• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got an Xbox skin for Lancer and Gnasher for the first two epic boxes. And XP from the normal one, lol.

Only played one match but it was in the special playlist for Domination which spawns everyone with breechshots and the marking grenades. It was fun as fucking hell, the map I was on(streets) feels very vertical and you can freely roll off the sides wherever. Fast paced and hectic, the breechshot is also a great new addition. I was always pretty terrible with the Longshot but in this match alone I had some nice head pop moments.

Have to go to work for the night but I'm very excited to dig into this.

So I played me some of that overrun demo... Movement speed seems slower as well, not sure about that though. The Grenadier is slower(I'm sure about this).

Since Overrun is class-based, some of the characters are slower (i.e. Engineers are slower than Scouts).

Otherwise character speed is actually faster than in Gears 3 (TDM, FFA, Domination).

Aske

The section highlight sheet at the end of each part really takes me out of the game, am I the only one?

I agree. Along with the gigantic star-bar, the score sheet feels too 'gamey'. I like the scoring system itself, but the way it's displayed is too distracting - it's not what I want from a campaign mode. The points system was handled much better in Bulletstorm.

I've played a good chunk of the Museum, and so far my feelings about the campaign are ambivalent. I'm missing the fun character interaction between my squadmates. Cole seems especially silent, and everything about the presentation feels stripped down to the barest of bare minimums. Not sure how I feel about the Horde segments that have been added to the campaign. I think adding turrets and prep-time mixes things up in a positive way, but again, the presentation breaks the immersion. At least have a squadmate tell me how many waves I'm facing, or how long I have to set up. Couch the info in the context of the game-world rather than just slapping it on the screen.

Generally happy with the control scheme changes, but why can't I pick up the weapon of every locust I kill? If I'm fighting three dudes with Hammerbursts, I should be able to snag a Hammerburst during or after the fight. Instead, enemies drop ammo rather than guns. Actual weapon drops seem to be very rare, and not being able to reliably switch up weapons during a battle seems like a needless restriction to place on players.

On the plus side, the level design is aesthetically interesting and the encounters so far seem to play out more like Gears 1, which is awesome. The declassify system is smart, but like the scoring system, triggering it breaks the game's flow. Every fight feels annoyingly episodic; there's no room for the anticipation to build as your squad walks into a killzone. I miss the little cinematic touches of the first three games. Not necessarily the big set pieces, but the sense that I'm experiencing a cohesive adventure rather than a series of matches.

nordique

Gears GAF a quick question:

Just got a hold of the Gears series recently,

Where should I start? Gears 1, then to 2 and 3 and Judgment (chronological release order)

or with Judgment first, 1-3 after? (chronological story order)

2San

Since Overrun is class-based, some of the characters are slower (i.e. Engineers are slower than Scouts).

Otherwise character speed is actually faster than in Gears 3 (TDM, FFA, Domination).
All right thanks. That's in line with my suspicion. I mostly played egineer on cog side, getting my gnasher on.

Nice to hear the actual mp is faster.

Is anyone else having trouble getting codes to work? Any code I try to enter now gives me an error that says the XBOX Live service is temporary unavailable, but I am signed in and I also tried Xbox.com.

abracadaver

What has changed in the horde mode ?

Are there still bosses ? Can you still build fortifications ? Are there still lambent enemies ? Are the waves longer than before since there are only 10 ?

SeanR1221

First gears I'm having trouble getting excited about :/

I just have no drive to play. I figure Ill wait till its 40, but I could technically get it for 40 now in the target buy 2 get 1, but don't feel like it.

Aske

Wow, things have really stepped up with Sofia's testimony. The Bridge was glorious! Therons, Reavers, limited ammo...So good! But why can't I pick up a Torque Bow, PCF? What's the worst thing that could happen...?

Guys who are proficient with the Breechshot - 'Breechshot Boyz', I'ma call you - do you find it most effective aiming or just hip-firing? I would love to become one of the Breechshot Boyz, but I don't quite have the chops yet.

MormaPope

Banned
Played the overrun demo, nothing beats playing as an Engineer and putting a turret up right where the Locust spawn, so strangely gratifying.

Overall, a damn smooth and fine Gears game, just don't know if I'm going to jump in. and Bioshock Infinite is out next week.

VASPER

Banned
Gears GAF a quick question:

Just got a hold of the Gears series recently,

Where should I start? Gears 1, then to 2 and 3 and Judgment (chronological release order)

or with Judgment first, 1-3 after? (chronological story order)

i would almost say play 1-3 then judgment, Judgment changes a few things and going back may be hard. all of them are good tho.

george_us

Hm, the GB quicklook made them seem rather small, or was that because of the declassified stuff?
They feel a lot bigger to me with a lot of space to run around in. Even the smaller spaces feel pretty big compared to smaller spaces in the previous games. I could be off base of course and would love to hear some other opinions. Then again I assume most people here aren't even thinking about the campaign.

Kabuto

The nerfing of the gnasher is throwing me off way too much and I don't like it. It's probably the no active reload damage but 3-4 shots to kill someone is so weird. Gonna be hard to get used to it

The nerfing of the gnasher is throwing me off way too much and I don't like it. It's probably the no active reload damage but 3-4 shots to kill someone is so weird. Gonna be hard to get used to it

I prefer it. Less annoying. If you're close enough for the gib, though, you will get it, so I think it's a pretty decent balance.

Raptor

Even point blanck?

That is dumb if true.

derFeef

They feel a lot bigger to me with a lot of space to run around in. Even the smaller spaces feel pretty big compared to smaller spaces in the previous games. I could be off base of course and would love to hear some other opinions. Then again I assume most people here aren't even thinking about the campaign.

I play Gears for the campaigns, crazy I know :)

derFeef

Millions of people play this game purely for campaign, I'm sure.

And I'm one of em. Although I do dip my feet into Horde modes of all kinds.

I just have no one of my friends playing Gears, and GAF always let's me down when I request some backup. SO I never played Gears coop either.

Got the game a few hours ago and managed to sink in and hour or two today. I just got to the second campaign mission, the bridge or whatever.

Really fun so far. I am constantly tapping my d-pad to switch weapons. Ugh. The grenade/switching weapons stuff is just goofy. But the story seems alright so far.

It seems like there should have been a mission to start off with that introduces the characters better. Obviously Baird and Cole are known, but the other two were complete mysteries to me.

Good stuff though. Got a few weapons skins with the box things. Once I finish campaign I'll start hopping online. Can't wait.

Grisby

Been noticing a teeny bit of tearing and some slight dips in the framerate department when things get really splosey'.
How is Domination as a substitute for KOTH? KOTH is my favorite mode in Gears MP

How is the net code? Dedis ??
Net code has been awesome. No complaints and I've been messing around in the public matches, not VIP.

Aske

These early campaign levels don't feel large to me at all - quite the opposite. Perhaps they get larger in later chapters. Even the outdoor spaces are much smaller than similar examples in the previous three games.

The SP campaign definitely feels like a different product this time around. It feels much more tacked on, as if the total package is more MP focused; whereas in previous Gears games the campaign alone would have been worth the price of admission. That's not to say it isn't fun - it absolutely is - but lower your expectations in terms of scope, story, characterization and worldbuilding compared to previous games.

I can't decide how I feel about the randomized battles. I love that the skirmishes don't follow a formula, but the trade-off is that the devs can no longer craft every encounter quite so meticulously (think Pumping Station in Gears 1, or the hellish courtyard in Gears 2). Given that it's so random, I wish I could bias the game to give me more Theron Guards and less Maulers/Grinders. Theron fights never get old. Some solid new enemies in this game though.

george_us

I play Gears for the campaigns, crazy I know :)
Ha I do too. I know I'm enjoying this one a lot more than 3. I agree with other posters in that the campaign does lack the charactertization, worldbuilding, and story elements we're used to but those elements were always dogshit in the previous games so its a wash for me.

Top Bottom