• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.
This figure is excruciatingly tempting..

10211084a2.jpg

Hey whats cooler Hot Toys 89 Batman or The Dark Knight Rises one. I eventually want to get one Keaton Batman and one Bale one but I can't decide if I should jump on the 89 one or wait for a Batman Returns one down the road

I skipped on 89 for Returns,
like the Returns suit so much more.
considering 89 only needs small modifications, id say its a certainty it will me made soon.

NEO0MJ

Also obligatory "what the fuck 3A" since I don't think it's been mentioned in 3 pages or so.

Actually, I just mentioned it several posts above yours =p

But yeah, it's driving me crazy. If we don't get an answer by the end of next week I think I'll go mad. It's been half a year since the original date!

EYEL1NER

So did anyone preorder that Hot Toys Black Widow? That thing looks amazing. I hope someone did, so we can see some pics in here. I want to see it next to a helmet-less Iron Man.

It makes me feel like a creeper to want a miniature ScarJo in my room, but it looks great.
I won't be getting it though, since I have made up my mind on what figure/doll like that I will get. Whenever I decide to take the plunge and get an expensive, hyper-realistic figure ala the Hot Toys or Enterbay lines, my first (and probably only, due to the prices most go for) will be the Legend of the First: Return of Chen Zhen Donnie Yen figure. That thing is godly and I must have it one of these days.
Just watched the movie recently too and it wasn't bad. Not as good as most Yen movies, but the negative hype led me to believe it would be worse.

SUPARSTARX

So did anyone preorder that Hot Toys Black Widow? That thing looks amazing. I hope someone did, so we can see some pics in here. I want to see it next to a helmet-less Iron Man.

It makes me feel like a creeper to want a miniature ScarJo in my room, but it looks great.
I won't be getting it though, since I have made up my mind on what figure/doll like that I will get. Whenever I decide to take the plunge and get an expensive, hyper-realistic figure ala the Hot Toys or Enterbay lines, my first (and probably only, due to the prices most go for) will be the Legend of the First: Return of Chen Zhen Donnie Yen figure. That thing is godly and I must have it one of these days.
Just watched the movie recently too and it wasn't bad. Not as good as most Yen movies, but the negative hype led me to believe it would be worse.

I canceled mine for now. I'll probably put an order back in later on next month.

SUPARSTARX

I skipped on 89 for Returns,
like the Returns suit so much more.
considering 89 only needs small modifications, id say its a certainty it will me made soon.

Yeah, I kind of wished I waited for BR to come out but having 89 Bats/Joker as a pair is too tempting.

7114241129_805c8c4d3d_b.jpg

6991921767_74e4576bdf_b.jpg

Pretty happy with all of the Batman sets I have so far for the most part minus the Toys Fair Bruce Wayne which has messy ankles and can't really stand on his own properly.

dankir

Hot Toys pickups from the past month. My Avengers are partially assembled so far, everything has been delayed to hell so could be a while before we get Agent Coulson or Chautari as the last Avengers toys no?

IMG_20121217_022400_zpsd2465723.jpg

IMG_20121218_004336_zpsa3873f92.jpg

IMG_20121217_022511_zps1485284a.jpg

SUPARSTARX

ALright now I don't feel too bad about having so much 1/6 stuff. HAHA

Show me the Iron Monger pics. *Jizz*

I need a Jim Gordon kit bash.

BadWolf

Is anyone getting the Play Arts Raiden figure for MGR: Revengeannce? Is this company's stuff usually good?

Any trustworthy Canadian stores selling it? Or maybe US stores that ship to Canada?

NEO0MJ

I sooo want to see that Iron Monger. I was this close to buying him, but felt that wth shipping he would be too expensive for me.

Play Arts ranges from 'Okay' to terrible.

YES! I was going to post undead Shepard but you got me covered! I want to find a small helmet to put over his face. I forgot about the Tomb Raider Collector's Edition coming with a figure, I thought it was a Figma so I was about to put an order in, but then I realized it's Play Arts Kai. Noooooooo thank you, I'll stick with the standard ed.

lol, rule of thumb for Play Arts seems to be Japanese franchise = good, Western franchise = terrible. I saw a pretty decent Garrus once, though.

Mine's still on preorder with Sideshow so the delay doesn't really bother me as I'll easily have money for her. The Mark VII is the one I'm kinda worried about regarding shipping, since it's my first IM figure but a delay can only help anyways lol.

I have Coulson on order through my LCS so I'll grab him when I can.

YES! I was going to post undead Shepard but you got me covered! I want to find a small helmet to put over his face. I forgot about the Tomb Raider Collector's Edition coming with a figure, I thought it was a Figma so I was about to put an order in, but then I realized it's Play Arts Kai. Noooooooo thank you, I'll stick with the standard ed.

ATM Lara is looking great, just have to see how the final paintjob turns out.

and for people needing to know what to avoid
Really bad Play Arts
IMG_7634-550x.jpg

Worst Play Art
SHEVA___Play_Arts_I_by_akira_devilman_fudo.jpg
but I guess you could thank them for actually including a zombie in the line for Chris to fight.

Setsuna

in the 5 minutes i have been searching those websites i have realized this is a very dangerous hobby to get into

good thing i have 2 closets in my room

Also regarding the Play-Arts figures I find is that faces are often hit or miss...

My only Kai ones are Roy Mustang & Alphonse Elric from FMA: Brotherhood - and Roy's face is spot on with the anime/manga but it helps that he has simple features. I think both also benefit from being SE property anyways.

I have regular Play-Arts for Gabrath & Balthier for FFXII, Cloud for FFVII: AC & CC, couple of Soras & a Roxas - all of them have good faces as well.

Guess if it's a non-SE property, they tend to have more trouble with them though Vanquish & MGS turned out pretty great.

Still pissed at the dozens of Clouds,Soras and other KH & FF figures but they have never made a single Leon version of Squall.

Same... I'm amused that I technically still need a Wisdom form Sora, but have all the other variants lol (including regular). Also wish they made more Dissida figures as I want Kain. The dragoon armor is so dope looking.

C-Jo

I think the Play-Arts Ezio is fantastic. Joints aside, the level of detail is great.

The MGR Raiden will probably be pretty good. The more mechanical/robotic the subject matter, the less things like joints will stand out. Case in point, Adam Jensen's robot arms look totally fine.

I haven't like any play arts figs. Even when they look ok, they are ruined by awful joints
Do you like posable figures to begin with? If not, then it's a moot point. Most of the time visible joints are simply unavoidable. Even the spectacular Figma Link has some ugly elbow joints and skinny ankles. I love frequently changing to the poses on my figures so having a high level of articulation is important to me.

This is kinda why I think this thread should be split into separate statue and action figure threads. It would be like if people that only collected statues started mingling with 3 3/4" action figure collectors. Different groups value different things in their collectibles.

I think the Play-Arts Ezio is fantastic. Joints aside, the level of detail is great.

The MGR Raiden will probably be pretty good. The more mechanical/robotic the subject matter, the less things like joints will stand out. Case in point, Adam Jensen's robot arms look totally fine.
Agreed on both counts.

Do you like posable figures to begin with? If not, then it's a moot point. Most of the time visible joints are simply unavoidable. Even the spectacular Figma Link has some ugly elbow joints and skinny ankles. I love frequently changing to the poses on my figures so having a high level of articulation is important to me.

This is kinda why I think this thread should be split into separate statue and action figure threads. It would be like if people that only collected statues started mingling with 3 3/4" action figure collectors. Different groups value different things in their collectibles.

Agreed on both counts.

I would love an action figure thread

johnsmith

remember me
Just ordered the Yu, Chie, and Rise graphigs. Yukiko and Yosuke were sold out. I hope they come back in stock once they're actually released.
VIlNC.jpg
dRbEt.jpg

TaE6d.jpg

Also ordered the DQ1 hero, even though he's my least favorite of the first 3 games, but for 600 yen why not.
47tIL.jpg

SUPARSTARX

If there's one thing I've learned from the Play Arts Kai stuff.. their paint quality is inconsistent for sure. Bad quality control issues.

Sushigod7

Holy shit at those Play Arts, I hope to god Raiden turns out like the prototypes. At least half of his face is covered so they can't botch the paint on it. Here's to hoping! Well see in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom