• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BASED MOTHERFUCKING DURANTE

(here is a scene that is typically rife with aliasing using GeDoSaTo for 4K + the fixed FXAA capture with raw image downsampled to 1080p)

14415800931_8195991c63_o_d.png

A few questions if anyone can help

Does this currently only work with some games? Eg, ive tried to use it in AC4, Sleeping Dogs, and a few others and nothing happens.

Can you only have one chosen resolution in the ini? Like i tried to add a couple of different resolutions but again, it only seemed to work if i had one resolution to downsample from in the ini.

And does it vary from game to game? I had DS2 workign at some massive 7600x3000 (or whatever it was) fine, but then i tried it in Zeno Clash 2, and it seems to only accept up to 2560x1600. Anything over that, and it just doesnt show as a chooseable resolution.

Durante

Ah, fair enough thanks. Is a DX11 compatible version in the pipeline or is that an impossibility?
Yes, it's planned. It's not an impossibility. It's not even particularly hard as such (at least I'd say so :p). It's just a whole lot of work.

Pay me to work on GeDoSaTo full time and I'll have it done in a week ;)

Yes, it's planned. It's not an impossibility. It's not even particularly hard as such (at least I'd say so :p). It's just a whole lot of work.

If i hadnt bankrupted myself buying a GTX 770, id bankroll you to do this shit :D

Parsnip

Beta7 downsampling doesn't seem to work for me. Post processing, bloom etc work fine though. I can pick the resolution from the list, but it doesn't appear to do anything at all, rather it just appears to silently revert to whatever resolution I was using before. Then when I close the game it will show this error and crash when I hit OK.
qIcHYKx.jpg

http://pastebin.com/xBypuch7
Here's some level 1 logs from Dark Souls 2, maybe it's useful. D3DERR_INVALIDCALL seems like a bad thing?

Buburibon

That sounds quite tempting. I wouldn't mind banding together with other folks here to make that happen. What's full-time for you? 40-50h for the one week? :)

BONKERS

A few questions if anyone can help

Does this currently only work with some games? Eg, ive tried to use it in AC4, Sleeping Dogs, and a few others and nothing happens.

Can you only have one chosen resolution in the ini? Like i tried to add a couple of different resolutions but again, it only seemed to work if i had one resolution to downsample from in the ini.

And does it vary from game to game? I had DS2 workign at some massive 7600x3000 (or whatever it was) fine, but then i tried it in Zeno Clash 2, and it seems to only accept up to 2560x1600. Anything over that, and it just doesnt show as a chooseable resolution.

With Zeno Clash 2, you need to manually replace the resolutions in some of the config files. Or use the resolution replacing function of GeDoSaTo
It doesn't detect most resolutions.

Is there a tutorial for dummies on how to make this work. It appears from my reading that you have to load this into the files of every game like a mod. Am I missing something?

BONKERS

How much would that week cost?

I'm sure i'm not the only one interested honestly. I think if it's an honest reasonable amount of money for the amount of work to be done, I bet a bunch of us could chip in to make that happen!

Anywho: Has anyone gotten this to work with Mafia II?

Game doesn't show overlay, doesn't give option for custom resolution selected in .ini (Even though it lists any driver custom resolutions fine)

and if using the resolution replacing method (With or without emulate flip behavior) when changing the resolution it just becomes a black screen.

jett

D-Member
What kind of hardware are you guys using? Is this more taxing than adding up MSAA? I only have a single 280X, I'm guessing at best I can only hope for 30fps when using this program?

BONKERS

What kind of hardware are you guys using? Is this more taxing than adding up MSAA? I only have a single 280X, I'm guessing at best I can only hope for 30fps when using this program?

MSAA only AAs geometry. And in many modern games, a lot of geometric edges are completely missed due to a variety of reasons.

Downsampling is SSAA, when working with the game, you can essentially use SSAA+SMAA/FXAA to any ratio that is playable for you.
(Eg: 1080p monitor, downsampling from 2160p;4k; is 2x2 = 4xSSAA)

How good it looks in motion depends on the game however for a variety of reasons.

But even then, in terms of IQ , edge quality and a lot of times motion quality. It beats MSAA

i5 3570k stock
GTX 770 4GB stock
8GB RAM

Been running everything I can at 4k and 60 frames by dropping things down a level if needed.

robgrab

The latest beta works flawlessly with the Dead Space series and both Rayman games. I'm having minor issues with other games. Borderlands 2 works great except every few seconds it does a freeze frame for about 5 seconds, and the color looks 8bit, but then it goes back to normal. It makes it really hard to play because it happens so frequently. Bioshock works great except when I try using it with Flawless Widesceen the reticle and HUD get shrunk up into the left corner. It's like Flawless Widescreen doesn't recognize the proper resolution. Dragon Age Origins doesn't work at all. A garbled main menu image comes up and then it hard locks my computer. Witcher 2 doesn't work either. I'll keep testing but so far when it works it works great. For instance in Bioshock the performance is WAY faster than driver based downsampling. For reference I'm running dual GTX 670 FTW in SLI on an LG 2560x1080 monitor.

Update: I noticed the "freeze frame" bug in Borderlands 2 specifically happens every time you hit a checkpoint. Not sure why that is.

robgrab

Just tested GeDoSaTo running with Flawless Widescreen on Resident Evil 6 at 3840x1620 and it was perfect (your tool, not RE6).

I admittedly have not been keeping up with this thread since the first week or so, but I have a question regarding DSII on steam.

Has anyone gotten banned for using this mod? I know there was some initial hesitation by a lot of people (myself included) that it might violate VAC. Has anyone run into any trouble?

Buburibon

How much would that week cost? I'm sure i'm not the only one interested honestly. I think if it's an honest reasonable amount of money for the amount of work to be done, I bet a bunch of us could chip in to make that happen!

Count me in. :) I thought I had made myself clear with my comment/inquiry a couple of days ago, but apparently I must have come across as though I were joking or something.

Rafterman

Banned

Where do we donate? All the games I want to use this with are DX11.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I admittedly have not been keeping up with this thread since the first week or so, but I have a question regarding DSII on steam.

Has anyone gotten banned for using this mod? I know there was some initial hesitation by a lot of people (myself included) that it might violate VAC. Has anyone run into any trouble?

No ones been banned with Dark Souls II for anything, because it is no longer VAC enabled past the first week or so.

Newboi

New Geforce drivers have been released 340.43 which apparently improve SLI in DKSII and provides an official HBAO+ profile. If we enable HBAO+ should we disabled SSAO in your tool or will they work well together?

Durante

New Geforce drivers have been released 340.43 which apparently improve SLI in DKSII and provides an official HBAO+ profile. If we enable HBAO+ should we disabled SSAO in your tool or will they work well together?
Oh nice, I hadn't seen that yet. I'll test this.

But if it works well, you should absolutely disable my AO and use the driver HBAO+ instead.

Edit:
I just tested it, and at least for me it flickers on and off randomly depending on the camera orientation. When it works it's awesome, but it's not usable like this.

peronmls

Is SSAO fixed in Dark areas like The Gutter. Before you could see SSAO work in the dark on pillars and what not when you are not suppose to see the pillars in the first place.

BONKERS

Oh nice, I hadn't seen that yet. I'll test this.

But if it works well, you should absolutely disable my AO and use the driver HBAO+ instead.

Edit:
I just tested it, and at least for me it flickers on and off randomly depending on the camera orientation. When it works it's awesome, but it's not usable like this.

I really wish Nvidia would test this stuff before they put it in there.
This is ultimately the problem we've had with other custom flags.

But interestingly enough, i've discovered lately that in some games HBAO+ will flicker on and off depending on your resolution used. Or will have a bug.

Ex: Murdered Soul Suspect in DX9, at 2048x1152 HBAO+ flickers on and off depending on proximity and camera. Which is odd because it's a perfect 16:9 AR.

At 1600x900, 1920x1080 this doesn't happen. It doesn't even happen at 1366x768 or 2736x1532 which are both non perfect 16:9.

With Mafia II, at non perfect 16:9 AR, there is a projection bug of some kind which causes something akin to a wall corner being projected through the middle of the screen

Durante

Ideally, NV should offer some kind of API for driver-level HBAO+. Then people (like me) could just say "here's the framebuffer, here's the Z buffer, do your magic".

BONKERS

Ideally, NV should offer some kind of API for driver-level HBAO+. Then people (like me) could just say "here's the framebuffer, here's the Z buffer, do your magic".

Yeah, absolutely. I've thought about this time and time again.

The flags actually do have functions and there are other unused functions that haven't been used in an official flag yet. But it is a little basic at that. Just because unless you know how the game is doing it's stuff (IE: No way to debug in real time what is going on). It's guesswork. (Even if you did, whether it works or not is another thing.)

For example

The 3 within the flag for DSII; the 2nd one in 33; is important because within the driver this function this checks the viewport width against the primary (whether means primary flip chain is another matter of guessing) . Which is what could be potentially maybe causing issues with some resolutions and aspect ratios i'm guessing. (Keyword Guess.)

I've asked some others to test the flag a bit more with varying resolutions just because it seems it can be an issue now and i'd like to see if this flickering on and off issues exists in every resolution/AR combination.

Czigga

Beta7 downsampling doesn't seem to work for me. Post processing, bloom etc work fine though. I can pick the resolution from the list, but it doesn't appear to do anything at all, rather it just appears to silently revert to whatever resolution I was using before. Then when I close the game it will show this error and crash when I hit OK.
qIcHYKx.jpg

I am getting that same issue when I close the game. Although haven't tried new release yet.

qIcHYKx.jpg

I just recently started getting this issue using the latest release. Happens every time I close the game.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
BASED MOTHERFUCKING DURANTE

(here is a scene that is typically rife with aliasing using GeDoSaTo for 4K + the fixed FXAA capture with raw image downsampled to 1080p)

14415800931_8195991c63_o_d.png
Know exactly what you're talking about (regarding the aliasing). Pic brings tears of joy to my nerdy eyes. Looks great. Need to reinstall DS1and2 and check it out for myself.

Quick heads up, beta 7 is working for me again in Bound by Flame. Was previously getting black screen w/beta 6.

Happened to browse comments on the blog and it seems someone reported some issues were solved by making sure the patch GeDoSaTo resides in does not contain non-English characters. An issue with character encoding, perhaps?

Durante

Happened to browse comments on the blog and it seems someone reported some issues were solved by making sure the patch GeDoSaTo resides in does not contain non-English characters. An issue with character encoding, perhaps?
Yes. The current github version of GeDoSaToTool explicitly checks the install path suitability and user permissions and gives helpful error message popups.

BONKERS

Darksiders 2 and Injustice now work!!! All Hail DuRaNtE!!

Injustice feels kind of slow tho. Even at 60fps it feels really slow. Might be the AA...

Probably due to the motion blurring from your monitor/TV.

There is no longer obscene pixellation and hard edges. So it's just continuous smooth and believable images delivered one after the other instead of one frame being this amount of aliased here and the next frame being just as aliased but the pixels have moved. So it it's noisy and fast looking most of the time at 60FPS.

So when this is blurred in motion by the panel lagging behind. It looks quite a bit different than if you were using no AA or shitty AA.

You may want to try without any AA and see how you feel then.

OK, I feel stupid. I'm trying to get this to work with another game for the first time (AC4:BF). I added the exe to the whitelist (AC4BFSP), but that doesn't seem to be enough and I'm not sure what to do after that. Any help?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
OK, I feel stupid. I'm trying to get this to work with another game for the first time (AC4:BF). I added the exe to the whitelist (AC4BFSP), but that doesn't seem to be enough and I'm not sure what to do after that. Any help?
That's a dx11 game. This doesn't support dx11 right now.

Has anyone got this to work on Ninja Storm 3? I've been trying a couple of options, but always get stuck with a black screen with the options flickering at the top. I tried to forego the downsampling by setting it to render at 1920x1080 just to get the AA boost, but that also leaves me with the same issue.

Anyone have any luck getting GeDoSaTo working with Shadow Warrior (2013) or Hard Reset?

They basically use the same (very very similar) Dx9 engine, yet the game crashes iving an error when ever you try and use GeDoSaTo with it. Just curious!

Wulfegang

Has anyone been able to get Vindictus to work? It launches ok but when I hit + on the NumPad it tells me it is "Not Downsampling".Thanks for any help in advance.

EDIT: I was finally able to get it working in Fullscreen Windowed mode but the mouse cursor and menus are off. I'll mess around with the mouse settings to see if I can fix it.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Souls 2
GeDoSaTo_Beta7_SeishoujoSacrifice (Using it for just Post Processing, AA and texture replacement)

I recently started to play the game at 2720x1530 (Downsampled via Drivers) and the Skybox in the Last Bastille and Drangleic Castle disappears (to provide a dark blue and black colors respectively).

Sometimes there and its sometimes not there.

Is it a problem with the game and the odd resolution?

This one needs a little bit tweaking :

- Open 'OLEngine.ini'
- Set 'bUseCustomResolution=True'
- Set 'CustomResX=YourDesiredWidth CustomResY=YourDesiredHeight'
- Save
- Make the file read-only and launch the game with GedoSato enabled

NB : modifyGetCursorPos must be set to True

Rigbaby

Neo Member
This one needs a little bit tweaking :

- Open 'OLEngine.ini'
- Set 'bUseCustomResolution=True'
- Set 'CustomResX=YourDesiredWidth CustomResY=YourDesiredHeight'
- Save
- Make the file read-only and launch the game with GedoSato enabled

NB : modifyGetCursorPos must be set to True

Thanks Boulotaur, just updated the compatibility list with your settings.

I wonder if it would be too ambitious at this stage to have a central compatibility settings file that GeDoSaToTool can automatically download...?

Durante

I think it would make sense to have gedosatotool pull new setting files directly from github. The problem is that those files might use new options not yet implemented in the current version. The solution is to have it also pull new versions of the dll. But that would require me to do even more frequent releases, and each release is still associated with quite a bit of manual work.

Top Bottom