series purely for the gameplay contained within and what looks to be some real potential for repeat plays, even if it pales in comparison to its predecessors in other areas. As someone who comes to Gears primarily for the campaign, with only a little bit of dabbling in multiplayer, I'm very satisfied with Judgment overall. I was just a little disappointed that there was only one boss fight in the game (at least it meant I was super pumped when a boss finally showed up, I guess :p ) and that it generally lacked a certain sense of scale. That said, there are some scenarios in the game that are very cool, a great example being the way Act 4 is book-ended with firefights on a beach. I should note I haven't played through Aftermath yet.

Looking forward to friends getting the game and playing through this stuff in co-op.

Feindflug

Just finished the campaign. The story, characters and dialogue were basically all pretty uninteresting. Not a big deal, but I've always found the story in the Gears series entertaining for what it was and Judgment's story is a let-down in that regard. Thankfully, though, the campaign is fun (and I imagine will be much more so with friends). The campaign lacked any big set piece moments/bosses, but the combat throughout was really entertaining and each encounter felt unique from another (particularly thanks to the declassified missions), People Can Fly did a great job in that regard.

The biggest problem I encountered was the one I mentioned earlier in the thread where the random elements to the weapon (it might be my imagination, but weapon spawns seem to have a slight random element to them, but it doesn't seem to change up as regularly as enemy spawns do) and enemy spawns mixed with a Berserker's appearance (not random) resulted in me not having a Scorcher to kill it with. The section became broken and I had to restart from the last checkpoint - which wasn't a big deal, but naturally it's not an ideal situation. It was disappointing to see in that it showed a certain lack of polish not normally seen in the series (or this game, for that matter).

I don't know that I'd want every potential Gears sequel to follow Judgment's formula, but it's a really cool spin on the typical campaign infused with some horde-mode DNA and a dash of People Can Fly's creativity. I would count it as a worthy entry into the series purely for the gameplay contained within and what looks to be some real potential for repeat plays, even if it pales in comparison to its predecessors in other areas. As someone who comes to Gears primarily for the campaign, with only a little bit of dabbling in multiplayer, I'm very satisfied with Judgment overall. I was just a little disappointed that there was only one boss fight in the game (at least it meant I was super pumped when a boss finally showed up, I guess :p ) and that it generally lacked a certain sense of scale. That said, there are some scenarios in the game that are very cool, a great example being the way Act 4 is book-ended with firefights on a beach. I should note I haven't played through Aftermath yet.

Looking forward to friends getting the game and playing through this stuff in co-op.

Thanks for the impressions! Campaign sounds like a lot of fun, especially the declassified missions at co-op on harder difficulties may turn out a blast.

BTW in what difficulty level did you play and how many hours did you spent on the SP? I'm asking because Judgment supposedly was gonna be much more challenging than Gears 3.

I'm ashamed to admit I only played on normal :p, so it was definitely forgiving, but at times would demand I take advantage of things I'd never really made much use of in previous games, for example tagging walls with grenades. Difficulty felt comparable to previous games on normal with some more demanding spots here and there. The game probably would have been somewhat easier in parts without the declassified versions of each section.

As for length, I'd estimate each act of Judgment took an hour to complete, so around 6 hours give or take. I'm guessing aftermath will be another hour. Not terribly long, but I didn't really notice, myself. The importance of that sort of thing is obviously going to vary from person to person though.

Grisby

So I went to GS and just had them print me out a code. I'd do the same if you were waiting on an email like me.

Had one Overrun match and they're pretty long. The grenade fuse seems super short too. Had a pretty fun time by being a medic but yeah, the overall movement stuff seemed slightly slower.

So weird to hit 'y' to switch weapons. I must have hit the dpad a dozen times during the match.

funo

Wait, how do you unlock Aftermath? Does anybody know?

You have to earn a certain number of stars during the campaign, the higher the difficulty and the better you play (e.g. declassified missions, headshots, fewer deaths) the more stars you earn. I think it's 42 stars to unlock Aftermath, not sure anymore though

XxCGSxX

I got a couple of things I didn't like. There is ALOT of noticeable button lag when reloading and throwing grenades. This didn't happen to me with Gears 3. Also I don't know if there is active reload in this because the bullets don't flash in the hud. This couple of things killed my hype, especially the button lag which I don't even know if the game is designed like that for the locust grenadier class or if it's a server problem.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tickers are godlike. I pretty much straight troll teams with them and wretches until I have so many points racked up I can just spawn in multiple maulers in a row.

I got a couple of things I didn't like. There is ALOT of noticeable button lag when reloading and throwing grenades. This didn't happen to me with Gears 3. Also I don't know if there is active reload in this because the bullets don't flash in the hud. This couple of things killed my hype, especially the button lag which I don't even know if the game is designed like that for the locust grenadier class or if it's a server problem.

Active reload is gone, it now just is a faster reload with no extra damage. Personally that is great to me as the reload being quick is perk enough, I never liked the other benefits of it.

Grisby

Wish there was more meat on this demo. I like switching up the classes on COG though.
Tickers are godlike. I pretty much straight troll teams with them and wretches until I have so many points racked up I can just spawn in multiple maulers in a row.
They are awesome. You can bum rush the E-hole with them when there's a clear path.

I miss active reload though. Feels like a part of my soul is gone. Is it available in SP at least?

bidguy

Banned
Anyone else got an email from Xbox regarding Gears ?
They sent me a weapon skin. Don't need it though so have fun :

MJ9JV-2TX2W-9HYTH-7KFTR-GHK4Z

funo

I miss active reload though. Feels like a part of my soul is gone. Is it available in SP at least?

Active Reload is available in SP, yes! It will empower your next couple of shots when you hit a perfect active reload.
Active Reload is also present in some of the MP modes but it won't give your bullets more power! It will merely make you reload faster.

Wish there was more meat on this demo. I like switching up the classes on COG though.

They are awesome. You can bum rush the E-hole with them when there's a clear path.

Yup.

Grisby

Active Reload is available in SP, yes! It will empower your next couple of shots when you hit a perfect active reload.
Active Reload is also present in some of the MP modes but it won't give your bullets more power! It will merely make you reload faster.
I see. Well, have to get used to it I guess.

Kabuto

So I went to GS and just had them print me out a code. I'd do the same if you were waiting on an email like me.

yeah just did this and the demo is downloading for me right now. hyped to play with it with a friend or two.

Anyone on GAF want to make a team with me? I hear Overrun isn't as fun if you play with randoms. GT: Donaldduck287

Finished the campaign. The action is great but I hate how
they reveal absolutely nothing. Just like Gears 3. *sigh* Oh MS. Here you are with a great property with a potentially interesting mythos, and you absolutely waste it.

I love Gears but I really hate how there is zero, literally no effort, at writing a competent storyline for it. I guess they are making sure that they can make Gears games infinitely.

bidguy

Banned
they reveal absolutely nothing. Just like Gears 3. *sigh* Oh MS. Here you are with a great property with a potentially interesting mythos, and you absolutely waste it.

But this is a prequel ??? Anything pointing towards a second "prequel"?. Seems pretty shady if true.

yeah just did this and the demo is downloading for me right now. hyped to play with it with a friend or two.

Anyone on GAF want to make a team with me? I hear Overrun isn't as fun if you play with randoms. GT: Donaldduck287

I just sent you a FR. My wife and I will be on tonight. My GT is yankeeh8er.

Top Bottom