• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Anyone who bought the Zero Suit Samus figure.. would you say it is worth the $120 price tag? Thinking about maybe getting it.

Metroid-Other-M-18-Samus-Aran-Zero-Suit-Ver-PVC-Figure-10654280-5.jpeg

Not sure how much 120 is to you for a figure (it's a lot for me) but I got it at probably around 80 from AmiAmi pre-order and shipping combined with the Samus figma and it really is a lovely build. I love the pose and the expression on her face, no regrets on the figure at all.

cajunator

Banned
I'm currently waiting for mine, she looks awesome though!

You ordered her too? Good choice.
She is adorable.
Her foot is screwed into the base solidly and the bunny on her hip is magnetic.
Also you might notice the base has fuzz whereas she was advertised with a plain flat base.
I like it better. The figure is well detailed and very stable.
Be sure to post yours here when she arrives.

You ordered her too? Good choice.
She is adorable.
Her foot is screwed into the base solidly and the bunny on her hip is magnetic.
Also you might notice the base has fuzz whereas she was advertised with a plain flat base.
I like it better. The figure is well detailed and very stable.
Be sure to post yours here when she arrives.

I ordered mine from anime island, so hopefully get her within a couple of weeks?

This is the only other Charlotte figure I have.
FIG-MOE-4593_01.jpg

cajunator

Banned
I ordered mine from anime island, so hopefully get her within a couple of weeks?

This is the only other Charlotte figure I have.
FIG-MOE-4593_01.jpg

I really want that one.
Might have to spend more on ebay to get it.
Lots of fake shit out there.
The worst I encountered was the Saber Lily.
I ended up spending 250 on that beauty making sure it wasnt the chinese ripoff one which even that goes for 150 sometimes.
I think she got a rerelease but I got the figure so Im happy.
The next challenge is finding a GSC Holo figure that doesnt cost $500.

meijiko

Ugh, it looks like all of Alter's releases are delayed until January, and likely beyond. Rumor speaks of QC issues. Of those I was getting Izaya, Nodoka, Ohana, and Momohime, three of which should have been released already, and two of which are rereleases that shouldn't have taken much work at all. I'm not complaining too much, considering the holidays and everything, but I'm not looking forward to the month they actually start releasing things.

At least Ultimate Madoka should get released next month... We hope...

I really want that one.
Might have to spend more on ebay to get it.
Lots of fake shit out there.
The worst I encountered was the Saber Lily.
I ended up spending 250 on that beauty making sure it wasnt the chinese ripoff one which even that goes for 150 sometimes.
I think she got a rerelease but I got the figure so Im happy.
The next challenge is finding a GSC Holo figure that doesnt cost $500.

The Alter Charlotte is being rereleased, you should be able to find her for a decent price :)
Do you have a my figure collection account?
Mines here - http://myfigurecollection.net/collection/Dabookerman

cajunator

Banned
Ugh, it looks like all of Alter's releases are delayed until January, and likely beyond. Rumor speaks of QC issues. Of those I was getting Izaya, Nodoka, Ohana, and Momohime, three of which should have been released already, and two of which are rereleases that shouldn't have taken much work at all. I'm not complaining too much, considering the holidays and everything, but I'm not looking forward to the month they actually start releasing things.

At least Ultimate Madoka should get released next month... We hope...

Luckily I got Momohime the first time.
Had a feeling she would be super popular.
It really is a gorgeous figurine.
Got Ultimate Madoka preordered too so I really hope she releases on time.
I have the 5 madoka magica gsc figures already.
Lovely set, if expensive.
Then I also preordered Princess of the Crystal from Penguin Drum as well as Kuroyukihime from Accel World.
These are all large super detailed figures and I really cant wait to have them.
But soooooo many delays.

cajunator

Banned
The Alter Charlotte is being rereleased, you should be able to find her for a decent price :)
Do you have a my figure collection account?
Mines here - http://myfigurecollection.net/collection/Dabookerman

Not yet but Ill try to remember to set one up.
I have a little over 30 figures.
Some of them are extremely old and difficult to find and Im honestly not sure of some of the identities.
One of them seems to be the Gainax bunnygirl from Otaku no Video and two are from an old Ah my Goddess collection.
Last year I spent a fortune on figures though, Probably 2k.

johnsmith

remember me
hO82h.jpg

By Phat Company, I think this is my favorite Atelier figure so far. Hopefully she gets a cool base like Totori.

Bummed about the Momohime delay, but I probably already spent too much this month anyway.

I had a couple NECA figures and I was really unimpressed with their articulation. Do they exclusively have the Portal merchandising license? Any chance some other company might make a Chell?

SUPARSTARX

hO82h.jpg

By Phat Company, I think this is my favorite Atelier figure so far. Hopefully she gets a cool base like Totori.

Bummed about the Momohime delay, but I probably already spent too much this month anyway.

How much stuff do you have in your entire collection? I wanna seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

johnsmith

remember me
How much stuff do you have in your entire collection? I wanna seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/balbanesbeoulve. Your turn.

Way too much for someone that's only been collecting a year. Hopefully next year I will buy less since as a new collector I had quite a big wishlist backlog, most of which I worked through this year. Minus the ones that cost way too much.

Just began my DC bishoujo collection today. Wonder Woman is definitely one of my favorite bishoujos. She just got rereleased in the US, so if anybody wants to grab her, now is the time.
jb0RpF4jx5ExSL.JPG

SUPARSTARX

http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/balbanesbeoulve. Your turn.

Way too much for someone that's only been collecting a year. Hopefully next year I will buy less since as a new collector I had quite a big wishlist backlog, most of which I worked through this year. Minus the ones that cost way too much.

Just began my DC bishoujo collection today. Wonder Woman is definitely one of my favorite bishoujos. She just got rereleased in the US, so if anybody wants to grab her, now is the time.
jb0RpF4jx5ExSL.JPG

Mine. http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/cnovax

I have a lot of the Figuarts ZERO stuff on my shelf lol. I'm staring at it now and I am having regrets on some of the purchases. I want to shrink my collection down to some Hot Toys lol

Giolon

I really like the Alisa figure, and the Lili they just showed is pretty cute too.

Lili looks so weird and nothing like the Shunya art. I think it's b/c her bangs are too poofy and her eyes are too far apart. It's a big disappointment for me.

NEO0MJ

I had a couple NECA figures and I was really unimpressed with their articulation. Do they exclusively have the Portal merchandising license? Any chance some other company might make a Chell?

I don't think they have exclusivity on it, as 3A made a replica portal gun and are now working on P-Body and Atlas.

I know that feel, brah. when I first started I was buying like crazy. Now I rarely buy more than 3 figures a year.

Hye guys I been thinking of starting to pick up the Batman Play Arts Kai figures but while looking at some of the amazon reviews I noticed some quailty control issues. I was wondering if there's anyone here who buys Play Arts stuff and if you think they are worth the money???

NEO0MJ

Hye guys I been thinking of starting to pick up the Batman Play Arts Kai figures but while looking at some of the amazon reviews I noticed some quailty control issues. I was wondering if there's anyone here who buys Play Arts stuff and if you think they are worth the money???

A lot of people are pretty negative towards them. I only have Vile from that line and while I think he looks pretty cool the figure has several flaws and in my opinion is not really worth the asking price.

Giolon

JAINA SOLO IS HERE!

Once my package showed up, I wondered why the shipping box was so freaking huge. Well, it turns out, Jaina's not packaged like typical Bishoujos. She's packaged like regular star Wars figures from Kotobukiya (which are similar to the Sideshow and Gentle Giant boxes too), except she's got a preview window:

Notice it doesn't even say Bishoujo on the box? It does however in the description on the back, to explain to people why she looks all anime-like.

Best Bishoujo ever? I think maybe!

wetwired

Finally made a decision on the TMNT figures (was tossing up between the new playmates and the old NECA ones) I ended up getting some 2nd hand NECA ones, should arrive this week, I am excite.

Also can anyone recommend a decent Batgirl\woman figure with a playability (rather than a display piece) for my daughter?

JAINA SOLO IS HERE!

Once my package showed up, I wondered why the shipping box was so freaking huge. Well, it turns out, Jaina's not packaged like typical Bishoujos. She's packaged like regular star Wars figures from Kotobukiya (which are similar to the Sideshow and Gentle Giant boxes too), except she's got a preview window:

Notice it doesn't even say Bishoujo on the box? It does however in the description on the back, to explain to people why she looks all anime-like.

Best Bishoujo ever? I think maybe!
I am not a SW EU fan at all but I absolutely love Shunya's design for Jaina...and your pics of the final product look really great.

I'm gonna have to get this, yo.

It's also the most 'wife-friendly' bishoujo figure I can get too :lol

johnsmith

remember me
I am not a SW EU fan at all but I absolutely love Shunya's design for Jaina...and your pics of the final product look really great.

I'm gonna have to get this, yo.

It's also the most 'wife-friendly' bishoujo figure I can get too :lol

Bishoujo Shepard would probably be acceptable too.

ibbb7CWdaGCzWk.jpg

A lot of people are pretty negative towards them. I only have Vile from that line and while I think he looks pretty cool the figure has several flaws and in my opinion is not really worth the asking price.
Vile is a D-Arts figure from Bandai and is about 5" tall. Play Arts Kai figures are from Square Enix and are usually about 9 inches tall. Different series, different companies.

To answer the original question...
I own about a dozen Play Arts Kai figures and while I really enjoy them for the most part, I can't deny that the paint jobs can be a hit or miss. I fortunately have the luxury of being able to buy them in person so I can compare paintjobs, but most aren't so lucky. They range from absolutely phenomenal (Assassin's Creed 2 Ezio) to having too much "shadow" paint that can come off looking like smudges (see Uncharted 3 Nathan Drake's forehead).

On the plus side, the articulation on these figures are very good, however, exposed joints can be an eyesore on certain figures, mostly characters with a lot of exposed skin. The joints blend in a lot better on less fleshy designs such as Batman, Mass Effect and Halo figures. I really dig the size since I personally find the standard 5-6" figures to be too small for my tastes, and not all characters get the 12" Hot Toys treatment which I couldn't consistently afford anyways.

They have a huge variety of licenses and chances are that a Play Arts Kai figure of any given character is probably the best money can buy. I own the regular Arkham Asylum Batman and compared to other offerings of the same design by DC Direct or Mattel, Play Arts Kai wins hands down. They're not perfect, but nothing is and I'm happy with mine.

Ken

I shouldn't buy that Horizon Tomo figure from Max Factory but so hard to say no.

I don't even watch the anime.

Thanks for the replys guys, I think I'll take a chance on a Play Arts Harley Quinn since she goes for less than 40 on amazon and see how I like her. Thanks to this thread ill also pick up that bishouju Harley Quinn cause it looks amazin

Well, just decided to take the plunge on my three Figma Link pre-orders from AmiAmi. Saw that they are sold out on BBTS and the going rate on eBay is insane. Guess I'll flip two and get mine for free. Had no idea these were already scarce.

Just made my first figure on Shapeways cant wait to see how it turns out.

Also can anyone recommend a decent Batgirl\woman figure with a playability (rather than a display piece) for my daughter?
DCUC Batgirls from Mattel
Batgirl1.jpg

microman Batgirl is my personal favorite if she isn't too young.
has like 10 sets of hands, articulated hair, articulated cape and alot of gadgets other Batman figures don't.

I know there are some portrait of pirate and Persona fans in here. www.nakamatoys.com has 25% off with code NAKAMA on Mega Man and Mega House featured items right now.

Instead of making a double post figured I'd edit. Todays the last day for 25% off!

EYEL1NER

Thanks for the comments on the Bandai stands after I asked. I bought the Act4 (since the Act 5 looked a bit too big, being designed for mecha and all). It is perfect and my Kanu looks great now. I think I prefer it to the Max Factory Figma stand. The only thing the Figma stand had over the Bandai stand is that it was specifically designed to go in at an angle due to her hair being so long. But the Bandai stand is working fine and I will probably purchase more when I build up a decent Figma collection.

SUPARSTARX

I just got a Zoro for $98 shipped www.thegrandlineshop.com

Nakama deal looks good too.

I sold off Hot Toys Nick Fury and Hawkeye. I think I will just refocus my collection on The Dark Knight and leave it at that.

I've got Avengers Captain America if anybody is interested in him. Retail plus shipping to wherever in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom