• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomex

Masterpiece Optimus Prime version II just came out at Toys R Us for $119.99...was able to order one online about a week or two ago, and it just got delivered earlier this week:

ZlBtg.jpg

TRU also has Masterpiece Thundercracker available as well at some places.

As for websites...yeah, www.tfw2005.com is where I usually go.

Thanks bro! I'm definitely checking sites more often now that I've been told. Gonna look at reviews for that Optimus now, but I guess that Grimlock was "My One" and i missed out. Oh well.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well... man.

This is one VERY EXPENSIVE month for me. Wii U + launch games. Persona 4 Golden. several 3DS and Vita games aside. Christmas presents (one lucky person is receiving a $180 set of replica blade runner whiskey glasses -- they are quite nice), and now... amiami wants money to ship me my Figma link.

Well, I couldn't refuse! Should ship on the 21st... excited.

Rootbeer

Banned
I can't wait to get it to pair with my Figma Samus but I think i'm more excited for Figma Pit (and Figma dark Pit, if they end up making him, have yet to see sculpts)

Oh, and we're supposed to be getting some Figma Marvel stuff... that should be very interesting.

dankir

Has anybody got the Hot Toys Iron Monger figure yet?

Have him on pre-order at BBTS but debating on spending 475 on him :S

My Link ships soon also. I'm probably going to skip the Figma Pit. I hope they do more Nintendo Characters though. A Figma Shiek would be great.

NEO0MJ

Has anybody got the Hot Toys Iron Monger figure yet?

Have him on pre-order at BBTS but debating on spending 475 on him :S

I had him on preorder but dropped it when I felt I was spending too much this year. And it seems that it was quietly delayed until an unknown date. While sites seem to have it on late November in such cases sites just delay it to the next month until they finally get it.

I preordered Link from Amiami months ago, still no email. :(

Also, are Mewtwo preorders open again? Sale status says preorders and the add to cart button isn't grayed out.

meijiko

I preordered Link from Amiami months ago, still no email. :(

Also, are Mewtwo preorders open again? Sale status says preorders and the add to cart button isn't grayed out.

Just wait a bit. I think AmiAmi payment notifications started going out yesterday, and their system probably has a lot to go through before they get to everyone's payment.

And yes, if it doesn't say "sold out" on the page, that means you can order it.

Just wait a bit. I think AmiAmi payment notifications started going out yesterday, and their system probably has a lot to go through before they get to everyone's payment.

And yes, if it doesn't say "sold out" on the page, that means you can order it.
Excellent, I'll probably place my order tonight. Has Charizard gone up for preorder yet? I searched and I couldn't find it. Even tried the Japanese name Lizardon.

EYEL1NER

So I got this in and am pretty bummed out. I have read that Revoltech, Figurarts, and Play Arts can be very fragile, so I assumed that a Figma would be as well. I babied it while taking it out of the package and attaching the 'shredded blouse' bust, ripped skirt, and a different face. Then, while trying to attach it to the stand, I broke the peg on the top of the stand off into the 90-degree angled adapter that attaches to her back. Snapped off flat with the peg stuck in the adapter (can't think of a better name for that piece. i guess a normal stand would insert right in, but because of her hair there is a right angle joint that snaps on to the stand).

After googling a bit at work (and being limited as most sites are blocked), I have read many people say that Figma stands aren't sold by Max Factory and because different figures have different stands, the best option is to look for someone selling a broken figure or buy a new one. I did read about the Figma DI: Stage stands that are sold and they look pretty cool. But because they came out a couple years ago, they aren't too easy to find and when I can find the base model, it is a bit out of my price range.

I will try super glue and see if that does anything, but I am not going to hold my breath. One thing I did see though was people recommending the Bandai stands as replacements and saying that they are really good. Specifically these I think:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AH6EVY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UPIPRQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does anyone have experience with these or similar stands?
What do people prefer when it comes to a stand with a peg that inserts into the figure or something like those, where there are grips that hold and support the figure?
Do any of you know of anything similar that is cheap or have another recommendation?
Do people like those style of stands that typically hold onto the figures waist? I know I always hated them when using them with action figures and other toys as a child, since they would be visible, but none I ever used were this hi-tech; they were typically made of metal.

It seems like they are highly recommended for replacing Figma stands, along with the DI: Stages (which do look cool with a couple figures on one stage in poses but I don't think I will do anything that in-depth with them ever), but I figured I would get some recommendations/suggestions from you all.

SUPARSTARX

Those bandai stands look good. I've seen them in store.

I've also snapped one of these Figma stands in the past on the peg. It's pretty crappy! I haven't gotten around to replacing one of them cuz it has waist clamp stand while some have the peg inserts.

LosDaddie

Banned
Masterpiece Optimus Prime version II just came out at Toys R Us for $119.99...was able to order one online about a week or two ago, and it just got delivered earlier this week:

ZlBtg.jpg

TRU also has Masterpiece Thundercracker available as well at some places.

As for websites...yeah, www.tfw2005.com is where I usually go.

Nice. I recently got the Comemorative G1 Optimus from BBTS for $70. I'm happy with it. It's the only Transformer I want, though. Never had it as a kid.

I think some people are just way into the collecting part rather than the Marvel part. Or it's a big enough part that it maters a ton. I'm sure articulation helps, but I put my figures up to display not to play with them and Select is perfect for that. Given that it's just 5 dollars more, it's certainly an odd choice, but I do think it's the collecting. Like, they only put out a few Marvel Selects a year. Rhino's the only release next month, I think. And Nightcrawler, Barb Hulk, and Venom's the only one for January outside of Disney exclusives. I think they're releasing more these days as the series takes off

I think part of it is that people don't have nearby comic book shops to buy from, and some people don't like buying online when it comes to figures. I'm far more likely to impulse buy in my comic book shop than on Amazon though I did preorder Rhino Select on Amazon. I'm hoping Venom shows up. I put in an order at my shop, but I don't know if they base orders off those, or if it's just like a waiting list

Marvel-Select.jpg

I GOT to have that Venom because I know he will sell out. If they just make a Mysterio, I'll have all the Spidey characters that I want.

You're probably right about the comic book store point you made. I have one about 5min from my house, and I've bought my daughter Marvel Select She-Hulk, DC Collectible Wonder Woman, and I have the Marvel Select Storm preordered for her.

I have the Act5 version of these stands, however what I'm using them for isn't quite adequate, but I'll report nonetheless. I bought them for the Play Arts Kai Mass Effect Shepard and Garrus, and the stands are much too small; the claw part doesn't quite hug the waist well enough and the figures are much heavier than the stands, so they could still fall over anyway. Mind you, these figures are like 11" tall and I'm pretty sure the stands are made for figures like, half that size. I'm in the process of replacing but the stands themselves seem good for smaller figures. The claw part doesn't pinch together all the way; when fully closed, it's still separated.

OK, so I take back what I said about the claw pieces not being able to touch, they can, they just don't on my ME3 figs which is why I thought that. I didn't take the time to give her a super cool pose or anything, just wanted to test the stand, really.

w1Cpml.jpg

e8xjRl.jpg

UhEZGl.jpg

BJ2Uul.jpg

The Act5 stand works really well, I could shake the table and the fig would still be standing. The Act5 ones that I have are meant for larger figs, so the smaller ones EYEL1NER posted are probably a much better fit; you can see the arm is bent pretty low to support the figure and the base size is overkill for her.

However, it CANNOT hold her up in the air the way the Figma base can as seen below in the photos; when I tried this on the Act5 base, she just slumped over and I had to reassemble the one piece of the arm, actually.

aefuil.jpg

LeY2al.jpg

UFQM0l.jpg

0Ud3Kl.jpg

Yay Figma Link! I can't wait to get mine (it is a Christmas present for someone).
This has been the most expensive month in my entire life.

SUPARSTARX

Yah bingo on those stands.

I take back what I mentioned for the Gundam ones. I just remembered they have specific scale stands and I had one a while back. Those stands usually just clamp onto the lower body.

EYEL1NER

Thanks for the input, Gryphter and SSX. I think I'll grab one of the Bandai stands tonight then; should only take a week to get here or so. The reviews for them say that they come with three stands actually, so I guess I will have backups for when I inevitably break another.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got my Optimus Prime at Toys R Us today. Would like to find Grimlock too. So far the only other MP I've seen is Thundercracker, which I don't care about.

Thanks for the input, Gryphter and SSX. I think I'll grab one of the Bandai stands tonight then; should only take a week to get here or so. The reviews for them say that they come with three stands actually, so I guess I will have backups for when I inevitably break another.
Yep, mine came 3 to the pack, cost me $15 on amazon. Some assembly required

johnsmith

remember me
What's everyone's favourite figure?
Probably Momohime. I will finally own this once the rerelease ships this month. I've loved it since before I started collecting figures, but the aftermarket prices were always ridiculous. When I saw that she was being rereleased I flipped out.
figyura_review_momohime_06.jpg

SUPARSTARX

My favorite figure so far is 1/4 scale T800. It's probably going to slowly shift to The Dark Knight.

6984792224_181b2b4dc0_b.jpg

8200730433_bce3ca611b_z.jpg

As for the anime stuff... I think it's a tie between MegaHouse POP Boa Hancock and Nami (time skip). The timeskip Nico Robin looks good too, that's a close second with Shirahoshi.

8204217561_0c663faa23_b.jpg

My only real "anime" figure collections mostly the One Piece, Bishoujos (Tekken, DC), and a few Persona stuff. There isn't enough good stuff made for Persona. All of the Bishoujo's are equally pretty rad thanks to Shunya Yamashita's gorgeous pin up art.

Gryphter where did you get that megaman in front of your monitor?
If I'm not mistaken that should be the $10-$15 blind boxes.

Yep, I was at some anime con and they had them for I think $8. I bought one blind and got lucky with Air Man. Didn't want to take anymore chances, so I went on ebay and paid like $2 extra for ones that were already opened so you know exactly which one you're getting, which is how I got Cut Man and that model of regular Mega Man; there's 2 variations.

Link has been paid for!

I was considering grabbing Yukiko as well, but if I buy her I can't afford Persona 4 Golden. But if I get Persona 4 Golden, I'm gonna want Yukiko :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom