• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky

Now that pictures of Daisy-chan have officially been released, here she is!
iwo2al2OYCMKe.jpg

I said WOW... she looks incredible!

Bombless

Not my kind of figure but I just felt like Pierce in Saints Row 2 in the strip club : DAYUUUM THEM SOME NICE SHOES!

Love those shoes.

johnsmith

remember me
I was thinking of making a new OT, so we can get some blog and shop links up, faqs (because there sure are a lot of frequent questions), and just a bit more general info for people new to the hobby.

Does anybody mind if I make the new thread? Or are people really attached to this one and want to keep posting here? This is a really nice community we have here, honestly, I've seen lots of bigger sites and forums whose figure threads are wastelands compared to this one, and I want to keep it going.

Also do we want to keep the western 1/6 figure stuff mixed in with the Japanese pvc stuff? Personally I don't mind if it's mixed, but I don't know if the hot toys collector's want to start their own thread. I don't mind the mixing and I think it helps keep the thread busy. Even if I don't collect them I don't mind seeing pictures of them. I'd need help writing up a section about them though, as I've never bought one.

sca2511

I'd like the thread to stay mixed, since I'm a fan of both styles of figures/statues and it's convenient just to have them both in one thread. New OT sounds fine, it'd make it easier for the people making the jump into purchasing or collecting if there were a proper OP.

zoku88

A new OP is nice, even though most of the regular posters or lurkers(like me) know their way around the figure world, there might be some people who, for example, wouldn't know which sites are known for bootlegs or maybe comparison of the foreign sites (might not even know that a lot of them have english sites.)

I also don't mind if the Jpn and Western stuff is mixed.

Yup, I'm on board with a new OT. Plus I don't see Zaptruder posting here anymore. Keep Japanese and Western mixed as it is.

Shipping seems to be a common question, SAL vs EMS, delivery time, etc. Maybe include a catchy thread title as well.

Bombless

I'd be up for a new OT. I like it being a mixed thread to be honest. I'm not interested in the Hot Toys stuff but I love seeing them ;)

A new and proper OT would be good, but I think it should be a mix of all things to do with geeky collecting. Japanese PVC statues, Figuarts, Figmas, D-Arts, Revoltech, even the dreaded Play Arts, Hot Toys, Enterbay, Sideshow, DC Direct, heck even run of the mill Hasbro or Mattel figures, or those lead Eaglemoss figures that one guy likes to collect; any and all collectibles should be welcome without derision. I check in every once in a while, and I couldn't care less about anime girl PVC statues, and while that's what the thread predominantly is, I still see other things I care about. This is a small community and fragmenting it would be silly.

Now, on topic, I bought something I never thought I would buy: a custom cape off eBay for my DX12. It hangs more naturally, has weight, a more movie-accurate length, and doesn't look bunched up around the shoulder connectors. So much better than the stock cape.

YXaZmN0.jpg

chrono01

I was thinking of making a new OT, so we can get some blog and shop links up, faqs (because there sure are a lot of frequent questions), and just a bit more general info for people new to the hobby.

Does anybody mind if I make the new thread? Or are people really attached to this one and want to keep posting here? This is a really nice community we have here, honestly, I've seen lots of bigger sites and forums whose figure threads are wastelands compared to this one, and I want to keep it going.

Also do we want to keep the western 1/6 figure stuff mixed in with the Japanese pvc stuff? Personally I don't mind if it's mixed, but I don't know if the hot toys collector's want to start their own thread. I don't mind the mixing and I think it helps keep the thread busy. Even if I don't collect them I don't mind seeing pictures of them. I'd need help writing up a section about them though, as I've never bought one.
Yeah, for sure. I'd absolutely be fine with a new OT as long as everyone else is. This one is somewhat outdated, so one created proper would probably be best [especially for those new to collecting].

As for whether it'd be okay to have it mixed, while I focus on the more Japan-centered releases [anime/manga/game-related figures/items], I know there's a huge market for the other stuff as well. I wouldn't complain at all to have them mixed since, as you said, it makes the thread more active. Not only that, but it might create fans of certain items that they normally might not have been exposed to otherwise. That's a good thing.

So yes, you have my vote for approval.

LadyRiven

Tharja colors are up. She looks way better than the photoshops. :p

c85bc030.jpg

I like her, but I think this figure is a little too sexualized for my tastes. (That doesn't necessarily bother me; I have nude figures, but for some reason the way this one is presented comes across as too cheesy to me.)

Re: new OT. I'll echo was other have said. A new thread is a good idea and I think it's better to have things mixed. An OP with info would be great, so people can find out less obvious things like where to buy exclusives and what the WonFes stuff is all about etc.

Now, on topic, I bought something I never thought I would buy: a custom cape off eBay for my DX12. It hangs more naturally, has weight, a more movie-accurate length, and doesn't look bunched up around the shoulder connectors. So much better than the stock cape.

YXaZmN0.jpg

Can you link or PM me where you got that? It looks way better. No matter how I attempt to bunch/pose the original it always looks distractingly big and long. Kind of strange for a company that seems to value accuracy so much :p

c85bc030.jpg

I like her, but I think this figure is a little too sexualized for my tastes. (That doesn't necessarily bother me; I have nude figures, but for some reason the way this one is presented comes across as too cheesy to me.)

I'm all about that. Pre-orders tomorrow you say? How can I resist one of my favourite sculptors doing Fire Emblem. The paintwork is better than I could have imagined and it's always nice when figures have well integrated props.

Can you link or PM me where you got that? It looks way better. No matter how I attempt to bunch/pose the original it always looks distractingly big and long. Kind of strange for a company that seems to value accuracy so much :p
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-1-6-...V_Movie_Character_Toys_US&hash=item461076e3d8

There you are. Just so you know what to expect, you're literally going to get a cape in a small packing envelope. It doesn't have those nifty clips that the stock cape has so you just kinda have to stuff it into the holes in the shoulders until it stays in.

chrono01

I'll be pre-ordering as well. Any idea of what the price is going to look like?
Nothing confirmed yet [unfortunately], but given her size [1/7, 20.5 cm's tall] and the detail/quality of her, as well as Fire Emblem being as popular as it is, I'd estimate she'll be priced somewhere in the 7,500-9,000 yen price-range. I can't see her being 10,000+ yen, so you shouldn't have to worry there.

We won't know anything for sure until later today, unfortunately, and even then the quoted price won't have the store discounts. So she could be a lot cheaper than MSRP, especially if AmiAmi [and similar sites] offer a great discount.

To be honest, I'm willing to spend 10,000+ yen on her [shhh, don't tell Max Factory!]. That's how much I desire this.

chrono01

Well yeah, I'll get her regardless (dat ass), but I'd rather not pay $100 for her when I just ordered Junko for $111. :p
Haha, yes. It's definitely something I'd rather not do, but I am prepared. I must have her, AT ANY COST!

I just hope Max Factory doesn't predict that, and therefore decides to charge a premium for her. It's possible, although unlikely. They're pretty fair with their pricing.

Even Samurai [another Shining Wizard/Max Factory sculpt] was only 7,250 yen with the AmiAmi store discount, so I'm predicting/hoping for something similar!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-1-6-...V_Movie_Character_Toys_US&hash=item461076e3d8

There you are. Just so you know what to expect, you're literally going to get a cape in a small packing envelope. It doesn't have those nifty clips that the stock cape has so you just kinda have to stuff it into the holes in the shoulders until it stays in.

Thanks man. That's fine with me. I won't be messing with the him once everything is set-up, so as long as it'll stay in place after that we're all good.

Helloween

Nothing confirmed yet [unfortunately], but given her size [1/7, 20.5 cm's tall] and the detail/quality of her, as well as Fire Emblem being as popular as it is, I'd estimate she'll be priced somewhere in the 7,500-9,000 yen price-range. I can't see her being 10,000+ yen, so you shouldn't have to worry there.

We won't know anything for sure until later today, unfortunately, and even then the quoted price won't have the store discounts. So she could be a lot cheaper than MSRP, especially if AmiAmi [and similar sites] offer a great discount.

To be honest, I'm willing to spend 10,000+ yen on her [shhh, don't tell Max Factory!]. That's how much I desire this.

What time roughly do amiami's orders go up? I don't want to risk misisng her :(

Torraz

Now that pictures of Daisy-chan have officially been released, here she is!

As usual, Kotobukiya does Tony Taka's art justice. I know some people have an issue with her face, but I honestly can't see it at all. She looks beautiful.

Now that we have official pictures, pre-orders should [hopefully] open soon. She's scheduled for December.

I don't even know from where that character is, but I think I am inclined to buy it, as long as the price is reasonable.

Any idea on price / when it would be available for pre-order?

Jube3

YXaZmN0.jpg

This looks awesome man, I missed out on the DX12 but I am still on the hunt. I think I'm going to have to join in on the cape mod once I track one down.

For Hot Toys collectors, I got my notification from sideshow that Snake Eyes will ship next week (which made me really week and got me to pre-order storm shadow) and I read on sideshowcollectors that some have gotten their notifications for the MKVII EX. Still waiting on the Iron Man MKVII but if everything ships like its supposed to next month is going to be epic with Hulk, Iron Man, Enterbay Michael Jordan and Snake eyes!

c85bc030.jpg

Yup, I'm ordering two. God damn. It also makes me wanna get the game. That's never happened before haha.

I think there's a high chance of her selling out just cuz she's a Fire Emblem character.

For sure, I just don't expect it to happen in the first few minutes. The ES for these types of figures is in the thousands, it ain't no Mondo release. If you want one I'm sure you'd get one if you ordered the day it came out(ie no need to F5)

Helloween

For sure, I just don't expect it to happen in the first few minutes. The ES for these types of figures is in the thousands, it ain't no Mondo release. If you want one I'm sure you'd get one if you ordered the day it came out(ie no need to F5)

Thats what im thinking. Luckily I think UK time is great for this. I'll be up at 6am anyway, so i may as well pre order then

Giolon

c85bc030.jpg

Oh man....it is a bit more sexualized than I'd prefer, but man dem thighs! I've gotta do it.

Also, I'd support a new OT. As much as I don't particularly care about most of the western toys and figures that pop up in here, I don't feel like there will be enough activity to support separate threads. And it can be cool to see what other types of figures people are in to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom