• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new arrival today, and she freaking rocks :D

8337949267_d4f39e8813_c.jpg
8337948981_ff8109eef9_c.jpg

Stunning legs
8339009562_d1d98ec706_c.jpg

My attempt at a fancy pants shot -
8337975515_416f886eef_b.jpg

DO WANT...but it looks like I'll have to go through Mandarake or something later on to get her. *sigh*

Sushigod7

Please do! Artbooks are my main collecting passion, even more so than figures. I'll be happy to contribute to such a thread. :)

Let's do this! I'm in I actually just ordered a new Disney Archive Series book from Amazon. Going to start working on filling out my Studio Ghibli artbooks now.

LiK

i'm in, i just reorganized my artbooks and would like to share. photobooks will be kept private tho. :3

EYEL1NER

I'm trying to think of what artbooks I have back home. I was on a bit of an artbook kick before leaving home years ago.
The only one I can remember is this really cool Gungrave book that I had my heart set on for a long time and managed to buy right before the anime store in town closed down.

BadWolf

Can you guys recommend a statue with good craftsmanship? Like good anatomy/body and a nice face/head. Aside from being a decoration I'd also like it to double as reference material for drawing purposes.

I'd prefer it to be something not too much in the way of kinkiness. I really like that max factory Mai for example but it looks way too kinky from pics.

cajunator

Banned
Can you guys recommend a statue with good craftsmanship? Like good anatomy/body and a nice face/head. Aside from being a decoration I'd also like it to double as reference material for drawing purposes.

I'd prefer it to be something not too much in the way of kinkiness. I really like that max factory Mai for example but it looks way too kinky from pics.

What about one of the Metroid Zero Suit Samus figures?

I want to buy this Bayonetta figure but the only people selling it are from either China or Hong Kong on ebay, which is a huge red flag for me. I think I'll just wait and pre order from AMIAMI cause I think they are doing a rerelease of the figure.

bayonetta.jpg

I want to buy this Bayonetta figure but the only people selling it are from either China or Hong Kong on ebay, which is a huge red flag for me. I think I'll just wait and pre order from AMIAMI cause I think they are doing a rerelease of the figure.

bayonetta.jpg

I'm guessing you haven't found the gray elephant yet :p.

LiK

bayonetta.jpg

Yup, most likely bootlegs from those places.

cajunator

Banned

bayonetta.jpg

Hong Kong might not be bootleg. Ive gotten stuff from there. But just read the descriptions extremely carefully. the bootleggers do not hide the fact that its fake. they call it a replica right in the description.

Hong Kong might not be bootleg. Ive gotten stuff from there. But just read the descriptions extremely carefully. the bootleggers do not hide the fact that its fake. they call it a replica right in the description.

Are you serious? I don't think I've seen any eBay/other online descriptions where sellers state that they're selling bootlegs. Then again, I usually only buy from well-known retailers.

LiK

Are you serious? I don't think I've seen any eBay/other online descriptions where sellers state that they're selling bootlegs. Then again, I usually only buy from well-known retailers.

Yea, I've been burned by a HK seller for a Nendoroid. Learned my lesson. The only HK sellers that should be trusted is if they have super high positive ratings. I used to buy from a guy who sold Medicon stuff. But these days, too many HK sellers sell shitty bootlegs. I also noticed HK sellers who sell bootlegs in their site for super cheap prices get a lot of positive feedback from clueless buyers.

cajunator

Banned

Yeah they do specifically say it.
Heres an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anime-Fate-...467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2d997adb

"Note: This is an independent manufactured figure at very reasonable price, NOT the original Japan version."

They straight up tell you its fake.

Yea, I've been burned by a HK seller for a Nendoroid. Learned my lesson. The only HK sellers that should be trusted is if they have super high positive ratings. I used to buy from a guy who sold Medicon stuff. But these days, too many HK sellers sell shitty bootlegs. I also noticed HK sellers who sell bootlegs in their site for super cheap prices get a lot of positive feedback from clueless buyers.

I'm pretty sure that I own one bootleg figure from the days when I was oblivious to buying figures from online retailers. I think they may have been a HK seller. All I remember was that I bought a Haruhi figure from eBay for like 12.00USD which was a portion of the price I saw it for at Anime Expo.

Aaaah. Gotcha. Hadn't been aware of that.

LiK

Yeah they do specifically say it.
Heres an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anime-Fate-...467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2d997adb

"Note: This is an independent manufactured figure at very reasonable price, NOT the original Japan version."

depends on the seller. they're not all honest.

I'm pretty sure that I own one bootleg figure from the days when I was oblivious to buying figures from online retailers. I think they may have been a HK seller. All I remember was that I bought a Haruhi figure from eBay for like 12.00USD which was a portion of the price I saw it for at Anime Expo.

i was so disgusted by the cheap bootleg i dumped it in the trash immediately and gave the guy a big fat negative.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just curious, what's the issue with bootlegs? I mean, yes - it isn't the real thing...But is the quality bad or is it just the notion of the bootleg?

LiK

Just curious, what's the issue with bootlegs? I mean, yes - it isn't the real thing...But is the quality bad or is it just the notion of the bootleg?

it depends on who makes them. for example, Hobbyfan sells prepainted bootlegs which are really high in quality. i bought quite a few statues from them based on rare/expensive garage kits and they look great.

but some bootlegs like the Nendoroid i mentioned was made from cheap soft plastic and the paint was crudely applied and sticky to the touch. the materials are just awful and even the box was a shitty reprint.

My Haruhi one is shitty. IDK about anyone else's. It basically feels like a cheap badly done figure.

The plastic feels like those Gumby figures back from the 80s.

cajunator

Banned

the quality is very bad. Lots of little plastic "tags" from the molds, bad paint jobs, incorrect part designs, cheap assembly, bad coloration, incorrect shape, incorrect poses, missing additional parts, things of that nature.

All I have to say about buying from Ebay is that personally I have had success there. I dont try to look for bargains though. you can tell where the bootleg price tiers are versus the real thing. If its 200 bucks, there is a very good chance its 100% authentic. If its 40 bucks, dont even assume its real. thats easy enough to figure out, but youd be surprised how many people try to save a buck and fall for it. Also, if the item is "preorder" then its very likely real as well, at least in my experience. I got a lovely millhiore f biscotti figure this way and it is definitely the real one (I dont think a fake was made to begin with)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Interesting - thanks for the comments! I've seen similar discussion regarding bootleg gunpla and other expensive model kits, but I never understood why it was always such a taboo subject (besides taking profit and thus incentive from the manufacturer).

johnsmith

remember me

Maybe the DC/Marvel bishoujo figures? You can get a lot of them for decent prices on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bishoujo+kotobukiya

Or maybe you should go for a cast-off figure. You can keep them fully clothed most of the time, but you can remove the clothes for reference. I have this one, based on art by Shunya Yamashita, who also does the art for the bishoujo figures. A lot of them are fully nude, but this one only strips to her underwear. mildly nsfw link http://myfigurecollection.net/picture/214295&ref=item:157
The character's name is Needa made by Good Smile Company
http://www.goodsmile.info/product/en/386/Shuraki+Trinity+Box+04+Needa.html

This figure hasn't been released yet. All the listings I saw on ebay are for preorders. Go with amiami. The cheapest one I'm seeing is for $200, so even if amiami makes you go for EMS, it'll still be cheaper than that.

Both. People that buy these things are collectors, and nobody wants a bootleg in their collection. But yeah, the quality is almost always garbage. And buying them is almost the same as pirating games.

Speaking of Orchid Seed, I kind of want the Corticarte figure from Polyphonica.
what would be my best option to find one of these?
Either pay the ridiculous prices on ebay or wait until one pops up on amiami preowned or mandarake. Try searching with the Japanese name name of the character and the company name, so Corticarte コーティカルテ and Orchid Seed オーキッドシード. I don't see any in stock at the moment, but when they do pop up its only for 4,000 yen.

BadWolf

Maybe the DC/Marvel bishoujo figures? You can get a lot of them for decent prices on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bishoujo+kotobukiya

Or maybe you should go for a cast-off figure. You can keep them fully clothed most of the time, but you can remove the clothes for reference. I have this one, based on art by Shunya Yamashita, who also does the art for the bishoujo figures. A lot of them are fully nude, but this one only strips to her underwear. mildly nsfw link http://myfigurecollection.net/picture/214295&ref=item:157
The character's name is Needa made by Good Smile Company
http://www.goodsmile.info/product/en/386/Shuraki+Trinity+Box+04+Needa.html

Damn, that's a really smart idea. I'll see what good one's I can find of the sort.

Thank you!

Hmm...if AmiAmi is doing a rerelease then I'll keep an eye on it. As far as ebay goes I agree with what's been said so far; I've dealt with HK sellers that are totally legit, but of course I exercise common sense as far as what I'm buying.

EDIT: Ok, it's a preorder still, but March is going to be tough. Maybe...

it depends on who makes them. for example, Hobbyfan sells prepainted bootlegs which are really high in quality. i bought quite a few statues from them based on rare/expensive garage kits and they look great.

but some bootlegs like the Nendoroid i mentioned was made from cheap soft plastic and the paint was crudely applied and sticky to the touch. the materials are just awful and even the box was a shitty reprint.

Yeah, I got a bootleg Nendoroid once, and I couldn't keep the damn thing together. It kept wanting to fall apart. I didn't even get a box.
Lesson learned.

Yeah, I got a bootleg Nendoroid once, and I couldn't keep the damn thing together. It kept wanting to fall apart. I didn't even get a box.
Lesson learned.

I remember the first Snow Miku nendo was especially problematic. I got a legit one through Tokyo Hunter, but it got bootlegged to hell and back.

^ Dabookerman, nice! They look kind of glossy though, judging by how thick their shadows are, I take it that's due to the camera flash? Also the stands are different here than they are in the promotional shots, I'm looking at them on amiami now and they're clear plastic in those photos.

Any chance that Katherine's belt is metal or moves independently?

I'm sure this is way too expensive and, probably not exactly what you are looking for but, just so you know it exists.

http://www.anatomytools.com/female-figures-c7.php

johnsmith

remember me
Art Spirits. I think they're a new company and it shows in their work. That Catherine pales in comparison to Max Factory's version. The Katherine is ok, if only because its pretty unlikely that another company will make one.

Anyone got a list of website you normally go on to check out some figure news etc? So far mine's only Tomopop and Plastikitty, cause I was rather shocked to see this Goku figure, was getting reissued:

So I wanted some websites I can favourite that keeps up with the news, preferably English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom