• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Sarcasm

So this works awesome with Valkyria Chronicles except when you are trying to stream.

Any way to get this working with streaming?

Can someone help me?

I can't get the game to run full screen on my TV. It works perfectly fine on my PC monitor, but when I switch displays to my Bravia, it looks like this

i7A3s8BNkLdf3.png

I have forceBorderlessFullscreen set to "true" and I have the game set to launch in full screen mode, but I tried setting it back to the default "false" and it still doesn't work. The only way the game will launch full screen is if I disable Gedosato entirely.

One3rd

Can't quite figure out how to make a new post-processing profile.
For an individual game? Just copy post.fx into the game specific folder and that will be used instead of the default one. When viewing the post.fx settings in GeDoSaTo you can select the "Profile" button at the bottom to see some examples of game specific ones.

sfried

Durante, is there a way to make GeDoSaTo work for Elite: Dangerous? It might be better for my system renderwise since SMAA supersampling at 2.0 takes its toll on framerate, but the sharpness of it on fonts can't be denied. (Also usefull since spotting small dots moving on the screen is a big part of Elite's gameplay.)

Parsnip

Durante, is there a way to make GeDoSaTo work for Elite: Dangerous? It might be better for my system renderwise since SMAA supersampling at 2.0 takes its toll on framerate, but the sharpness of it on fonts can't be denied. (Also usefull since spotting small dots moving on the screen is a big part of Elite's gameplay.)

Elite Dangerous is DX11, GeDo only works on DX9 for the moment.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I have one query, for which I have been scratching my head from a long time now.

What multiplier is ideal to downsample from? (except 2 x width&height, which would be 4K)

Edit
Multiplier with recurring_decimals or non_recurring_decimals or non_recurring_decimals_and_multiplier_of_2 ?

Dinjoralo

Is there any way to make downscaling work with Street Fighter 4? It hooks just fine, and it displays the resolution options, but for some reason it just upscales from 1080p, then downsamples from that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is there any way to make downscaling work with Street Fighter 4? It hooks just fine, and it displays the resolution options, but for some reason it just upscales from 1080p, then downsamples from that.

Nope. It's been like that and it's a bummer. Doesn't work with DSR either.

BONKERS

Yurp. If you have an AMD card then you are basically SOL aside from MSAA or if you have a higher resolution monitor. It's strange that no one noticed this when SFIV first came out since it's present in the first version of the game too.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yurp. If you have an AMD card then you are basically SOL aside from MSAA or if you have a higher resolution monitor. It's strange that no one noticed this when SFIV first came out since it's present in the first version of the game too.

It seems like it was from a time where people weren't really messing with downsampling too much, and those who did weren't necessarily familiar enough to be able to tell the difference.

Sarcasm

Warning...stupid question incoming.

Do I need to select profile for games? Like click on edit settings and use drop down menu to select game? Than launch said game.

Miker

Warning...stupid question incoming.

Do I need to select profile for games? Like click on edit settings and use drop down menu to select game? Than launch said game.

I don't think so. Make sure the game's exe name is added to your user whitelist, and it should work.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anybody gotten Outland to work? I can select higher resolutions, but the game flickers in and out.

I decided to check it out because of your post.

Here's what I found to work

Code:
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 5120x2880@120

Of course, replace with whatever resolution you'd like.

Then, go to
Code:
%AppData%\Roaming\Housemarque\Outland
and open the settings config.

Set the resolution in the settings config to match your render resolution, and you should be golden.

One problem (I've only checked the literal first in game screen though).

It looks like the backgrounds are all rendered at whatever their native res is and stretched upward, and only the character models are being rendered in high res. It looks like most of the backgrounds are basically pre-rendered.

Example:
First is 5120x2880, second is 1920x1080

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Where does this code go? Just somewhere in the game's .ini?
Code:
clearRenderResolutions

Yeah, throw that in the games GeDoSaTo.ini file and you should be golden. That was all I needed.

Also, interestingly, this flicking issue doesn't seem to be a GeDoSaTo specific bug. Same thing happens with DSR.

Miker

Yeah, throw that in the games GeDoSaTo.ini file and you should be golden. That was all I needed.

Also, interestingly, this flicking issue doesn't seem to be a GeDoSaTo specific bug. Same thing happens with DSR.

I just did all that, and it still doesn't work. The game is rendering at 1080p, and GeDoSaTo reports that I'm not downsampling, but the options menu says I'm at 4K. Weird. If I go back to 1080p and back to 4K via the options menu, nothing changes, as if 1080p and 4K are the same.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just did all that, and it still doesn't work. The game is rendering at 1080p, and GeDoSaTo reports that I'm not downsampling, but the options menu says I'm at 4K. Weird. If I go back to 1080p and back to 4K via the options menu, nothing changes, as if 1080p and 4K are the same.

OH crap. Duh. Sorry, I forgot the most important part.

forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true in GeDoSaTo.ini for Outland

This ensures that it launches at the higher resolution, and GeDoSaTo shows that it's rendering at higher res. Don't change the res once you're in game or else it'll go back to the flickering until you restart it.

Miker

OH crap. Duh. Sorry, I forgot the most important part.

forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true in GeDoSaTo.ini for Outland

This ensures that it launches at the higher resolution, and GeDoSaTo shows that it's rendering at higher res. Don't change the res once you're in game or else it'll go back to the flickering until you restart it.

Thanks, that works! I don't think the backgrounds look all that different through being blown up and downsampled, so I think I'll keep it at 4K.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks, that works! I don't think the backgrounds look all that different through being blown up and downsampled, so I think I'll keep it at 4K.

Yeah, definitely better to downsample simply for the things that ARE 3D models. You could probably even push it beyond 4K.

wihio

Just tried to get Silent Hunter 3 running with GeDoSaTo without any luck. SH3 does not have options to switch the resolution, but someone created a patch that adds a d3d9.dll and some config info that allows you to set higher resolutions. Something tells me GeDoSaTo could hook in and allow downsampling since the patch allows for arbitrary resolutions.

Anyone have any ideas? I admit I am a GeDoSaTo newb, but I went through each compatibility setting and toggled it... Each time, the game crashes following the intro videos.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just tried to get Silent Hunter 3 running with GeDoSaTo without any luck. SH3 does not have options to switch the resolution, but someone created a patch that adds a d3d9.dll and some config info that allows you to set higher resolutions. Something tells me GeDoSaTo could hook in and allow downsampling since the patch allows for arbitrary resolutions.

Anyone have any ideas? I admit I am a GeDoSaTo newb, but I went through each compatibility setting and toggled it... Each time, the game crashes following the intro videos.

If it uses it's own d3d9.dll you'll almost certainly need to enable "interceptOnlySystemDlls" in your GeDoSaTo.ini file for the game.

wihio

If it uses it's own d3d9.dll you'll almost certainly need to enable "interceptOnlySystemDlls" in your GeDoSaTo.ini file for the game.

well the game actually starts now and I can view GeDoSaTo's status in game, however it now says NOT DOWNSAMPLING. I will continue my efforts. Thanks for the hint!

edit: went through a bunch more settings, couldn't get it to downsample. Then I thought I should change the render resolution in the Resolution Fix for the game to the resolution I want to downsample from. Now back to the same crashes. I shall not give up so easily!

Sanctuary

I've been having this issue since October.

Might be too late for you, but I just figured out what was causing this problem. It seems like you can't have any driver level custom resolutions stored. At least for me anyway. I had to remove all custom resolutions, even though they were all unchecked so that games would ignore them. After completely removing the custom resolutions, this issue disappeared.

Might be too late for you, but I just figured out what was causing this problem. It seems like you can't have any driver level custom resolutions stored. At least for me anyway. I had to remove all custom resolutions, even though they were all unchecked so that games would ignore them. After completely removing the custom resolutions, this issue disappeared.

Ah, okay, DSR counts then too, because while I don't have any self made custom resolutions, I do have DSR and all its multipliers enabled by default.

BONKERS

It seems like it was from a time where people weren't really messing with downsampling too much, and those who did weren't necessarily familiar enough to be able to tell the difference.

Sure sure, but resolutions beyond 1920x1080 were still out there. 1200p 1600p 1440p,etc

Hmmm, okay, so wacky question: anyone have an idea why enabling the Lottes CRT shader on a game might take 30+ seconds? At first I assumed it was just crashing but then I discovered it'll actually turn on fine (and then run smoothly) if I wait it out. Of course if I modify the settings and try to reload it'll take this long again.

I can't get Gedosato to work on Two Worlds II.
I've tried adding the game to the whitelist manually just like Venetica, but still can't connect. Is it because the game is DX10? There are two .exe files of the game, the default shortcut is the DX10 one.
The game is amazing, totally underrated and under appreciated.

I used Gedosato for the first time with Dark Souls 2 and I am mighty impressed so far.

Injecting custom resolutions worked fine but weirdly only two of the five I edited appeared in the game? After that I edited the overrideWidth/Heigth for one resolution and a third appeared as well.

Is it possible to add multiple overrideResolutions in the ini so that all my custom ones show?

Apart from that I have a weird stutter problem in DS2 :/
Every 10-15 seconds the game pauses for one second. It is so very annoying. My FPS is between 25-50 so I have no clue why the stutter happens.
I disabled vsync and yet still.

Another thing is that I can't cycle through scaling methods in-game. I have bilinear set and would like to see differences in-game without having to restart the game.

And at last I am surprised that in Dark Souls 2 I cannot disable the HUD. I really loved that feature in DSfix while playing Dark Souls 1 to take screenshots.

Thanks Durante for this tool. Super handy.

teiresias

Since Nvidia seems to continue to have problems getting DSR working over HDMI connections going through an AV Receiver I think I'm going to start using this instead so I can get on more current drivers. Might try it when I reinstall Skyrim (though I may just not supersample that at all so I can mod it out).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I used Gedosato for the first time with Dark Souls 2 and I am mighty impressed so far.

Injecting custom resolutions worked fine but weirdly only two of the five I edited appeared in the game? After that I edited the overrideWidth/Heigth for one resolution and a third appeared as well.

Is it possible to add multiple overrideResolutions in the ini so that all my custom ones show?

Apart from that I have a weird stutter problem in DS2 :/
Every 10-15 seconds the game pauses for one second. It is so very annoying. My FPS is between 25-50 so I have no clue why the stutter happens.
I disabled vsync and yet still.

Another thing is that I can't cycle through scaling methods in-game. I have bilinear set and would like to see differences in-game without having to restart the game.

And at last I am surprised that in Dark Souls 2 I cannot disable the HUD. I really loved that feature in DSfix while playing Dark Souls 1 to take screenshots.

Thanks Durante for this tool. Super handy.

For resolutions, just add a grip of em to your GeDoSaTo_User.ini file.

Ex: this is how my GeDoSaTo_User.ini file starts out (keep in mind I do have a 120hz monitor)

Code:
renderResolution 2560x1080@60
renderResolution 2560x1440@60
renderResolution 2880x1620@60
renderResolution 2880x2160@60
renderResolution 3200x1800@60
renderResolution 3840x1620@60
renderResolution 3840x2160@60
renderResolution 3840x2880@60
renderResolution 5120x2160@60
renderResolution 5120x2880@60
renderResolution 5760x1080@60
renderResolution 7680x4320@60

renderResolution 1280x720@120
renderResolution 2560x1080@120
renderResolution 2560x1440@120
renderResolution 2880x1620@120
renderResolution 2880x2160@120
renderResolution 3200x1800@120
renderResolution 3840x1620@120
renderResolution 3840x2160@120
renderResolution 3840x2880@120
renderResolution 5120x2160@120
renderResolution 5760x2470@120
renderResolution 5760x3240@120
renderResolution 5760x1080@120
renderResolution 6720x3780@120
renderResolution 7680x4320@120

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
# 0 = main monitor resolution
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 120

I get that little pause as well. I think it has to do with the game loading in phantoms because that is when it always seems to happen. Try going offline and see if it still happens. It can also happen during transitions between areas.

For your last two issues, go edit the GeDoSaToKeys_User.ini file. You've gotta enable and set all the keybinds which you want.

For resolutions, just add a grip of em to your GeDoSaTo_User.ini file.

Ex: this is how my GeDoSaTo_User.ini file starts out (keep in mind I do have a 120hz monitor)

I get that little pause as well. I think it has to do with the game loading in phantoms because that is when it always seems to happen. Try going offline and see if it still happens. It can also happen during transitions between areas.

For your last two issues, go edit the GeDoSaToKeys_User.ini file. You've gotta enable and set all the keybinds which you want.
Ok, thanks man! I didn't use/make a user ini tbh but just editied the original Gedosato.ini. Maybe that caused troubles.

I just made a user ini and pasted my custom resolution in.
Code:
renderResolution 600x338@60
renderResolution 700x394@60
renderResolution 800x450@60
renderResolution 900x506@60
renderResolution 1000x563@60

About the disableHUD. I did actually enable the keybind in Gedosato. But when I pressed the button (numpad 0 for me) I got the message "disabling HUD not supported by this plugin" ?!

I will make a user ini for keybinds as well and try it out. Maybe changing the default inis are causing my problems.

Thank you very much for your help Alo!

EDIT: Something else which I realized. When setting forceBorderlessFullscreen true my game in borderless but not in being upscaled to my monitor resolution but instead stays at the lower rendering resolution. It's not a big deal since I get fullscreen when setting it to false. Just wanted to mention.

Parsnip

About the disableHUD. I did actually enable the keybind in Gedosato. But when I pressed the button (numpad 0 for me) I got the message "disabling HUD not supported by this plugin" ?!

Indeed, disabling hud doesn't work with the DkS2 plugin. It only works with inject hash type hud codes. DkS2 does however support the HuddlessScreenshot so use that.

Indeed, disabling hud doesn't work with the DkS2 plugin. It only works with inject hash type hud codes. DkS2 does however support the HuddlessScreenshot so use that.
Oh, cool! I really enjoyed to disable HUD for taking screens in DS1.
I tried playing with HUD set up to fade away after some time but I didn't like that.

Gonna use that feature for sure. Thanks Parsnip!

[Asmodean]

[Asmodean];152849093 said:
If anyone's using my effects, I've updated it.

You can also see changes here.

You can grab it here

Finished working on the asmodean post-processing for the moment. Lots of improvements, updating to 1.65, & sent a PR. You can get it above if you don't want to wait, etc.

Comparison below. Using demo(emphasized for screenshot) settings. You can basically change any aspect of it that you want, via the config settings.
Save and view in fullscreen for a better comparison.

Toggled off <- effects have been improved since these shots
16595661151_535684c2c3_o.png

Toggled on
16596219552_f7de5f3abc_o.png

Edit: The ps hash I'm using:
Code:
injectPSHash 07ec4726

In case anyone wanted it.

Gedosato can put game in bordeless windowed mode... but can it put them in regular windowed mode aswell?

I'm asking because there are games unwilling to work in windowed mode (DXWnd also refuses because of a steam not found error while steam is clearly running, not on C though)

[Asmodean]

Well, after more digging. You can disregard below lol. Apparently it's the "ultimate edition" of the game. source. Didn't see this info, before posting, and it only happened to start crashing when I started Gedo lol, coincidence apparently.

You'd think this would warrant a patch, post release of that edition, but no, of course not >.>

I stuck previous text into some quote blocks below;
Said I'd try get into the Dragon Age games, as I've bypassed them mostly, until now. Bought DA: Origins there earlier, the Ultimate Edition, if that makes any difference.

Got the Origin version because I guessed if I'd gotten the Steam one, that I'd be forced to run two bloody DRM applications to run the game, seeing as it's Origin-locked regardless of where you get it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has played this with Gedo? I'm greeted with a crash(app has stopped responding) everytime that I exit the game, with Gedo enabled.

I'm not downsampling, just native 1440p with post-processing. So I've got all downsample-related options, etc disabled. I was hoping anyone had encountered it at some stage before, and found a solution?.
The win event log doesn't show anything really useful, just your usual application error, with d3d9 being the faulting module.

It's working per sé. I managed to get a ps hash for it too, so everything seems to be sorted and ready to go, but the crashing on exit is a bit annoying. Especially because I've only been in-game playing to tweak/test stuff so far. To get it ready for my playthrough. So it could end up crashing mid-game also. Remains to be seen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Say Durante, how hard is OpenGL. Cuz.... Homeworld Remastered is begging for higher resolutions :(

i say this with 0 hope of this happening in the near future or ever

Parsnip

I tested this yesterday with Republique Remastered in hopes of hiding the gui, but it seemed like framebuffer is upside down before the gui was added. I wonder how common that is. I guess I could still take hudless screens and then flip them on photoshop or whatever, but that amused me a little.

[Asmodean];152999171 said:
Finished working on the asmodean post-processing for the moment. Lots of improvements, updating to 1.65, & sent a PR. You can get it above if you don't want to wait, etc.

The only issue I have with your post processing is that, like all post processing, it can increase banding. But there's no way to deal with that banding.

I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but is it possible for you to add some kind of dither shader?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The only issue I have with your post processing is that, like all post processing, it can increase banding. But there's no way to deal with that banding.

I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but is it possible for you to add some kind of dither shader?

SweetFx has a dither shader that I'm fairly certain I ported over to GeDo or someone else did already? Let me check.

Yeah it's totally in there.

Also, it looks like there are actually 6 different dithering patterns in the code even though the comments only list 2.

Say Durante, how hard is OpenGL. Cuz.... Homeworld Remastered is begging for higher resolutions :(

i say this with 0 hope of this happening in the near future or ever

What graphics card do you have? If you have anything semi-new in either nvidia or AMD you can do driver based down sampling.

For nvidia open "nvidia control panel" > manage 3d settings > DSR factors and enable all the options you want > DSR - smoothness around 20%

Then in game pick the resolution you want.

I'm trying to run this with RE5, but I'm not seeing any option to change the resolution beyond 1920x1080 after installing the program. Am I missing a step?

Top Bottom