• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.
BobLoblaw said:
Start NAO! There's pretty much no other work of fiction that's better. And they're re-releasing Smoker thank god. He's been selling for $300+ for the last two to three years.

:lol

I would agree there's no better manga but no better fiction is a bit of a stretch. :lol

I really want to get some of those P.O.P. figures but there just so expensive I still can't justify buying one. I'd want to get a good set of the strawhats but they make Nami's figure so...promiscuous I don't know if I'd want it. :lol

BobLoblaw

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
you could also try other shops, like hlj and hobbysearch, which are more english friendly.

You need to rotate your collection like I do:
http://radiantdreamer.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/my-current-collection-january/
Awesome collection! Where'd you get your glass case in that first pic? It's not an IKEA Detolf is it?

VGChampion said:
:lol

I would agree there's no better manga but no better fiction is a bit of a stretch. :lol
Well it's the best I've ever read. I mean, 500+ issues and it's still going strong. It's also around the halfway point from what I've heard. :D

Zaptruder

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
you could also try other shops, like hlj and hobbysearch, which are more english friendly.

You need to rotate your collection like I do:
http://radiantdreamer.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/my-current-collection-january/

Nice Asuka motorcycle.

I very much prefer the first one though... but the guys that paint the second one don't paint the first one.

Wish I could afford to get someone to paint it for me. Or maybe it'd be worthwhile just getting the airbrush and compressor and giving it a shot myself.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just bought this.

wsu3b5.jpg

Should post a picture of my collection at some point :lol

BobLoblaw said:
Awesome collection! Where'd you get your glass case in that first pic? It's not an IKEA Detolf is it?

Yup, it's a Detolf. It's not the most ideal display case, because it's square. Rectangle would have been way better, IMO. I have two Detolfs side by side, basically a divider in the middle. If it was a single rectangle, there'd be more room for figures!

Zaptruder said:
Nice Asuka motorcycle.

I very much prefer the first one though... but the guys that paint the second one don't paint the first one.

Wish I could afford to get someone to paint it for me. Or maybe it'd be worthwhile just getting the airbrush and compressor and giving it a shot myself.

These guys have a recast of the kit. They used to stock prepainted ones.
http://www.e2046.com/product.php?products_id=6382

_dementia said:
I'd buy this.
I don't have the game or anything, but hey, I play Vanillaware games just for the art alone anyway :lol
FlightOfHeaven said:
If you get it, let me know and for how much. I loved that game.

Available for preorder on hobbysearch, 7800yen, I believe. I just preordered mine from HLJ so I could use my Paypal instead. Also:

3315625608_905d2ff8d1_o.jpg

My Gwendolyn.

DrForester said:
Just bought this.

Professor Layton[IMG]

Should post a picture of my collection at some point :lol[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I preordered him a few months back. He's just so cool! :D

BobLoblaw

Banned
For One Piece fans, Boa Hancock, Strong World Franky, and Strong World Chopper (v2) are now up for preorder on Amiami, HLJ, and Hobbysearch.

FIG-IPN-1175_05.jpg

FIG-IPN-1176_04.jpg

FIG-IPN-1177_02.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just got my Laton figure. Will eventually post pictures.

I haven't gotten a Revoltech figure in a while, but good for them for finally making a little container for all the spare parts.

DrForester said:
Just got my Laton figure. Will eventually post pictures.

I haven't gotten a Revoltech figure in a while, but good for them for finally making a little container for all the spare parts.

Oh damn, I totally forgot to post pix of mine too! Will do that sometime soon as well. :p

BobLoblaw

Banned
Vox-Pop said:
Anyone have any experience with amiami?

I'm looking to buy the Bandai Prop Plus Petit K-On! 2 from them?
Yes. Bought some Armored Core model kits from them and had no issues. Make sure you request register SAL shipping when placing your order unless you want to pay for EMS.

Vox-Pop said:
Anyone have any experience with amiami?

I'm looking to buy the Bandai Prop Plus Petit K-On! 2 from them?

AmiAmi is almost the same as hobbysearch. Their discounts and their pricing are almost identical. Even their packing.

AmiAmi is was having a half-price shipping sale. Not sure if they still are. I believe that AmiAmi doesn't let you cancel preorders as easily as say, HLJ though.

HLJ has better packing, but take longer. They're just as slow as e2046, if not slower.

Overall, AmiAmi is probably better than most other places because you can get exclusives from them, that other online shops don't offer.

Sorry for double posting.

Just got my Xecty Military Uniform version from AmiAmi just now. Packaging is actually better than hobbysearch, and even though it's SAL shipping, it arrived a lot faster than HLJ ever does. No box damage, everything is great. So yeah, buy from AmiAmi if you are inclined to.

DSC01997.jpg

Snaku

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Sorry for double posting.

Just got my Xecty Military Uniform version from AmiAmi just now. Packaging is actually better than hobbysearch, and even though it's SAL shipping, it arrived a lot faster than HLJ ever does. No box damage, everything is great. So yeah, buy from AmiAmi if you are inclined to.

DSC01997.jpg

Sweet, glad to hear they're a good service. I just ordered a S.H. Figuarts SSJ Son Goku and Revoltech Daimajin from them, though I chose EMS given their half off sale. How long did SAL take?

My apologies. I had chosen EMS too because of their half-off sale. No wonder it arrived so quickly!

I just got my Tsugumi Nendoroid this morning from HLJ via SAL. They sent me a shipping notice on the 12th, so it takes 10 days.

MaxSteel

i'd really like a nice Mugin model from Samurai Champloo if anyone ever comes across one online somewhere. I'm not really into figure collecting, so I don't know the places to look.

Snaku

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Woah! That was fast!!

amiami delivers! :)

How big are these figures? I'm assuming they're about the size of regular Revoltechs?

Daimajin is about the size of a regular Revoltech, while Goku is quite a bit larger at almost 7 inches.

Figured I would finally post the figures I have, as I was cleaning out the display case. I can't find the picture of Gabranth, Kasumi, The Tick, and Naked Snake, but it's around here somewhere. I'll edit it in later.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

mollipen

Okay, got a question for those of you who are more versed with figure ownership than I am.

I'm not much of a figure owner, other than my slightly copious Pinky:st collection. However, I do have a couple, which includes two Kotokubiya Persona 3 PVC figures (Aigis and Mitsuru). A few days ago, I was looking around for something, and when I went to move Aigis, I was rather surprised to find her head to be incredibly sticky.

I'll wait a moment so you can ge the urge to make any jokes out of your system.

Checking her over, other parts of her are a combination of dust and stickiness, and Mitsuru has it far worse. I've never encountered something like this, and have no clue at all why they'd be sticky. Nothing was spilled on them, I don't smoke or anything like that (so nothing in the air that would cause it, except for shitty near-LA air quality), and the Pinky:st figures and Optimus Prime standing near them may be a little dusty, but not at all sticky.

Is there something about PVC figures that would cause this? Any recommendations for cleaning? I took some dish soap and a toothbrush to Mitsuru, thinking it would help, but after letting her dry it didn't help in the least.

GONz

For robots fan, where do the Bandai 1/72 VF-25 and VF-27 stand in term of difficulty compared to Gunplas? According to HLJ, the VF are lvl 2 in difficulty (HG on Gunplay scale), while MG are obviously harder (lvl 3) and I won't talk about PG of course. Any return from experience?

Human_Shield said:
Figured I would finally post the figures I have, as I was cleaning out the display case. I can't find the picture of Gabranth, Kasumi, The Tick, and Naked Snake, but it's around here somewhere. I'll edit it in later.
PIX

Nice stuff!!! I've got the Ayane, and Genshiken and Tenjou Tenge figures too! :D

shidoshi said:
Okay, got a question for those of you who are more versed with figure ownership than I am.

I'm not much of a figure owner, other than my slightly copious Pinky:st collection. However, I do have a couple, which includes two Kotokubiya Persona 3 PVC figures (Aigis and Mitsuru). A few days ago, I was looking around for something, and when I went to move Aigis, I was rather surprised to find her head to be incredibly sticky.

I'll wait a moment so you can ge the urge to make any jokes out of your system.

Checking her over, other parts of her are a combination of dust and stickiness, and Mitsuru has it far worse. I've never encountered something like this, and have no clue at all why they'd be sticky. Nothing was spilled on them, I don't smoke or anything like that (so nothing in the air that would cause it, except for shitty near-LA air quality), and the Pinky:st figures and Optimus Prime standing near them may be a little dusty, but not at all sticky.

Is there something about PVC figures that would cause this? Any recommendations for cleaning? I took some dish soap and a toothbrush to Mitsuru, thinking it would help, but after letting her dry it didn't help in the least.

There's an article on my facebook group (Anime Figurines Network) with a link to a website that details on figure cleaning (specifically smurf figures, but it applies nonetheless).

Unfortunately, it looks like that smurf site no longer exists. :(

The stickiness, is caused by humidity changes causing the PVC to be more soft and porous. (check out my article on plastic types if you're interested)When that happens, dust particles, and food particles (such as oil particles that travel in the air) will get caught in the plastics.

There are chemicals that can break it down and remove the particles. [B]http://www.twinpines.com[/B]

Usually mild soap should work though. Were you washing it in cold water? Try soaking it in warm or hot water, so that the plastic becomes a little more malleable, and rubbing soap directly on the surface rather than a soap water solution. Dry carefully with a hair dryer.

Out of curiosity, do you live in a humid region of the world?

humanshield said:

Looks like your Lilith is leaning... use a hair dryer and gently heat her up and soften the plastic. Then bend her straight again, and while holding her in that position, run her under cold water so the PVC re-hardens.

Snaku

Banned
My S.H. Figuarts Kamen Rider TheBee & DiEND arrived today. :D

15ojyf9.jpg

zmi61w.jpg

SHF's are quickly becoming my favorite action figure line, and the only toys I see myself collecting for the foreseeable future. The sculpt accuracy, articulation, size, and quality control are second to none. The price is also very reasonable as well. I cannot wait for the additions of Ultraman and One Piece to the line, and I'm even considering picking up a Precure SHF with my next order. I haven't even seen Precure yet, but that's just how impressive and fun SHF's are.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm not too much into the figure thing anymore, but I did pick this up at the Kotobukiya Store yesterday:

4576047205_63c7939d60.jpg

Didn't think it was out yet! I also found a Capcom Girl Fighting Kinu Nishimura Sakura figure for 2000 yen, an Azumanga Daioh Sakaki figure (they are making new ones for all the characters, it seems), and an Urusei Yatsura Monsier Bome figure, but they are all packed up. Had to ditch the boxes to fit them into my luggage, too. Sucks.

Got a couple of K-On figures this week :D

Alter's Yui figure is awesome, big and lovely detail. I love how Geeta has real strings!

Also got the figma Mugi. I didn't think I'd like Mugi, but I do. And her keyboard is cool too :D

Would take pics, but my bro is borrowing my camera.

POST PIX PEOPLE!!

Lyte Edge said:
I'm not too much into the figure thing anymore, but I did pick this up at the Kotobukiya Store yesterday:

4576047205_63c7939d60.jpg

Didn't think it was out yet! I also found a Capcom Girl Fighting Kinu Nishimura Sakura figure for 2000 yen, an Azumanga Daioh Sakaki figure (they are making new ones for all the characters, it seems), and an Urusei Yatsura Monsier Bome figure, but they are all packed up. Had to ditch the boxes to fit them into my luggage, too. Sucks.

Mmmm... Shunya figures are so hot...

MNC

There is only one figurine I must get ahold of some time, and that's either the regular samus from Metroid Prime or the Phazon suit.

FFF10042.jpg

phazon2.jpg

Figurines are an expensive hobby :/

Takuan

My latest acquisition, 3A / Ashley Wood N.O.M. Commanders Thrice Naut and Post Fire (Post Fire pictured):

Dope packaging!
noms16.jpg

Post Fire gesturing, posing
noms14.jpg

noms15.jpg

noms13.jpg

don't have many anymore, and this duo is my favourite:

girls.jpg

It was the only decent Cammy figure i could find. All other models were too tacky or in horrible proportions :D

expy

Banned
Halycon said:
My aunt caught me eyeing it, and bought it for me "as a gift". More like forced it on me (she paid the cashier while I wasn't looking)
IMG_2778.jpg
That thing is impossible to find anywhere for a decent price now. =(

Takuan

DemiMatt said:
Just got my Iron Man Mark 3 Battle Damage, will post pic later.
PLEASE! LOVE those figures , but I want to see how they look in non-promo shots. I'm sure they look great, but still.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of either War Machine or Mark IV.... or possibly both. They're ridiculously pricey, though.

selig

Banned
Sorry for the question, but as a complete figur-noob, I´d like to ask:

Does anyone know if there are some really hot Monster Hunter-girl figures? Now that I´ve become that addicted to MH3, I´d like to express my fandom by getting just a single super hot figure of the franchise :p

Takuan

BobLoblaw said:
Actually, they offer SAL and Registered SAL shipping in addition to the more expensive EMS shipping.
They charge their own handling fee for SAL Registered. I don't see an option for SAL on their website, and was unsuccessful in trying to contact them for information (their listed e-mail is not up to date, or their servers were down) when I tried to inquire about a Revoltech Vash the Stampede figure. It's probably around the same price when all's said and done.

I do I like that HLJ gives a breakdown of shipping options and costs right on the product page.

S. L.

Takuan said:
They charge their own handling fee for SAL Registered. I don't see an option for SAL on their website, and was unsuccessful in trying to contact them for information (their listed e-mail is not up to date, or their servers were down) when I tried to inquire about a Revoltech Vash the Stampede figure. It's probably around the same price when all's said and done.

I do I like that HLJ gives a breakdown of shipping options and costs right on the product page.
i recommend rainbowten http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html
they have an a bit oldschool ordering system, but their customer service is very good and quick. also they are very quick with shipping stuff (unlike hlj)
they only charge actual shipping cost (hlj also claims to do that but rainbowten shipping comes out always cheaper)

DemiMatt

Takuan said:
PLEASE! LOVE those figures , but I want to see how they look in non-promo shots. I'm sure they look great, but still.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of either War Machine or Mark IV.... or possibly both. They're ridiculously pricey, though.

Sorry for the poor light, there isnt really any in my office, but man oh man does this figure look amazing. Not as great waist articulation as the War Machine and MK 4 will have, but def an improvement on all fronts from the original MK 3.

This has been my new hobby and fuck me is it expensive. But man are they so0o worth it!

Anywyas here are some pics!

31694_10150171393115508_747120507_12530490_6868983_n.jpg

31694_10150171393165508_747120507_12530497_3177181_n.jpg

31694_10150171393695508_747120507_12530536_651084_n.jpg

31694_10150171393100508_747120507_12530489_5704097_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom