• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

really happy to have sold a figure on eBay that i put up on a whim for a dumb price and someone actually bought it.

fmpanda

Bring money.

Speaking of, I've been at A-Kon for the last couple of days, here is the current figure/model haul:

964516_10151457793986966_1203699880_o.jpg

That's hot.

Good for you bro, a lot of people collect stuff and keep it in their packaging with the intention of re-selling it. I just laugh at people like that and feel sorry for them. You'd be shocked by the attitude some people have. Some people will just get stuff that they see is popular without caring about the franchise or character just so they have a good chance of selling it down the line. It's especially prevalent on some of the statue forums.

I have an older friend who is insanely passionate about Transformers as well. His basement is like a giant shrine for transformers.

btw you might be interested in this
Thanks guys. And I totally agree with you Barrel, I'll never understand that attitude towards collecting. It's driven purely by greed, not passion.

That's also a beautiful illustration, but I couldn't help but notice that it's heavily inspired by a piece of Fall of Cybertron concept art.

LiK

Yup, I'm a fan of the SD line. These will go well with my Unicorn Gundam and Crossbones Gundam.

i have a huge stack of them i bought during a trip to HK years ago. they were cheap there so i stocked up. now they're sitting in the closet :(

RocBase

Yep, they're closing down. :(

I didn't use them a whole lot, mostly for sale figures or for One Piece pre-orders [that were sold out everywhere else], but even still, they were pretty great. It's always sad to see shows like them close down. :(

As for confirmation:

http://www.otacute.com/

IMPORTANT NOTICE

With much regret and great sadness we wish to advise that Otacute will be closing for business. We sincerely apologize for the sudden notification and will do our very best to ensure a smooth closing. Of course, we intend to honor all running pre-orders with us. Based on the release dates for running pre-orders we expect the website to be operating up to around October, but this may change depending on manufacturing delays and so forth. As for immediate adjustments, we plan to stop advertizing and accepting pre-orders over the next couple of weeks and plan to stop accepting all new pre-orders and back-orders by May 31. In-stock products can still be purchased while we are operating. We would also like to note that we are accepting cancellations for products scheduled for release from September onwards. Any updates will be posted on this page. Your support and understanding is greatly appreciated.

Taking this opportunity we would also like to thank all of our great customers. It has been a pleasure serving you and we thank you for your fantastic support over the years. Without you the running of Otacute would never have been possible. Thank you from everyone at Otacute.

Please feel free to contact us gen_inquiry_eng@otacute.com if you have any questions.

One again thank you for your fantastic support.

OTACUTE
Damn...that's sad.
Never used them personally but it's never nice to hear about a business going under.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
With shocking speed, I have already gotten the Ultimate Madoka figure I ordered last week. And I think I lucked out.

Apparently this is the bootleg packaging.

577912_535506336459789_120998143_n.jpg

And mine came in this

wHqW4G6.jpg

woohoo!

BBTS has Liquid Snake and Raiden up for preorder:

ylYuent.jpg

Not liking how these are going up in price with every new one released. Snake/Fox were $50; Ninja Raiden was $70; and these are now $80.

SUPARSTARX

BBTS has Liquid Snake and Raiden up for preorder:

ylYuent.jpg

Not liking how these are going up in price with every new one released. Snake/Fox were $50; Ninja Raiden was $70; and these are now $80.

Same with Hot Toys.

They were all like 140-160 MSRP each in like 2009. Now they are double that amount.

Dark Knight DX02 Batman was $160 or $170 MSRP I believe.
Dark Knight Rises DX12 Batman is $250 MSRP. :(

Figuarts Akiba Red finally got here, a week and a half ahead of the expected date.
im surprised at the size of the box so small compared to the Figma boxes.

Seller included some weird Japanese candy which was weird but nice.

chrono01

i splurge on envy for 150 on mandrake.

I wanted it for awhile and I was like should I or should I not? I ended up hitting order rofl.
The feeling when you obtain a figure you've been wanting/craving? Priceless.
The cost you'll [likely] spend to do-so? Pricey!

Yet...I sit here, commending your decision to place that order. If you did not, you would have surely regretted it later. It's always nice tracking down that elusive figure and adding her to your collection.

Oh yes, you are definitely among friends here.

The feeling when you obtain a figure you've been wanting/craving? Priceless.
The cost you'll [likely] spend to do-so? Pricey!

Yet...I sit here, commending your decision to place that order. If you did not, you would have surely regretted it later. It's always nice tracking down that elusive figure and adding her to your collection.

Oh yes, you are definitely among friends here.

It's true. You always regret not ordering later on. Cut to me desperately searching for a place with Iron Man Mark VII pre-orders still open after I realised it looks better than the Iron Man 3 suits. Felt bad man.

There aren't too many already released figures I'm tracking down now to be honest. It's mostly just Yamato Hattori Kiriko. I never see her available for anything other than a crazy price on ebay. Like £300-900 crazy.

Ahhh one day though. One day.

I actually controlled myself pretty decent at the Philly Comic-Con today. I did come away with two pieces. Kotobukiya had a booth and something I wasn't ever saying no too and I found another wanted figure I'd been wanting to get on the cheap and succeeded.

Loki was there.:) I said no!

The Snowtrooper I got for $100 bucks. I was able to haggle the guy down to that at the booth.:D

Holy crap, congrats! How much did she end up costing you?

JEALOUS! That's one of my grails, but she's SO expensive. >_<

Congrats!

Niiiice :O (though I'm scared to ask how much you paid for it).

Finally unboxed Yoko and Black Bats (and took a couple shots of Kongiku).

About £200
Saw it on eBay, and I pounced instantly.

Basically she and the box are in excellent condition. The pegs on the base have broken off though. But the base is so bland, I'm not fussed. Just gonna try to screw on some wooden pegs I think.
Any good guides online for something like that?

WhyMe6

With shocking speed, I have already gotten the Ultimate Madoka figure I ordered last week. And I think I lucked out.

Apparently this is the bootleg packaging.

And mine came in this

woohoo!

Hmmm, but that's still not the official packaging? Is it solid, does it stand well? It's a tricky and potentially breakable figure as it is. It's also beautiful <3

Blusby

Well gonna preorder the Meiya 1/7th figure, but I have to ask would it be better ship it by EMS or SAL? I'm a bit worried that shipping it with SAL may damage the figure when it gets here.

SUPARSTARX

That's a nice Morrigan pickup.

I have a few things I also want to get but I don't wanna pay a whole lot for: HT Two Face, Kotou Catwoman Bishoujo heh...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hmmm, but that's still not the official packaging? Is it solid, does it stand well? It's a tricky and potentially breakable figure as it is. It's also beautiful <3

Websites I've visited say it's the official packaging. Has the hologram sticker on the back and right logos. Even watched a few unboxing videos and everything looks right.

Looks great and went together fine.

WhyMe6

Websites I've visited say it's the official packaging. Has the hologram sticker on the back and right logos. Even watched a few unboxing videos and everything looks right.

Looks great and went together fine.

Argh, my bad. I got mixed up with GSC and assumed it was the Figma, not the 1/8 PVC one >.< Apologies!

LiK

Yeesh, some dude just PMed me on eBay about what the lowest offer I would consider for one of my figures. I think I'm gonna ignore that msg.

o man bayonetta is back up for PO on amiami but that seam on her knee is the the deal breaker. The ear I can sorta overlook but not that seam.

Jube3

A few months ago I picked up the Moebius model kits for Iron Man 2, I was happy with how they came out (especially for the price) but hated the stands they came on. I decided to make a quick one today using a wood base from Michaels and some left over sculpey. If anyones interested the model kits are about 7 inches tall and run about 40 bucks each. I still need to matte coat the base and add some pigment/foliage but I'm happy with how its come out so far.

e69e7f44cb6111e2984f22000a1fb895_7.jpg

Well gonna preorder the Meiya 1/7th figure, but I have to ask would it be better ship it by EMS or SAL? I'm a bit worried that shipping it with SAL may damage the figure when it gets here.
It depends, EMS is really fast but tend to cost a lot more than SAL. No matter the shipping method tbh, most of the boxes will be labelled fragile and tend to be packed with paper or polystyrene stuffing so that they don't shake inside the box. I haven't used EMS and I haven't had any damages on my figures and pretty much every shipment have used SAL. Others may be able to answer you on EMS, but I recommend EMS if the figure is particularly expensive.

Yeesh, some dude just PMed me on eBay about what the lowest offer I would consider for one of my figures. I think I'm gonna ignore that msg.

Lol, I don't get that I mean isn't that basically why eBay has a best offer option XD, I mean I get why the PM but when they PM like that you know they wanna haggle the price down by 50% or something.

LiK

Lol, I don't get that I mean isn't that basically why eBay has a best offer option XD, I mean I get why the PM but when they PM like that you know they wanna haggle the price down by 50% or something.

he actually offered a price that is $25 less than the BIN from his PM. i don't get why he didn't just offer it through the auction instead. my figure is the cheapest from the active listings when i checked for being brand new. yet all these guys are still offering the most low balliest offers they can think of.

once the auction expires without any buyers, i'm gonna wait a few weeks and then relist it without the Best Offer option. no more stupid low ball offers for this figure at least. i regret rejecting the very first offer where a guy offered for $15 less.

A few months ago I picked up the Moebius model kits for Iron Man 2, I was happy with how they came out (especially for the price) but hated the stands they came on. I decided to make a quick one today using a wood base from Michaels and some left over sculpey. If anyones interested the model kits are about 7 inches tall and run about 40 bucks each. I still need to matte coat the base and add some pigment/foliage but I'm happy with how its come out so far.

e69e7f44cb6111e2984f22000a1fb895_7.jpg

looks great

EYEL1NER

What is your eBay username? I remember a couple months ago you mentioned you might be selling some figures and were going to get a list together. I guess if you posted it then I missed it but I will check out what you have on there.

Bombless

o man bayonetta is back up for PO on amiami but that seam on her knee is the the deal breaker. The ear I can sorta overlook but not that seam.

My main problem is the face but after looking at the pictures again it seems it's really the angle at which that one picture was taken that makes it look weird. I'm kinda warming up to it....

Edit : Warming up pe damned. I won't make the same mistake as with Sailor Moon. Pre-ordered.

LiK

What is your eBay username? I remember a couple months ago you mentioned you might be selling some figures and were going to get a list together. I guess if you posted it then I missed it but I will check out what you have on there.

PM'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom