• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

[Asmodean]

New version!

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=517

This one was horrible to implement, a few times I almost gave up on the borderless window thing. And I also failed more than I should have at including the Stencil masking optimization for SMAA. But hey, now everything works.

Sweet. Great work, thanks :)

I didn't think you had remembered about the SMAA :p, I can easily see the difference in quality, but I spend so much time looking at comparisons, that I'm a master of spot the difference by now lol. I also see ~6-8% less GPU load with the latest smaa/library version (same fx setup, & in-game location ofc).

The cursor hiding is also a nice welcome addition ^.^

------
Edit: hey Durante. I just noticed while debugging the AO, that it's being rendered on the skybox again, where as last version, it was completely ignoring it. Did you change the AO render order again, was this an intended change?

[Asmodean]

That Kotaku article they referenced seemed like it was referring to the case where users that have been VAC banned previously in other titles cannot gain access to Dark Souls 2 online features. Not that VAC has been banning Dark Souls 2 players, like the examiner article was making it sound like(?)

[Asmodean];110288785 said:
That Kotaku article they referenced seemed like it was referring to the case where users that have been VAC banned previously in other titles cannot gain access to Dark Souls 2 online features. Not that VAC has been banning Dark Souls 2 players, like the examiner article was making it sound like(?)

Ah well seems like there was an misinterpretation of the article then.

Durante

[Asmodean];110287246 said:
Edit: hey Durante. I just noticed while debugging the AO, that it's being rendered on the skybox again, where as last version, it was completely ignoring it. Did you change the AO render order again, was this an intended change?
I did modify the order, to mitigate the flickering issue when going through level transitions.

[Asmodean];110287246 said:
I didn't think you had remembered about the SMAA :p, I can easily see the difference in quality, but I spend so much time looking at comparisons, that I'm a master of spot the difference by now lol. I also see ~6-8% less GPU load with the latest smaa/library version (same fx setup, & in-game location ofc).
That's not really because of the new version (well, 1% or so is), but mostly because of the use of stencil masking.

[Asmodean]

I did modify the order, to mitigate the flickering issue when going through level transitions.

Yeah, I thought as much. As soon as I posted, I checked for the flickering on tonemap/area changes, and it was gone/unnoticeable. So I assumed that was the why of it.

That's not really because of the new version (well, 1% or so is), but mostly because of the use of stencil masking.

Aye I meant a combination of both, the new smaa version, and library (gedosato binary). I said it arseways ;p

Working well anyway, thanks.

I think I know now why some people get the "Could not register global hotkey" error.

On Windows 7 "Windows+G" brings the Windows gadgets to the foreground if there are any gadgets open, so its already bound. If you close all gadgets, the error will not appear and Win+G is bound to GeDoSaTo.

Borderless windowed! This is great! Thanks Durante. I think I'll see if I can trade the bokeh DoF for 1440 to 1080 downsampling and still keep my 60fps 99% of the time.

HRose

Banned
Probably a stupid question, but forgive me as it's been a while since I last PC gamed (for reference, the last time I was into PC gaming my Core 2 E8400 and HD4870 were top of the line...):

That's my old PC, with the difference I got a 4850. DS2 plays fine even with SweetFX on, but I keep it capped at 32 FPS (and 720p) to not overstress the videocard.

FPS in Majula, with SweetFX, would probably be around 45.

Still WAY better than consoles!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That's my old PC, with the difference I got a 4850. DS2 plays fine even with SweetFX on, but I keep it capped at 32 FPS (and 720p) to not overstress the videocard.

FPS in Majula, with SweetFX, would probably be around 45.

Still WAY better than consoles!

Why capped at 32 and not 30?

Durante

I would love to play in borderless window but I'm getting significant framerate drops using it. Oh well.
Some framerate reduction is normal, but it shouldn't really be a significant drop. Could you try setting presentationInterval to 0 when running in borderless windowed mode?

Has anyone tried borderless windowed in any other game than DS2? I haven't done so yet, but in theory it should work.

The-Bean

Borderless windowed is awesome, thank you. Any chance of getting some sort of multi-monitor support? Being able to send the game to a selected monitor would be really helpful, I like to play some games on my second monitor (1360x768 HDTV) so I can multitask (great for turn-based games) but sometimes the games aren't really multi-monitor friendly and moving them over can be difficult.

When the program works in games other than Dark Souls 2, will it still show that nice pop-up overlay telling me what effects are being used?

Edit: Tried it with the Witcher 2 and Darksiders 2 and got no indication that it was working.

Edit 2: Aha, totally forgot about whitelisting executables. Now back to testing...

Edit Part 3: Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit works with both downsampling and borderless windowed mode.

Thorgal

The only thing i am sad about with this tool is that apparently most games do not go higher then 8K resolution (7680 × 4320) .

I wish i could get a resolution of 15360 × 8640 working which would be i assume 16k

Durante

When the program works in games other than Dark Souls 2, will it still show that nice pop-up overlay telling me what effects are being used?
Well, currently only downsampling is supported for other programs, no other effects. But the numpad "+" key (or whatever you configured) should still bring up version and downsampling information at least.

Edit Part 3: Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit works with both downsampling and borderless windowed mode.
Nice, so at least it's not a single-purpose implementation.

Hmn, trying borderless windowed mode for DOTA 2 makes me unable to even start the game. Although I had already trouble with the game before.

Here's the info on some games I had installed. I've been downsampling from 2880x1620 and been trying borderless windowed mode in each one.

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
- Borderless Windowed: Yes
- Downsampling: Yes
- Downsampling + Borderless Windowed: Yes
- Mouse: No mouse support by default! Not a big issue as it's a controller or racing wheel game anyway.

FEAR 2
- Downsampling: Yes, but all the lights are super blown out like someone cranked up the bloom.
- Mouse: Worked normally once I changed interceptWindowProc to true.
- Additional notes: When only downsampling both modifySetCursorPos and interceptWindowProc must be set to true or else your character will spin like crazy once you enter the game.

Alan Wake
- Downsampling: Yes, game resets to native res each time you quit.
- Downsampling + Borderless Windowed: No, seems to stretch the native window to the resolution you've selected (so you can only see part of it) and doesn't actually render it differently.
- Mouse: Had to change modifyGetCursorPos to true to get normal mouse functionality.

Resident Evil 5 (DX9 Mode)
- Borderless Windowed: No, game minimises itself when you alt+tab and then has to quickly reload the game when you maximise it again. Works the same regardless of GeDoSaTo's presence.
- Downsampling + Borderless Windowed: You can downsample but the game ignores GeDoSaTo's borderless setting.
- Mouse: Worked normally once I changed modifyGetCursorPos to true, but then it made the GFWL overlay really small (Not really an issue imo).
- Additional Notes: GFWL overlay renders properly when not using the borderless windowed setting.

The Witcher 2
- Borderless Windowed: No
- Downsampling: No, makes the screen flicker and go nuts. Looks like it's flickering back and forth between the downsampling resolution and the native one. When I took a screenshot with MSI Afterburner while this was happening it gave me a 2880x1620 screenshot.

Burnout Paradise
- Mouse: Can't move it out of what I'm guessing is the "native" portion of the screen. The cursor isn't bound to the game and can freely move to my second monitor. Not a big issue as most users would use a controller or racing wheel to play this game.
- Additional Notes: Mouse moves freely out of game window even when not using borderless windowed.

The Stanley Parable
- Borderless Windowed: No, screen flickers black and then game does not launch.
- Downsampling + Borderless Windowed: No

Euro Truck Simulator 2
- Borderless Windowed: Yes, but the window appears behind the taskbar.
- Downsampling: Yes.
- Downsampling + Borderless Windowed: No, game window sits behind taskbar and then once downsampling resolution is selected the game window becomes invisible.
- Mouse: No issues when downsampling.

Lost Planet 2 (DX9)
- Borderless Windowed: Yes, but the game has a thin white border around the edges.
- Downsampling: Yes, but change your other display options before doing so because once you're downsampling the graphics menu seems to freeze. Game otherwise plays fine.
- Downsampling + Borderless Windowed: Yes, but white border persists and you cannot edit graphics options once you have downsampled.
- Mouse: Worked normally once I changed modifyGetCursorPos to true, but then it made the GFWL overlay really small (Not really an issue imo).

Mount & Blade: Warband
- Borderless Windowed: Yes.
- Downsampling: No, resolutions appear in the launcher but if selected you get a black screen after the intro movies. The in-game resolution list appears to go off-screen and there's no way to scroll it.
- Downsampling + Borderless Windowed: No.

Resident Evil 4
- Borderless Windowed: No.
- Downsampling: No.
- Downsampling + Borderless Windowed: No!

Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2
- Downsampling: No, resolutions appear in-game but will make the game crash if you select them.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
- Doesn't see custom resolutions set at driver level, also doesn't see GeDoSaTo.

Hitman: Blood Money
- Doesn't see custom resolutions set at driver level, also doesn't see GeDoSaTo.

Tomb Raider (2013)
- Downsampling: No, resolutions appear in the launcher and in-game but selecting them gives you a black screen with audio.

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine
- Downsampling: No.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist
- Downsampling: No, resolutions appear in-game but selecting them crashes it.
- Downsampling + Borderless Windowed: No, as above.

Far Cry 3
- Downsampling: No, my driver customised resolutions showed up in the list but the GeDoSaTo one did not. I tried replacing 800x600 with the desired downsampling resolution but it didn't work.
- Downsampling + Borderless Windowed: No, as above.

Half-Life 2
- Borderless Windowed: No, game doesn't launch with this set to true.
- Downsampling: Yes, but the game seemed to forget the resolution setting each time I launched it.

Durante

Thanks for the in-depth testing. I know I should set up something for reporting this information which is more controlled than a google document but which other people can edit, but I really don't have the time.

Hmn, trying borderless windowed mode for DOTA 2 makes me unable to even start the game. Although I had already trouble with the game before.
That's too bad, but really expected, it does a few rather suspect things to make it work. Maybe compatibility will improve in future versions, when I have time to look at other games again (or if other people do once I release the source code).

Arkanius

Thanks for the in-depth testing. I know I should set up something for reporting this information which is more controlled than a google document but which other people can edit, but I really don't have the time.

That's too bad, but really expected, it does a few rather suspect things to make it work. Maybe compatibility will improve in future versions, when I have time to look at other games again (or if other people do once I release the source code).

Dota2 Downsampling fullscreen also works for me, however, it will end up crashing not even 10 minutes in the game. Usually when someone dies. But it's incredible really, the compatibility seems to be decent all around.

Thanks again for the superb work Durante! :) 0.4 with borderless fullscreen is a dream come true for me who hates playing games in exclusive fullscreen :p

And to add to the list above:

Sonic Generations

Works like a charm! :D

One question though, do you plan to eventually add a FPS counter to the overlay? Normally I just use the MSI Afterburner OSD but GeDoSaTo doesn't seem to like it and disables it or rather prevents it from showing up. I figured I would ask but I know you must have alot on your plate already so it's no big deal :)

UrbanRats

So, what are some of the ENG effects missing in this?

I tried the ENB on the Nexus, and frankly i like that DoF less than GeDoSaTo's (not to mention the worse IQ) however the bloom and shinyness is really cool! The sparks and bonfires especially.
I was wondering if it's possible to obtain through GeDoSaTo or not.

BTW, tried with Jet Set Radio, but it crashes at startup.

And to add to the list above:

Sonic Generations

Works like a charm! :D

Thank you, I'll edit my post with any updates.

Skyfireblaze said:
One question though, do you plan to eventually add a FPS counter to the overlay? Normally I just use the MSI Afterburner OSD but GeDoSaTo doesn't seem to like it and disables it or rather prevents it from showing up. I figured I would ask but I know you must have alot on your plate already so it's no big deal :)

Are you using the latest MSI Afterburner beta? I've found it has greater compatibility with many things, including 64-bit games. Every game I've tested with GeDoSaTo has also had MSI Afterburner's overlay running on top of it without issue. Hell, when Dark Souls 2 first came out I was running MSI Afterburner, RadeonPro AND GeDoSaTo all at once, working together in perfect harmony.

Child of light dpwnampling seemed to work, but the mouse was messed up. Haven't tried the other settings though maybe there is a toggle I missed.

[Asmodean]

So, what are some of the ENG effects missing in this?

I tried the ENB on the Nexus, and frankly i like that DoF less than GeDoSaTo's (not to mention the worse IQ) however the bloom and shinyness is really cool! The sparks and bonfires especially.
I was wondering if it's possible to obtain through GeDoSaTo or not.

As it stands, not really tbh. ENB is hooking into the game's post processing parameters for use with the effects. Sure, with multiple passes & appropriate textures I could do those shaders for this, but without the appropriate params I'd have to hardcode every value, and this would be a total mess. Not to mention it wouldn't look/work right.

You can try this if you like. Bearing in mind that this is a single pass, single texture shader. Where as enb is using about 20+ passes/textures & game-specific hooked params, LUTs etc lol.

Default settings are fairly neutral, it has options for tweaking and whatnot. Use a text editor for configuring options.

a random off/on screencap of default settings below.

off
5MLM0Dc.jpg

on
lkg97Pj.jpg

Edit: Looking at screenshots like this depress me at how Dark Souls II's visuals ended up tbh http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3040 : / That pre-release render system, lighting, textures etc are just totally in another category. It's like looking at a completely different game. There's downgrading and there's downgrading. and people are wondering why it has such low system requirements lol

UrbanRats

[Asmodean];110378938 said:
As it stands, not really tbh. ENB is hooking into the game's post processing parameters for use with the effects. Sure, with multiple passes & appropriate textures I could do those shaders for this, but without the appropriate params I'd have to hardcode every value, and this would be a total mess. Not to mention it wouldn't look/work right.

You can try this if you like. Bearing in mind that this is a single pass, single texture shader. Where as enb is using about 20+ passes/textures & game-specific hooked params, LUTs etc lol.

Default settings are fairly neutral, it has options for tweaking and whatnot. Use a text editor for configuring options.

Edit: Looking at screenshots like this depress me at how Dark Souls II's visuals ended up tbh http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3040 : / That pre-release render system, lighting, textures etc are just totally in another category. It's like looking at a completely different game. There's downgrading and there's downgrading. and people are wondering why it has such low system requirements lol

I'm not sure that would do the same thing i'm talking about.

I'm sorry if i sound like a troglodyte here, but i'm not sure what effect is what, so i took some screens, to show you what i meant:

irtBOCj9fcGVi.png

See how the particular sparks and lights have a bloom, but it's not over the whole picture, and in motion is even prettier.
It's especially evident on the bonfire (i'd argue even a little too strong).

Zeliard

Durante or anyone else, have you gotten GeDoSaTo to work properly with Consortium yet? I noticed it already listed in the whitelist so I figured it was supported, but I guess it's rudimentary so far as it's not really functioning for me.

The tool detects the game and I'm able to switch to the downsampling res, but the UI works as if it's in the rendering resolution, so the cursor isn't properly centered and clicking on things is basically impossible.

Edit: oh wait a second, I totally missed those mouse cursor settings in the .ini. Will mess with those some and report back later.

Buburibon

I'm sorry if i sound like a troglodyte here, but i'm not sure what effect is what, so i took some screens, to show you what i meant:

irtBOCj9fcGVi.png

See how the particular sparks and lights have a bloom, but it's not over the whole picture, and in motion is even prettier.

That's very nice. I'm all for fancier particle effects. :)

Thank you, I'll edit my post with any updates.

Are you using the latest MSI Afterburner beta? I've found it has greater compatibility with many things, including 64-bit games. Every game I've tested with GeDoSaTo has also had MSI Afterburner's overlay running on top of it without issue. Hell, when Dark Souls 2 first came out I was running MSI Afterburner, RadeonPro AND GeDoSaTo all at once, working together in perfect harmony.

Good idea, thanks! :) And hmm that's interesting, I have MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 19 and I set the OSD to not show by default unless I press CTRL+ALT+O but nothing happens when I do so in Dark Souls II with GeDoSaTo running :/ Is there a setting I miss in Afterburner?

How did you get it to work? I cant set it in game and it crash when i set gedosato to use the configuration tool.

Oh I wrote some guides before, you have to tinker a little but only once:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109404712&postcount=229
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109679425&postcount=629

UrbanRats

That's very nice. I'm all for fancier particle effects. :)

It looks pretty great most of the time, though in some spots it can be rough.

Also, when i try to supersample with inspector, it fucks up the DoF and it gets all blurry, not sure why:

Also bonus, thought it was cool, dark phantom summon sign, flashing into existance:

--
On the other hand, GeDoSaTo gives me custom textures, borderless window and hidden crosshair. :\

So i'm really not sure which one i'm going to keep, as of now.

Kade

Was wondering why the game was suddenly so dark but I realized that the in-game brightness slider does nothing when you're running it in FS Borderless window. Couldn't see anything in the sewer area of Heide's Tower.

Is there a way to adjust the brightness in this mode?

[Asmodean]

irtBOCj9fcGVi.png

That's object light source luminance turned up super high, in combination with the general DoF/bloom. I'd imagine it's to counter the really strong tone map downscaling for the areas (to make it super dark).

As I mentioned above, you'd need access to the appropriate info (the light source parameters) to modify them independently of the overall scene. You could just increase the scene luminance a shit load, and then decrease the black levels by the same about to counter it, but it would probably just look ridiculous.

Each to their own I of course, but I generally don't use enbseries stuff. 1: 90% of it is for a single game - Skyrim. Most for other games just have some generic effects. 2: Imo performance/stability is worse than it should be for the effects you're getting. 3: he's stuff is completely closed-source, and he just tells people to piss off when they ask about it lol. When they're configured well, they can look amazing though, of course.

Buburibon

It looks pretty great most of the time, though in some spots it can be rough.

Also, when i try to supersample with inspector, it fucks up the DoF and it gets all blurry, not sure why:

Also bonus, thought it was cool, dark phantom summon sign, flashing into existance:

--
On the other hand, GeDoSaTo gives me custom textures, borderless window and hidden crosshair. :\

So i'm really not sure which one i'm going to keep, as of now.

Yeah, force-enabled SGSSAA isn't always compatible with some post-processing techniques. In any case, the dark phantom summon sign "flashing into existence" is pretty interesting, so I'll have to try it out for myself to see what it looks like in person.

I'll be sticking with GeDoSaTo for the remainder of my first playthrough. The latest version which introduced the borderless window downsampling is great for those of us dealing with fullscreen pauses/hiccups/stutters caused by the last couple driver releases from Nvidia.

UrbanRats

[Asmodean];110401291 said:
That's object light source luminance turned up super high, in combination with the general DoF/bloom. I'd imagine it's to counter the really strong tone map downscaling for the areas (to make it super dark).

As I mentioned above, you'd need access to the appropriate info (the light source parameters) to modify them independently of the overall scene. You could just increase the scene luminance a shit load, and then decrease the black levels by the same about to counter it, but it would probably just look ridiculous.

Each to their own I of course, but I generally don't use enbseries stuff. 1: 90% of it is for a single game - Skyrim. Most for other games just have some generic effects. 2: Imo performance/stability is worse than it should be for the effects you're getting. 3: he's stuff is completely closed-source, and he just tells people to piss off when they ask about it lol. When they're configured well, they can look amazing though, of course.
Yeah, i only used it in GTAIV and (the little bit i played of) Skyrim.
I see what you're saying though.

If you're willing to compromise the game's art direction drastically, you can go for some really weird experiments though, like this:
http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/43/?

Which is nigh unplayable if you don't know the areas already/haven't played the game, but it paints a lovely bleak and utterly depressing picture of the world, even Majula:

iEs3JLV89wKea.png

iuRW9Wre1MTqi.png

i0FRsVhBgKoyq.png

Though as i said, hard to play the game like this:

--
Anyway, didn't want to shit the thread with ENB talk, since it's impossible to use the two together, let's move over. :p

[Asmodean]

Yeah, i only used it in GTAIV and (the little bit i played of) Skyrim.
I see what you're saying though.

If you're willing to compromise the game's art direction drastically, you can go for some really weird experiments though, like this:
http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/43/?

Which is nigh unplayable if you don't know the areas already/haven't played the game, but it paints a lovely bleak and utterly depressing picture of the world, even Majula:

[....]

Though as i said, hard to play the game like this:

--
Anyway, didn't want to shit the thread with ENB talk, since it's impossible to use the two together, let's move over. :p

Daaaark xD

For fun, I tried something similar by tweaking my tone mapping below. Incidentally while doin that, I discovered a nice improvement for it that I can actually use lol.

Same shot, with the effects off, then on.
The second one looks like the Abyss or something lol.

The real Dark Souls begins here..

----
Oh man this works well with PCSX2. Make sure you set the internal res to what ever you downsample to.

Unexpected lol

Durante

Durante or anyone else, have you gotten GeDoSaTo to work properly with Consortium yet? I noticed it already listed in the whitelist so I figured it was supported, but I guess it's rudimentary so far as it's not really functioning for me.

The tool detects the game and I'm able to switch to the downsampling res, but the UI works as if it's in the rendering resolution, so the cursor isn't properly centered and clicking on things is basically impossible.

Edit: oh wait a second, I totally missed those mouse cursor settings in the .ini. Will mess with those some and report back later.
Consortium (and other source games) should actually work, but they do need specific parameters. And I'm not sure it works with borderless windowed -- the last version I used with Consortium was the prerelease alpha.

Good idea, thanks! :) And hmm that's interesting, I have MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 19 and I set the OSD to not show by default unless I press CTRL+ALT+O but nothing happens when I do so in Dark Souls II with GeDoSaTo running :/ Is there a setting I miss in Afterburner?

I just tried ctrl+alt+o and it works fine on my end. Here's a shot of my Afterburner control panel to compare to your own:

msiab_ctrlpanel_by_realghostvids-d7gw3u8.jpg

Some games I haven't been able to get GeDoSaTo to work with thus far: Rage, Metro Last Light and Assassin's Creed 1. Neither of these three accept the rendered resolution. With Alan Wake I get some nice visuals at under 5K resolution but any higher and the game crashes, complaining that I have run out of video memory. That's probably what I get for running with a GTX 580 with only 1.5GB of memory though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
[Asmodean];110378938 said:

I'm not sure if it's been recommended before, but you should check out a site like Sta.sh or Flickr for hosting your images. I always get super stoked to see the progress of the stuff you're doing but since you're uploading the images to Imgur the quality is getting crunched down super hard and it makes it difficult to appreciate how good or bad the effect is.

For some reason when I was initially testing games I only tried downsampling and borderless windowed together, which seems to have a higher chance of not working than using just one of those features. Upon going back I've found that some games that didn't work right or didn't launch can be played if you use just one of the settings. I'll update this post as I test more games.

Durante

For some reason when I was initially testing games I only tried downsampling and borderless windowed together, which seems to have a higher chance of not working than using just one of those features. Upon going back I've found that some games that didn't work right or didn't launch can be played if you use just one of the settings. I'll update this post as I test more games.
Yes, that's normal. I've noticed that forcing borderless windowed causes some games to crash which otherwise work fine with downsampling.

Parsnip

I ported one of the chromatic aberration shaders to the post.fx and am now using GeDo for evil.

I'm not actually going to use it, was just curious if I could make it work with my very rudimentary understanding of this shader stuff.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I ported one of the chromatic aberration shaders to the post.fx and am now using GeDo for evil.

I'm not actually going to use it, was just curious if I could make it work with my very rudimentary understanding of this shader stuff.

You absolutely should use it. CA is bad ass.

Top Bottom