• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Kibbles

d2FuGdi.png

DLC Season Pass pre-order? What? With 4 maps, all DLC maps should be free.

Anyone wants some Judgement DLC? I don't really get what it is. Young Dom, Anya, Hammerburst, whatever that means. I guess multiplayer?

Quote to reveal

I'm not sure why people put a lot of stock in the People Can Fly name, or at least the talent pool of Painkiller. Looking at the credits, only 2-3 developers from PCF who worked on Painkiller worked on either Bulletstorm (Adrian Chmielarz - creative director, Wojciech Madry - level design) or Hard Reset (Michal Sadowski - level design, Marek Galach). The rest went and did something else (Bartek Sokolowski - lead programmer of Painkiller, Pawel Ruszkiewicz - weapon design).

Adrian, Andrzej Poznanski (level design), Michal Kosieradzki (character design) left last year to form The Astronauts (Vanishing of Ethan Carter). They were the original founders of PCF.

The rest might be talented but this is not the Painkiller team at all that you're seeing the fruits of labor of. Just my 2 cents.

allan-bh

I believe many people will come back fast to Gears 3 MP.

4 maps is as joke. (And they are only 4, what really counts is TDM)

ChristianS

Neo Member
Messofanego - you still have Wojtek Mądry (lead LD), Sebastian Woldański (tools programmer), Michał Nowak (senior LD) who are still in PCF and did Painkiller.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
4 maps is kinda hilarious, but then, I'd be buying the game for the single player anyway since I don't want to pay for Live at this point. As much as I love Gears, though... I just don't know if I wanna drop $60 on it.

Messofanego - you still have Wojtek Mądry (lead LD), Sebastian Woldański (tools programmer), Michał Nowak (senior LD) who are still in PCF and did Painkiller.

I'm waiting for someone to post the credits of Judgment on Youtube to see if they're still there. Madry is still a crucial guy if he's there.

EDIT: Oh wait you are a PCF guy, ok cool to know :D

Plasma

Banned
Only shipping with four TDM maps is a bit of a joke, that's the same amount that was in the Gears 3 beta and as much as I enjoyed that the map rotation got a bit boring after awhile.

Gartooth

I agree with all the sentiments about a lack of content in the game, but I have faith that the experience will more than make up for it after PCF's work on Bulletstorm. (The whole season pass situation makes everything seem a bit sketchy though)

-PXG-

My GS which does regular midnight releases, isn't doing one for this game. They did one for Ascension....five people showed up.

Conor 419

Banned
Overwhelmingly disappointing reviews for this game, another Microsoft IP which has fallen from grace in terms of quality, a worrying day for the Xbox brand.

Overwhelmingly disappointing reviews for this game, another Microsoft IP which has fallen from grace in terms of quality, a worrying day for the Xbox brand.

LOL, the reviews are overwhelming positive for this game. The only people that this is a orrying day for are trolls.

Conor 419

Banned
"Disappointing" does not mean bad, "disappointing" means that it has not met realistically high standards.

I've just read two Eurogamer reviews, both emphasise the game being basic and familiar, with its main strength lying on replay-ability rather than innovation. Gears of War has been better than this, this title is quite clearly a step down from those which came before it, so I don't see how being disappointed is 'trolling'.

"Disappointing" does not mean bad, "disappointing" means that it has not met realistically high standards.

I've just read two Eurogamer reviews, both emphasise the game being basic and familiar, with its main strength lying on replay-ability rather than innovation. Gears of War has been better than this, this title is quite clearly a step down from those which came before it, so I don't see how being disappointed is 'trolling'.

When you said disappointing reviews it seemed like you were talking score wise, the scores have been very good and if you read the blurbs in the review thread they all seem very positive about the game. I have no idea what your realistically high standards are, but the reviews I have read sound like this game is much better then people were expecting for a side game made by a new developer.

Conor 419

Banned
When you said disappointing reviews it seemed like you were talking score wise, the scores have been very good and if you read the blurbs in the review thread they all seem very positive about the game. I have no idea what your realistically high standards are, but the reviews I have read sound like this game is much better then people were expecting for a side game made by a new developer.

No...

I've also just read TheEscapist's review and watched the GT review and witnessed further emphasis that this title is not delivering anything significantly new for both the series and the genre. This is a reasonable thing to be disappointed by, if peoples highest expectations for the game were, like Halo, "oh thank fuck it's decent", then they should be re-evaluating their expectations.

quickwhips

Overrun is awesome people are digging this game that hated gears 3. I think PeopleCanFly Made changes that would draw more people in. Haters gonna Hate.

No...

I've also just read TheEscapist's review and watched the GT review and witnessed further emphasis that this title is not delivering anything significantly new for both the series and the genre. This is a reasonable thing to be disappointed by, if peoples highest expectations for the game were, like Halo, "oh thank fuck it's decent", then they should be re-evaluating their expectations.

How you can say that they are not offering anything new to the series is beyond me. The whole game is built around them trying new things. I posted a huge list of changes in the review thread, and several other people have mentioned them as well.

Conor 419

Banned
How you can say that they are not offering anything new to the series is beyond me. The whole game is built around them trying new things. I posted a huge list of changes in the review thread, and several other people have mentioned them as well.

You've misinterpreted what I have said; again.

From what I've witnessed, there has been nothing significantly groundbreaking.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
XP booster microtransactions

I know we've seen this before but what's next for the video game industry? microtransactions that finish the game for us? pathetic

"While getting double XP for every match won’t necessarily mean you’ll be a better player, it will, however, give you earlier access to more equipment, guns and other unlockable stuff."

Er, will it? Gears has never tied anything important to level ups.

"While getting double XP for every match won’t necessarily mean you’ll be a better player, it will, however, give you earlier access to more equipment, guns and other unlockable stuff."

Er, will it? Gears has never tied anything important to level ups.

in gears2? no it was just a title update.
in gears3 though it was tied to character/weapon skin unlocks. not important
in judgment? who knows, it might unlock different weapons for our loadouts in addition to skins.

-PXG-

Lol your really butt hurt by this game. I mean I know you made the gears 3 op but seriously?

They are changing their game into something that caters to a fickle, disloyal group of people who will quickly move onto to another game. People who've stuck with the series are getting a product full changes they never asked for.

Some are good, some aren't. Overall, it's frusturating.

Also, (maybe mentioned in the other thread)frag tagging was an awful mechanic. I'm glad it's, gone. It slowed down the pace of the game too much.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
in judgment? who knows, it might unlock different weapons for our loadouts in addition to skins.

I figured we would have heard about that by now if that was the case. If it's just skins again then the double xp stuff doesn't mean anything. It's dumb, but no dumber than the ABSURDLY priced weapon skin pack from gears 3.

They are changing their game into something that caters to a fickle, disloyal group of people who will quickly move onto to another game.
Its a side project though, not a full on numbered Gears. Why not let them experiment and try some new things?

Halo ODST didn't end up changing Halo campaigns, although it did bring Firefight into the fold.

shinnn

Eurogamer review:
Levelling up in Judgment doesn't unlock better weapons or new abilities. Whether playing solo, co-op or versus, there's no tangible advantage to be gained from grinding. Instead, persistent success at specific feats will earn you ribbons and medals from a vast selection. Medals come in four tiers, which offer no gameplay benefit but instead provide unique titles visible to other players. There is a constant progression stream underpinning everything you do, and everything you unlock has only one purpose: to show other players what you've earned, how far you've come, how damn good you are. This is a shooter with a brilliantly level playing field where bragging rights are the only currency of value

derFeef

Hm if you order the game on Amazon (germany/austria) you get a free 360 Wireless controller, 400 MS points, Cole unlock and a skin.

Hm if you order the game on Amazon (germany/austria) you get a free 360 Wireless controller, 400 MS points, Cole unlock and a skin.
Damn, just checked my US pre-order at Amazon and all I get is a Yong Dom, whatever the hell that is. I'm guessing its a dumpling of some kind.

Amazon said:
* Pre-order bonuses include the original Gears of War DLC, the classic Hammerburst Weapon, and the exclusive "Yong Dom" character skin. With the character skin, you can play as Dom as he was at the time of Emergence Day, six weeks after his role in the brutal Pendulum Wars had come to an end. This exclusive character skin is for use in competitive multiplayer matches in Gears of War: Judgment.

-PXG-

Its a side project though, not a full on numbered Gears. Why not let them experiment and try some new things?

Halo ODST didn't end up changing Halo campaigns, although it did bring Firefight into the fold.

ODST didn't feature any drastic changes to the controls. Plus, it brought back health packs. Stamina was essentially your shield.

Besides Aftermath, Judgement features nothing that prolongs the life of Gears 3. All Judgement needed was a new campaign, all of Gears 3's existing MP content (including DLC) the new weapons, Overrun and new maps. That would have been sufficient. It would offer something new but stay true to a formula that a lot of people already enjoy. The new content would be supplementary at most, while the core content would be mostly intact and unchanged.

Everyone would win

Edit

No CoG vs Locust competitive modes is a travesty. CoG vs CoG makes no sense. Red and blue armor? Wut? No reason for them to change that. Playable Locust should have stayed. It would be a lame move, but I hope. They're DLC.

No...

OverRun is a mode that more franchises could benefit from, like that short-lived FF Versus mode in Reach. Should've went the next step and let you play as the different Covenant.

ODST didn't feature any drastic changes to the controls. Plus, it brought back health packs. Stamina was essentially your shield.

Besides Aftermath, Judgement features nothing that prolongs the life of Gears 3. All Judgement needed was a new campaign, all of Gears 3's existing MP content (including DLC) the new weapons, Overrun and new maps. That would have been sufficient. It would offer something new but stay true to a formula that a lot of people already enjoy. The new content would be supplementary at most, while the core content would be mostly intact and unchanged.

Everyone would win

Edit

No CoG vs Locust competitive modes is a travesty. CoG vs CoG makes no sense. Red and blue armor? Wut? No reason for them to change that. Playable Locust should have stayed. It would be a lame move, but I hope. They're DLC.[/B]

Agreed.. just makes too much sense ;\

Locusts being removed from competitive multiplayer is even more offensive than Elites being removed from Halo. Gears was like the pinnacle of representing team vs team with balanced (equal hitboxes) character skins!

malfcn

I ain't too mad.

Just paid $16 for Judgment. I have $45+ in RWZ coupons at Bestbuy. After I pick it up I will get another $30 plus the $5 I had before..$35 still in the back at Bestbuy.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I have like 4 GS's around me and only one of them is doing a Midnight release. Well, I'll get there around 11 and see what's up, but for some reason I doubt people will be coming in groves.

Top Bottom