• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono01

8460574950_6bcdc0cdde_c.jpg

Does anyone know what this figure's from?

I'm not sure if you've discovered the answer to your question, but I figured I'd answer it just in-case.

This is Shadow Wing from Aion [Manufacturer - Orchid Seed].

LiK

man, game/anime sculptors these days are like modern masters. so beautiful and detailed. they don't get enough credit for their work.

Hope so, I really like the pics I've seen of that one.

The great thing about Guyver and Big Boss is how well their designs go with these styles of figures to 'mask' the joints.

yes, that's why i was all over the Guyver figures. i can't stand blatantly visible joints. they're masterpieces.

johnsmith

remember me
So my Yamato Kneesocks arrived today. She looks so good. So much better than Alter's version. It's really no contest. I hope they do the rest of the Panty & Stocking cast.

I used a proxy service this time to order from amazon.co.jp and it went really well. I ordered it from amazon on 01/19/13, it was delivered to the proxy on 01/21/13. I got a shipping estimate and paid on 01/22. Now they didn't ship it until 01/31, and I don't know why that took so long, but I got it today, 02/11. So 24 days total, I had sal shipments in December take a full month, and 3 weeks is pretty average for me. Overall not too bad and I'd definitely use them again. The shipping + proxy fee was 2,000 yen. The shipping label says shipping was 1280 + 600 is the fee listed on their site, they round up for shipping supplies, so I'm not really going to complain for a buck or two, when they saved me so much money. The figure itself cost 4907. The total I paid was 6907 yen. For comparison, the cheapest I saw this for sale on plamoya was 6150 + 3200 yen ems shipping (they would not do sal). Amiami has her for 10,400 + shipping. So I saved about $27 bucks vs buying it at plamoya and a lot more vs buying at amiami.

Overall I'd definitely use them again. Their address is http://dv8cag.com/ if anybody wants to try them out. I'll probably use them to order the upcoming Rise and Chie Megahouse exclusives, as I'm pretty sure it'll turn out cheaper than buying them from a reseller. Anime Island already has Rise up for preorder for ¥12,560, a 50% markup.

The only complaint I have is that the packaging was kind of crap. I don't know if that's how amazon sent it, or what, but there was literally no protection. Not even a single layer of bubble wrap. The figure was fine, but if it was one of those that's prone to break, it would have been busted it up.

(not my pic)

Momohime also arrived! Perfect, as expected.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh man. This is cute, and she's on sale!. I can't start collecting nendos though (besides persona ones) as there's just too many and they're too small for the price. There were something like 50 nendos and nendo petites announced at wonfes.
http://plamoya.com/en/nendoroid-boda...e-p-52573.html

http://plamoya.com/bmz_cache/e/e83aa235f458367953473125a40b61b3.image.344x500.jpghttp://plamoya.com/bmz_cache/d/df917af5ad21704c4027faf829c349a1.image.437x500.jpghttp://plamoya.com/bmz_cache/2/2146cdb16ddcb99ebddf62bbdde88b61.image.344x500.jpg
I have that one, was my first one ever. I don't see myself collecting a lot of them, but the style does suit a lot of characters.

BadWolf

Just ordered Revoltech Lupin and Jigen, about $44 for both. Seems like a great price considering all the stuff they come with.

They seem really fun and come with a lot of optional accesories so it should fun having them pose in various scenes by my desk and just messing around.

Did a search on amiami for Revoltech and in the 4 pages of results these two were the only one's that caught my eye (aside from that new Big Boss).

EDIT: First time ordering from Hobby Link and they gave an option for Private warehouse as shipping.

Is it better to ship the items together or have them ship as they become available? Together probably saves on shipping but does it by any chance increase chances of getting hit by customs fees? I'm in Canada btw.

LiK

oh, they do. Some of those outrageous price-tags are all the credit they need.

lol, I would blame that more from the companies and licensing. I mean the sculptors themselves tend to be lesser known unless you really follow the industry.

I really screwed up by not buying as many figma samus as I could when they went up for preorder.

Good lord.
InfOTnO.png
wow, I have a second one sealed. I should take advantage of this. Should've bought a third one.

EDIT: First time ordering from Hobby Link and they gave an option for Private warehouse as shipping.

Is it better to ship the items together or have them ship as they become available? Together probably saves on shipping but does it by any chance increase chances of getting hit by customs fees? I'm in Canada btw.
It really depends if you can wait for the figures to arrive and if you want to be charge a bit more for shipping if you ship individually. If the box is particularly large I think it's more likely to be checked under customs. Thus far for me customs charges has been mainly on items described as new =S (UK here). When written as used no problems. I tend to get then to ship together as it's less hassle for me to pick up a package if I'm not in.

Rootbeer

Banned
I really screwed up by not buying as many figma samus as I could when they went up for preorder.

Good lord.
InfOTnO.png

You can't turn back time, but you *can* order multiple Figma Pits (and Dark Pits) :p Not as popular but they should have good value as well.

*hugs his figma samus and figma link*

BadWolf

It really depends if you can wait for the figures to arrive and if you want to be charge a bit more for shipping if you ship individually. If the box is particularly large I think it's more likely to be checked under customs. Thus far for me customs charges has been mainly on items described as new =S (UK here). When written as used no problems. I tend to get then to ship together as it's less hassle for me to pick up a package if I'm not in.

Ah I see, yeah I don't mind waiting to get them together.

Is it possible to ask Hobby Link (or amiami for that matter) to put used or low value or gift etc. on the box to help with customs?

Luigi87

Good lord.

Ugh, wish I could have gotten my Samus figma... but had to cancel my pre-order due to financial crisis at the time =(
... At least I have my Link figma, and Pit pre-ordered.
... and Marth will be pre-ordered as soon as I'm able to.

Sushigod7

You can't turn back time, but you *can* order multiple Figma Pits (and Dark Pits) :p Not as popular but they should have good value as well.

*hugs his figma samus and figma link*

Yeah get them while you can I learned my lesson with First4Figures if you want the figure/statue get it quickly after release or pre-order. Otherwise you'll get hosed on pricing which sucks.

LiK

Yeah get them while you can I learned my lesson with First4Figures if you want the figure/statue get it quickly after release or pre-order. Otherwise you'll get hosed on pricing which sucks.

F4F statues weren't really popular when they first came out. I still remember the Metroid and Zelda ones were available for months after release and some were even Clearanced at BBTS. Not sure why people were suddenly interested. The quality for their statues are alright. I have all three Samuses. I passed on all the Zelda ones.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I remember liking the look of the Skull Kid one, but that was long ago when I didn't have money to burn.

EDIT: I just saw their gold faced Link. That thing is hideous.

LiK

I remember liking the look of the Skull Kid one, but that was long ago when I didn't have money to burn.

EDIT: I just saw their gold faced Link. That thing is hideous.

The only Zelda one I wanted was Link on Epona but wayyyy too expensive for me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think it was around £45 back then which was a lot for me in my younger days. And I wasn't really into collecting figurines either.

Looking at the prices of the newer figures that's chump change. $150-$400+! Crikey!

F4F statues weren't really popular when they first came out. I still remember the Metroid and Zelda ones were available for months after release and some were even Clearanced at BBTS. Not sure why people were suddenly interested. The quality for their statues are alright. I have all three Samuses. I passed on all the Zelda ones.

Their Metroid Gunship line is fucking EXCELLENT. I can't recommend them higher.

The Gold Link is a shitty design choice, but the rest of the statues I've seen have all looked good.

What issues did you have with the Samuses?

='( Could have got a golden Link on Epona figure from Club Nintendo Europe but now it's off the catalogue, all that's left is the Mario and friends figure =(

The thing I want from the Club Nintendo Euro catalogue is the Mario Kart trophies. Those looked awesome, despite being tiny.

LiK

Their Metroid Gunship line is fucking EXCELLENT. I can't recommend them higher.

The Gold Link is a shitty design choice, but the rest of the statues I've seen have all looked good.

What issues did you have with the Samuses?

The thing I want from the Club Nintendo Euro catalogue is the Mario Kart trophies. Those looked awesome, despite being tiny.

I'm picky and some of the paint job had some slop. Thankfully, they're pretty hard to see from a distance.

Interesting. I have the Varia suit and both gunships, and I haven't seen any paint issues. Not sure if I got lucky or if you got fucked over. *shrugs*

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

Good lord.
InfOTnO.png
I'm surprised no US manufacturer has stepped in for another run and wider distibution of Nintendo figmas. There's clearly plenty of demand.

I'm surprised no US manufacturer has stepped in for distibutorship of a run of Nintendo figmas. There's clearly plenty of demand.
One manufacturer tried to do it, but they lied to the consumers. They opened the channels for preorders when they didn't even work out a deal with the distributor and Nintendo. And when it didn't work out they fessed up that they couldn't work out a deal.
And this is the reason you see these prices for the Nintendo Figmas. IIRC prices went down when they announce that they "were" gonna distribute these figures.

Sushigod7

Yeah I guess your right they were around for awhile before they double and tripled in cost. I wanted the Skull Kid as well but since that's going for 500-800 screw that. Also liked the Link and Epona but not paying that price either. It's a shame they usually have damage issues too some of the releases were rare because of that.

LiK

Yeah I guess your right they were around for awhile before they double and tripled in cost. I wanted the Skull Kid as well but since that's going for 500-800 screw that. Also liked the Link and Epona but not paying that price either. It's a shame they usually have damage issues too some of the releases were rare because of that.

Yea, I'm pretty surprised how high they're going for now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Maybe I should have picked it up when I had the chance ha ha. But I'm a hoarder so I'd likely never sell it.

meijiko

The market for Zelda stuff kind of exploded over the past few years. It's waning now, but for a while there everything Zelda was fetching really high prices, especially the statues. There was a set of Epoch action figures for Majora's Mask that get really high prices now (300+ depending on condition and completeness). Really regret missing out on the early F4F stuff, but we were poor college students then.

grendelrt

One manufacturer tried to do it, but they lied to the consumers. They opened the channels for preorders when they didn't even work out a deal with the distributor and Nintendo. And when it didn't work out they fessed up that they couldn't work out a deal.
And this is the reason you see these prices for the Nintendo Figmas. IIRC prices went down when they announce that they "were" gonna distribute these figures.

Yup, I screwed on that one. Had a preorder for months until I get an email from BBTS:

"Hi - Diamond Comics Distribution has just informed us that they have failed to secure the licensing needed to bring the Max Factory Samus Figma into North America. Diamond has completely cancelled all orders for the Samus Figma for all retailers and distributors in North America, including a huge order placed by BBTS. We are extremely upset with them because they are forcing us to disappoint you and so many other people on this item. Diamond officially solicited this item to us back in September and our orders have been in place with them for months, this news was shocking and extremely disappointing to us. Diamond apparently did not have the licensing deal fully worked out at the time of solicitation and in the past few months some sort of problem arose and the deal with Nintendo could not be worked out. We wanted to let you know about this as quickly as possible so you can try to secure an order with international/other vendors.

We have quickly checked with several distributors in Japan, and all of them are completely sold out, as is Max Factory. We are going to explore more options on possible supplies around the world, but at this point it honestly does not look good. We will leave all preorders open in the meantime in case we can find some sort of solution.

We again are extremely sorry about this, we did not expect Diamond to fail us on this item.
"

Sushigod7

Maybe I should have picked it up when I had the chance ha ha. But I'm a hoarder so I'd likely never sell it.

The market for Zelda stuff kind of exploded over the past few years. It's waning now, but for a while there everything Zelda was fetching really high prices, especially the statues. There was a set of Epoch action figures for Majora's Mask that get really high prices now (300+ depending on condition and completeness). Really regret missing out on the early F4F stuff, but we were poor college students then.

Yeah I had a few chances to get Skull Kid lower than it is now if I would have had the money. Kick myself every time I see it. I totally missed the early releases Samus, Green Tunic Link etc. F4F doesn't have much out now that is exciting except the Ryo from Shenmue which I'll pick up if it looks decent.

Jessicat

I haven't really figured out the best place to watch for figure announcements at these festivals/events, but has there been any more news on the Megahouse Raidou figure?
133963.jpg

Pic Source

Aside from the Black Frost/Mokoi/Mothman figure set coming out in March, this is the only figure I'm looking forward to ^^;

SUPARSTARX

Kinda want to collect the PA Kai Street Fighter stuffs. :( But the paint jobs annoy me.

I have the Ryu and Chun Li and the Chun Li shoulder cracked from like a few pivots. Really pissed with how poor the stuff was constructed.

johnsmith

remember me
The new Megahouse Rise just went up for preorder. Unfortunately she's super expensive because she's a bandai and megahouse online shop exclusive.
http://p-bandai.jp/megatreshop/item-1000079657/?TOP_A
So you have to use a reseller like http://www.biginjap.com/pvc-figures/6771-persona-4-high-priestess-kujikawa-rise.html or a proxy service.

I probably shouldn't buy it, or hope she pops up cheaper on mandarake or amiami, since she's not that great, and I already have Wave's, but I'm going to do it anyway.
ibjlN5qkDY3j75.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom