• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks, but still nothing happens.

I'm running it as an Administrator, yeah. Steam Overaly is turned off. No anti-virus software.

What is "Windows + G" used for btw?

edit: Now I'm getting overlay messages like "AO disabled" etc when toggling with the keys. But there's no downsampling, no AO, or SMAA

Set rendering resolution to 2560x1440 @ 60hz

Set display resolution to *your native res* @*your native refresh rate*

Save it.

Run GeDoSaTo as admin and activate using the whitelist (your whitelist should have DSII in it).

In game, select the rendering resolution you set in GeDoSaTo, and make sure you enable in-game AA.

Levyne

Banned
Obviously I'm only using this for DS2 at the moment, but basically this is a global configuration? If in the future I was using it for multiple games, I would have to edit the configuration between playing them?

Thorgal

Obviously I'm only using this for DS2 at the moment, but basically this is a global configuration? If in the future I was using it for multiple games, I would have to edit the configuration between playing them?

It works on multiple games .

All you would have to do is at the games .exe to the whitelist .

Mind you .some games crash with it or outright refuse to start though .

Levyne

Banned
It works on multiple games .

All you would have to do is at the games .exe to the whitelist .

Mind you .some games crash with it or outright refuse to start though .

I mean if I want to downsample from one resolution in one game and another in another game?

Or if I "uncomment" multiple options in the setting I can select any of them? Also, things like setting the SMAA to one value or another, or using Bokeh in one game and basic DoF in another. Things like that.

Like how sweetfx you have a different configuration file in each game directory.

Wray

Too much detail is being lost in how dark the game is. It's not even the lack of lighting but rather the blacks are way too much.

Is there a better ENB or SweetFX profile around? I'm trying to simulate the prerelease lighting as much as possible.

In fact, just out of curiosity, what Resolution/AA/ENB/SweetFX/etc settings or profiles are people using?

Parsnip

That issue should be completely fixed. Are you sure you tested after 0.3? Sadly I don't have access to that are yet.
After looking at that youtube video someone posted, it's not quite as extreme as that, but I don't think it looks right yet either.
screenshot_2014_04_30_18_23_56_by_majorparsnip-d7gkrma.jpg
screenshot_2014_04_30_18_23_58_by_majorparsnip-d7gkrm3.jpg

screenshot_2014_04_30_18_24_18_by_majorparsnip-d7gkrly.jpg
screenshot_2014_04_30_18_24_25_by_majorparsnip-d7gkrlu.jpg

screenshot_2014_04_30_18_24_54_by_majorparsnip-d7gkrlo.jpg
screenshot_2014_04_30_18_24_58_by_majorparsnip-d7gkrli.jpg
You be the judge. This is 0.3 alpha with VSSAO2.fx from 0.2 alpha.

edit: Used more compressed jpgs, this isn't the screenshot thread after all.

[Asmodean]

That looks fine to me. If you really want to see what It would actually look like normally when the AO is being output after the alpha blended stuff/fog. try forcing HBAO+ if you're on NV, or use 0.2 in the same spot. HBAO+ looks like some weird noir cell shaded scene lol

Durante

Asmodean, did you finish your postprocessing stuff?

I mean if I want to downsample from one resolution in one game and another in another game?

Or if I "uncomment" multiple options in the setting I can select any of them? Also, things like setting the SMAA to one value or another, or using Bokeh in one game and basic DoF in another. Things like that.

Like how sweetfx you have a different configuration file in each game directory.
I'm planning to have per-game configuration files later.

Parsnip

Oh, and some more working and somewhat working games resized to 1080p. Max quality 4K jpgs here.

Some notes, some of which I also wrote down to the compatibility list.
Alice 2 seems to be perfect. Glorious hair in ultimate resolutions.
Blades of Time seems to be right as well. Some of the button prompts were kind of small, so that could be an issue for anyone who actually wants to play it.
Red Alert 3 menu has that logo thing that's supposed to be in front of the lady, it gets sliced up for some reason. It also needs some of the mouse fixes enabled.
Dark Void menu scales mostly right, but some text is really really small, and the selection "bubble" seems to get too big so it's sometimes hard to tell which option you have currently highlighted. The actual game is not playable however, it starts fine, long enough for me to grab that shot and then the renderer kind of gets stuck. It's hard to explain. The game still runs, I can get back to the menus and when I return to the game, I'm seeing a different stuck frame. It's weird.
Guacamelee appears to work perfectly.

[Asmodean];110099710 said:
That looks fine to me. If you really want to see what It would actually look like normally when the AO is being output after the alpha blended stuff/fog. try forcing HBAO+ if you're on NV, or use 0.2 in the same spot. HBAO+ looks like some weird noir cell shaded scene lol
Huh, I guess fine is a relative term then.
The ground looks broken to me in spots, the far away trees become somewhat visible, and I don't know what's up with that one tree in the last shot with the way it looks like someone drew a "cut here" line on its edge.

Looks better without AO.

Durante

Parsnip, can you enable the "dumpSSAO VK_F10" line in the key config, go to that area, and press F10? there should be 6 or so images generated in the game directory, please post those.

[Asmodean];110101573 said:
Which stuff?, the post.fx stuff?
Yes, that. The last you wrote you said you were still tweaking it for DS2. I want to include it as an alternative to (or as an addition, for insane people) the sweetfx-derived postprocessing stuff currently there.

[Asmodean]

Yes, that. The last you wrote you said you were still tweaking it for DS2. I want to include it as an alternative to (or as an addition, for insane people) the sweetfx-derived postprocessing stuff currently there.

That's here. Default settings are fairly basic - increases visual dynamic range, adds some blended bloom, tone mapping, etc. There are plenty of options to customise things. People who like a dark cinematic look, will probably prefer the Filmic tone mapping (type 2). Its on type 1 default.

I could do more if I had some extra passes. I can also take reasonable requests for effects that would work well/look nice, as I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.

Parsnip

[Asmodean];110103829 said:
Any chance you can try this version in the same spot and post a screen of it please?
Here's one is with that version.
Parsnip, can you enable the "dumpSSAO VK_F10" line in the key config, go to that area, and press F10? there should be 6 or so images generated in the game directory, please post those.
I didn't know if you wanted the 8 meg tga's or if jpgs are fine too, so I put them all here instead of deviant stash.
http://beerlake.net/dks2_dump/

Looking at the shots, it seems like there's just generally speaking some stuff there that you are not supposed to see, and the ssao + fog emphasizes some of those edges in the worst possible way. Or at least in the way that bugs the hell out of me. :p Like the weird triangular shapes on the ground.

jlthrash

Neo Member
Asmodean - any luck with configuring gedosato to get the game with better performance in 4K resolution?

I'm also on a GTX 680 2GB, and in 4K even with in-game settings and gedosato settings really turned down I hover around 32-36 FPS. In 2560x1440 I can max everything and get constant 60+.

Curious why the higher res is hitting my system so much harder than others who have comparably similar cards.

[Asmodean]

Thanks for the screenshot.

Looking at the shots, it seems like there's just generally speaking some stuff there that you are not supposed to see, and the ssao + fog emphasizes some of those edges in the worst possible way. Or at least in the way that bugs the hell out of me. :p Like the weird triangular shapes on the ground.

Not that there's anything wrong with trying to improve upon the AO further, but I'm fairly confident that this is occurring because of the way they're handling their 'fog'. It seems to coat the geometry in a layer, to increase the visual effect of it, along with the scene particle effects, which in turn makes the contrast between the two way too high and it looks err, odd. This is what I'm getting from simply looking at the shot, at least. They did it this way in Dark Souls 1 also iirc. You would probably have seen it somewhere like Darkroot Garden.

Asmodean - any luck with configuring gedosato to get the game with better performance in 4K resolution?

I'm also on a GTX 680 2GB, and in 4K even with in-game settings and gedosato settings really turned down I hover around 32-36 FPS. In 2560x1440 I can max everything and get constant 60+.

Curious why the higher res is hitting my system so much harder than others who have comparably similar cards.

I don't downsample. I use the bicubic scale filter though. Albeit I modified it a bit to balance out any excess blurring. I run 2560x1440 native.

The 680 was a mid-range gpu, sold as a high-end one when it came out man (AMD didn't have anything to top it at the time of it's release, so NV cashed out). I also made the mistake of grabbing it too early, to find out too late lol. It has a hard time with a lot of stuff over 1080p, 1440p would be it's limit if you want to keep a stead 60ish fps (depending on the visual quality of the game ofc).

It's a HD card, living in a UHD world ;p

Durante

I didn't know if you wanted the 8 meg tga's or if jpgs are fine too, so I put them all here instead of deviant stash.
http://beerlake.net/dks2_dump/

Thanks for testing.

It seems the initial render target is already rendered with "fog" in that area. That's problematic, I'll have to think about that.

[Asmodean];110109589 said:
I could do more if I had some extra passes.
If you have something specific you want to do then I can provide any number of passes/buffers/extra textures you want. Also a Z input, or screen space normals input, or pre-tonemapping HDR input.

[Asmodean]

If you have something specific you want to do then I can provide any number of passes/buffers/extra textures you want. Also a Z input, or screen space normals input, or pre-tonemapping HDR input.

Well, anything you felt like doing, I could probably make use of it tbh. A lot of that would typically be per-game basis stuff though. Access to the world, view, projection matrices etc, incorporate lighting into the bloom/tone mapping effects . I'd also usually have 2 textures for the bloom - one for the base input color, and a second for the roll/unroll blend. Plus with more than one pass, I could do the x & y filtering separately.

Of course this is up to yourself, on what you'd like to actually do.

Edit: I couldn't really tell without actually trying it myself, but do you think there would be an improvement in the AO noise by using a noise texture, rather than a pseudo random function?. I'd be interested in trying it tbh. But I'd either need the texture added as byte code header, or be able to add a noise tex in the shader, from a file.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Are there any plans to attempt to make GeDoSaTo compatible with ENB?

I remember DSFix having the option to put the name of another injector dll into the ini file and then it would inject that as well.

I've been checking out ENB and it would be fantastic to be able to use that in conjunction with the removal of resolution limits.

Jonm1010

Banned
So I've been spending a couple days messing around with various settings. This mod and the nvidia injector mod and have yet to hit a sweet spot for performance and graphics.

I'm running a 660 I-7 16gb Alienware X51 and wonder if anyone else has a similar setup and what they have found to be their best configuration.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
No. Debugging injectors is already hard, attempting to debug the interactions between multiple injectors is futile.

I expected as much, though I was hopeful. Thanks for the response man.

So I've been spending a couple days messing around with various settings. This mod and the nvidia injector mod and have yet to hit a sweet spot for performance and graphics.

I'm running a 660 I-7 16gb Alienware X51 and wonder if anyone else has a similar setup and what they have found to be their best configuration.

I've been doing 1440p, FXAA and post processing with GeDoSaTo and alternatively I've been doing 1080p, ENB with processing, DoF, and FXAA to lock 60fps always.

Out of curiosity, which Nvidia Inspector tweaks are people using along with the tool? (I know not to downsample concurrently with SGSSAA.)

Bittercup

I'm not quite sure what's happening here. I'm using GeDoSaTo only for downsampling and custom textures.
I had HBAO+ enabled in the nvidia inspector but the graphical glitches in some areas are too distracting so I wanted to switch to the AO solution of GeDoSaTo, which if I understand correctly requires you to turn AA on and SSAO off in the game settings.
But if I turn in-game AA on I get a very slight blur on the image and I would like to understand what's causing it. I tried this even with everything disabled.
AA on: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-011ijfj.png
AA off: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-01rbjpm.png
Why is that? If downscaling would require AA to be on, I would think the image without AA should have at least less details due to the lower resolution but I don't see that and therefore assume both images are downscaled (or neither).
Or is this the bicubic filter being turned off? But what method to downscale is it using in the AA off image then?
Or is this the standard FXAA from the game? If so, how do I stop this from being applied.
And I assume SGSSAA in the nvidia inspector isn't compatible with GeDoSaTo's downsampling? I enabled 2x SGSSAA before I tried downsampling and it it's a very noticable improvement in 1080p but with 4k resolution downsampling and SGSSAA not turned off the game still runs with around 60fps which is just impossible so it's very likely just ignored? The grass is still looking nice though. (both images are with 2x SGSSAA in the inspector)
But more important what do I do if I want only downscaling + SSAO with the cleanest image quality (no post processing AA).

Durante

I'm not quite sure what's happening here. I'm using GeDoSaTo only for downsampling and custom textures.
I had HBAO+ enabled in the nvidia inspector but the graphical glitches in some areas are too distracting so I wanted to switch to the AO solution of GeDoSaTo, which if I understand correctly requires you to turn AA on and SSAO off in the game settings.
But if I turn in-game AA on I get a very slight blur on the image and I would like to understand what's causing it. I tried this even with everything disabled.
AA on: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-011ijfj.png
AA off: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-01rbjpm.png
Why is that? If downscaling would require AA to be on, I would think the image without AA should have at least less details due to the lower resolution but I don't see that and therefore assume both images are downscaled (or neither).
Or is this the bicubic filter being turned off? But what method to downscale is it using in the AA off image then?
Or is this the standard FXAA from the game? If so, how do I stop this from being applied.
And I assume SGSSAA in the nvidia inspector isn't compatible with GeDoSaTo's downsampling? I enabled 2x SGSSAA before I tried downsampling and it it's a very noticable improvement in 1080p but with 4k resolution downsampling and SGSSAA not turned off the game still runs with around 60fps which is just impossible so it's very likely just ignored? The grass is still looking nice though. (both images are with 2x SGSSAA in the inspector)
But more important what do I do if I want only downscaling + SSAO with the cleanest image quality (no post processing AA).
What you see happening is that if you turn in-game AA on, but don't enable any of the effects available in GeDoSaTo, it won't do anything and thus also won't replace the built-in AA. As soon as you enable any GeDoSaTo effect it will replace the in-game AA step.

Is there any way I can get this working alongside SweetFX?
Depending on the game sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, either you're lucky or you're not. Debugging interactions with injectors is nearly impossible like Durante said
That said I'm confident people will empirically find out a way to use both ENB and Gedo, I need both as well hehe (for screenshots only I guess of course)

Bittercup

What you see happening is that if you turn in-game AA on, but don't enable any of the effects available in GeDoSaTo, it won't do anything and thus also won't replace the built-in AA. As soon as you enable any GeDoSaTo effect it will replace the in-game AA step.
Thanks for your response :) But not sure this is working. With SSAO in the ini set to strength 2, scale 1 I get:
with ingame AA on: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-016wj1c.png
and ingame AA off: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-01t5ksp.png
it's still adding the slight blur. Same result with in addition SSAO on and off in the ingame settings. I'm using the VSSAO2.fx from version 2.
edit: just noticed something. The images above are with ingame SSAO off and either AA on or off.
Same scene with ingame SSAO on:
with AA: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-0190ja8.png
without AA: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-01zbjb9.png
So with SSAO ingame off it looks like I get no SSAO at all even though it is enabled in the ini and the status notification agrees. With ingame SSAO on there is SSAO (is this from the game or GeDoSaTo?) but it doesn't change the blur.

Thanks for you response :) But not sure this is working. With SSAO in the ini set to strength 2, scale 1 I get:
with ingame AA on: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-016wj1c.png
and ingame AA off: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-01t5ksp.png
it's still adding the slight blur. Same result with in addition SSAO on and off in the ingame settings. I'm using the VSSAO2.fx from version 2.

You can switch to bilinear scaling and that'll sharpen things up a bit

Funny people like sharp stuff so much (sharp == smart ? :D). I happen to like paintings that are... well, not sharp... you know what I mean.

Durante

CopyCat, can you try enabling SMAA and taking a screenshot with that?

Funny people like sharp stuff so much (sharp == smart ? :D). I happen to like paintings that are... well, not sharp... you know what I mean.
Yeah, people really love their sharpness, even if it flickers in motion. Poor Timothy Lottes actually had to take down his blog post (which used to be here) comparing game graphics to Blu-rays and making an argument that games are actually often too sharp for realism.

Bittercup

CopyCat, can you try enabling SMAA and taking a screenshot with that?
Interesting. With SMAA and SSAO in the ini enabled:
ingame AA on/SSAO off: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-01kcjho.png
ingame AA off/SSAO off: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-0190jxh.png
ingame AA on/SSAO on: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-01xrjgd.png
ingame AA off/SSAO on: http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-01pckc5.png

In regards to sharpness: I like paintings and I like games not flickering and if a game supports TXAA or something similar, which looks great in motion, I use it, even though it can cause the image to be less sharp. But if the only difference I notice is that textures like on clothing are just slightly more blurry I'm not sure that's really an improvement :)

dwells

Probably a stupid question, but forgive me as it's been a while since I last PC gamed (for reference, the last time I was into PC gaming my Core 2 E8400 and HD4870 were top of the line...):

Do you need a very high end system for this to be at all useful, or can people with older systems playing older games still find some use for this? I've got some titles in my backlog from 2008 - 2011 that I imagine my MacBook Pro can handle (2.7GHz i7 quad, 8GB RAM, 1GB GT650M). Do I have a shot at being able to render titles at 2560x1600 and downscale to the laptop's 1680x1050 resolution, or perhaps 2560x1440 and downscale for my 720p TV?

Really I'm just looking to have some older games playable with nice image quality, would I be better off just looking for a simple SMAA injection solution? I've looked at SweetFX, but it seems awfully heavy and complex since I'm all really interested in is a low performance impact means of getting rid of jaggies.

Like I said, it's been a while since I was into gaming, so I don't know a lot about how performance/resolution scaling is these days and what the current bottlenecks are in most systems.

Thanks!

[Asmodean]

I agree about the sharpness. I think most games are too sharp and 'bare' looking. There's a difference between smooth, and blurry, though ;p

I really enjoy the smooth CGI look, myself. I think a great example of this in gaming is Bioshock Infinite - that game is beautiful. I love the post processing in it. It's too bad I can never seem to get into first person shooter-esq games lol.

[Asmodean]

Just posting a few demo screens of some colour correction palettes you can choose in the next version of the postfx shader suite. Note: that the first screenshot is with the shader effects disabled.

Strength of effect has been set higher than default, to highlight differences

These screens are just palette examples, you can basically fine tune any RGB combo you like, to produce the desired correction. Depending on the type. It will alter RGB, YUV, or XYZ components.

---
And a bonus Chromatic Lens Distortion screen. The effect has no real practical use, I was just trying it out for some fun xp

LeBart

New version!

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=517

This one was horrible to implement, a few times I almost gave up on the borderless window thing. And I also failed more than I should have at including the Stencil masking optimization for SMAA. But hey, now everything works.

I get a big red "out of memory" message in the middle of the screen with this version.
Edit: Forget I said anything, I had stereoscopic 3D on. Works fine now.

Top Bottom