• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
First Beta release!

Generic AA & postprocessing Plugin!
Tool GUI overhaul!
Bugfixes!
Performance monitoring!

betaguiqiu8p.png

207350_2014-06-01_000hosd6.png

Anyone with the game, sufficient motivation and some time could probably write a game plugin to fix that. As soon as I release the source, which should be no more than a week from now.

I of course know it's not actually malicious, but if you could compress it in some way that doesn't make chrome think so, it might be worth doing because as it stands Chrome won't let it download.

VBKsmCH.png

Edit: Those looking to get around this issue may disable the setting in chrome here, under Advanced settings.

3re3wVd.png

ohohdave

You can go to Chrome's download management pane and select to download the specific file without turning any security setting off btw.

moop1167

This breaks the lighting:
0x02506405 (your bits from Crysis)
2014-05-29_00002qvuje.jpg

vs.

0x02400405 (Payday: The Heist, Grand Ages: Rome, Aion, Grand Ages: Rome(Demo), Warframe)
2014-05-29_00003fkumq.jpg

Notice how the aobve image has broken white balance/HDR and everything is washed out. Particularly notice how the ground unifies to a flat white where the sun hits it (basically looks like LDR lighting) and how the ambient occlusion is so washed out that it barely shows up.

It's not just you man - same shit happens to me. The official SLI bits give me the weird slowdowns like looking down the Majula well but the other one just make everything super bright. Really annoying.

It's also not just downsampling in GeDoSaTo, but even downsampling through the drivers - at least for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Omg yes I am so damn thirsty for a basic PPAA to be captured with the raw 4k+ image and Durante has delivered. Time to go test it on a Lego game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Let me know if it works, I only tested it in 2 games.

This is weird, I seem to be having some issues with Beta 6. Lego Marvel doesn't start up properly if Gedosato is running. I hear the sound, but it never becomes an actual window. If I deactivate Gedosato Steam says that I exit the game. Alpha 4 works fine with the game. Injustice (UE3) just crashes if I try to start it with Beta 6 and it works fine with Alpha 4.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This is weird, I seem to be having some issues with Beta 6. Lego Marvel doesn't start up properly if Gedosato is running. I hear the sound, but it never becomes an actual window. If I deactivate Gedosato Steam says that I exit the game. Alpha 4 works fine with the game. Injustice (UE3) just crashes if I try to start it with Beta 6 and it works fine with Alpha 4.

I just tested too, and I'm having the same issue with Lego Marvel Super Heros when it worked perfectly with previous versions.

Fake before posting edit: Actually, I think "Force Borderless Fullscreen" is the culprit. Try disabling it.

Edit 2: Here's proof I got it working. 5120x2880 with Ultra SMAA on top. I did it at a time where I wasn't moving so that the motion blur wouldn't affect it.

Echoplx

I had the same issue with Lego LOTR, disabling borderless windowed mode fixed it.

Darbon

Neo Member
Just updated to the latest version and unfortunately the SSAO blackness is still there.
In my first post I mentioned the Alpha 3's AO worked but it was actually the Alpha 2 that worked. I retested Alpha 3 and it turns out toggling the SSAO on and off didn't actually do anything. For the latest version I've also tried switching between sharp and gaussian but it still turned out black.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey Durante, a quick question. Any plans to implement user post.fx files, similar to how you do specific game config files?

Currently to choose your post processing we enter "durante" and to choose asmodeans we enter "asmodean", would there be a way to do what you do with game executables and apply it to the post.fx?

As an example, I want to turn up the saturation on LEGO Marvel, I would create a post.fx file named "post_LEGO.fx" then in the config file for LEGO I would type in "LEGO" for my post processing type.

Any thoughts?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just tested too, and I'm having the same issue with Lego Marvel Super Heros when it worked perfectly with previous versions.

Fake before posting edit: Actually, I think "Force Borderless Fullscreen" is the culprit. Try disabling it.

Edit 2: Here's proof I got it working. 5120x2880 with Ultra SMAA on top. I did it at a time where I wasn't moving so that the motion blur wouldn't affect it.

Ah good catch. I forgot that was on by default since I had disabled it in the previous revisions a while ago. That would have taken me forever to figure out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

My shots of Dead Space and Lego Marvel had similar results to your example which honestly made me believe it wasn't being captured in the raw screenshot resolution captures. FXAA/SMAA should have much better results when downsampled afterwards to 1080p than the shots I had. I took this shot at 4K in Dead Space 3 with the in-game SMAA option and there is literally no aliasing post downsample:

13951758800_85c0545a3f_o_d.png

Durante

There's clearly something wrong with that Lego shot, yeah. There are edges SMAA should absolutely catch, which are completely unprocessed.

About the per-game postprocessing shaders: that could be done rather easily, using a similar system as for the config files. So you could just create a [gamename] subfolder in assets and place a post.fx file (or [whatever].fx really] there to override the respective default.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
There's clearly something wrong with that Lego shot, yeah. There are edges SMAA should absolutely catch, which are completely unprocessed.

About the per-game postprocessing shaders: that could be done rather easily, using a similar system as for the config files. So you could just create a [gamename] subfolder in assets and place a post.fx file (or [whatever].fx really] there to override the respective default.

I don't know if could be done means planned to be done, but if it's the latter, then great! Super looking forward to it!

Also, I just tested the SMAA without DoF, and AA totally isn't being applied, even though it's set to SMAA at 4 and it's definitely causing a performance hit.

I tried it again with FXAA and still no AA applied. Then I tested it without using it's own special LEGOMARVEL folder and just using the generic GeDoSaTo.ini file, and again, definitely no AA being applied.

Here's a cropped example of the aliasing thats in the image.

76rYZaA.png

It's the same for SMAA, FXAA, and SMAA using the generic profile, so I assume it'll be that way for the rest. I'll test at lower quality levels of AA, but I'm guessing it probably still won't be applied.

So yeah, there's absolutely a performance hit, but it's definitely not being applied to the image.

Edit: And double checked, it's definitely being applied in game - just not being captured by the full size screenshot key.

Vuze

Thanks for the great update Durante! Really should sub this thread, only got to know bout the new release through PCGamers twitter.

Sadly, Age of Empires III CE will not work with GeDoSaTo (Beta 1 at least). I can select 4k downsampling, and highlight menus, but mouse clicks don't work. A shame!

Love the new update btw, Durante. Great little tool here. Still messing around with all my Steam games to see what I get working or not.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Sadly, Age of Empires III CE will not work with GeDoSaTo (Beta 1 at least). I can select 4k downsampling, and highlight menus, but mouse clicks don't work. A shame!

Love the new update btw, Durante. Great little tool here. Still messing around with all my Steam games to see what I get working or not.

There are several options in the configuration file for the mouse, try playing with those to see if you can get one to work with it.

Code:
#######################################################################################
# Mouse settings
# you may have to play around with these a bit to get mouse input working correctly
# while downsampling in some games

# Modify the mouse position reported by "GetCursorPos" when downsampling
modifyGetCursorPos false

# Modify the mouse position set by "SetCursorPos" when downsampling
modifySetCursorPos false

# Intercept the WindowProc callback of the game and adjust mouse messages when downsampling
interceptWindowProc false

# Adjust the mouse position reported in peeked Windows messages when downsampling
adjustMessagePt false

There are several options in the configuration file for the mouse, try playing with those to see if you can get one to work with it.

Code:
#######################################################################################
# Mouse settings
# you may have to play around with these a bit to get mouse input working correctly

modifyGetCursorPos false

modifySetCursorPos false

# Intercept the WindowProc callback of the game and adjust mouse messages when downsampling

# Adjust the mouse position reported in peeked Windows messages when downsampling
adjustMessagePt false

I set them to True/False and other combinations. With Get and SetCursorPos to true, I got the mouse cursor to appear, clicking gave visual feedback of a click, but nothing happened. I may try again later.

Still a 4k RTS would be nice.

BONKERS

This doesn't work with 64-bit programs right?

Or does it? I can't remembah

Edit: After going back to his blog and looking. DX9/ex 32-bit only.

Bummer! Wanted to try and see if I could run Murdered Soul Suspect at 4k on my 570 with decent framerates (is DX11/x64)

BONKERS

No, though 64 bit support should be a lot easier to implement than DX11. (But I don't think there are many DX9 64 bit games)

Yeah, not many DX9/x64 games. I think the only one I can remember was Crysis 1 and wasn't officially supported IIRC.

x64 I think is going to be more helpful to DX11 games since most x64 ones are DX11 these days. (Strider, Murdered Soul Suspect,Daylight, others that I can't remember)
Shame it'll be difficult for you. But I bet you could do it! :D

elfinke

I of course know it's not actually malicious, but if you could compress it in some way that doesn't make chrome think so, it might be worth doing because as it stands Chrome won't let it download.

This is the GeDoSaTo release with the hidden bitmining code in it, I bet.

Thanks, Durante, this is really great stuff.

Thorgal

Has anyone found a solution yet for the mouse being stuck in a small square on the screen when rendering at very high resolutions (8K) ?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Has anyone found a solution yet for the mouse being stuck in a small square on the screen when rendering at very high resolutions (8K) ?

That happens for some games, not all, and play around with these settings if you want to try and find one that works. No guarantee that it will work, but those options are your best bet to find out.

Code:
# Mouse settings

modifyGetCursorPos false

modifySetCursorPos false

adjustMessagePt false

Sanjay

Amazing app just found out about this today.

I got Dota working but the inputs for the mouse are off, help needed please.

BPoole

GeDoSaTo has been acting strange for my lately. The only game I can get it to work with is Dark Souls 2, despite being able to use it in various games in previous versions.

I had played DmC at 4k before, but now when I try to launch it with GeDoSaTo on I get an error message when I launch that says " your video card does not support alpha blending with floating point render targets (D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F), which is required to run this game. Exiting..."

When I try Mirror's Edge, I get the error "Failed to create DXT Texture. This game requires DXT support. If you have manually disabled it, please re-enable it and try again."

I had it working with both of these games before, but don't know whats the issue now.

For reference, my video card is an R9 290.

Amazing app just found out about this today.

I got Dota working but the inputs for the mouse are off, help needed please.

That's going to happen in practically every RTS when you downsample, the mouse just becomes smaller and more difficult to handle.

In Dota, the only worthwhile aa is SMAA or FXAA, because any other driver-forced aa just messes up the particle effects.

It's only worth downsampling in Dota if you want to take good-looking screenshots.

Super Muffin

Neo Member
I've been trying to get Syndicate to run with GeDoSaTo, but the game launches with a black screen and goes unresponsive.

Anybody have an idea what the problem might be?

e:
Actually everything I've tried (Syndicate, Borderlands, and Far Cry 2) immediately goes unresponsive with GeDoSaTo. They're all listed under perfect on the compatibility list.

I have a gtx 780m, so I figure it might be a problem with mobile gpu's.

oxidax

I've been trying to get Syndicate to run with GeDoSaTo, but the game launches with a black screen and goes unresponsive.

Anybody have an idea what the problem might be?

e:
Actually everything I've tried (Syndicate, Borderlands, and Far Cry 2) immediately goes unresponsive with GeDoSaTo. They're all listed under perfect on the compatibility list.

I have a gtx 780m, so I figure it might be a problem with mobile gpu's.

Same here. So far only DmC has worked for me. Everything else marked as perfect is actually not working on my end.

=(

Sanjay

That's going to happen in practically every RTS when you downsample, the mouse just becomes smaller and more difficult to handle.

In Dota, the only worthwhile aa is SMAA or FXAA, because any other driver-forced aa just messes up the particle effects.

It's only worth downsampling in Dota if you want to take good-looking screenshots.

Oh I mean like off by miles, like good 6 inches off.

Teeth

I've tried getting Darksiders 2 to work but having no luck. It tries to launch then just goes to black screen. Can't even alt+tab out of it, have to kill it in Task Manager.

I've tried it with borderless fullscreen off, on both Alpha 4 and Beta 6. Neither works :(

Has anyone else gotten Darksiders 2 working? It says it's supposed to work perfectly in the compatibility doc.

Top Bottom