• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Xamdou

Is the retro lancer still in the game? How many multiplayer maps are there? Do my gun skins carry over from Gears 3?

REV 09

The people bitching probably aren't the people picking it up.
Nor ever planning to. Gaf will be Gaf. Some of us actually still play games, but a lot just like to bitch about the latest anti-consumer blah blah "industry".

Glad to see all the positive impressions. Overrun was great during the demo, excited to try the full release in a few hours.

RJ you better be on!!!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The people bitching probably aren't the people picking it up.

You should look back at some pages or in other thread on Gears Judgment and you'll see the names for yourself.

I'm glad that they still gave the game a chance, to the point that they already bought the game, but it would have been far better to be more sensible with the complaints instead of making scenes just to end up backpedaling and buying it anyways.

The Overrun demo sold me on the game. Almost made me late for work this morning. I'm not a good Gears player but that's some of the most fun I've had in a shooter in a while. I can't wait for work to be over so I can pick this up!

Ban Puncher

Started playing the campaign 8 hours ago with two mates on hardcore (couldn't find a fourth dudebro today), just finished up a little while ago. Still have 2/3rds of the final chapter to go then onto Aftermath. The Declassified option gives each area it's own unique conditions which makes it loads of fun. Having a fucking blast with ma bros.

Played a bit of the multiplayer, if only to get the unique weapon skin for playing the scheduled event first week of launch. No grenade sticking and DBNO make the matches quick and punchy. We've come a long way since GoW2's miserable bug-fucked sack of shit.

Season pass can still take a fucking hike. With them going on sale even before all of the DLC is out it's too easy to wait and see.

2San

Looking at recent gameplay the game does look like it'll scratch that gears itch. I still can't get over the 4maps thing(I'm only interested in versus). Though the biggest reason is that none of my friends want to get it. :| I also know that Epic has a nasty habit with dedicated servers if you don't buy all map packs, so I'm dissuaded to buy it for solo casual play.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay, no seriously. This is what Gears 2 (and 3) should have been.

It's so fucking fast, fluid. It's visceral, it's intense. There are so many things eliminated that make you wonder why it never happened over the course of two sequels. This multiplayer experience is faster. Not bigger or badder. But faster, and that's where it becomes so much better.

The four maps are all great...I even got used to Gondola. The weapon balance feels so good, I never have that terrible shit feeling of not having a good weapon in my hand. Weapon respawns are back to being timed instead of based on a weapon running out of ammo. The Breechshot is SO fun to use.

Switching weapons with Y is such a subtle change but it makes such a HUGE difference in combat. And by god am I happy that the Gnasher is a weapon that can now ruin 3 or 4 people and keep it rolling. I'm also happy to say that ammo is of no concern - ammo boxes are always in reach and they're great in that they give you an extra grenade. Oh, and stopping power being taken out? I love you Judgment.

I know that the post was all over the place, but I'm just trying to touch on a bunch of different things during my first 24 hour with the game.

george_us

Campaign is pretty damn good so far. Loving the optional objectives and the level design is a lot better than in previous Gears games.

Kabuto

Another big thing I see from streams is that you get ammo automatically from walking over it. No more holding X. That is a pretty big deal that no one seems to be talking about.

Switching weapons with Y is such a subtle change but it makes such a HUGE difference in combat. And by god am I happy that the Gnasher is a weapon that can now ruin 3 or 4 people and keep it rolling. I'm also happy to say that ammo is of no concern - ammo boxes are always in reach and they're great in that they give you an extra grenade. Oh, and stopping power being taken out? I love you Judgment.

you also don't have to hold X to pick up ammo off fallen players. all you need to do is walk over it now.

EDIT: anyone want to set up a GearsJ gamertag? seeing as the Gears3 one has so many people who don't play anymore.
and i removed it from my friendlist

2San

Seriously. I'll take four TDM maps over all the shit I put up with in Gears 2 any day. At least I know Judgment's MP will function properly.
Dunno with Gears 2 everyone at least played executions and the maps where great(some where screwed up, because of grenade tagging). Guardian was a ton of fun as well. Everyone played ranked as well, so you always had a fresh set of people without bots everywhere. They fixed quite a bit of the issue's by the end of the game. The slow movement and lack of dedicated servers still hurt though.

While Gears 3 is obviously the better game, I still missed the tension that was present in Gears 2. Gears 3 made getting kills to easy imo.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Another big thing I see from streams is that you get ammo automatically from walking over it. No more holding X. That is a pretty big deal that no one seems to be talking about.
Every little change that was made in Judgment seems to have been made to make the game and pace faster. It works, you always have to be on the move in this game if you're gonna get shit done.

I've only played TDM so far and one FFA game where I ended up in 3rd place...so my impressions are based on that.

Mdk7

Every little change that was made in Judgment seems to have been made to make the game and pace faster. It works, you always have to be on the move in this game if you're gonna get shit done.

I've only played TDM so far and one FFA game where I ended up in 3rd place...so my impressions are based on that.

Yeah it's A LOT faster.
I just miss my wall tagging with grenades. D:

It's so fucking fast, fluid. It's visceral, it's intense. There are so many things eliminated that make you wonder why it never happened over the course of two sequels. This multiplayer experience is faster. Not bigger or badder. But faster, and that's where it becomes so much better.

The four maps are all great...I even got used to Gondola. The weapon balance feels so good, I never have that terrible shit feeling of not having a good weapon in my hand. Weapon respawns are back to being timed instead of based on a weapon running out of ammo. The Breechshot is SO fun to use.

I know that the post was all over the place, but I'm just trying to touch on a bunch of different things during my first 24 hour with the game.

+1 this should have been gears 2, bet cliffyb will die if he reads this page today lol

quickwhips

Free For All i so much fun. Its funny seeing people backpack across the map when I'm sniping. I think domination is just Meh.

george_us

God damn the first couple of encounters alone rival some of the best encounters from of the previous Gears games. Awesome stuff so far.

Malo

Banned
So did i.
I've become such a Gears whore... Gears 3 is the game that sold me on online multiplayer.
As am I. I just love me some Gears.

Hopefully this time I can stick with a team for a while unlike Gears 3 where everybody I use to play with left to play the garbage that was MW3.

OrangeOak

This !
I was waiting 5 years for this game.
Perhaps finally I have found a reason to stop playing Gears 1 ;P
Gears 3 was step in right direction after Gears 2 but this is something else.
Also this game needs Execution mode ASAP.I don't really like TDM in Gears,there is no tension like in Warzone/Exe whatsoever.
Don't understand why there is no locust in versus either.

Does it really have a different 'feel' to the unlockable chapter?

It's just gears 3. No stars or declassified, if feels epic made too unlike judgement hmmmm

Just about what happened when dom died really when cole went off - prob was DLC at one point

Teknoman

One more thing, did the two weapon restriction make it to the rest of the modes/campaign? Not really a deal breaker since I got the game anyway (had tons of fun with Overrun, and been a fan since Gears 1 day 1), but just wondering since i'm usually not a fan of dual weapon loadouts...but can adapt.

One more thing, did the two weapon restriction make it to the rest of the modes/campaign? Not really a deal breaker since I got the game anyway (had tons of fun with Overrun, and been a fan since Gears 1 day 1), but just wondering since i'm usually not a fan of dual weapon loadouts...but can adapt.

Yeah, it did, no more side-arm slot.

derFeef

Who could have guessed that if the gameplay is fun the content does not matter that much :p
Anyone playing demo? I want to try some more matches but I need some good backup ;)

GT: daFeef - will be on in a few hours or so.

Was hoping to hear that - I usually only play coop. Can you play on all 8 maps (I'm sure it's been asked a billion times) and are you always protecting a generator?

Survival is basically Overrun but with 10 enemy waves and no human opponents, so unfortunately it's limited to the four maps designed for Overrun and yeah, you're always protecting e-holes/a generator.

I hope my copy arrives tomorrow! Last couple of pages are making the wait excruciating.

Btw, anyone got an Anya skin they would like to trade for a Young Marcus? My copy of the game is from the UK so I don't know if the code will carry over to other territories - worth a try tho.

ShogunX

Played this online for a few hours last night and wow. The speed of the game is fucking amazing and the removal of fake boundaries allows movement around the map to be so much more fluid. Diving off roofs to ambush unsuspecting people below is a great feature.

Very impressed with the game but the four maps is a bit of a downer.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The vertical movement in this game is intense. No boundaries. Everything can be jumped off of, it's crazy. This makes for epic ambushes and epic escapes.

jbug617

Banned
Anybody know what preorder New Egg got? I didn't expect anything but this morning New Egg sent me an email saying they have shipped my pre-order bonus.

Top Bottom