• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Karak

My heart was gutted at reading about Dreamfall having issue. Lord that game so amazing. And 64 bit. But I am stoked to see this coming along.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, it seems to do the downsampling okay. (At least, I assume so. How does GeDoSaTo handle things if you've already set the resolution you're downsampling from as a custom resolution on your video card? )

I'll play with the settings a bit.

Durante

I ported one of the chromatic aberration shaders to the post.fx and am now using GeDo for evil.

I'm not actually going to use it, was just curious if I could make it work with my very rudimentary understanding of this shader stuff.
You absolutely should use it. CA is bad ass.
Yeah, i like CA, to be honest.
I mean it can get overdone at times, like any other effect.
Oh god, now I have to spend the next three months implementing a secret CA-detection component in GeDoSaTo which uses the latest in deep machine learning to recognize any shader which even remotely looks like it does CA and crashes the users' system.

I'm joking of course. I really don't like CA in almost any circumstance (the exception would be stuff actually seen through a camera, like a racing game replay), but I believe in people having the right to tune their graphics however they want :p

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh god, now I have to spend the next three months implementing a secret CA-detection component in GeDoSaTo which uses the latest in deep machine learning to recognize any shader which even remotely looks like it does CA and crashes the users' system.

I'm joking of course. I really don't like CA in almost any circumstance (the exception would be stuff actually seen through a camera, like a racing game replay), but I believe in people having the right to tune their graphics however they want :p

nothing is safe

11043470343_6b88a5500d_o.jpg

no game is sacred

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, it seems to do the downsampling okay. (At least, I assume so. How does GeDoSaTo handle things if you've already set the resolution you're downsampling from as a custom resolution on your video card? )

I'll play with the settings a bit.

I think I was able to run it at 4K fine (the engine is pretty well optimized), but the hud becomes miniscule and the mini-map is a little too necessary.

Some games I haven't been able to get GeDoSaTo to work with thus far: Rage, Metro Last Light and Assassin's Creed 1. Neither of these three accept the rendered resolution. With Alan Wake I get some nice visuals at under 5K resolution but any higher and the game crashes, complaining that I have run out of video memory. That's probably what I get for running with a GTX 580 with only 1.5GB of memory though.

Metro Last Light has native SSAA options, why would you need GeDoSaTo?

Wanny

Personally, a tiny bit of CA and Grain can fit in a third person horror games like Dead Spaces. Very subtle tho.

[Asmodean]

I'm not sure if it's been recommended before, but you should check out a site like Sta.sh or Flickr for hosting your images. I always get super stoked to see the progress of the stuff you're doing but since you're uploading the images to Imgur the quality is getting crunched down super hard and it makes it difficult to appreciate how good or bad the effect is.

Yeah, you're right. I signed up for Flickr last night, So I'll be using that from now on. I'd generally only upload screens for comparison stuff. So I'd just go with the handiest host for whacking it up lol.

There's a few flickr screens below with default shader settings. I haven't gotten to some of the more interesting looking areas of the game yet, unfortunately, to capture there. But I ultimately think screenshots don't do shader effects much justice anyway generally. I think even Flickr messes the look of them up also tbh, from looking at them.

Edit: sorry if they're hard to see properly because of the size. I run 1440p native, and I didn't want to resize them, due to interpolation etc. Maybe best to save them and compare in fullscreen.

Effects off / on with default shipped settings

14117520103_64bee53fd5_o.png
14117522473_a1746d0c1d_o.png

14074345416_9a87dd60d3_o.png
14094335762_ba81c27f32_o.png

14097880684_7975d80a40_o.png
13910839320_6acab1977b_o.png

An extra one just showing an example of the options
14097875794_8279301c55_o.png

And here's the latest version. If anyone happens to want it. I've been working mostly on the tone mapping last night. Trying to improve the mood and tone of it for this particular game. I'd still like to add a few more things, but this will do for the moment.

Edit2: I could also add chromatic aberration, if people wanted it. I can't do film grain though. I'd need a shader time param for that. I welcome suggestions for nice addition effects.

Metro Last Light has native SSAA options, why would you need GeDoSaTo?

Probably because I am not a smart man and have no idea what I'm doing. I'm really just trying to take hi-res screenshots, not actively play the game. I love me some Metro but once you've beaten it 5 times there's not much else to do but pick and choose your levels and take (potentially) great pictures.

LogicStep

I got it working was doing something wrong. Looks amazing. Kinda dark though and playing with a torch is tough because of blocking and it runs out. Dunno if I want to keep going like that. Definitely looks great though.

Durante

I got it working was doing something wrong. Looks amazing. Kinda dark though and playing with a torch is tough because of blocking and it runs out. Dunno if I want to keep going like that. Definitely looks great though.
It's intentionally quite dark by default, I like to play that way. However, you can easily disable the postprocessing (in GeDoSaTo.ini, change "enablePostprocessing true" to false), or tweak it in more detail in the post.fx file.

Grief.exe

My favorite feature of Gedosato is the toggle implementation in-game.

I toggle DOF on for boss fights and awesome vistas so I can take screenshots, off normally as the bokeh effect jacks up my GPUs to 99% utilization.

You can do the same to the post-process effects with num pad 4 if the area is too dark. I never do as I miss the color correction too much. Game looks washed out without Durante's profile.

Durante

I actually do the same. Since I play at 4k now, full Bokeh is too expensive, so I play with the in-game DoF and just toggle on Bokeh for specific Vistas. With the improved SMAA performance I can normally maintain > 45 FPS at 4k with all GoDoSaTo effects except DoF on.

And if an area is too dark I use a torch or a light spell :p

[Asmodean]

Does anyone have a good screenshot of chromatic aberration?, as a reference. I've got it working, but I dunno, it doesn't look right. Just looks slightly blurrier ;p I can't get the colour shift right or something.

I'd only include it if I can get it complementing the game nicely, and not a gimmicky looking effect.

edit: nvm, scrapped that idea, it was just annoying me wasting time. Ended up doing a filmic cross processing effect embedded into the tone map settings. Looks quite nice.

Updated the shader here again. I'm quite pleased with the results. Looks great, all things considered.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Okay, ran into my first issue just now. I had Shadowplay on while it happened. Figured I should upload the clip, maybe you can make sense of it. It sounds like I fell into the water and died at the end, but I wasn't moving the joystick.

I've put in a few hours with no problems at all, though. GeDoSaTo has been great for me so far. Not complaining, just wanted to share it.

Just so people know if they go to try it, this tool does not work with the disc version of Call of Duty 4. I get a black screen that I cannot get out of unless I sign out/ turn off my PC.

ALT+F4 - Not working
Task Manager - Not working
Right Clicking the exe and exiting - Not Working

My other two monitors work just fine, but the primary one I have the game on is stuck until I sign out of my PC.

Durante

Just so people know if they go to try it, this tool does not work with the disc version of Call of Duty 4. I get a black screen that I cannot get out of unless I sign out/ turn off my PC.

ALT+F4 - Not working
Task Manager - Not working
Right Clicking the exe and exiting - Not Working

My other two monitors work just fine, but the primary one I have the game on is stuck until I sign out of my PC.
These kinds of issues are the reason for the global hotkey. Pressing win+g should disable GeDoSaTo, thereby killing the game and returning your PC to working order.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For any interested, this works great with LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, and on top of that, supports downsampling and 3D at the same time.

Game looks super crisp

doomquake

Didn't work with titanfall or am I doing it wrong. I wrote "Titanfall" into the white list and turned gdst on but not additional resolutions appeared.

Also..DAT electron whine when playing in 4k on a evga 780 ti superclock

ezodagrom

Tried this out in Phantasy Star Online 2 using an alternate account, an account I only used in the past to try out different ideas for a character that I wanted to make, to check how the character would look in-game, since it's only possible to have 2 characters for free.
I didn't want to risk using my actual PSO2 account due to the anti-cheat tool the game uses, Gameguard.

Anyway, the result, from 4320x2700 to 1440x900:

The UI is really small when doing this though, because the game uses different settings for resolution and for UI scaling, which are limited at a max of 1920x1200 in the game launcher (I only got the 4320x2700 resolution by editing the game's configuration file, though I don't know what to do about the UI scaling settings).
Well, it's not like I'm going to use GeDoSaTo in PSO2 when actually playing anyway, because of Gameguard... ^^;

[Asmodean]

Durante, I've a small request: is there any chance you could pop the post.fx compileShader function into a try/catch, for a future version or something?. If you wouldn't mind doing so, that is.

When I'm testing my code or whatnot, and I have a stupid typo or I'm testing something new, naturally the file fails to compile, but it just UHexception crashes the program instead of maybe outputting "failed to compile %s, ".fx" " or such.

It's not a big deal, but when you're testing stuff it's sooooooo annoying lol.

Which tends to look better, SGSSAA or downsampling? Downsampling from 3840x2160 to 1080p kills my framerate, while I get 60 FPS at 4x SGSSAA (using the Nvidia Inspector tweaks).

I'm sticking to the in-game DOF, as well, as the performance hit from GeDoSaTo's DOF is too much for me (while running 4x SGSSAA), and it seems to blur my character and trees in a strange way that makes me dizzy. While I am no longer at 60 FPS with the AO, it's better than the in-game option.

I'm happy with how things look. I'm still debating whether the SSAO is worth the loss of a few frames.

Durante

[Asmodean];110596153 said:
Durante, I've a small request: is there any chance you could pop the post.fx compileShader function into a try/catch, for a future version or something?. If you wouldn't mind doing so, that is.

When I'm testing my code or whatnot, and I have a stupid typo or I'm testing something new, naturally the file fails to compile, but it just UHexception crashes the program instead of maybe outputting "failed to compile %s, ".fx" " or such.

It's not a big deal, but when you're testing stuff it's sooooooo annoying lol.
Well, it should output the shader compiler error into the log file, as long as your log level is at least 1. If you mean not stopping on a shader compiler error, then that's a bit more complicated, but I'll try.

Grief.exe

Didn't work with titanfall or am I doing it wrong. I wrote "Titanfall" into the white list and turned gdst on but not additional resolutions appeared.

Also..DAT electron whine when playing in 4k on a evga 780 ti superclock

I've never even opened up the menu for adding a game to Gedosato, but just typing the word Titanfall seems comical to me.

You probably just created the profile, now you have to attach the titanfall.exe. This is all theoretical by the way as I have never done it before, I'm sure the process is detailed in the read me.

I've never even opened up the menu for adding a game to Gedosato, but just typing the word Titanfall seems comical to me.

You probably just created the profile, now you have to attach the titanfall.exe. This is all theoretical by the way as I have never done it before, I'm sure the process is detailed in the read me.

It might sound quite comical but he/she actually did it correctly if Whitelist mode is used. You have to write the name of the executable minus the .exe suffix into GeDoSaTo's whitelist.txt. And since the executable of Titanfall is named Titanfall.exe, simply writing Titanfall is correct, as funny as it sounds :)

Grief.exe

It might sound quite comical but he/she actually did it correctly if Whitelist mode is used. You have to write the name of the executable minus the .exe suffix into GeDoSaTo's whitelist.txt. And since the executable of Titanfall is named Titanfall.exe, simply writing Titanfall is correct, as funny as it sounds :)

My apologies, then.

Durante designed quite the system if that is the case.

Just dropped in to say that the latest version, 0.4, is much more stable. Was able to play for several hours the other night without crashing.

Also, thanks so much for the Borderless fullscreen mode Durante : )

banjoted

I find that with both 2.0 and 4.0 (never downloaded 3.0) I get a crash after about the first 10/15 minutes but then it's fine after that. For what it's worth.

[Asmodean]

For people that are using my recent VSSAO versions. I've noticed an error in the output, which was causing some ambient/diffuse reflections to be dim looking compared to how they should look. (weirdly enough). Some examples would be: Heide's Tower of Flame glowing windows, armor/weapon reflections.

I was using saturate() on the final output (clamping it), and it was the cause. I'd suggest updating to the latest version here.

I've also updated my other post fx shader suite to 1.40. Some comparison screenshots here.

Need advice on an upgrade. My 6870 is showing its age. I was planning on upgrading for The Witcher 3, but if I can run DS2 in 4K reasonably I will pull the trigger now. Can any of the reasonably priced high end single cards run DS2 at 4K, or do you need multi-card solutions for that.

I plan to be upgrading to a 1440p display and use GeDoSaTo for downsampling from 4K.

Maybe I am totally underestimating the cost of this.

Levyne

Banned
I've been able to downsample from 4k on a 780 (EVGA superclocked series or whatever). Only lose 60fps at some fog gates and the outside areas of Earthen Peak for some reason.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about AMD cards.

Edit: I dunno if that is "reasonably priced' either, maybe I'm not helping.

[Asmodean];110739385 said:
For people that are using my recent VSSAO versions. I've noticed an error in the output, which was causing some ambient/diffuse reflections to be dim looking compared to how they should look. (weirdly enough). Some examples would be: Heide's Tower of Flame glowing windows, armor/weapon reflections.

I was using saturate() on the final output (clamping it), and it was the cause. I'd suggest updating to the latest version here.

I've also updated my other post fx shader suite to 1.40. Some comparison screenshots here.

I am using it, and I like it so much. Thanks for your work :)

EDIT: I was using your VSSAO v0.4 and I noticed the date on the file hasn't changed yet. Is that the corrected version you were referring to?

Top Bottom