• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

expy

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
That is true. Though I found that the majority of the time, it's either negligible savings, or it's overpriced.

Duty seems to be luck of the draw, but the chances of requiring to pay duties increases as the order coming through gets bigger.

Out of 4 figure I've ordered online, only one had customs charges+ duties applied to it... And those charges amounted up to about 25% of the total price of the item... I was pissed.

expy said:
Out of 4 figure I've ordered online, only one had customs charges+ duties applied to it... And those charges amounted up to about 25% of the total price of the item... I was pissed.

I've been very fortunate these past two or three years that none of my figure orders have had duty. And I order A LOT of figures (like 2 or 3 a month).

And I just preordered this one!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10126459

10126459a2.jpg

expy

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
I've been very fortunate these past two or three years that none of my figure orders have had duty. And I order A LOT of figures (like 2 or 3 a month).

And I just preordered this one!
Was looking at that one earlier in the month...

I JUST received my Saber ~Triumphant Excalibur~ figure by GoodSmile Company. :D

Customs charged the $8.00 EMS handling fee and applied taxes to the product, which came up to about $20.30. =( Ordered from HOBBY SEARCH btw.

Pics to come soon~

Edit: Holy crap this box is huge... I totally forgot this was 1/7 scale. :lol

expy said:
Was looking at that one earlier in the month...

I JUST received my Saber ~Triumphant Excalibur~ figure by GoodSmile Company. :D

Customs charged the $8.00 EMS handling fee and applied taxes to the product, which came up to about $20.30. =( Ordered from HOBBY SEARCH btw.

Pics to come soon~

Edit: Holy crap this box is huge... I totally forgot this was 1/7 scale. :lol
That figure looks great! cant wait to see the non-PR pics!

gokieks

Very nice. I seriously thought about getting it, but couldn't really justify it when I already bought the Saber Lily ~Distant Avalon~ figure and still have it sitting in the box.

Those pics make me think I should have anyway...

For me personally, I've had enough of Saber, and this didn't look all that appealing to me, so I passed on it. Saber Lily might be the last Saber I get, and if not, then chances are, I'll be selling one to to justify replacement.

Giolon

My Selvaria figure by Alter just arrived! For those who missed out on my photos of the Selvaria figure by ebCraft, you can find them here.

This is the Selvaria Bles figure by Alter. She's supposed to be 1/7 scale, compared to ebCraft's 1/6 scale rendition, but Alter's is actually slightly larger. Those "scale" numbers are often pulled out of the manufacturer's asses anyway.

Let's start with the box. I'll just say, in typical Alter fashion, it's goregous:

|||

Now let's check the figure out, cape first. I really like that Alter gives you the option to display her with or without her cape. It's those kinds of extras that can make a figure great. The base is not actually mottled, that's just the reflection of my wall and ceiling. It's just an extremely reflective black plastic surface. I'm glad that she's not slightly smiling as she was on the prototype pictures (and still is on the box).

|||

Now let's check out the awesome lance that we all fear so much! Alter has chosen to go with Selvaria's iconic threatening pose. I love it! And they figured out a way to get it to stand up without assistance (though there is a clear stand for the lance if you're worried about it).

|
||

Update 10/25/10: While she's perfectly capable of balancing without the support stand for the lance, mine has already started to drop after just 24 hours. Even with a metal rod reinforcing the arm internally, it doesn't look like this anymore without the support of the stand. It's angled downward a few degrees. A disappointing turn.

Finally, let's see some direct comparison shots between the two figures:

|

You'll see that each figure has their pros and cons. Alter's figure has the iconic pose, better gold painted trim (particularly on the pants), a varied blue hue on the lance (botom lance), and the whole cape option. The ebCraft figure has what I feel is a more accurately proportioned face, better painted hair with blue highlights, a more accurately modeled lance (check out the rear section, it actually retracts slightly), better gold paint, and a far more interesting base.

If you can only pick one of them up (which given the low production run of the ebCraft figure and how long ago it came out is probably the case), you should pick up Alter's version. Though if you're going to do so, you'd better hurry. AmiAmi is already sold out (though I've seen a handful of them pop back up in their store), and Hobby Search has already raised their price 1000 yen.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Does anyone have this figure? http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10113345

It's cheap, looks decent, and hear it's decent, but I also hear the seams on the hair are pretty ugly looking. Something like that would really be distracting and I'd like my first figure to be nice looking.

If it's bad I might get the GSC's Senjougahara or wait for the Alter Senjougahara.

Giolon said:
My Selvaria figure by Alter just arrived!

I'm still waiting for mine!!! T_T

Thanks for the review! Hmmm... she looks less impressive than I thought, but I guess I'll know once I get her. Must do photoshops of her!

Oh yeah... some of my recent photoshops:

brskodomut.jpg

rin.jpg

clalaclan_photoshop.jpg

Check out the blog for the reviews, more pix and youtube videos of these being made.
http://radiantdreamer.net

pootle

I'm not sure if any of you can help me but I'm looking for some advice.

I've bought my nephew some stikfas figure kits in the past but they seem to have gone out of business and supplies have dried up. Christmas is looming large on the horizon and I don't have any other good ideas.

Do any of you know of any similar figures? They don't have to be exactly the same, just the same sort of idea.

Thanks!

pootle said:
I'm not sure if any of you can help me but I'm looking for some advice.

I've bought my nephew some stikfas figure kits in the past but they seem to have gone out of business and supplies have dried up. Christmas is looming large on the horizon and I don't have any other good ideas.

Do any of you know of any similar figures? They don't have to be exactly the same, just the same sort of idea.

Thanks!

Ebay comes to mind. You still got time!

If your nephew like anime, figmas and revoltechs come to mind too.

TommyT

Calling all GAF figure people... halp is needed! My sister sent me back with a bunch of her boyfriend's figures to sell (all in box, condition is good). Pictures coming soon... any chance someone might be an aficionado to know if there is any value to them (full sets as well), or if there is anything particular about them that would make them worth more? I know for cards these are called "misprints", no clue what they're called for figures.

Most are of the Marvel Legends series 1-8 including galactus, sentinel, legendary rider, and apocalypse series. Also, something called Kingdom Come. Pics soon.

Series 1
- 2 Iron Man figures, however the lower one is not painted metallic on the yellow parts (top one is)
- 2 Hulk figures, don't notice anything different about them but haven't scrutinized
IMG_1815.jpg

Series 2
- 2 figures of The Thing, however one has a trench coat, glasses, and hat (figure on the back has none of those)
IMG_1814.jpg

Series 3
- Daredevil is not listed as part of the series on the back where it says "collect them all"
IMG_1816.jpg

Series 4
- 2 different Elektra's. One has the holographic comic that seems to be of a rarer set
IMG_1819.jpg

Series 5
- Same as 3 with Redskull not being listed as part of the series on the back
IMG_1821.jpg

Series 7
IMG_1823.jpg

Series 8
IMG_1824.jpg

Kingdom Come
- Missing Hawk Man, however has Red Arrow that isn't listed as a part of a set on the back
IMG_1826.jpg

Looks like he had everything to make a complete Sentinel and Apocalypse.
IMG_1832.jpg

Found this site : http://marvellegends.info/index2.htm and a wiki on it but... anyone know if there is anything of value when it come to these or just whatever someone will pay on ebay?! :\

Guys,

I'm looking to make my first model but I am not too sure who to go to. I have a love for mechs (hence the username) and I have a few tachicomas already. But I was looking for something large but not too advanced. I'll maybe look through this thread for some tips and ideas and get back to you :)

Oh, also very obsessed with Major Kusanagi <3

54-46!

Mecha_Infantry said:
Guys,

I'm looking to make my first model but I am not too sure who to go to. I have a love for mechs (hence the username) and I have a few tachicomas already. But I was looking for something large but not too advanced. I'll maybe look through this thread for some tips and ideas and get back to you :)

Oh, also very obsessed with Major Kusanagi <3
I'm very satisfied with my Alter/Vice Motoko figure, if you can find it it's definitely worth it.

As far as mechs go, you should check out Robot Damashii or Gundam Fix Figuration/Zeonography if you're looking for figures (and not model kits).

TommyT said:
Calling all GAF figure people... halp is needed! My sister sent me back with a bunch of her boyfriend's figures to sell (all in box, condition is good). Pictures coming soon... any chance someone might be an aficionado to know if there is any value to them (full sets as well), or if there is anything particular about them that would make them worth more? I know for cards these are called "misprints", no clue what they're called for figures.

Its too bad he didn't have any of Series 6, as Deadpool and Juggernaut from that series are the only real moneygrabbers left when it comes to Legends.

That said here are a few auctions that went for a bit of money (probably not more than what he paid for them though)

Series 5 Set: http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-Legends-...569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4154da18c1

Sentinel BAF: http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-Legends-...481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3363562e81

Gold Iron Man: http://cgi.ebay.com/MARVEL-LEGENDS-...318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33631227ce

Toad: http://cgi.ebay.com/Toad-Marvel-Leg...921?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41550c8c31

Hawkeye: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Toy-Biz-Mar...270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336304d18e

Your best bet for the rest is to cruise ebay for each fig and see, some figures hit a higher price point like Hawkeye because they have never been remade. Its really hit or miss when it comes to figures that aren't from Series 6 or variants. Prices get jacked up moreso for figures that people still really want rather than variants when it comes to Legends. Good luck!

DemiMatt

got a Thumper for my T-800, waiting for the Mini Gun to come!
65876_10150331041560508_747120507_16301118_1460160_n.jpg

War Machine came this month! This figure is awesome! He has amazing mass and the articulated figures are great!
69549_10150331631005508_747120507_16310048_4168382_n.jpg

I got Chris Taylor, T-800 from T1, and the MK4 coming in within a month! Cannot friggin wait for those guys!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DemiMatt said:
War Machine came this month! This figure is awesome! He has amazing mass and the articulated figures are great!
69549_10150331631005508_747120507_16310048_4168382_n.jpg

JAZZ HANDS!

DemiMatt

I got a new harness and knee pads for my Snake Eyes, he looks alotmore Ninjalike versus all the extra clips and stuff on him. I also moved his knife from his leg to the back.

166401_10150358802310508_747120507_16854299_2222816_n.jpg

165234_10150358802520508_747120507_16854309_1518642_n.jpg

Also got Chris Taylor from Platoon, this figure is beyond amazing in detail, having some Team Fortress 2 esque fun with him

163193_10150351199245508_747120507_16677044_4508892_n.jpg

_dementia said:
I really liking the Alicia figure, radiantdreamer

yo! :D

Thanks. Was humming and hawing whether or not to cancel the preorder since it wasn't nearly as cool as the Selvaria figure, but glad I didn't cancel after all.

Takuan

Next in my purchasing queue:

10gbm8p.jpg

I already own the standard versions of these guys, but I can't resist this colour pattern. Love everything these guys put out. For anyone curious, the company is 3A and they create 1/6 and 1/12 versions of characters created by Ashley Wood.

Finally back in the figure market, and it's good to be back! Fuck you unemployment!!!

Here's what I've bought so far:
168309_10150403243500089_519545088_17096946_3986851_n.jpg

Waiting on Bayonetta currently.

180096_10150404058450089_519545088_17115045_4379035_n.jpg

Hot toys Davy Jones. It looks so much better in person. Plus the photo is a bit shit.
I've finally got Ayane Kotobukiya Ninja Gaiden version on it's way so I can finally complete that set. I've got this preordered
max04129.jpg

And I'm looking at acquiring Hot Toys Bank Robber Joker and the DX one. Those will be tough.

How much did you pay for your Ayane? Because I was selling that for like, $25.

Congratz on getting back into the work force! Good way to celebrate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom