• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

Still don't know how or where the dynamic spawns come in. If the campaign's enemy numbers and types are dynamic to some extent replayablity could go through the roof, but I have no idea where or how much it's used or how it works at all really.

Smart spawn should significantly increase replayability if Left4Dead is anything to go by. It's probably one of the most interesting new features in Gears.

SpacLock

Man... No DBNO. No rape. No smoke rape.

They really took out the best parts in this new installment. Sad to see this series go.

mernst23

How did you do it? I kind of gave up on Gears 3 because of Seriously.

An absolute ridiculous amount of kill grinding that's how. There are some techniques to make some onyx medals go quicker but you have to invest the couple hundred play hours to do it.

Day -3 for me. I am so excited for this Friday. I think this is going to be the best GoW mp experience. I am so glad they are focusing on making it different then roll and shotgun. That would always get so boring. Overrun looks like it is going to be fantastic as well.

see5harp

Considering that Gears is a close range shotgun fest it gives the upper hand to whoever has the best connection. Its simplistic, but hey, if that's gears, go for it. I see these changes as yet another attempt to provide the game some depth, as in more than one way to excel at the game, and to open up some strategies that aren't so connection dependent, like medium and long range rifle play.

I think they already made rifles a viable weapon in the 3rd game. Removing active reload, changing weapon switch to Y, and enabling quick grenade is really just making the game more accessible and lowering the skill ceiling. Not sure I want Gears to play like every other shooter.

-PXG-

Accessible.....shrinking skill gap....

These are terms I hate reading.

It's funny that I was hype as fuck for the beta and Gears 3. And this game...I'm just indifferent

I think they already made rifles a viable weapon in the 3rd game. Removing active reload, changing weapon switch to Y, and enabling quick grenade is really just making the game more accessible and lowering the skill ceiling. Not sure I want Gears to play like every other shooter.

Ugh. =/

And yeah, I'd like to see that 4 hour walkthrough on Youtube. Is it OK if someone just posts it in the thread here?

see5harp

Ugh. =/

And yeah, I'd like to see that 4 hour walkthrough on Youtube. Is it OK if someone just posts it in the thread here?

That was one of the great revelations for me...figuring out that you could queue up a weapon switch or active reload while roadie running or rolling. That and figuring out that you could cancel a cover movement right into another. I think a lot of the people who claim that Gears had tank controls never really understood how important the movement mechanics were and subsequently why many of these people that were completely outclassed in multiplayer blamed everything on the shotgun. I'll certainly rent this game because at least Epic isn't dumb enough to put the multiplayer behind a game pass, but I am certainly pessemistic about the whole thing.

That was one of the great revelations for me...figuring out that you could queue up a weapon switch or active reload while roadie running or rolling. That and figuring out that you could cancel a cover movement right into another. I think a lot of the people who claim that Gears had tank controls never really understood how important the movement mechanics were and subsequently why many of these people that were completely outclassed in multiplayer blamed everything on the shotgun. I'll certainly rent this game because at least Epic isn't dumb enough to put the multiplayer behind a game pass, but I am certainly pessemistic about the whole thing.

Me too. Someone in this thread said that old Gears' MP was special because each encounter felt tense and could take a long time to resolve itself. Looking back on it, you're right, the movement mechanics were great, and the difficulty and balance were built around that.

I'm watching the first few parts of the campaign, and I'm very down on it so far. Tons of action but nothing creative or thoughtful like the first Gears. That game built tension well, and encounters were designed around the plot more and made sense. In Judgment it's just, "Assault this location, now defend it against waves of enemies. Rinse and repeat".

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This skin is cool. Are they selling them again?

ZAXcFSCl.jpg

Whoa, this game totally flew under my radar. I thought it was still a ways away, but I guess not lol. I wonder if my Gears LAN buddies even know that it's coming soon...

So there's 14 maps in the game if you buy the season pass?

Be first, save big, look sharp! The VIP Season Pass serves as your pre-order for two Game Add-on Packs (6 total multiplayer maps and 2 new modes)

4 for overrun, 4 for domination and I assume these 6 maps will be split between the two modes.

Aren't there also some sponsored maps?

So there's 14 maps in the game if you buy the season pass?

4 for overrun, 4 for domination and I assume these 6 maps will be split between the two modes.

Aren't there also some sponsored maps?

yes it looks like 16maps so far(8 at launch, 6 in the season pass and 2 sponsored). still a long ways off from Gears2 and it's 29. I'm still kind of mad that there are only 4 maps for tdm/exe/ffa/dom at launch. we had 4 maps in the gears3 beta for fucksake.

Biggzy

yes it looks like 16maps so far. still a long ways off from Gears2 and it's 29. I'm still kind of mad that there are only 4 maps for tdm/exe/ffa at launch. we had 4 maps in the gears3 beta for fucksake.

Microsoft must be getting tight with their money.

Dead

well not really...yet
Something to keep in mind, most of the time, those youtube walkthroughs are heavily edited and condensed (ie removing any time the player died or stuff like that). So the main campaign could potentially be longer.

quickwhips

first guy who beats Campaign in 4 hours on insane(the real way to play) my hats off to you. See ya guys online on the 15th.

shinnn

Wait, the 4hrs campaign got to be a joke, right? Right!? :O

where those 4 hours coming from?

howlongtobeat.com says 8h. Though its estimate since the game is not released yet.

We don't know how long the second campaign is, so I wouldn't panic yet.

None the less, the Judgment campaign is built to be a lot more replayable this time around, so a shorter length might not be that big of a deal in the end.
I heard 2 hours long for the aftermatch campaign. Don't remember if it was a epic dev or journalist.

edit: oh.. youtube walkthough. Those guys plays on casual and rush a lot to get youtube hits. But I didn't saw any full walkthrough on youtube yet.

Lunchbox

Banned
i heard the campaign is just fighting bots on the 4 maps over and over for 4 hours

#Judgement #TrustYourGut #HeroesMakeItUpAsTheyGo

Was the guy skipping the declassified missions in the 4hr walkthrough?

Still, I hope Aftermath is a decent length. Would be awesome if that one is 4 hours also.

Day -3 for me. I am so excited for this Friday. I think this is going to be the best GoW mp experience. I am so glad they are focusing on making it different then roll and shotgun. That would always get so boring. Overrun looks like it is going to be fantastic as well.

Lol they will never stop the gnasher, it's what makes gears to me, always will be my first weapon of choice, and now with that annoying slow down gone, let the gunning begin :)

Think two piece is back also :)

Dead

well not really...yet
where those 4 hours coming from?

howlongtobeat.com says 8h. Though its estimate since the game is not released yet.

I heard 2 hours long for the aftermatch campaign. Don't remember if it was a epic dev or journalist.

edit: oh.. youtube walkthough. Those guys plays on casual and rush a lot to get youtube hits. But I didn't saw any full walkthrough on youtube yet.
im guessing the times on howlongtobeat.com are from the leaked copies?

Is anyone else scared to get back into a Gears game purely for the sake of their mental health?

Gears 3 adversarial MP ruined me. Never have I felt such rage; such addictive rage.

Lol they will never stop the gnasher, it's what makes gears to me, always will be my first weapon of choice, and now with that annoying slow down gone, let the gunning begin :)

Think two piece is back also :)

Sounds like they are trying to give players other options to combat all the gnasher players. Sticky grenades, new rifles, shields with lancers, the new grenade launcher, vertical maps. I really think people that just roll and shotgun will not dominate the mp like they have in every other Gears game so far.

-PXG-

Everytime Epic tries to fuck with the gnasher, people ALWAYS find a way to use it.

They should just learn that the gnasher is a major component of the game and that it's here to stay. Just imagine Halo without the BR....

Biggzy

Everytime Epic tries to fuck with the gnasher, people ALWAYS find a way to use it.

They should just learn that the gnasher is a major component of the game and that it's here to stay. Just imagine Halo without the BR....

343 solution was to design a weapon that is better in most situations lol.

This game seems really pointless. Was it even established in the first game that baird and cole had a history together? Seemed like in the first game they just randomly met up for the first time when your squad finds him.

This game seems really pointless. Was it even established in the first game that baird and cole had a history together? Seemed like in the first game they just randomly met up for the first time when your squad finds him.

In the books they definitely talk about knowing each other for a while.

We don't know how long the second campaign is, so I wouldn't panic yet.

None the less, the Judgment campaign is built to be a lot more replayable this time around, so a shorter length might not be that big of a deal in the end.

Wait, a second campaign? First I've heard of 'Aftermath'. Is that included with the full game, not DLC?

Top Bottom