• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Gears Judgment reviews tonight, if Giant Bomb is any indication

prepare your anuses for 7-8s, ala last week's GoW prequel with newfangled multiplayer modes

TRios Zen

Put some time in overrun on Friday, and while I didn't hate it, I can't see myself playing it too often. IT seems to me it's really a matter of how fast you can un-lock the emergence holes, rather than whether or not you can actually stop the locusts. A coordinated attack of higher level locust absolutely decimates anything the cog can throw at them.

Random thoughts:

- dislike moving the weapon switching to "Y". I find myself hitting the d-pad way too often.
- I didn't really notice a difference in movement, but the one map I've played isn't really an execution or TDM map, maybe a smaller map would make difference in movement more apparent.
- Cole's primary weapon in overrun sucks.
- If sawed-off only has two shots in MP, anyone using it would have to switch off of it pretty quickly I think. That's a good thing as the gun is cheap as hell.

I've bought and played every gears to date, I will buy this on Tuesday and play the campaign to completion. I don't think my usual Live friends are dropping the 60 bones though, so it's likely I'll play only a bit of MP, then trade it in and go back to Gears 3.

I've bought and played every gears to date, I will buy this on Tuesday and play the campaign to completion. I don't think my usual Live friends are dropping the 60 bones though, so it's likely I'll play only a bit of MP, then trade it in and go back to Gears 3.

I am hoping that at least a respectable number of Aussies bite so I can get my lag-free Gears fix. As it stands now, Gears 3 in Australia is pretty barren and those that have hung around are pretty elite, which - especially given how rusty I am - isn't too enticing.

And you'll get used to the Y weapon switching; I think everyone in here has mistakenly pressed the D-pad at least 5 times.

Put some time in overrun on Friday, and while I didn't hate it, I can't see myself playing it too often. IT seems to me it's really a matter of how fast you can un-lock the emergence holes, rather than whether or not you can actually stop the locusts. A coordinated attack of higher level locust absolutely decimates anything the cog can throw at them.

that's how the game is designed. the CoGs aren't supposed to be able to hold the Locust off. It compares your Locust attack time versus theirs at the end of the match.

smik

Just a thought on execution mode and the huge problems that will arise with the gameplay

Since DBNO is in for Execution and Nades are available straight from the get go, Getting close in on the action is paramount and Executions will be impossible because of spawn-able grenades, i can see COD4 like Martyrdom which can just totally devastate whole mode and purpose of Executions. EPIC please take note and put forth a truly classic Execution experience which includes default Lancer/Gnasher/Smokes combination, as it could almost render the mode useless.

Eg1: Lancer/Pistol someone down, run towards the opponent once clear to Execute/Meatshield/shotgun, opponent presses LB for spawnable nades.

problem#1, you wont get accredited the kill because of suicides
problem#2 you wont be able to push once he is down resulting in the player getting backup
problem#3 game will become every campy and the gameplay will stop at a halt

Execution mode as of right now is setup to fail, (by EPIC) miserably.

Just a thought on execution mode and the huge problems that will arise with the gameplay

Since DBNO is in for Execution and Nades are available straight from the get go, Getting close in on the action is paramount and Executions will be impossible because of spawn-able grenades, i can see COD4 like Martyrdom which can just totally devastate whole mode and purpose of Executions. EPIC please take note and put forth a truly classic Execution experience which includes default Lancer/Gnasher/Smokes combination, as it could almost render the mode useless.

has it been confirmed that you can start off with Bolo Grenades in execution? maybe it's just Smokes.

Grisby

Man, you don't get a lot of XP for these long matches. Wonder if it's because they cut it for that season pass.

I'm going to go put on my tinfoil hat now.

antitrop

I just found out Tom Bissell was involved in the writing. Interested to hear how that turns out, I've enjoyed his work in journalism.

antitrop

fixed for truth

also, 15 minutes until review bomba

That was my introduction to him, which springboarded me into his other work, even outside of games journalism. He's done some pretty cool shit. I also like him because he was an embedded reporter with the Marine Corps in Iraq. So, in a way, I consider him a brother.

But yeah... Spec Ops.

CyReN

d2FuGdi.png

Vire

RedAssedApe

Banned
I was pretty burned out after Gears 3 and I never really enjoyed Gears multiplayer outside of horde mode.

Want to give this game a shot but Bioshock is so close...

theBoatGuy

Neo Member
Haven't played any Gears since the original. It was probably my first holy shit moment this gen. For some reason Judgement intrigues me, I'm sure It'll be a blast since it's been 6 years.

I really wanna buy this but I'm Just not sure. I mainly play gears for mp and only 4 maps is just fucking disgusting. Could care less about the overrun and horde shit. Will probably just red box this for the camp agin

Went ahead and placed an order on Amazon. Had $40 left on my gift card so I only had to pay about $20.

I've been reading some of the impressions and I'm glad that Overrun mode is pretty enjoyable. Beast mode was my favorite part of Gears 3, so I'm excited to play as specific Locust again.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Overrun is such a fucking blast. ESPECIALLY when I'm playing with a competent team, and with my two Gears-buddies, it's usually always fun.

I can't help but think (and think that many other people feel) that the Locust is way more fun to play as than the Cog. I mean, generally being on offense is way more fun than defense, but the Locusts also have much more things that make it fun. 8 Different types of locust to be, there's bound to be something you enjoy, and a lot of them are really fun. The only one I didn't find to be too exhilarating was Kantus, but with a group of Maulers, he's a beast. Second, with a points system, it psychologically feels like you're working towards something and aiming towards something by being able to upgrade to Locusts with higher levels of destruction. There's also the fact that destroying something feels a lot more satisfying than protecting it - this is Gears, after all.

With the Cog, I think the central thing is that there is no points system. Why can't we upgrade our cog as the round goes on? It's not fair that we're given the same 4 class-sets to deal with tickers, wretches and grenadiers as we are to deal with Corper's, Serapedes, and Mauler's. If we do a good job defending or whatever, give us points that either A) Opens up a couple new, more powerful classes or B) Allows us to upgrade a class; for example, give the Scout a longshot and a boltok or upgrade the Soldier to a Boomshot instead of a Booshka; give the Engineer double Sentries, or whatever.

Without it, there's so little variety that it gets kind of meh. Especially when there's 2 maulers, a serapede, a corpser and a kantus coming your way.

Still, Overrun is mad fun. Cannot wait for Judgment tonight.

Malo

Banned
Looking for some overrun and survival buddies to play with on Tuesday.

My gt is THE H4NDofGOD

Edit: And competitive mp too

-PXG-

I'm already sick of Overrun. Then again, I never like Horde or Beast.

I can't wait for the shit storm this week over how unbalanced and buggy competit ive MP is going to be. I wonder how long it will be until people just go back to Gears 3

I'm already sick of Overrun. Then again, I never like Horde or Beast.

I can't wait for the shit storm this week over how unbalanced and buggy competit ive MP is going to be. I wonder how long it will be until people just go back to Gears 3

Ha. The silver lining on the cloud for me is that I'm itching for some Gears MP and I'm totally shit now due to a massive hiatus from Gears in general. If you and other rad players are leaving the frey to be replaced by CoD noobs, at least I can win now :).

Wait actually.. why can't they port all the previous maps from Gears over? They don't have to account for jumping and movement is pretty much the same from game to game, so I mean wouldn't they just have to worry about weapon placement?

4 maps is unforgivable.

Top Bottom