• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Got my code tonight. Played 3 matches. My god I love it. The classes are all fun to play as and you really need to mix things up to be successful. I played with a group where everyone wanted to be grenadiers, and we couldnt even touch the E-hole. I also really like how all the classes move differently. Work tomorrow is going to be brutal waiting to get out and play this more.

I've only played the first two acts so far, but my one real complaint is that there hasn't been any sort of boss or anything to fight yet. It's all just combat scenario after combat scenario, so far they've all been quite well designed and a lot of fun with a decent variety of enemies, but I definitely miss bosses like Berserkers or the grander moments of more epic scale seen in Gears 2 or 3.

I really like the way they've had a fiddle with the way the campaign works and haven't been afraid to just get gamey with it. It's a pretty interesting entry into the series, I think. The added potential for multiple playthroughs in co-op thanks to differing enemy spawns is promising.

Grisby

How's the visuals/framerate impressions Meat?

The spawning mix up sounds freaking awesome. I'm now thinking of a Halo game using that system.

I haven't noticed any kind of framerate problems, seems to be running at a solid 30?

The visuals are really nice, maybe a bit much in the way of aliasing when looking at some of the environments. If there are any improvements to the overall visual quality over Gears 3 they're subtle improvements that I haven't noticed, I was at least struck by how nice the daylight lighting was in Act 2. But yeah, they're not likely to blow you away, however they are still probably the best graphics on the 360

Grisby

Cool, thanks. Was wondering what sense of scale PCF would do with the engine.

The game looks a bit smoother in some videos.

malfcn

All from the Epic Gears Forum

Character unlocks:

Baird (aftermath) - get any achievement
Cole (aftermath) - survive the 10th wave of Survival
Paduk (aftermath) - complete Aftermath
Loomis - beat the main campaign
Minh - earn 10 stars in campaign
Tai - earn 126 stars in campaign
Onyx guard (male & female) - become VIP member

Character skins:

Skeletal - earn 80 stars
Brisk - Brisk promotion
Arctic - VIP Exclusive
Big Game - VIP Exclusive
Dark Carnival - VIP Exclusive
Plaid - VIP Exclusive
Astro division - Microsoft Points
Bacon - Microsoft Points
Candy Cane - Microsoft Points
Clown - Microsoft Points
Deadly Cute - Microsoft Points
Groovy - Microsoft Points
Harlequin - Microsoft Points
HBPD Blue - Microsoft Points
Inmate - Microsoft Points
Ladybug -Microsoft Points
Neon - Microsoft Points
Paintball - Microsoft Points
Program - Microsoft Points
Skeletal - Microsoft Points
Super Hero - Microsoft Points
Tiger Stripes - Microsoft Points
Zombie - Microsoft Points
Burning - Microsoft Points
Cascade - Microsoft Points
Cracked -Microsoft Points
Digital -Microsoft Points
Double Rainbow - Microsoft Points
Chrome - Prize Box Normal
Copper - Prize Box Normal
Cel Shaded - Prize Box Epic
Mummy - Prize Box Epic
Bee - Prize Box Rare
Gold - Prize Box Rare

Weapon Skins:

Reaper - kill an Epic Reaper
Big Game - Game Guide
Brisk - Brisk promo
Lambent - Gamestop preorder
Paintball - Expertzone
Team Metal (Blue and Red) - LIVE Gold card
Team Pulse - Social media promo
Ares Bronze - VIP exclusive
Flames of Judgment - VIP exclusive
Hazardous - VIP exclusive
Hot Rod - VIP exclusive
Zebra - VIP exclusive
8 Ball - MS Points
Aurora - MS Points
Candy - MS Points
Car no. 13 - MS Points
Comic - MS Points
Double Rainbow - MS Points
Electrostatic - MS Points
Groovy - MS Points
Imperial - MS Points
Melon Farmer - MS Points
Mod Culture - MS Points
Pink Rabbit - MS Points
Shark - MS Points
Unite - MS Points
Wood - MS Points
X-ray - MS Points

Prize box skins for 7 weapons:

Burn Spray - Normal Boxes
Chrome - Normal Boxes
Gold - Rare boxes
Rib Cage - Rare Boxes
Onyx - Epic Boxes
Xbox - Epic boxes

And wow, 10 headshots in a minute: http://youtu.be/3TdEIuFQU9k

The spawning mix up sounds freaking awesome. I'm now thinking of a Halo game using that system.
I have a hard time thinking of a shooter campaign that wouldn't benefit from dynamic spawns, and its the main reason I've been hyped for this game. I'm a broken record on this, but I'd really like to see it work out and be considered for other games, where it'd fit.

I really like the way they've had a fiddle with the way the campaign works and haven't been afraid to just get gamey with it.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing when I was watching early walkthrough vids. It seems to sacrifice story for gameplay, and I'm ok with that. I'd rather it be that than the other way around.

Although I was hoping for a cohesive, Gears of War 1-type experience, this'll do, pig. This'll do.

Lagbag is atrocious, so yeah, nothing has been too fun thus far. I don't much care for Overrun, anyway. It's a Gears game; I want the weapons and navigation to do the talking, not class-perks.

Uh-oh, I've reached a point in the campaign where while defending a point a Berserker showed up and I've got nothing to kill it with. Not a single scorcher to be found. I've hit it with grenades and exhausted any boomshots provided, and there just seems to be no way to kill it. Seems like the only way to progress now is to restart the checkpoint and hope a scorcher spawns. Either I'm completely missing something or the random elements have conspired with the encounter design to create something broken.

funo

Uh-oh, I've reached a point in the campaign where while defending a point a Berserker showed up and I've got nothing to kill it with. Not a single scorcher to be found. I've hit it with grenades and exhausted any boomshots provided, and there just seems to be no way to kill it. Seems like the only way to progress now is to restart the checkpoint and hope a scorcher spawns. Either I'm completely missing something or the random elements have conspired with the encounter design to create something broken.

hint and possible spoilers :
we're talking about the final encounter in the professor's mansion, correct? there should always be 2 scorchers at the beginning of the fight, seems like they just expect the players not to use them until the end of the whole battle. Furthermore, there is a hidden wall with a bunch of secret weapons on the right hand side (facing the front door, right hand side, upper walkway) - you need to twist a statue's head to find it, it contains a scorcher among other things

hint :
there is a hidden wall with a bunch of secret weapons on the right hand side (facing the front door, right hand side, upper walkway) - you need to twist a statue's head to find it, it contains a scorcher among other things

Yeah, I'd found that, no scorcher D:

I restarted the checkpoint and sure enough when the Berserker showed up this time a bunch of Scorcher Boomers showed up with it.

PXG

simple question

do i get this or not

Definitely get it. Overrun seems better then horde or beast, so if you like those modes you will like this. It really forces you to work together. A group that isnt organized is going to get steamrolled by a group that is regardless of player skill. Fast throwing sticky grenades is so much better then the old system. It is so satisfying to stick some guy as he is rolling towards you with a gnasher. I the little I played it seems like they did a wonderful job of balancing all the classes, they are all useful and you really can help your team using each one. I also like the score at the end doesnt say anything about kills. People who are dicks and just run off and try to kill stuff wont get much out of it.

funo

Was absolutely not aiming to be aggressive. Might have to put a smiley every now and then.

As stated before, now that you can only carry 2 weapons at once the whole d-pad would not make much sense and I am pretty sure you'll get used to pressing Y after a while.

You start with frags?

Depends on what mode. In overrun each class has different weapons/support items. Locust grenadiers start with frags but I dont think any other classes do. In mp I believe everyone starts with frags, you might be able to cycle through different grenades though.

TheChits

Was absolutely not aiming to be aggressive. Might have to put a smiley every now and then.

As stated before, now that you can only carry 2 weapons at once the whole d-pad would not make much sense and I am pretty sure you'll get used to pressing Y after a while.

Apologies for taking it that way then. I had a rocky morning and am admittedly a bit irritable haha

REV 09

Definitely get it. Overrun seems better then horde or beast, so if you like those modes you will like this. It really forces you to work together. A group that isnt organized is going to get steamrolled by a group that is regardless of player skill. Fast throwing sticky grenades is so much better then the old system. It is so satisfying to stick some guy as he is rolling towards you with a gnasher. I the little I played it seems like they did a wonderful job of balancing all the classes, they are all useful and you really can help your team using each one. I also like the score at the end doesnt say anything about kills. People who are dicks and just run off and try to kill stuff wont get much out of it.

not hating on the game...but overrun is NOT horde. Nor as good imo.

not hating on the game...but overrun is NOT horde. Nor as good imo.

I know it isnt horde but it doesnt combine some element of horde and beast together. We will see about it being as good or not. I like how it is much more strategic, but I can also see how some people would prefer to just beat up on AI instead.

TRios Zen

Still nothing from GameStop

I got my e-mail from gamestop last night - hopefully yours comes through soon (haven't had a chance to play yet).

GENERALLY it seems like those who really liked the way Gears was = meh while those who didn't like the changes. Am I reading that right?

MjFrancis

Still nothing from GameStop
I haven't received anything yet, either. There wasn't a cutoff for preordering and getting the early MP, was there?

Early MP notwithstanding, I'll still have to source a Gold membership to play online. I haven't had Gold in a year, the last time I bought it was for Gears 3. I might try to find a way to string a few 24-48 hour Gold trials together if I can find some people to help me out this time. That or buy 1-3 months at whatever price I can find them at. I don't play 360 online save for Gears!

Another skin to claim:

custom_banner_2300397203395107491.png

http://t.co/OIF09arYPm

Note: Requires Facebook

My Gears buddies IRL are hard to please. The one who I thought would hate this game the most, actually kinda likes it.

I'm getting it. He is. Go for it

even with all the changes it still feels like a Gears game. the same basic core gameplay is there.

I say if you already spent the time on 3 games so far might as well go for the last one.

JB1981

Will Gears 3 be losing dedicated servers now that Judgment is out? That would bother me greatly, if so. I am coming around to the idea of giving this game a shot.

Will Gears 3 be losing dedicated servers now that Judgment is out? That would bother me greatly, if so. I am coming around to the idea of giving this game a shot.

maybe not all the servers but it seems MS has shuffled these around from Gears3beta to Gears3 to GowJ. but whether they're going to pull more bullshit where people without DLC don't get to play on dedicated servers remains to be seen.

I thought that they shut down the dedicated Gears 3 servers a while ago?

I have heard this from various people too. ranging from a few weeks after launch to just last fall. it just reeks of MS' tactics because they're the ones maintaining them.

Top Bottom