• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if you guys could help.Never bought a figurine before, so i don't know any online stores that import to the US.

I'm trying to get a Gurren lagann figurine

00_l.jpg

http://www2.gainax.co.jp/shop/index...genre=25_figure&page=2&key=&8%A1%E04=2%A1%DE0

It's supposed to have a 1/1 core drill too. For those who know this figurine, is the core drill detachable?And also any suggestions for places i can order online that ship to the US?

Oh, and i do know it's really expensive.

Edit:I should mention, the figurine itself isn't my priority, i mostly want the core drill.

Snaku

Banned
The Revoltech GL comes with a Core Drill replica, yes. The Wonderfest exclusive version came with a glowing Core Drill replica, but they only made 1000 of them.

Snaku said:
The Revoltech GL comes with a Core Drill replica, yes. The Wonderfest exclusive version came with a glowing Core Drill replica, but they only made 1000 of them.

So you know where i can order this and get it sent to the US?

give them a couple days to update the site. They have to manually update their catalogue from a 300+ page printed catalogue.

There's also some sweet Modpeada kits this month too. :D

The Take Out Bandit said:
give them a couple days to update the site. They have to manually update their catalogue from a 300+ page printed catalogue.

There's also some sweet Modpeada kits this month too. :D

Thx,dude.

Which one is it tho?The red or silver one?

demifiend

I once looked at my figure collection and was embarassed. I've got Saber and Caster from Fate Stay/Night, KOS-MOS from Xenosaga III, and Michael, Gabriel, Parvati and Varna from the Shin Megami Tensei trading figure line. Then I went to my friend's house and saw that his room looks like the aftermath of a virgin otaku's head exploding. He has more figures than he has books (unless you count manga), virtually all of half-naked (or more) high school girls.
I don't quite feel so bad about my little figure menagerie now.

AND to whoever said that male game/anime figures are almost impossible to find, I concur. They'll probably never make Gilgamesh (in his armor) from FSN and that irritates me a little.

Ronok

demifiend said:
I once looked at my figure collection and was embarassed. I've got Saber and Caster from Fate Stay/Night, KOS-MOS from Xenosaga III, and Michael, Gabriel, Parvati and Varna from the Shin Megami Tensei trading figure line. Then I went to my friend's house and saw that his room looks like the aftermath of a virgin otaku's head exploding. He has more figures than he has books (unless you count manga), virtually all of half-naked (or more) high school girls.

AND to whoever said that male game/anime figures are almost impossible to find, I concur. They'll probably never make Gilgamesh (in his armor) from FSN and that irritates me a little.

I have more figures then books as well.... Doesn't help that I only own school books though.... Oh I've got like 7 volumes of School Rumble aswell... Doesn't really count though. lol
I don't see why you would be embaressed over what you bought though. lol

Raytow

demifiend said:

Gil pimp suit> Goldie Gil, there is Lancer, Archer, Gil and Kiritsugu figures and Gil is sporting his armor, Gil and Lancer are trading figures, so they are probably hard to find by now.

Also worth noting, and if my comic order for this month is under $75; I can afford to add one of these:

MOSPEADA LEGIOSS AFC-01H BLUE ACTION MODEL (C: 1-1-3) $79.99
MOSPEADA LEGIOSS AFC-01H GREEN ACTION MODEL (C: 1-1-3) $79.99
MOSPEADA LEGIOSS AFC-01H RED ACTION MODEL $79.99
GENESIS CLIMBER VARIABLE ACTION MOSPEADA RAND (NET) $58.50

DO WANT!

However I'm afraid that if I order Rand they'll release a Yellow Dancer model which is what I really want.

Dali

Gurren Lagann
Great Impact Series
Gurren Lagann Action Figure 20cm
Part Diecast
Includes 33 drill parts & 1/1 Core Drill
Maker : Konami
Release Date : Mar 2008
Retail : 19,740 yen

Going by this. I'd say the big difference is the expensive one is diecast and bigger.

edit: :lol
The page for the less expensive GL thing says
The figure stands nearly 6' tall
To most people this is an obvious typo (the figure is 14cm: just over 5.5"), but I imagine that company is going to have its fair share of disgruntled customers. It's the "Guess Who?" debacle all over again.

Zyzyxxz

nice pictures, but I could never see myself buying models of chicks.

Big robots with big guns is where its at fo me!

srst

LuCkymoON

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
nice pictures, but I could never see myself buying models of chicks.

Big robots with big guns is where its at fo me!
I like big Robots too, I just haven't found any I really like.

srst said:
What's a good Japanese online hobby shop that can ship overseas other than Hobby Search, HLJ and HobbyWorld? Something like Ami Ami would be nice.

my latest one...
~SNIP~

Is this it?
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10064051
What is wrong with those sites...well I know whats wrong with HLJ.... :/

Apharmd

www.rainbowten.co.jp does model kits.

they use an email ordering system, but they're extremely fast if you pay via paypal. ordered in Sunday afternoon, paid at midnight, received the shipping notice at Monday 4 AM, got Gundam kits in by Thursday (lol EMS).

Adamrogo

Banned
I have the set of MGS 20th anniversary Medicom figures plus an extra Big Boss, the set of MGS 20th Kubrick figures, and a couple Kratos figures.

I would never display any of those busty anime girls in my house, where anybody could see them. Aren't you guys embarrassed of them when girls come into your room, or that your parents see that shit?

Koshiba

Adamrogo said:
I have the set of MGS 20th anniversary Medicom figures plus an extra Big Boss, the set of MGS 20th Kubrick figures, and a couple Kratos figures.

I would never display any of those busty anime girls in my house, where anybody could see them. Aren't you guys embarrassed of them when girls come into your room, or that your parents see that shit?

Well when I was younger I was afraid of my mom thinking I was a lesbian for it.. But nah, still waiting on getting my glass case so I can get my figures out of the closet though and display them. :) Then I'll take pics and post. No point right now though since Ihave no where to display them. :( Still trying to find places for my anime as well.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
man this thread is awesome, I've never really bought figures as they're so expensive but I would love t own those One Piece ones, and a few others from my fave shows - but at £40+ a pop on yesasia for those one piece models??

NO WAY!!

Do you guys seriously spend that much money on models or are they just the premium ones or something? thats like $80 each....how do you do it!!

Koshiba

kaizoku said:
man this thread is awesome, I've never really bought figures as they're so expensive but I would love t own those One Piece ones, and a few others from my fave shows - but at £40+ a pop on yesasia for those one piece models??

NO WAY!!

Do you guys seriously spend that much money on models or are they just the premium ones or something? thats like $80 each....how do you do it!!

Sometimes. Depends on the quality. Figured are also typically quite limited.~ Higher quality figure, the more expensive it's going to cost obviously.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
painey said:
A quick snap in poor lighting of my dusty Link
2389863495_60c43033e9.jpg

kiryogi said:
My latest addition! Shiki and Neku from Subarashiki, Bushido girl from Etrian Odyssey

shikineku.png

seikaibushido.png

DS-based trading figures are the jam. Are those EO guys still available anywhere? I might have to create my team in real life...

EDIT: Medic is going for 42 bucks on ebay? FUCK THAT.

Adamrogo said:

I think if you cover your room with most of the stuff posted in this thread (sans giant robots), you probably don't have many girls in your house...

Wired

kaizoku said:

I agree, they must be insane to pay that much for some nerdy statue (I paid $105 for the Motoko statue I posted on page 1)...

Ronok

kaizoku said:

NO WAY!!

It's a bitch to get hold of cheap models here in England, but, some are reasonably priced...... Really, after I came back from Japan I couldn't bring myself to buy any for a long time because I was getting ripped off so badly.

www.kidnemo.com has some decent prices though....... I wouldn't say £40 is the norm for figures in general, but, it's not too uncommon. Price varies wildly on the size, who they're made by etc. Oh and never buy offline.... :-/ That way you get even more b/s tax.

Most I paid for a model is £200 for the massive Cloud model I have. lol

srst

LuCkymoON said:
What is wrong with those sites...well I know whats wrong with HLJ.... :/

I have a feeling that there are bigger and better sites out there with hard to find stuff.

Wired said:
I agree, they must be insane to pay that much for some nerdy statue (I paid $105 for the Motoko statue I posted on page 1)...

That is one hell of a figure though. The only figure I own is the Motoko PVC figure with the long overcoat on. I'm happy with it, but I'm a bit pissed I can't find the one that you own.

Danj

I want a CC figure with changeable outfits. She has that many outfits now, I can't figure out why they haven't already done something like this.

frogg609

Anyone know where I can get the Ninja Gaiden Rachel statue? And I'd rather not have it as a kit, since I have no skill in putting these things together.

I have a Nausicaa of Valley of the Wind Ohmu model I need to take a photo of, but I want to do it outside once it greens up a little more :)

Dead

well not really...yet
Danj said:
I want a CC figure with changeable outfits. She has that many outfits now, I can't figure out why they haven't already done something like this.
Maybe after they release this :lol

007190764.jpg

AMUSIX

OK, I need help...

my wife collects these types of figures, with a general guideline being "sexy female figures". I'll post her collection soon, but I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. I found some figures I'd LOVE to get her, unfortunately, they're model kits, and there's no way in hell I'd ever be able to paint them. Are there people out there who paint kits on commission? I've tried doing searches, but keep finding military model forums and car model forums.

Basically, I'm looking for an artist who can handle doing this figure justice:
edit: linked image due to NSFW elements
second detail image, this one is work-safe...though not nearly as dramatic
FW-001_4.jpg

Also, I've glanced at homemedia4u.com (thinking of getting her that Chun Li as a joke gift) but I'm hesitant on the fact that all they sell are recasts. Are their copies quality? Is their painting service quality?
Of course, I'd far prefer to buy an original, but for so many different figures I just haven't been able to find them at any price in the past 4 months.

AMUSIX

OK, I've continued to try and research painters out there and keep running into huge swamps of military model painters. While their recreation of the Battle of Bunker Hill is stunning, I'm just not seeing people who might be able to handle the model above, let alone other similar figures.

Does anyone on GAF paint their own? Is it a hard thing to learn?

I'm worried that it's going to take so long to find a painter that the figures I'd like won't be available anymore. Then again, if I purchase them now, I'm worried they'll never get painted.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Don't think my neglected Wavebird counts as a figure though...

n4groi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom