• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

So apparently Yamato changed their name to Arcadia. Weird. I really like their work and they're my 2nd favorite company. I hope they're not in any kind of financial trouble.
http://www.macrossworld.com/4283/farewell-yamato-hello-arcadia-of-my-youth/

I've never seen anybody post this yet, so here's our Wall of Shame

1. SUPARSTARX
  2. johnsmith
  3. _dementia
  4. Dabookerman
  5. LiK
  6. cajunator
  7. Barrow Roll
  8. NEO0MJ
  9. Razgriz-Specter
  10. Ragingnight

No...noooooo!

SUPARSTARX

Also shots of Bishoujo Lili from Toy Fair

wzWHNDo.jpg

SK0Rhzr.jpg

myOaE7o.jpg

3EbIQFY.jpg

kKOuZ7p.jpg

zaROoDn.jpg

gokieks

Hottest character right now. I remember when she was relatively unknown and googling images for her were so hard. Now she's everywhere.

Personally I think she's basically exhibit A for reasons there are those who look down upon figure collectors (and more broadly, otaku culture as a whole). But personal taste and all that - and obviously plenty of people don't care.

LiK

Personally I think she's basically exhibit A for reasons there are those who look down upon figure collectors (and more broadly, otaku culture as a whole). But personal taste and all that - and obviously plenty of people don't care.

i love her design and art but i have to agree i'm not a huge fan of her in figure form. i like her in normal casual wear, not all the S&M/Goth stuff.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Any of these figures are reasons for people to look down upon figure collectors- it's a geeky hobby and people either think it's cool to nerd out over or cannot understand why adults are still spending money on toys.

gokieks

Any of these figures are reasons for people to look down upon figure collectors- it's a geeky hobby and people either think it's cool to nerd out over or cannot understand why adults are still spending money on toys.

That's simply not true. Sure, there will be those who just think collecting figures is dumb, but there are also a lot of people who would look much more favorably upon someone who owns, say, some Batman or Iron-Man figures, than someone who owns a bunch figures of a voluptuous female anime/manga character in highly sexualized outfits and poses. And I would wager there are a lot more people who would fall into the latter category than the former.

Hey guys, when I try to place a order online for mandarake, I get an error 1G97, I tried calling my credit card but they approve the transaction, any ideas what I should do?

SUPARSTARX

I think they tweaked the Lili sculpt or altered some of the painting. Looks good if that's what we'll be receiving later this year. It'll look good along with the rest of the Bishoujo stuff i got. Yamashita art is godlike.

Takuan

That's simply not true. Sure, there will be those who just think collecting figures is dumb, but there are also a lot of people who would look much more favorably upon someone who owns, say, some Batman or Iron-Man figures, than someone who owns a bunch figures of a voluptuous female anime/manga character in highly sexualized outfits and poses. And I would wager there are a lot more people who would fall into the latter category than the former.

Agreed. Certain toys are simply more palatable to non-enthusiasts than others. A Sideshow Iron Man figure, for example, is more likely to receive positive vocal and internal feedback from a non-hobbyist than a cartoon chick showing off ridiculous T&A.

It is what it is, and I admit that it prevents me from buying risqué figures. It just puts the perv factor a little more "out there" that I'd like. As much as I love the Tharja sculpt, I'll probably wind up passing on it.

Re: Bishoujo Lili... she definitely has that big hair look going on. Not a fan, personally, but can't deny the quality of the sculpt. The entire line is pretty excellent in that regard.

I'm honestly astounded by the love Revoltech Snake is getting around these parts, especially since so many of you hate exposed joints. I know Play Arts Kai gets a bad rep, but their Sneaking Suit Snake looks way better, even if it does have their trademark stupid knee joints.

This
FIG-IPN-6020_01.jpg

vs this? (and I specifically looked for a production version, not a prerelease shot!)
Square_Enix_Metal_Gear_Solid_Play_Arts_Kai_Peacewalker_Sneaking_Suit_Snake_image-1.jpg

I don't even know, Revoltech doesn't come close in my eyes.

BadWolf

I'm honestly astounded by the love Revoltech Snake is getting around these parts, especially since so many of you hate exposed joints. I know Play Arts Kai gets a bad rep, but their Sneaking Suit Snake looks way better, even if it does have their trademark stupid knee joints.

This
FIG-IPN-6020_01.jpg

vs this? (and I specifically looked for a production version, not a prerelease shot!)
Square_Enix_Metal_Gear_Solid_Play_Arts_Kai_Peacewalker_Sneaking_Suit_Snake_image-1.jpg

Sorry but I'll never get a figure that has knees that look like this: http://thefwoosh.com/2010/07/best-toy-ever-play-arts-kai-sneaking-suit-snake

Yup, I'll take slightly exposed and highly adjustable ankles over freak knees any day.
I'm not going to defend PAK knees, they're pretty fuckin weird, but as you see from the picture I posted you can still get a good look (IMO) out of them if you know how to manipulate em. They're double jointed, but you shouldn't use both joints, or not both to extreme degrees, or you get that weird knee block look.

But if we're content to keep slinging pot shots, Revoltech's got tumors growing out of his elbows and knees and a malnourished face.

Pachimari

I'm a huge Tekken fan and Bishoujo Tekken fan but the Lili figure looks way off. The hair, the makeup, the head sculpt.. The four first Bishoujos are better.

And that Revoltech Snake looks atrocious.

BadWolf

Damn amiami got sold out of Big Boss while I was waiting for a reply as to which store is better for preordering lol.

Quickly preodered him on Hobby Link. One thing I like about Hobby Link over amiami is that there appears to be an option to easily cancel orders right on the site.

I'm not going to defend PAK knees, they're pretty fuckin weird, but as you see from the picture I posted you can still get a good look (IMO) out of them if you know how to manipulate em. They're double jointed, but you shouldn't use both joints, or not both to extreme degrees, or you get that weird knee block look.

But if we're content to keep slinging pot shots, Revoltech's got tumors growing out of his elbows and knees and a malnourished face.

That's the thing though, I don't want to limit what I am able to do with it. The Revoltech seems extremely versatile for posing and looks surprisingly good and stylish in them.

I won't just set him on a shelf and walk by him once in a while. He will be by my desk along with Jigen and Lupin and will be posed in various funky scenes along with them. To me that is far more interesting (and useful, for drawing purposes).

Giolon

Man, that Lili figure is horrible. Besides her hair being too big and making her head look tiny, her eyes are spaced weirdly far apart AND she's got the fucking pink eye on top of it. Big big big disappointment. Shunya's art of her was so great. :(

johnsmith

remember me
Whoa. How had I missed this? The next DC Bishoujo is Black Canary. Hopefully they'll get the same guy that did Power Girl and Huntress to sculpt her.

ibcQJICTmt4WrC.jpg

The base for Black Canary is not doing much for me. I find it a bit distracting.

What is the general consensus about the quality of Orchidseed figures? They have illustrations for a Lineage II dark elf and Fiona from Border Break but no release date. I've read that they are notoriously slow when it comes to finishing figures, something like 2 years from announcement to availability but are they worth it?

Thinking whether or not I should wait for their versions or just buy them both.

rDIbTkq.jpg

132IyNR.jpg

rFsxiKq.jpg

This
FIG-IPN-6020_01.jpg

The previous pics looked good, but final painted one looks bad.

And PA one looks like shit too, when seen in real light, not that studio photo.

johnsmith

remember me
The base for Black Canary is not doing much for me. I find it a bit distracting.

What is the general consensus about the quality of Orchidseed figures? They have illustrations for a Lineage II dark elf and Fiona from Border Break but no release date. I've read that they are notoriously slow when it comes to finishing figures, something like 2 years from announcement to availability but are they worth it?

Thinking whether or not I should wait for their versions or just buy them both.

rDIbTkq.jpg

The base is just in line with the other DC figures. Batgirl, Huntress, and Catwoman all have gargoyles too. I actually prefer bases like that. Plain plastic circles are boring.

As for that Dark Elf figure, it wouldn't surprise me if the Orchid Seed version never came out. It was announced 3 years ago and there's still no sculpt. We'll see Max Factory's version much much quicker, and it's based on the same art. I'll vouch for Max Factory's work. Every figure I own by them is fantastic. They're easily my favorite company.
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/117988

The only Orchid Seed figure i own is the Lineage Elf, and she's nice enough. There aren't too many Orchid Seed figures I like, but Princess Bitch is pretty nice (but way too ecchi for me to buy) and I also like their Arshes Nei, which I would buy if I she wasn't so expensive.
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/13787

full-imagephp-4.jpg

As for that Dark Elf figure, it wouldn't surprise me if the Orchid Seed version never came out. It was announced 3 years ago and there's still no sculpt. We'll see Max Factory's version much much quicker, and it's based on the same art. I'll vouch for Max Factory's work. Every figure I own by them is fantastic. They're easily my favorite company.
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/117988

Eh... not exactly encouraging. I guess the only decision is blue skin, tan or both.

Fantomex

I just realized that two wolf clans are at odds in this thread hehe! I like the metal gear figures but man those PA's are like Russian roulette when it comes to those faces though! I once saw a Revoltech Dante and man it looked awesome. I want a Mega Man Zero Revoltech!

BadWolf

Momohime came in, my first figure and what a way to start things of, so pretty.

Luckily I didn't get hit with any customs fees and the packaging was great.

Dammit I need to stop going to AmiAmi's preowned section, but they are so more reasonably priced compared to all the other sites.

Just grabbed the Zero Suit Samus PVC... Both item and box graded A which is a bonus, I need to cutback in figures, buying more and more figures, thank god there's not much games I right now =(. I have truly been integrated into geek GAF XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom