• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2

Neo Member
Do you guys have $$ limits on a figure?

I really want to pick up a Bakemonogatari figure...but they are all pretty steep T_T
( I really want more than one XD)

Figmas should be about 30 or so? And these scale figures....

senjougahara-bakemonogatari1.jpg

Figma on Amazon (I know not a good place to buy)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9PY1C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Labrys

Bake is really popular in Japan, so the prices are going to reflect that. I'd look around Mandarake, Rakuten and AmiAmi pre-owned if you want to get a discount.
As for my limit, on scales I try not to spend more than $65-75. Especially if they have to be EMS'ed. I think my exception on that rule would be whenever I get Goddess Madoka, she's going to be $80~ and she has to be EMS so I'm assuming she'll come to about $120.

johnsmith

remember me
I don't really have a limit, but I hate spending more than the MSRP, but I will on older figures that as long as they're reasonable compared to newer figures.

The most I've spent is on Persona figures, about $130 for Megahouse's Rise (not worth it based on pics I've seen), and their Chie is going to be up there too. Exclusive figures suck. Also have a prepainted resin kit (basically a bootleg) of Mitsuru ordered from e2046 for $150. Way too expensive but its the best version of Mitsuri I've seen. Blows the Alter and Kotobukiya versions away. Plus she's a relatively large 280mm tall.
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/99144

Though I've been thinking about selling some of my less favorite figures to fund the purchase of a couple of more expensive wants (like Yamato's Poison and Alter's Yukiko).

Giolon

It's hard to say what my hard limit is, but the more expensive a figure the more I absolutely must be sure that I can't live without it. The most I've paid is $213 ($180 + shipping) for the ebCraft Selvaria Bles when she was released. I'm sure there will be something some day to surpass it, but I'd have to think well on it. During the past few years of horrible exchange rate, I've regularly paid over $100 after shipping.

These days space is just as much a consideration as price.

It's hard to say what my hard limit is, but the more expensive a figure the more I absolutely must be sure that I can't live without it. The most I've paid is $213 ($180 + shipping) for the ebCraft Selvaria Bles when she was released. I'm sure there will be something some day to surpass it, but I'd have to think well on it. During the past few years of horrible exchange rate, I've regularly paid over $100 after shipping.

These days space is just as much a consideration as price.

Speaking of which, the yen has risen in the past few days. Hopefully the rate will still remain favorable.

Elixir

If anyone here has an e2046 account like myself, could I kindly ask of you to wishlist this? This makes a pre-painted version more likely to happen. "Please put in Wishlist to show your interest."

http://www.e2046.com/product/18289

I have two other figures from e2046 and I'm really satisfied with their work, so I'm hoping this will garner enough interest for them to bother with.

gokieks

AmiAmi pre-owned had the GSC Senjougahara in A/A condition for 12980 JPY, and this time I saw it in time to jump on it. It's higher than MSRP, but I justified it to myself with the fact that JPY is now much weaker than it was back when it was released, so actual cost to me in USD isn't all that different. And it, more than any other figure, is the one that I'm been lamenting missing out on.

As for upper limit, I'm not sure I really have one, but I've yet to spend more than $170 or so (shipped) on any figure, and I imagine it's around the $200 mark where I'd start having a lot more trouble convincing myself to spend the money.

LiK

My limit is $200 for most figures. Only a handful I would pay full upfront if its beyond that. Sideshow's Flexpay option helps.

johnsmith

remember me
Do any of the major sites sell capsules? Or is this all doomed to only being purchasable via eBay?

It probably depends on the manufacturer, but yes, it's common for all the major stores to carry full boxes of trading figures.

I just scored the Taito P4U prize figures of Chie and Yukiko for 1600 yen from Mandarake!
ilC47ZWNHOjD4.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
Mark VII and Catwoman freaking delayed until July now. Just got notification from Sideshow.

GRRRRRR....

What does the Sideshow website say for your Mk7 order? Mine still says "Processing". What does that mean? Damn, I think it'll be Sept before I get him.

The Power Pose Mark 42 is a fixed pose figure with interchangeable leg pieces. The Power Pose Red Snapper on the other hand has no interchangeable parts, but limited articulation in all the major points. Here's the photo showing the points of articulation.

163988_10151371418587344_1484779315_n.jpg

I haven't been impressed with any of the IM3 figures that Hot Toys has shown. Not feeling the Diecast line, at all. I'm so glad Sideshow found a Mk7 for me.

AmiAmi pre-owned had the GSC Senjougahara in A/A condition for 12980 JPY, and this time I saw it in time to jump on it. It's higher than MSRP, but I justified it to myself with the fact that JPY is now much weaker than it was back when it was released, so actual cost to me in USD isn't all that different. And it, more than any other figure, is the one that I'm been lamenting missing out on.

As for upper limit, I'm not sure I really have one, but I've yet to spend more than $170 or so (shipped) on any figure, and I imagine it's around the $200 mark where I'd start having a lot more trouble convincing myself to spend the money.

Congrats man, she's an awesome figure. I think I paid about 1200 JPY unopened from Mandarake. It was worth it.

I haven't been impressed with any of the IM3 figures that Hot Toys has shown. Not feeling the Diecast line, at all. I'm so glad Sideshow found a Mk7 for me.

For real. The IM3 line is sad so far and the Heartbreaker has yet to be shown.

I slept on the MK7 thinking I'd get something from IM3 and regret it. I do have the MK4 Secret Project though, so I can't be too bothered. I'll get that red and gold at some point.

LosDaddie

Banned
For real. The IM3 line is sad so far and the Heartbreaker has yet to be shown.

I slept on the MK7 thinking I'd get something from IM3 and regret it. I do have the MK4 Secret Project though, so I can't be too bothered. I'll get that red and gold at some point.

SAme here. I assumed HT's IM3 line would be even better (the Heart Breaker looked amazing in promo shots), but after being disappointed in the shitty Power Pose and Diecast line, I decided to go ahead and try their waiting list.

Are you on Sideshow's waiting list for Mk7? I would give it a shot. I was on their waiting list and got bumped to an actual order a couple weeks ago. So happy about that.

The Power Pose Mark 42 is a fixed pose figure with interchangeable leg pieces. The Power Pose Red Snapper on the other hand has no interchangeable parts, but limited articulation in all the major points. Here's the photo showing the points of articulation.

163988_10151371418587344_1484779315_n.jpg

That actually looks pretty damn awesome. I'd consider getting it if I didn't have a gabillion other things on pre-order already..

Are you on Sideshow's waiting list for Mk7? I would give it a shot. I was on their waiting list and got bumped to an actual order a couple weeks ago. So happy about that.

I am! Customs and shipping to the UK is going to suck if I get converted but whatever, this is the first time I've had to try and get a figure from the US. I'll just deal with it and be happy to get one if I luck out.

NEO0MJ

I guess something in the $600 range, though you never know when a figure will push you to pay more. Still, I rarely buy figures so I have a good amount saved for my splurges most of the time. The last time I bought something was over a year ago.

sca2511

My limit for figures might be around $200, but it also depends if I really want it. The Catwoman Bishoujo for example, I'm not too fond of the design/face, but I want it to complete the DC Bishoujos so I'm willing to spend more. I also want the White Phoenix Bishoujo since I have the other two, but that seems to be more expensive than Catwoman.

Right now, my limit's currently just below $300, considering that my HT Mk. VII maxed my previous budget of $250 (I'm including tax).

On that note, kinda glad it got delayed to July... I have more time to save money as the figure's technically 'pre-paid in full'.

johnsmith

remember me
Haha, so glad I don't collect hot toys/side show stuff. For me $250 is something super rare and long sold out. For you guys its an every day preorder price.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
I don't have a limit on what I'd pay, I live in the UK, if I set a limit I wouldn't buy anything.

I said a page or two back that I pre-ordered the Kotobukiya Dead Space 3 Issac figure from Ami-ami and felt the shipping was too high, but it arrived today and it's Kotobukiya's box size to blame.

He arrived in a massive box nearly the size of a 1/4 Enterbay figure, the actual box for the figure wasn't nearly as big but it was still huge compared to what I was expecting, Kotobukiya could learn a lot from Hot Toys on how to box their figures in a more economical manner.

After not loving Dead Space 3 I was worried I was gonna hate this guy on arrival, but Issac's still looks bad ass at the end of the day. As much as I like the original look from the first game, and even the second there is something very John Carpenter's " The Thing" about this outfit that works for me.

The head's ball jointed but you can't make much use of it, the fur collar restricts most of the movement. The left and right hands rotate, as does the plasma cutter but I find it doesn't look right if not posed a certain way. Anyway, here he is, light up feature turned on, and from 100% natural lighting.

I don't have a limit on what I'd pay, I live in the UK, if I set a limit I wouldn't buy anything.

I said a page or two back that I pre-ordered the Kotobukiya Dead Space 3 Issac figure from Ami-ami and felt the shipping was too high, but it arrived today and it's Kotobukiya's box size to blame.

He arrived in a massive box nearly the size of a 1/4 Enterbay figure, the actual box for the figure wasn't nearly as big but it was still huge compared to what I was expecting, Kotobukiya could learn a lot from Hot Toys on how to box their figures in a more economical manner.

After not loving Dead Space 3 I was worried I was gonna hate this guy on arrival, but Issac's still looks bad ass at the end of the day. As much as I like the original look from the first game, and even the second there is something very John Carpenter's " The Thing" about this outfit that works for me.

The head's ball jointed but you can't make much use of it, the fur collar restricts most of the movement. The left and right hands rotate, as does the plasma cutter but I find it doesn't look right if not posed a certain way. Anyway, here he is, light up feature turned on, and from 100% natural lighting.
That looks really awesome. I have a friend in the same boat as you in regards to not liking Dead Space 3 so this should make him really happy.

Much better than the frankly awful and overpriced Play Arts figure.

just got Sayaka (Madoka), Hanna (Strike Witches), and Sigrid of the thorns today

Hanna is top notch as expected (alter)

Sayaka is simple but nicely done (GSC)

Sigrid.... Looks beautiful if you don't touch it rofl. Clothes aren't easy to put together, and the peg to the base isn't easy to stay on either. I had to mash that in.

Is sigrid worth the price? If the peg and clothes were better produce, then yes. Otherwise its really pushing it. It looks great assembled but before hand...man that thing was rough.

Sideshow gave a first look at their first Pacific Rim release. Looks neat!

I hope they do Striker Eureka and some of the Kaiju as well!
All this Pacific Rim merch from NECA and Sideshow is nice and all but...

...the movie's producers dropped the ball by not getting Bandai on board with the merch. I feel only they can do justice making really nice Kaiju and die-cast Jaeger toys.

For example, they just announced the following the past couple of days:

Tamashii Nations S.H. MonsterArts Mechagodzilla (MFS-3 Type 3 Kiryu)

Tamashii Nations Metal Build Gundam Exia Repair

It would've been sweet for Pacific Rim to get this kind of treatment from Bandai too, y'know?

sca2511

Anyone getting the Koto Kurisu re-issue? I'm not sure if I should wait till it gets back in stock on Amiami or just reserve it on Hobby Search. A bit cheaper on Amiami.

meijiko

Got my May order in yesterday, took a shitty cell phone pic after I got everything together.

From left to right:
Sigrid of the Thorn (Original character)
Miku (Vocaloid)
Kongiku (Muramasa)
Kirito (Sword Art Online)
Asuna (Sword Art Online)

Echoing the sentiments that Sigrid is difficult to work with. She took me the longest to put together, especially since her base needed special work to get it to work properly. The peg hole for her left boot had too much extra plastic in it, so I had to take a utility knife to it to get it to go in properly. Beautiful, but a lot of work.

Miku I was really surprised with. She came with more accessories than I could ever want, including a guitar, keyboard, microphone, leeks, extra pigtails, along with the usual Nendo fare. Really get your money's worth with this one.

Kongiku is beautiful. No complaints here; she fits in well with the rest of the Vanillaware Alter figures in detail and presence.

Kirito was a guilty pleasure for me, but not really special. Just the usual Nendo stuff. His faces seemed a little off to me, though I don't know if I could pinpoint why I think that. I like the ragout rabbit, though I think it was an odd choice to include.

Asuna is a pretty solid figure from Kotobukiya. Really easy to put together, no real fussy parts. While not my favorite character, I have trouble saying no to a girl with a sword. Witches and warriors are my favorites.

sca2511

Saw pre-orders for Kurisu come back on Amiami and jumped on it. Now I see that I have four orders for September, including the three Nintendo re-releases. Totally broke the one figure per month deal I said to myself.

Saw pre-orders for Kurisu come back on Amiami and jumped on it. Now I see that I have four orders for September, including the three Nintendo re-releases. Totally broke the one figure per month deal I said to myself.

Yeah, same here. I've got Kurisu, Zero Suit Samus, Samus figma and Estelle (Tales of Vesperia) all in Sept. Eek.

gokieks

Anyone getting the Koto Kurisu re-issue? I'm not sure if I should wait till it gets back in stock on Amiami or just reserve it on Hobby Search. A bit cheaper on Amiami.

Waiting on GSC to re-release (or have one show up for a decent price). Mandarake has a unopened/damaged box for 15000 JPY, but that's too much for a figure that I want but don't consider must-have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom