• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.
mtalgeartrio.jpg

YES!

That's one complete collection

atomico

Canti said:
Where do you live? it came out on the 5th of this month in Japan, I have it on order from Playasia (about $70 then 20 shipping).

buenos aires (argentina)

The preorder I mentioned goes for U$S 100. All things considered, it's not that expensive, but the 3 month delay kinda bothers me

I considered getting it through playasia. Never dealt with them before, so I'm a bit worried about damage during shipping (or it getting "lost") :p

Import charges might be in rape-riffic, too

Grimlock

Monroeski said:
Old, old post I know, but it is killing me that I can't put a name to this figure.

That's the Skull Knight from the Berserk manga. And a rather awesome looking figure, at that.

Canti

As posted on the game side pickups thread. Got this today, pretty tall (38cm). Weak base so wobbles pretty easily, looks good next to my PS3 :)

mkulgn.jpg

v66slv.jpg

Gagaman

Ronok said:
£65? Seriously? Wtf. o.o;; That figure is not worth that much. Not at all. :-/
Well, it's not so much a "figure" as it is a resin statue, but each to their own. I don't think most of these half naked anime toys are worth a dime but different strokes for different blokes..

TimeKillr

Hey guys, aside from HLJ, do you guys know another online store that sells kits?

A co-worker and me ordered a bunch of kits from HLJ (I got some SRWOG kits + a Gundam, he got 2 Gundams) and while generally the kits themselves are rather cheap, the shipping costs are MASSIVE, probably because they're in Japan :)

I'm just looking for another retailer that sells those kits. You know, the "level 2" stuff from HLJ, that doesn't require painting or glue but does require assembly. It's fun stuff to build them, but I suck at painting and glue and all that :)
*Edit*
Removed images

S. L.

TimeKillr said:
Hey guys, aside from HLJ, do you guys know another online store that sells kits?

A co-worker and me ordered a bunch of kits from HLJ (I got some SRWOG kits + a Gundam, he got 2 Gundams) and while generally the kits themselves are rather cheap, the shipping costs are MASSIVE, probably because they're in Japan :)

I'm just looking for another retailer that sells those kits. You know, the "level 2" stuff from HLJ, that doesn't require painting or glue but does require assembly. It's fun stuff to build them, but I suck at painting and glue and all that :)

I got the following for myself:
http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html
they are about 20% cheaper than hlj and ship and respond a lot faster.
plus you only have to pay for the actual shipping cost. (same for hlj but hlj shipping costs always end up beeing higher than r10 for some reason...)
you can choose between SAL Air and EMS shipping and SAL is pretty cheap.

TimeKillr

S. L. said:
http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html
they are about 20% cheaper than hlj and ship and respond a lot faster.
plus you only have to pay for the actual shipping cost. (same for hlj but hlj shipping costs always end up beeing higher than r10 for some reason...)
you can choose between SAL Air and EMS shipping and SAL is pretty cheap.

Thanks a bunch. :)

I'll probably order something from there, once, as a little test. It looks kinda of weird for an online store, but they have pretty good prices on a bunch of stuff.. That 1/60 Gundam Exia looks very, VERY tempting :)

S. L.

TimeKillr said:
Thanks a bunch. :)

I'll probably order something from there, once, as a little test. It looks kinda of weird for an online store, but they have pretty good prices on a bunch of stuff.. That 1/60 Gundam Exia looks very, VERY tempting :)
yea, they don't have any pics and you have to order trough mail
so the best way is to look up what you want on hlj and then order it trough r10.

just make a list of what you want and mail it to them to get a shipping quote, they usually answer within less than a day.

I and many others i know have orders tons of stuff from there, highly recommend that shop.

Cardon

shuri said:
What's wrong with their necks, and from what fanfiction is that Star wars scene from :lol

The Star Wars statue/maquette thing is from the Ralph Mcquarrie line. Ralph was the main artist on the original Star Wars films and that was a piece of art he did of Luke fighting Darth Vader. I'm not sure how many other products are planned in that particular line of art based statues.

TimeKillr

S. L. said:
yea, they don't have any pics and you have to order trough mail
so the best way is to look up what you want on hlj and then order it trough r10.

just make a list of what you want and mail it to them to get a shipping quote, they usually answer within less than a day.

I and many others i know have orders tons of stuff from there, highly recommend that shop.

Yeah well I asked for a quote on that 1/60 Exia. It's the weekend over there so I don't expect to get an answer until monday, but I'm anxious to see how it'll go. They seem pretty reliable, from what I've seen all over the site, and very legit. I haven't laughed this hard at incredibly fun engrish, like the the president of the site who likes the picture he put up very much because you don't see his big belly :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I found this Yamato Toys 1/7 scale GITS SAC Motoko action figure yesterday. Never saw it anywhere when it came out, just pre-order slips (for a figure?!) months earlier. Was it that limited?

2792831914_13eeae2bbf.jpg

Looks really posable, but I don't know if I am going to take it out of the box.

Plus this Ikkitousen FIGMA. Following the Ikkitousen theme, there are included ripped shirt and skirt to be changed out for the normal ones. Only in Japan! :lol

2792831920_6772639632.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
shuri said:
What's wrong with their necks, and from what fanfiction is that Star wars scene from :lol

Star Wars figures are from original concept art from the films. Its a scene that never made it into the first trilogy. The breathing mask is awesome. I would have loved to see that on film.

Turtles have long necks! No wait... turtles have short necks and tortoises have long ones... :( :D I'm actually trying to find those figures. I wish I had picked them up when they first came out now.

hteng said:
currently in the process of building this, will probably take me 1 or 2 days, the parts are killing me, spend 3 hours, only managed to finished a pair of hands

sorry for crappy picture quality but you can see the complete figure here
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYVI-22

DSC00417.jpg

If only they were releasing these figures back when I was still interested in AC.

One of my pals sent me an AC model recently. I need to pawn it off on someone. My contempt for that franchise and the utter failure it represents is more powerful than a thousand suns. >:|

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
They're not really figures so much, but sort of along the same lines. I've recently begun buying these Forces of Valor 1:32 military vehicles just because I've always been into military hardware and the WWII stuff looked pretty neat.

So far I've got a Tiger, Sherman and a Stuka. Sadly, the Sherman has this weird roller thingy mounted to the front, which I assume to be some sort of mine-clearing device. I thought they looked too neat to be kept in their boxes, so I unpacked them and they're all sitting on top of my monitor (except the plane that is, too nervous about that falling off)

Edit: Oh, and my best friend has bought me a lot of actual figures for my birthday/Christmas presents in years past. Among the more interesting ones were a Psylocke mini-bust, Faye and Julia figures from Cowboy Bebop, Mai and Launch from Dragonball.

hteng

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
If only they were releasing these figures back when I was still interested in AC.

One of my pals sent me an AC model recently. I need to pawn it off on someone. My contempt for that franchise and the utter failure it represents is more powerful than a thousand suns. >:|

man i don't know why you hate the franchise so much but Shōji Kawamori's mecha designs (macross plus/zero/frontier, eureka 7, escaflowne) are always awesome works of art. If you look back at page 5 you can see my collection of AC figures

I preordered mine months ago and still haven't gotten it yet. >:\

this should be out at the end of July yet i just received it today (almost end of august), the stocks are apparently very limited in numbers, these things sell out fast but takes alot of time to produce given the complexity of it's parts.

I'm trying to preorder these too
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYVI-28
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYVI-24

hteng said:
man i don't know why you hate the franchise so much but Shōji Kawamori's mecha designs (macross plus/zero/frontier, eureka 7, escaflowne) are always awesome works of art. If you look back at page 5 you can see my collection of AC figures

Kawamori was awesome, and AC4 and forward is weaker for From Software letting him get away.

My main beef is how From/Agetec dicked around US player WRT online play.

AC4 finally gets online play, but it's rudimentary at best.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, any Japanese developed game that refuses to acknowledge the larger world market will remain niche, or die.

AC4:A looks a lot easier on the eyes than AC4, which was extremely high contrast and laden with awful, awful "BRAND SPANKING NEW NEXT GEN VISUALS". Like an old girlfriend I'd welcome AC back in the house; but first it needs to prove it's not going to screw me over again. :p

hteng

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Kawamori was awesome, and AC4 and forward is weaker for From Software letting him get away.

My main beef is how From/Agetec dicked around US player WRT online play.

AC4 finally gets online play, but it's rudimentary at best.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, any Japanese developed game that refuses to acknowledge the larger world market will remain niche, or die.

AC4:A looks a lot easier on the eyes than AC4, which was extremely high contrast and laden with awful, awful "BRAND SPANKING NEW NEXT GEN VISUALS". Like an old girlfriend I'd welcome AC back in the house; but first it needs to prove it's not going to screw me over again. :p

ok good you just hate the games ;p that i understand.
I'm for one welcome most of the new changes (in terms of gameplay and whatnot), even the new designs, the Rayleonard and Hoghire AC designs were very very good imo. Shoji's design has started to worn out in the series, they seem to always repeat the same designs, crest (blocky) vs mirage (round smooth).

however, shoji has made a comeback in AC4A, too bad he's only designed one mech, which is the poster AC WhiteGlint, it'll definitely be made into a figure, just a matter of time. btw i think ubisoft's getting the english localization for AC4A.

TimeKillr

hteng said:
currently in the process of building this, will probably take me 1 or 2 days, the parts are killing me, spend 3 hours, only managed to finished a pair of hands

sorry for crappy picture quality but you can see the complete figure here
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYVI-22

DSC00417.jpg

I'm a complete noob when it comes to building kits, and my first one was my Cybuster from SRWOG.

It's a Kotobukiya kit, like the AC ones. I figured I had trouble with it because I was a noob.. Took me a few hours and my Cybuster's back fins and such have trouble staying still and the joints are kinda crappy.

Today I built the Gundam I ordered from HLJ at the same time.

Took me 3 hours for a 1/100 kit, it looks AMAZING, is very solid and most of the joints are rubber instead of hard plastic. It really, REALLY made me fall in love with Bandai's kit quality - I still have a Altesein to build, so I'll see if it's just that Kotobukiya that does lesser quality kits or of I was just lucky...

andymcc

Banned
Rindain said:
I am selling this rare Zero Suit Samus figure / statue on Ebay:

Click here for Ebay auction

This is Samus from Zero Mission. The figure is by Yujin and was released in 2004. It is 15 cm tall.

IMG_2657.jpg

I posted this over on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, but thought there might be more interested people over here as well.

You know, I bought this toy for my girlfriend while in Tokyo in 2005... For 1500 or so Yen... Now it's opened and on her desk at work.

hteng

Banned
TimeKillr said:
I'm a complete noob when it comes to building kits, and my first one was my Cybuster from SRWOG.

It's a Kotobukiya kit, like the AC ones. I figured I had trouble with it because I was a noob.. Took me a few hours and my Cybuster's back fins and such have trouble staying still and the joints are kinda crappy.

Today I built the Gundam I ordered from HLJ at the same time.

Took me 3 hours for a 1/100 kit, it looks AMAZING, is very solid and most of the joints are rubber instead of hard plastic. It really, REALLY made me fall in love with Bandai's kit quality - I still have a Altesein to build, so I'll see if it's just that Kotobukiya that does lesser quality kits or of I was just lucky...

Kotobukiya's kits are very complex and detail, always top quality but they don't product alot like bandai. Each AC kit took me at least 8 hours, there's just too many parts. I've since gave up on gundam kits though, there are just too many of them.

a lil update on nineball seraph, main body's done, working on wings, here's a comparison with a normal AC, sorry for crappy image, i like the back because there are alot nice complex parts there

DSC00421.jpg

TimeKillr

hteng said:
Kotobukiya's kits are very complex and detail, always top quality but they don't product alot like bandai. Each AC kit took me at least 8 hours, there's just too many parts. I've since gave up on gundam kits though, there are just too many of them.

a lil update on nineball seraph, main body's done, working on wings, here's a comparison with a normal AC, sorry for crappy image, i like the back because there are alot nice complex parts there

DSC00421.jpg

I'll agree that the quality looks nice, but plastic joints instead of rubber joints kind of killed it for me...

In any case, I'll probably get the rest of the SRWOG kits but it'll stop there. I'm not that interested in AC kits, so. :)

TimeKillr

I went all-out on Rainbow Ten... :)

I got the following kits:

Gundam Exia 1/60
Exia.jpg

Gundam Dynames 1/100
Dynames.jpg

Gundam Kyrios 1/100
Kyrios.jpg

Gundam Virtue 1/100
Virtue.jpg

Hi-Nu Gundam 1/100
Hi-Nu.jpg

Gonna cost me a bit but it'll be fun :)

Azar

Figures have always been in the realm of things I thought looked really awesome but were too expensive for me to buy. I had a couple Gundam models when I was younger but they'd get knocked over or something. Never stayed together that well.

But now...I've taken the plunge.

eyeup_kamina_01.jpg

Soon it will be mine.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
i just got my first and second last model i will ever get:

2d3o5u.jpg

1549hev.jpg

21j6uxz.jpg

vxz2wi.jpg

34opv91.jpg

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Router said:
What camera did you take those shots with? Very nice.

I put my 24" LCD monitor on its back and took shots in the dark.

These figures are really photogenic.

Alpha_eX

Recently sold a few things and cleared my American DS games from the shelf freeing up a load of space and filling a DVD rack on the other side of the room.

toys_aug_1.jpg

toys_aug_2.jpg

toys_aug_3.jpg

toys_aug_4.jpg

toys_aug_5.jpg

toys_aug_6.jpg

toys_aug_7.jpg

toys_aug_8.jpg

toys_aug_9.jpg

toys_aug_10.jpg

toys_aug_11.jpg

My collection of Pikmin Figures, over 100, not shown.

Alpha_eX said:
Very old picture when I first started collecting, I have much more than this now, going to make a garden display for them all.

toys_pikmin.jpg

thanx, that's awesome! i love pikmin.. didn't even know there were figurines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom