• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaiku

Another question about amiami orders...
Since they charge in Yen, and they don't charge until they ship, does that mean I can end up paying more?

johnsmith

remember me
Since they charge in Yen, and they don't charge until they ship, does that mean I can end up paying more?

You are at the mercy of exchange rates. Maybe Paypal would let you add funds in yen to your account, I've never tried it. I just take my chances with whatever the exchange rate is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Absolutely. They cite that several times on their site.

That's why when using paypal, if that's what you use, you always to add a little bit extra.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.gamingheads.com/newsletters/0540569cf39d0ee1ada21d70ca198e780b.html

G6Wtq.jpg

WHY ARE THE FIGURINES I WANT SO FREAKING EXPENSIVE!?

Got my link, again...can't thank Johnsmith enough for recommending amiami. The only child in me would have pouted and paid eBay prices had this not happened.

sca2511

Which Mechs are really into? The SRC line are some pretty great stuff at rather affordable prices.

So, did you officially drop buying mechas? So sad. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one buying mechas here.
All people seem to buy are girl statues, I hate them! Prouncing about in their frilly dresses and tight spandex :mad:

I'm joking with ya'll, I can appreciate a good figure.

Well, I wanted Evangelion (not sure if that counts as mecha) before, still do actually. I also like Gundam, Zone of the Enders, and Macross from the top of my head. I still want to buy mechas, just not sure where to look or sites to follow.

injurai

Banned
i used to have a figure of Luke Skywalker from episode V where he is in his Hoth outfit. Not sure if anyone could it for me? he was the poseible kind with actual cloth clothing.

Beth Cyra

Well, I wanted Evangelion (not sure if that counts as mecha) before, still do actually. I also like Gundam, Zone of the Enders, and Macross from the top of my head. I still want to buy mechas, just not sure where to look or sites to follow.

Well it really depends on size.

For some really high quality and decently priced figures Robot Damashii cover a huge variety of Gundam series as well as Eva's.

NEO0MJ

It really depends on what you want. Small plastic figures? Large die-cast ones? Model kits? How important is articulation for you? And how much are you willing to spend. Sometimes certain series fall more into one category.

You can check amiami's robot section to take a look at what fits you. Evangilion mechas are pretty varied.

sca2511

Sorry I didn't reference the size. I guess around the same size as the DC/Marvel Bishoujos (7+ inches?) Probably be willing to spend around 100+. Willing to spend more if it's amazing. I'm open to painting and kits, I just have no experience doing so. So I guess I'd prefer if it's already painted/built.

I'll check out Robot Damashii and Amiami's robot section to look things over. Thanks

edit: are there any brands that I should be looking out for in terms of quality/price, other than Robot Damashii?

Luke is always best in his Bespin gear. I had the old 6-inch toy of him that way. It seems to be the best iteration of him, where he's fighting Vader for the first time.

NEO0MJ

edit: are there any brands that I should be looking out for in terms of quality/price, other than Robot Damashii?

There's the revoltech line, though I don't like them much. Articulate as they are I hate the paint/build quality of the figures. Plus, there are pretty small. There's the HCM Pro figures, though I have no idea how good/bad they are. If you wanted a plastic version go for the robot damashii, it's also much cheaper than the bellow two, at least on online stores/e-bay.
There is also the SOC version of the figures, which are very nice with plenty of die-cast, if a bit stiff. You might also not like the metallic colors chosen if you wanted it to be anime accurate. There is also the SPEC versions of the mechas. They have a decent amount of die-cast and are very detailed and articulate. Plus, they have a lot of accessories.

There's also the RAH version, which looks to be the best version ever made of Eva 01, but it's really, really expensive.

Kletian

For Gundam, anything Bandai is your best bet, as been said the Robot Damashii line is friggin aces. And Bandai's model kits are equally great.

For ZoE, keep your ear to the ground with a company called SENTINEL and their Rio:bot line. They've already done Canti and Gurren Lagann (I have GL on the way and he's gonna be great!) but prototypes for Anubis and Jehuty have been shown several times.

http://www.toyark.com/news/attach/2/6/0/2/RIOBOT-Zone-Of-Enders_1348721573.jpg

Macross is always the hard one since they're usually very pricey. And they do a LOT of japanese only web exclusives that you'll need to track down a Japanese middleman for. Usually Yokattaweb.jp is a good place to start.

For all other Mechs it really depends what you like as far as who does it best. Super Robot Chogokins are great, but how great they are tend to vary from figure to figure. Express Brave Might Gaine is absolutely amazing, same with the Daizyujin (Power Rangers Megazord), but Gear Fighter DenDo and GaoGaiGar are great but average.

I can't ever recommend Revoltechs anymore as they've been eclipsed by just about every other line these days. So unfun fiddley.

Also Bandai's S.H. MonsterArts line has teased us with some Eva Angels at their last Tamashii Features convention.

I have almost all the Soul of Chogokin Evas (skipped on the Yellow Unit-00) from 2003-2004, and I love em, but they're kind of outdated now. If it were 2007-2008 I would highly recommend the Soul of Chogokin Spec Evas, but they're long sold out now. Great figures, disappointed that the line dissolved since they only ever did Unit-01 and Unit-00 from the Rebuild movie series.

The Robot Damashii figures look really nice, but they're a bit small for my tastes. I would definitely pick them over Revoltechs though. As stated before me, Medicom's Real Action Heroes Evas look like the ultimate Eva figures if you're willing to spend that much.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...ywords=medicom$pagemax=100$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...ywords=medicom$pagemax=100$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1

For Macross, I think Bandai exclusively has the license for Frontier and does some really nice DX Chogokin figures. Stick to the "Renewal" series if you're looking at these since they're much more accurate and have better proportions than their first attempts. Kleitian is right though, they do a lot of web exclusives for things like Super parts and Armor parts.

For every other Macross series you'll want to look at Yamato's stuff. They're pricey, but gorgeous. I haven't really collected Macross for a long time and I only have some of their 1/48 scale VF-1s from several years ago, which still look fantastic if I might add. Yamato stuff used to be plagued with problems despite their beauty, but that was a long time ago. Perhaps they've upped their game. Definitely visit the Macross World Forums for all things Macross.

EYEL1NER

Just got the items I mentioned yesterday, one of them being one of the things I have wanted most. It wasn't something that is too expensive; apparently there was a reissue (? not sure what term like 'reprint' is used with figure models) this year that brought prices back down under $100, but I missed out since I had just gotten to Greenland and didn't have internet at that time.
Anyway, it is a Sengoku Basara Masamune Date Revoltech. The other item I grabbed is a Yukimura Sanada Revoltech. So now I own two Revoltechs, my first two, and they are the two that I think look the most absolute cool in their entire line. Looks like if the guy won't make an effort to combine shipping, then it will be $50 for each of them. I was actually looking at another Date that ends in 9 days that would have been $65 or so shipped, so I got him cheaper and a Yukimura to go with him.

I enjoyed what I have played of the Sengoku Basara series but I haven't played much of it or seen the anime. One of the reasons I wanted these is that it is as close as I will ever probably get to having awesome Musou figures. I don't know why Koei doesn't license out Dynasty and Samurai Warriors, but it seems like it would be a hit to me. Lots of RotTK and Sengoku Musou fans and they have a huge library of characters. Man...my kingdom for a sweet Hanzo, Honda, Lu Bu, and Diaochan figure.

And with my three purchases yesterday and these two today, I am done for a little while. At least until I go home to the states in February and get that Morrigan at that comic shop anyway. If anyone cares, I might take some pictures of all the stuff I have picked up since getting to Thule when these things arrive (who knows when that will be though. APO shipping around Xmas time? Ugh...).

EDIT: Just got an invoice and he combined shipping. A Date and Sanada for $70 shipped. I am ecstatic right now! I've been wanting them (mainly Date) since the first time I saw them and they were going for $90 each on eBay at the time. Then I start looking at them recently to discover that the price on Sanada went up and that Date got rereleased for like $35 and had sold out of all of the shops.
I just wish I had woken up in time to see what the same seller's Dante DMC Revoltech went for. I got off work this morning and accidentally fell asleep and woke up right before the auctions I bid on ended, but right after the Dante ended. People were actually going at it for that one though; some people really wanted him. There was also a Black Lagoon figure that looked cool, but it had ended too.

NEO0MJ

I want this...bad.

Yamato Toys Macross VF-4G Lightning III

But, I'm holding out to hopefully see it come in Hikaru's Skull Squadron scheme like in Flashback 2012 (the white one on top):

I don't know about waiting, it might never happen. I was really hoping for the Milia version of the VF-17S but it never happened =(

I don't know about waiting, it might never happen. I was really hoping for the Milia version of the VF-17S but it never happened =(
Yamato's got the M7 license and they just started with the Black Diamond Force VF-17s...they have a bunch of VF-19 and VF-22 variants from M7 done already, it's just a matter of time before they eventually get to a red Millia VF-17...even more so than Hikaru's VF-4 since they don't have the Flashback licence (hopefully they do get it!).

Got a Makise Kurisu from someone off MFC. However one of the hair strand tips have snapped off :( does anyone have any tips for repairing PVCs?

Here's a pic of her anyway, she's lovely.
6BtkO.jpg

My bunny Charlotte is on her way :D

cajunator

Banned
Got a Makise Kurisu from someone off MFC. However one of the hair strand tips have snapped off :( does anyone have any tips for repairing PVCs?

Here's a pic of her anyway, she's lovely.
6BtkO.jpg

My bunny Charlotte is on her way :D

Oh yeah, that was you getting bunnygirl Charles.
She's on my desk at home. My god, so cute. so unbelievably CUTE.
There are four bunnies with the figure. One attaches to her hip via magnet, two crowd her bottom leg, and one snaps into a peg on her high heel.

I just started Steins;Gate and Kurisu is VERY lovely indeed.
I think I need a Mayuri figure more. TUTURU~

There are four bunnies with the figure. One attaches to her hip via magnet, two crowd her bottom leg, and one snaps into a peg on her high heel.

Can't wait for Charlotte :D

I have this from steins gate I've got ordered -
10199583a11.jpg

Yuzuriha Inori from Guilty Crown. The release is from Goodsmile.

Aye, it just looked nice, and it was 30% off on plamoya. Only thing is, she's really small. She's 1/8, but I'd be more inclined to say she's 1/9 or even 10.

Im still holding out hope for an Okabe and Mayuri Figma when the movie comes out.
Okabe was hinted at last year but hasn't been mentioned lately.
tumblr_mciuctsJ1y1qk85rjo1_500.jpg

Wish I had skill at Figma customization.

LadyRiven

My Link Figma is also still lost in SAL-land. SAL always gets SUPER slow around December, so I'm trying not to worry too much about him. :)

Yesterday I received volume 19 of the Pandora Hearts manga that came with a chibi Oz figure. It's quite cute and I will have to take a picture soon!

EYEL1NER

Well I know I said I was done until Feb, but I just scored a pretty good deal. My wallet is hurting right now though and if I hadn't bought these, I was going to buy a Morrigan figure finally.
Anyway, got these:
41QoEjLWDyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Spent way too much on this shit this month. I'm really glad that someone recently got into my bank account and caused me to have to change my passwords, because it means my wife does not know them yet. What she doesn't know, won't hurt her.

I'm worried about that first figure though. It's cold-cast and could break in shipment I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom