• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
oh man oh man Bandai D-Arts announced these new Medabot toys:

hc15D.jpg

That's these guys:

Granbeetle (Medarot Navi):
Grandbeetle.jpg

Arcbeetle-Dash (Medarot 4/Navi):
P_arcbeetle_4.jpg

Warbandit (Medarot 3/4/Navi):
warbandit.gif

Sumilidon (Medarot 2/3/4/2 CORE):
Medabots_koji_and_Sumilidon.jpg

Robo-Emperor (Medarot/2/R/4/2 Core):
tumblr_ln3obdRRlt1qfra6zo1_500.jpg

They also unveiled Rokusho:

wyGKR.jpg

I have both KBT Kotobukiya sets coming my way (they're also working on a Rokusho set), as well as D-Arts Metabee. I need moneyzzz.

teiresias

I own a full set of some FFVII figures (not sure by whom, I'd have to go to my mom's and look), but they're awfully small and undetailed - in keeping with the art style of the game obviously (they aren't AC versions).

In any event, I'm wanting to have maybe two or three figures for my new place (I'm not huge into these things), but would maybe like to pick up something having to do with Final Fantasy XII - which seems a little harder to come by these days obviously. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the quality of the Play Arts action figures that were made for that game, because it seems possible to get them - I'm seeing an Ashe, Gabranth, and Balthier (no interest in Vaan, haha!!).

There's this $500 Gabranth that looks amazing but is way too rich for my blood for this sort of thing.

Anyone have any opinions on those, or has anyone seen them?

SUPARSTARX

I preordered the Hot Toys Superman (based off Christopher Reeves).

Waiting for that new Hot Toys Batman Begins/Bruce Wayne prototype suit one to go on preorder.

HT Superman Pics:
033.jpg

Live photo of Reeves to compared to the sculpt.
rocklean2.jpg

HT Batman Pics:
6a853733gw1dizebijpcgj.jpg

asdcc2011sideshowhottoy.jpg

Photo from Batman Begins
Batman%201%20-%20Begins%20BD%20DTS%201080p%20(2007).mkv%20-%2000001.jpg

SUPARSTARX said:

Waiting for that new Hot Toys Batman Begins/Bruce Wayne prototype suit one to go on preorder.

HT Superman Pics:

Holy crow, that Supes model is amazing.

This is a great thread. As a geek, I have to say figurines are so cool. That said, I don't really feel comfortable owning them myself. They're great to look at in photos and wish to have, but I'm not really willing to dedicate the money or willing to profess my geekiness for all others to see. I do have one figure: revoltech Gurren Lagann (normal version), but that's about as far as I'm willing to go. Having any more than one displayed at a time would be tacky, I think.

bengraven

Okay, that Reeves Superman is the very. best. action figure I've ever seen. Ever.

I want one and I'm not even the biggest fan of the series outside part 1.

SUPARSTARX

I preordered mine from Alteregocomics, they're still taking preorders I think.

Yeah, it's the best looking figure in history I think... the Superman Returns one didn't even look good either. Reeves' Superman HT is definitely done by a better sculptist.
34903215ns2.jpg

Here's another shot of HT Reeves' Superman from a recent Toy Fair
sdcc2011_sideshow_hottoys_38.jpg

SciencePilot said:
This is a great thread. As a geek, I have to say figurines are so cool. That said, I don't really feel comfortable owning them myself. They're great to look at in photos and wish to have, but I'm not really willing to dedicate the money or willing to profess my geekiness for all others to see. I do have one figure: revoltech Gurren Lagann (normal version), but that's about as far as I'm willing to go. Having any more than one displayed at a time would be tacky, I think.
I feel the same way to some extent. I've only started looking at some of these because I accidently Googled upon the Hot Toys' Reeves Superman pics and was just stunned by how well done the sculpt was overall.

I've seen the $200 Iron Man 12" figures done by Hot Toys sitting around stores and I've never understood why people would pay so much for them, but some of these things are quite marvelous work.

I currently don't really have any space to put these on display, for the most part I'm collecting this to either display it somewhere proudly later on in a bigger home or eBay it for 2x-3x the value. Check eBay and see how much people are willing to pay for those Hot Toys Batman Begins/Dark Knight/Joker figures. It's ridiculous. Same goes for the Iron Man Hot Toys. When the Avengers Movie comes out next year, they will blow the hell up too.

SciencePilot said:

I'm interested to know how you maintain that mentality. I can't for the life of me stop buying figures, and it's become both my joy, and my frustrations at the same time. I love owning these figures, but I have too much, and I can't stop buying them. I have been selling figures, but it's not moving as fast as I would like.

Maddness

Thanks to Patrick Roy over in the NEOG Pickup thread, I now know about this one!

One Piece collectors... I want to start my own collection as I've been recently introduced to this series and am madly in love.

I hate small statues though. So are there any big ones? like maybe 8 inches or taller? Also where is the best and most affordable place to start buying these?

I have a lot to catch up on :D

b8HfD.jpg

Forgot to post this over here last month. My first One Piece figure. Usually I'm never in time to order the P.O.P. figures but I got lucky with this one. Still want to get the crew but I'm just extremely hesitant to order from eBay since I've seen how many counterfeits there are.

Maddness said:
Thanks to Patrick Roy over in the NEOG Pickup thread, I now know about this one!

One Piece collectors... I want to start my own collection as I've been recently introduced to this series and am madly in love.

I hate small statues though. So are there any big ones? like maybe 8 inches or taller? Also where is the best and most affordable place to start buying these?

I have a lot to catch up on :D

As I posted above this is only my first figure so I'm not a collector but I've always loved the Portrait of Pirates line of One Piece figures. Now that I have one first hand they're extremely detailed. Perona can hold the umbrella behind her as well so I'm assuming at least some of the other figures have multiple poses.

Maddness

VGChampion said:
b8HfD.jpg

Forgot to post this over here last month. My first One Piece figure. Usually I'm never in time to order the P.O.P. figures but I got lucky with this one. Still want to get the crew but I'm just extremely hesitant to order from eBay since I've seen how many counterfeits there are.

As I posted above this is only my first figure so I'm not a collector but I've always loved the Portrait of Pirates line of One Piece figures. Now that I have one first hand they're extremely detailed. Perona can hold the umbrella behind her as well so I'm assuming at least some of the other figures have multiple poses.

So basically the PoP line is the best One Piece line. Sounds like they're the same way as Art of War's Berserk line. Limited runs and quickly sold. So am I stuck to ebay searching to get the main cast etc?

Giolon

Maddness said:
So basically the PoP line is the best One Piece line. Sounds like they're the same way as Art of War's Berserk line. Limited runs and quickly sold. So am I stuck to ebay searching to get the main cast etc?

Not necessarily b/c they make new figures of the main cast all the time. I just saw a new Nico Robin announced recently: http://www.nekomagic.com/?p=25729

You're only going to run into problems if you want a specific already released figure or a limited edition, event-exclusive figure.

My best advice to you is this though: preorder, Preorder, PREORDER. If you see a figure you really want, PREORDER IT, especially with these One Piece ones. Don't rely on being able to pick it up after it releases b/c that may not be the case. My favorite retailer is AmiAmi (http://www.amiami.jp/shop?set=english), but HobbySearch is great too (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng).

Maddness

Giolon said:
Not necessarily b/c they make new figures of the main cast all the time. I just saw a new Nico Robin announced recently: http://www.nekomagic.com/?p=25729

You're only going to run into problems if you want a specific already released figure or a limited edition, event-exclusive figure.

My best advice to you is this though: preorder, Preorder, PREORDER. If you see a figure you really want, PREORDER IT, especially with these One Piece ones. Don't rely on being able to pick it up after it releases b/c that may not be the case. My favorite retailer is AmiAmi (http://www.amiami.jp/shop?set=english), but HobbySearch is great too (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng).

Sweet! thanks for the info. Yea. I do this with Art of War. I love my Berserk statues, but I guess I'm going to have to start doing this with One Piece.

I really want the crew in their original gear, but it seems like I'm going to be spending at least upwards of $220 to get Luffy alone. Who knows what Sanji and Zoro are.

Leunam

zmoney said:
Figurine-GAF, any suggestions on where to get good quality Gundam figures?

As _dementia said, gundamstoreandmore.com. I've never had a problem with them. If for some reason something is out of stock there, you can also check hobbywave.com. Are you looking for models you have to build or statues?

Pollux

Leunam said:
As _dementia said, gundamstoreandmore.com. I've never had a problem with them. If for some reason something is out of stock there, you can also check hobbywave.com. Are you looking for models you have to build or statues?
Preferably statues, I have no skill building models.

xXJonoXx

SUPARSTARX said:

HT Batman Pics:
6a853733gw1dizebijpcgj.jpg

asdcc2011sideshowhottoy.jpg

Just a heads up, this figure goes on preorder tomorrow at 10am PST on Sideshowtoy.com for $225.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I was going to pre-order the new Madoka figurine but it was $70. Ruined my whole day knowing I didn't have enough money. I need a cc.

mrkgoo

Ok, I'm sort of out of my element here, but my brother has been buying up on Hot Toys, and while it's not really my thing, I was taking some pics of them, because they look pretty darned cool:

SUPARSTARX

xXJonoXx said:
Just a heads up, this figure goes on preorder tomorrow at 10am PST on Sideshowtoy.com for $225.
yeah, I got my preorder it. It's hotness. can't wait!

I ordered a few more figures and I'm trying to find some rare stuff.

Picked up ENTERBAY's Donnie Yen series: Ip Man & Chen Zhen (Legend of the Fist)
Ip Man
IMG_2442.jpg

Chen Zhen
enterbay-masterpiece-chen-zhen-04.jpg
enterbay-masterpiece-chen-zhen-061.jpg

enterbay-masterpiece-chen-zhen-09.jpg

Iron Monkey Yen (I think)
donnie-yen-361913.jpg

The Chen Zhen movie isn't great aside from a few fight scenes but this figure is pretty awesome in itself. Thinking of picking up an extra spare figure body with head to fit the second outfit on instead of switching them around. Hot stuff!

cajunator

Banned
Ken said:
I'm guessing it's this one:

FIG-MOE-3886.jpg
Well, I know what Im buying. That and a Homura figure.

By the way, I bought this one last year. Does anyone else have this Momihime figure from Alter? It is stunning. I highly recommend picking this one up if you are a fan of the Muramasa Wii game.
54b42b4f06dec41fc43baf8f618b54b9.jpg

SUPARSTARX

Like a bosssssssss

s2smr8.jpg

The detail is so good. Too bad I don't have any good cameras to high light how finely crafted these things are.

bkw

cajunator said:
Well, I know what Im buying. That and a Homura figure.

By the way, I bought this one last year. Does anyone else have this Momihime figure from Alter? It is stunning. I highly recommend picking this one up if you are a fan of the Muramasa Wii game.
http://www.kidnemo.fm/cgm/ecommerce/kidnemo/images/large/54b42b4f06dec41fc43baf8f618b54b9.jpg

Damn, every time I see that Momohime figure I want it. That and the GSC Saber Lily. Alas, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger.

cajunator

Banned
F-uuuuuu.
Momohime is going for 200 bucks on ebay. I paid about $100 for her.
Figurine costs are pretty ridiculous. It's almost worth it to just fork over the 70 bucks or whatever now so you don't have to take a shellacking later.

I also have this one of Lala Satalin Deiluke from TOLOVERU
3106475026_be28e4ee81.jpg

And this one of Dark Magician Girl from YugiOh
black-magician-1.jpg

gokieks

bkw said:
Damn, every time I see that Momohime figure I want it. That and the GSC Saber Lily. Alas, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger.

Both are excellent, especially the GSC Saber Lily (Distant Avalon - the other two look less impressive to me). Well worth the money (well, the original pricing at any rate, not sure what their going rate is now). Momohime is also very good - I'm generally not too fond of a lot of Alter's figures (compared to GSC especially), but I'm happy with that one.

mrkgoo said:
Ok, I'm sort of out of my element here, but my brother has been buying up on Hot Toys, and while it's not really my thing, I was taking some pics of them, because they look pretty darned cool:

Awesome photographs! Could you share your lighting setup?

cajunator said:
Does anyone else have this Momihime figure from Alter? It is stunning. I highly recommend picking this one up if you are a fan of the Muramasa Wii game.

Yeah, still one of my favorite figures! :D
If you like Vanillaware figures:

collection2011_01_10.jpg

Both of these figures are incredible, and look amazing together. I'm waiting for a Velvet if Alter will ever release one...

Other great figures:
collection2011_01_26.jpg

07.jpg

(review of her here: http://radiantdreamer.net/2010/08/26/clalaclan-–-beauty-in-armor/

wingedlily.jpg

darklily.jpg

Kletian

zmoney said:
so suggestions for gundam figures? not models....

Check into the Robot Damashii line from Bandai. Super articulated not-models for a good amount of Gundams.

But if you want something larger than 6in scale you're probably out of luck for the most part.

Pollux

Kletian said:
Check into the Robot Damashii line from Bandai. Super articulated not-models for a good amount of Gundams.

But if you want something larger than 6in scale you're probably out of luck for the most part.
Cool...Thanks for the info. Too bad there aren't any ceramic figures or anything like some of the anime characters that have been posted in this thread.

mrkgoo

SUPARSTARX said:
Like a bosssssssss

The detail is so good. Too bad I don't have any good cameras to high light how finely crafted these things are.

Just look up a few posts ;)

radiantdreamer said:
Awesome photographs! Could you share your lighting setup?

I don't have a shot of it at the moment, but it's nothing fancy. A long time ago, I made a light box consisting of a frame, a roll of white paper, white wrapping tissue covering the frame and two desklamps on either side.

It was based on something like this:
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Since, however, I've moved on, and use a proper, but still cheap, light box, which is essentially the same idea, except it folds up. I still use two desklamps on either side, and another lamp which I use to illuminate above or in front. The bulbs are all 5000K daylight white.

SUPARSTARX

Picked up my ENTERBAY Ip Man today. Pretty good detail. Only complaint is that I feel his neck is too long, but a little adjustment to the attire could hide it a bit.

35anmsk.jpg

2mdkjt1.jpg

"Wing Chun. Yip Man."
2mm9t11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom