• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

-PXG-

I have my house all to myself this weekend. Assuming I don't completely hate this game, I will be online ALL fucking weekend. And incredible hammered the whole time too.

Kinda sucks there isn't a midnight release in my area for this :/

Grisby

Off to Gamestop midnight thing, hope no one talks to me.
Ha, make sure to not wear bight, attractive clothing.

First Gears midnight launch I'm missing. Just too tired tonight. Had some fun Overrun matches tonight though. Hit lvl20 although it was no thanks to some of my teammates.

So many Scouts.

Kabuto

Danm, I would have liked that Alex or Anya costume.

I think you get a Marcus skin or whatever from GS so if ayone wants to trade tommorow let me know. Let me know.

yo I'm gonna get the Alex skin and I don't read the comics. Trade?

As a Gears fan I am having zero fun with this. I'm disappointing and happy I didn't pay for this. Anyone else on Gaf have this and enjoying? I'm interested in your guys opinions.

il5rnMu8imNuN.gif

Local GS had a midnight pickup, but due to this winter storm I wasn't going to go out. I won't be able to go until probably tomorrow afternoon, can't wait.

Vee_One

I've got this and I'm excited for the campaign. I have high hopes for this and hopefully it doesn't dissapoint (unlike most 2013 releases to date).

Just got back from the MS store. Great midnight launch! Never going back to Best Buy. Can't wait to start playing! Lots of stoked people at the store.

I will never be that good/good at all at Gears. :p

Had a bit of a mess around in TDM, at least spotting and spot grenades help me feel more useful. :p

Malo

Banned
I saw that in the livestream. It was pretty amazing haha. Watching this makes me want to play so bad! I shouldn't have ordered online :(
I was watching it live and I have that same feeling as well. I wish I could play right now.

First impressions = really impressed, yo.

The game is still veeeeery shotgun-centric, which is fine by me. The verticality and path-heavy nature of the maps means that you can get ambushed a lot, so a viable CQC option is a must and from the hour or so that I played, it seemed that the majority of players were rolling with shotguns. On top of that, a Breechshot is often within close proximity when you spawn, so there ain't much sense in passing up such an amazing weapon combo from the get-go.

Speaking of shotguns, the Gnasher feels great. It actually seems more balanced. I'm yet to be gibbed in a way that seemed sketchy.

Loveeeee how dropping from height is handled. Looks and feels very fluid. Adds a great dynamic to the gameplay and completely eliminates the jank from previous Gears games.

Movement speed is a lot faster than Overrun. I - like many others, I'd imagine - felt very underwhelmed commandeering a Grenadier for the first time, but speed in TDM/FFA feels a lot better and a lot more flowing.

Negatives? Spawning seems a bit sporadic at times, but nothing game-breaking. And yep, 4 maps.

Icing on the cake? Netcode seems super solid. My games were Gears 3 levels of buttery smooth 95% of the time.

If you:

> like Gears games in general
> aren't too offended by the paltry map count
> are open to a few changes here and there
> aren't an uber-purist
> felt that Gears 3 was a step in the right direction

I'd definitely recommend picking it up. It simply is the tightest, most visceral and most satisfying TPS that has existed.

As a Gears fan I am having zero fun with this. I'm disappointing and happy I didn't pay for this. Anyone else on Gaf have this and enjoying? I'm interested in your guys opinions.
Personally I love it, loved gears hated what they did with 2 and 3, judgement is just fast and furious again, free for all is brutal

I love it!

I'll say Gondola is easily my least favorite map. It feels like it belongs in a Uncharted game since it's too vertical for this game. Should've put some ladders around or something. And between TDM, FFA, and domination I surprisingly enjoyed FFA the most.

if anyone is interested in doing a trade for some skins I'll have an extra set of Hammerbust, YoungDom and Anya skins tomorrow due to a tsilon.ca offer. i'll be looking for AlexBrand, YoungMarcus, LambentWeapon, JungleTai or BriskSkins

I'll say Gondola is easily my least favorite map. It feels like it belongs in a Uncharted game since it's too vertical for this game. Should've put some ladders around or something. And between TDM, FFA, and domination I surprisingly enjoyed FFA the most.

Gondola is my fav, love the roof top jumping and just simply bouncing around like a ninja!

Judgement is defo my fav of the series,

I still had that bastard retro though!!!

JaxJag

Banned
Team Death match is awful, worst TDM in a gears game, period.

There's no reason to use cover, there's absolutely no teamwork because of the random spawning.

TDM has become Call of Duty with COGs.

There's no reason to use cover, there's absolutely no teamwork because of the random spawning.

No buddy, now your experiencing the true gears of war! None of the bunny tactics that was in gears 2 and 3

Learn how to play aggressive and you will love

Definitely true to an extent, but I still found it very fun. Having a shitty team is less crippling. Sure, you'll still lose, but the getting there isn't as shit/irritating. You're right, though. Competent team play has taken a back seat.

Gears 1 is my jam! I actually grew more distant from the series with each new entry. Gears 3 was fine, but I could never get that same Gnasher high like the old Gears 1/somewhat 2 days.
Then trust me you need to go get it right now!

Like you gears 2 and 3 just felt flat and more frustrating, judgement gives that the adrenaline pumped shotgun style of game play, gears 2 and 3 you could pretty much go to the bathroom mid game and still be alive, judgement you can't put the pad down!

Aggressive as hell the way I like it :)

A lot faster than that overrun demo

Then trust me you need to go get it right now!

Like you gears 2 and 3 just felt flat and more frustrating, judgement gives that the adrenaline pumped shotgun style of game play, gears 2 and 3 you could pretty much go to the bathroom mid game and still be alive, judgement you can't put the pad down!

Aggressive as hell the way I like it :)

A lot faster than that overrun demo

and much much more fluid and beautiful.

Seriously, this game is so fucking good.

I have a hard time believeing the game is more shotgun centric if you can just kill someone by drilling lancer bullets in them. Gears 3 was fucked up for that and turned me off on multiplayer. What you guys saying is reverse though, I might get this next week if I could. I loved gears 1&2 but 3 was just hot garbage in terms of multiplayer.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This game is RIDICULOUSLY fast paced. Yeah, I was surprised by how fast paced it is. I LOVE it. I am impressed. And I loved Gears 1 the most, hated Gears 2, and thought Gears 3 was solid.

This right here, this is great Gears.

Also, it's so fluid and gnasher centric. LOVE.

I have a hard time believeing the game is more shotgun centric if you can just kill someone by drilling lancer bullets in them. Gears 3 was fucked up for that and turned me off on multiplayer. What you guys saying is reverse though, I might get this next week if I could. I loved gears 1&2 but 3 was just hot garbage in terms of multiplayer.

still waiting on my copy but since active reloads and stopping power are gone I can imagine it has reverted to more Gears1 style play.

still waiting on my copy but since active reloads and stopping power are gone I can imagine it has reverted to more Gears1 style play.
True I fucking forget about stopping power being gone..and active gone too? Didnt know that at all and that was one of my heavily requested thing to remove from this franchise as in multiplayer. Hmmm Im getting curious!

True I fucking forget about stopping power being gone..and active gone too? Didnt know that at all and that was one of my heavily requested thing to remove from this franchise as in multiplayer. Hmmm Im getting curious!

Yeah, I had no idea about either of these changes! Shows how much attention I have been giving this game.

Teknoman

This game is RIDICULOUSLY fast paced. Yeah, I was surprised by how fast paced it is. I LOVE it. I am impressed. And I loved Gears 1 the most, hated Gears 2, and thought Gears 3 was solid.

This right here, this is great Gears.

Also, it's so fluid and gnasher centric. LOVE.

So...are the lancers/other mid-long range weapons still decent (aside from power weapons/sniper style stuff)? I liked shotgun duels as much as the next guy, but dont like it when matches just turn into rush forward from the start and shotgun wars the whole match.

Top Bottom