• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

sca2511

DC Bombshells look interesting. I can see why some people don't like them since they don't have the soft look to their faces and such like the bishoujos do. GF loves the whole pinup girl look and also likes Wonder Woman and Poison Ivy, maybe will get as gifts. She doesn't like taking things out of their boxes though...

I wonder if they'll have a Batgirl model.

Messi

DC Bombshells look interesting. I can see why some people don't like them since they don't have the soft look to their faces and such like the bishoujos do. GF loves the whole pinup girl look and also likes Wonder Woman and Poison Ivy, maybe will get as gifts. She doesn't like taking things out of their boxes though...

Seems they have a few others they havent revealed yet. I would assume its Harley, Catwoman and Batgirl at the very least.

BH54DVACcAACc72.jpg

@Nova_Crystallis: Painted Lightning Figurine said:
Oh hiya Gundam

RocBase

I don't think it's so much the style as it could've been done better?
I'm also an avid fan of pinup, but my main gripe with these (save Ivy) is the sculpt (WW) and paint job (WW, SG). There are a few exaggerated details which on the whole, kinda makes them look like caricatures of the illustrations. Why does Supergirl have so much eyeliner? Her face looks kinda monstrous as a result, she would've been fine otherwise.

idk, maybe it's also just another case of figures looking much better in person.

Yup. There'll be a new anime to celebrate Sailor Moon's 20th anniversary. Not much is known about it though.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-06/sailor-moon-manga-gets-new-anime-in-summer-2013
Aw sweet! Cheers.

Damn the Wonder Woman one looks awesome.
Yeah, I'd buy a print if the artist had them available.

sca2511

I don't think it's so much the style as it could've been done better?
I'm also an avid fan of pinup, but my main gripe with these (save Ivy) is the sculpt (WW) and paint job (WW, SG). There are a few exaggerated details which on the whole, kinda makes them look like caricatures of the illustrations. Why does Supergirl have so much eyeliner? Her face looks kinda monstrous as a result, she would've been fine otherwise.

idk, maybe it's also just another case of figures looking much better in person.

I agree with you, there are some things I'm sort of iffy about and it could of been done better, like the eyeliner and the monstrous faces you mentioned. They seem a little masculine.

I like that the characters are being sculpted/visualized in a different direction and would like to see more of it.

Anyone else with the Bishoujo Wonder Woman have issues with the fucking spears? Those things will not go into the base. The holes are way too narrow. It's infuriating.

How did you end up getting them in there? The one that fits in differently (in the other direction) from the other two isn't too bad, but the two that are slotted next to each other are ridiculous.

i honestly just squeezed them in far enough so they would stand up, they aren't pushed all the way in though

Rootbeer

Banned
snatched green and red canti when they went back in stock on amiami. i'll be getting them in the same order as my gon and killua figures. sogood.gif

still waiting on my guts to arrive... should be any day now T__T I think i will use only EMS from now on. I hate waiting.

Sold out of Green on AmiAmi. :(
They stagger the pre-order allocations so more people have a chance. I've seen them do this a lot. I'd check many times per day if you still don't see them in stock.

snatched green and red canti when they went back in stock on amiami. i'll be getting them in the same order as my gon and killua figures. sogood.gif

still waiting on my guts to arrive... should be any day now T__T I think i will use only EMS from now on. I hate waiting.

They stagger the pre-order allocations so more people have a chance. I've seen them do this a lot. I'd check many times per day if you still don't see them in stock.

Thank you for posting this. Thought I'd missed out, but I checked after reading your post and they were both back up.

Torraz

Am I only unlucky or do virtually all figures get delayed? If everything had gone according to plan I would have had to pay for my third figure at the end of April, but it has now been delayed. Same with the two prior.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People are theorising that two figures I ordered for this month may get delayed, but they still have the rest of this month to make an appearance so I'm still hopeful. One figure I got shipped out on the last day of the month.

EDIT: Oh one has a confirmed date. So that two out of three for this month confirmed (one is already out). But the final one is the one I'm most looking forward to. Hopefully I score the hat trick.

sky

Nice, I just snagged the green Canti as well :]. Nice little accessories he comes with, too!

Also ordered Labrys, which was just released last night. Should look great next to my Aegis :].

0v96T09.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
Am I only unlucky or do virtually all figures get delayed? If everything had gone according to plan I would have had to pay for my third figure at the end of April, but it has now been delayed. Same with the two prior.
It is very very common for figures to get delayed.

Nearly all of my 2012 pre-orders have been postponed to 2013. I'm just now starting to receive them.

Rootbeer

Banned
Let's not talk about delays, you guys might jinx my Pit and Dark Pit figures! They are scheduled to be released in the last week of this month... unless anything goes wrong. I've been keeping an eye on the 'delayed' lists and they have YET to show up

meijiko

Let's not talk about delays, you guys might jinx my Pit and Dark Pit figures! They are scheduled to be released in the last week of this month... unless anything goes wrong. I've been keeping an eye on the 'delayed' lists and they have YET to show up

They have a specific set date now, rather than just a month, which dramatically reduces their chances of getting delayed. At this point, they're probably just getting them ready to ship out to distributors.

Rootbeer

Banned
They have a specific set date now, rather than just a month, which dramatically reduces their chances of getting delayed. At this point, they're probably just getting them ready to ship out to distributors.

encouraging :p everyone should snatch these up. They are going to be very hard to find. Samus and Link are highly desired and difficult to find, these will be similar. He does not have the same level of fan devotion but it's still substantial.

Thankfully once these two ship I will own all 4 :3

I wonder what other Nintendo Figmas could be in the pipeline

chrono01

They do tend to do that a lot with pre-orders, especially those from Kotobukiya.

I was excited to see that AmiAmi had it available again...but I think I'll keep my HLJ pre-order. I'm not 100% sure I'll end up purchasing these [I'll have to see how things look in June release-wise], so having them at HLJ means easy cancellations.

They do look nice, though.

encouraging :p everyone should snatch these up. They are going to be very hard to find. Samus and Link are highly desired and difficult to find, these will be similar. He does not have the same level of fan devotion but it's still substantial.

Thankfully once these two ship I will own all 4 :3

I wonder what other Nintendo Figmas could be in the pipeline

I have Pit pre-ordered but there's not enough difference between him and Dark Pit to warrant another purchase [for me, anyway].

I do already have Samus and Link and they're definitely amazing. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Marth figma as well.

Rootbeer

Banned
They do tend to do that a lot with pre-orders, especially those from Kotobukiya.

I was excited to see that AmiAmi had it available again...but I think I'll keep my HLJ pre-order. I'm not 100% sure I'll end up purchasing these [I'll have to see how things look in June release-wise], so having them at HLJ means easy cancellations.

They do look nice, though.

I have Pit pre-ordered but there's not enough difference between him and Dark Pit to warrant another purchase [for me, anyway].

I do already have Samus and Link and they're definitely amazing. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Marth figma as well.
I don't think there is a chance I'll cancel mine, but I am paranoid about that. Would they really close my account after I've spent $1000 there in less than 18 months and intend to spend at least another 300-500 this year? Really shitty business plan they have there.

chrono01

I don't think there is a chance I'll cancel mine, but I am paranoid about that. Would they really close my account after I've spent $1000 there in less than 18 months and intend to spend at least another 300-500 this year? Really shitty business plan they have there.

As long as you keep your cancellation email short and give them a valid reason, it should be fine. I've cancelled from AmiAmi around...six times maybe, and they haven't banned me [yet].

Of course, I spend around $500 there monthly and have a lot of current pre-orders with them, so that might be why. >_<

As long as you do not cancel often, speak politely, and do business with them, I see no reason why they would ban you. If you do cancel, though, try to do-so ahead of time and not when the figure is released.

meijiko

Amiami allows for some cancellations, but if you're pre-ordering a ton of a figures only to cancel them close to release date, they will close your account. It's one of the liabilities of not requiring deposits for pre-orders.

LiK

As long as you keep your cancellation email short and give them a valid reason, it should be fine. I've cancelled from AmiAmi around...six times maybe, and they haven't banned me [yet].

Of course, I spend around $500 there monthly and have a lot of current pre-orders with them, so that might be why. >_<

As long as you do not cancel often, speak politely, and do business with them, I see no reason why they would ban you. If you do cancel, though, try to do-so ahead of time and not when the figure is released.

indeed, they're not gonna ban you if you decide to cancel. it's just a preventative measure in their FAQ so people don't cancel left and right whenever.

sky

Also ordered Labrys, which was just released last night. Should look great next to my Aegis :].

And now Labrys is sold out. Glad I got it!!

If there's one thing I've learned with this hobby so far, it's don't hesitate!
If you like something, and want it... just get it! You never know when the chance will come again, and if it does, it might cost you more.

So anyone out there pondering whether they should get something or not, hesitating over that "add to cart button"... just go for it!

Grabbed an used nendo Ritsu off amiami to complete my K-ON! nendo collection. I thought I preordered back in the day but never did and it always bothered me to have it incomplete, especially since I had Mugi and she was my least favorite.

johnsmith

remember me
What was wrong with the Chie? It looked pretty decent to me.

I meant Chie and Rise were a lot better than Yukiko.

If anybody's still looking for Velvet, plamoya has her in stock.

US$79.81
Save: 24% off (JPY7,848)
http://plamoya.com/en/odin-sphere-sif-ex-odin-sphere-velvet-pvc-figure-p-16665.html
With the better exchange rate and slightly lower price, it comes out about $10 cheaper than what I paid 2 months ago. It'd be even cheaper if you can get a hold of a 5% off coupon.

Is there any particular reason why it takes so long for figures to come out from when they are first shown?

It could be just me but it seems like it takes many months for the figure to come out from the initial showing.

johnsmith

remember me
If just promo artwork was shown, you need to wait for the sculpt to be finished. Once the sculpt is finished it needs to be painted. Once it's painted it needs to be mass produced. If you want to see how they're mass produced, there's a great article about that here http://www.nekomagic.com/?p=19526. It's not uncommon for it to take more than a year from promo art to finished product. The reason they get shown before they're ready to be sold is to build up hype, just like movies or video games are announced long before they're released.

If just promo artwork was shown, you need to wait for the sculpt to be finished. Once the sculpt is finished it needs to be painted. Once it's painted it needs to be mass produced. If you want to see how they're mass produced, there's a great article about that here http://www.nekomagic.com/?p=19526. It's not uncommon for it to take more than a year from promo art to finished product. The reason they get shown before they're ready to be sold is to build up hype, just like movies or video games are announced long before they're released.

Wow, that looks like it takes a lot of work ( and time ). I didn't know they used so many machines to make them but it makes sense if you want to create a lot of them in a timely manner/rate.

The hype aspect is totally understandable, I just had the misconception that figures didn't take a lot of time to make.

Thanks for the article!

I think I'm going to get that Red Canti. Never used AmiAmi before though, I assume that it's trustworthy enough to preorder from, judging from this thread. Anything I should watch out for before I preorder it?

Hero

What's SIF mean on that Velvet page? I really want that figure. Damn.

Also AmiAmi is the only place I've used so far, they are great.

johnsmith

remember me
I think I'm going to get that Red Canti. Never used AmiAmi before though, I assume that it's trustworthy enough to preorder from, judging from this thread. Anything I should watch out for before I preorder it?

Absolutely 100% reliable. I've bought from them dozens of times. Never had any problems. Just be aware that you won't know the final shipping cost until the order is ready, but it'll be around $10. And as has already been discussed earlier in the page, they don't (officially) allow order cancellations. And they can ban you if you request orders be cancelled/don't pay for an order.

What's SIF mean on that Velvet page? I really want that figure. Damn.

Nothing. SIF EX is just the name of the line. It's just branding. Like Yamato's Creator's Labo, Megahouse's High Priestess, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom