• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

meijiko

Woah, woah, woah. A Captain Falcon firgure? Where/when can I get this? Share your secrets with me.

Also, could someone tell me how I can check my pre-order status on Amiami?
I'm new to this. Come at me.

From the homepage: Registration/My Account, Log in, click Combine orders by month. It should have everything organized by expected release date.

Kotobukiya has good taste. Pantless Wonder Woman is dumb as hell.

jl_dcnu.jpg

Holy fucking shit.... She's been pantless for the last 70 YEARS!

I don't know where you guys have been....
Fuck legacy man, I couldn't care less how long something has been around, it doesn't stop it from looking silly. Pantless Wonder Woman is lame, pantless Robin with elf shoes is lame, and underwear on superheroes is universally lame. These are all products of an older time and times have changed. I can accept pantless Wonder Woman when it's supposed to be overtly sexy, like the Bishoujo, or when it's a deliberate callback to the comics of yesteryear. Otherwise, an Amazon Warrior wearing a swimsuit to battle is just fucking stupid.

All my opinion of course, you're entitled to like pantless Wonder Woman as much as you want.

Remember the uproar about the costume redesign just prior to the New 52? Fuck the fanboys, I totally dig it!

Wonder_Woman_No__601_by_AlexGarner.jpg

Edit: Forget it, not worth it. I'll just say one thing and leave it at that: I don't have much love for fanboys after working in a comic shop for the last 4 years and hearing the mountains of ridiculous shit that comes out of their mouths day after day.

eXistor

Also, could someone tell me how I can check my pre-order status on Amiami?
I'm new to this. Come at me.
They'll send you an email with payment details. You have to pay within the week as far as I know. Just check you email to make sure you don't miss the payment window.

Can't wait to get these guys on display still need to finish the game too. Hope we get a constant stream of Nintendo Figma's. Fire Emblem next then maybe a Pikmin Captain Olimar. Would like to see a Luigi's Mansion version of Luigi too not enough figures of him.

Yes - YES! I want a Figma Luigi with the Poltergust 5000! And please with a small scared Toad as a first release bonus ;)

Edit: Forget it, not worth it. I'll just say one thing and leave it at that: I don't have much love for fanboys after working in a comic shop for the last 4 years and hearing the mountains of ridiculous shit that comes out of their mouths day after day.
Lol I feel ya man. Unfortunately fan service sells well. Cbange can be good. It sucks that despite all the progress the comic medium has made there's still a huge desire for woman to be portrayed in such an over sexualixed manner.

I'll just say one thing and leave it at that: I don't have much love for fanboys after working in a comic shop for the last 4 years and hearing the mountains of ridiculous shit that comes out of their mouths day after day.

oh, believe me. I can imagine.

But come on. Railing against a costume design that's been in place for the better part of a century?

Though I was partway intoxicated last night, so I don't care about it nearly as much as I seemed to. I'd just prefer the Koto statue be an accurate representation of the New 52 costume, if that's what they're going to label it.

WhyMe6

I got my Mandarake order today and despite ALL of the wonderful reviews online for them, I had problems with 2/6 figma.

Mami Tomoe's had her bow broken off from the back of her outfit. I'll try to glue it back on, so that's not too big a deal.

Even worse, one of Kyouko Sakura's weapons was completely absent from the box.

Worst part is, they were both sealed and seemingly brand new. The descriptions said so on the site, and when I opened them EVERYTHING in the box was as a new figma would be: body plastic buffers, sealed bags, sticky tape - the works. They said they can't do anything about it because they were brand new. They suggested contacting Good Smile to try and get a replacement, so I have. If I can't get one from them, I'm going to lodge a PayPal claim for the 3,500 yen for Sakura.

Totally sucks :(

All in all, I cannot recommend the Nakano store of Mandarake. The Fukuoka order was perfect though :)

LiK

So, the figure I ordered from Nippon-Yasan has been "Preparing" for a whole week. That's one complaint about them. They take forever to package their stuff and ship them out. Same thing happened with previous orders. I dunno why it takes them so long.

Acid08

Banned
Lol I feel ya man. Unfortunately fan service sells well. Cbange can be good. It sucks that despite all the progress the comic medium has made there's still a huge desire for woman to be portrayed in such an over sexualixed manner.
She is very much not a sex object in her current series, despite not having the pants. Like having pants on can really make a portrayal of a character less sexualized. Catwoman has a full body suit on and her portrayal is nothing but sexualization for fuck sake.

SUPARSTARX

Wouldn't mind Medicom stuff if it wasn't so expensive. They are waaaaaaaay overpriced and I see some of it is being severely reduced on Plamoya too cuz nobody's buying them lol

And hey, you can totally modify that and add some cushion in the back if ya know what I mean. People mod the hell out of their Hot Toys figures over on SSC. Hell, that Hot Toys 1989 Joker figure comes with pillow cushion padding over the body to make him look bubbly like Jack Nicholson because they don't make fat base bodies.

LiK

Looks like the original FFXIII Serah Play Arts figure is hard to find. OVerpaid for one on eBay cuz of the ridiculous shipping costs from AUS. Whatever, better off than buying from a HK seller. i'm always afraid of bootlegs from them. Should've bought her when she was easier to find about a year ago.

Whatever, better off than buying from a HK seller. i'm always afraid of bootlegs from them.

I would be, too. But you can usually tell which ones are legit based on price. If the going rate for a figure is $100 or so, and you find one from an HK seller for $40, then obviously, be wary.

LiK

I would be, too. But you can usually tell which ones are legit based on price. If the going rate for a figure is $100 or so, and you find one from an HK seller for $40, then obviously, be wary.

the HK seller was selling her for $85 with free shipping. hard to tell but too much to risk it. the total from the AUS seller was $73 so it was a better deal and the AUS seller only had 2 available and they already sold one.

oh, believe me. I can imagine.

But come on. Railing against a costume design that's been in place for the better part of a century?

Though I was partway intoxicated last night, so I don't care about it nearly as much as I seemed to. I'd just prefer the Koto statue be an accurate representation of the New 52 costume, if that's what they're going to label it.
Like I said, legacy doesn't mean much to me, some things are just a product of their time and don't mesh with me nowadays. If your little girl asks you why Wonder Woman is the only member of the Justice League that doesn't wear pants what are you going to say? She hasn't worn pants for over 70 years so it's okay? It's a silly relic of days gone by. If not pants then something that at least reflects her Amazonian warrior heritage while paying homage to her roots. I love Daniel Araya's design because it accomplishes just that.

To your second point though, you're right, Kotobukiya probably should modify the design to match the New 52, or maybe release a variant, even if their sculpt is based on the image I posted earlier before DC caved to fan backlash and got rid of her pants.

She is very much not a sex object in her current series, despite not having the pants. Like having pants on can really make a portrayal of a character less sexualized. Catwoman has a full body suit on and her portrayal is nothing but sexualization for fuck sake.
Personally, it's not so much to do with sexualization, I just think it looks dumb.

Not good but i'll probably buy it to go with the Hush Batman that I do like alot.
Harley is also pretty bad.
Eh, the Batman could have been great, but the stock body is just way too skinny.

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5175030#post5175030

There are some amazing customs though,

P1060431_zps2bd9dfaa.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think they can get production ready in time. The figure making process is generally a longer one than most people realize. :)

Oh I know how long it takes, but you have to wonder how long this stuff's been known about. Surely a Daft Punk deal isn't something that just 'happens'. We could have seen prototypes a while ago.

I just wish they'd give us a price and a pre-order page, tbh. I've never wanted a figure more than those guys.

ZetaEpyon

Picked up my figma Guts: berserk armour ver. from the post office this morning, since it arrived on Saturday while I was out of town. As expected a lot of the box poses are pretty much impossible to actually pull off, or look kind of crappy from any angle except the one they took the photo from.

Still, it's pretty nice, and I managed to get a decent mid-cleave type of pose that I think I'll keep it in for display:

I tweaked a few things after taking this shot, particularly fixing his right foot so it looks more planted. May take some more shots when I unbox a couple more things and reconfigure my Detolfs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom