• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Anastacio said:
Are there any high quality Metal Gear Solid, Tekken and Jak & Daxter figures out there I can order?

For metal gear it depends on how much you are willing to spend. The Play Arts figure by Square Enix are pretty good and are priced at $50, here's a link to a store.
If you want really high end stuff you can go for the Real Action Heroes (RAH) line by medicom but those are 150$ and pretty hard to find new now, I think. Scalpers can help you find them but then you'll have to accept their horrible prices.
I don't think there are any good quality Tekken figures, only statues. Ans not sure if any Jak figures exist at all.

SUPARSTARX

Anastacio said:
Are there any high quality Metal Gear Solid, Tekken and Jak & Daxter figures out there I can order?
Yeah, in addition to what was posted above, Hot Toys is coming out with MGS stuff. From the pictures I've posted... Hot Toys is quality stuff. Looking forward to seeing what they have.

There is a custom branded one that came out recently

http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-from-newsoul-metal-boss-bdu-version.html

Obviously they couldn't name it Metal Gear for licensing and copy right issues but that's a very well done figure based on Snake.

Giolon

The revised Liara Bishoujo is up for order at your favorite retailers (AmiAmi, HobbySearch, HobbyLink):

LiaraFinal.jpg

Now with smaller, but pointier boobs!

Welp I still suck with a camera and didn't find a good backdrop so here are some lousy cropped pics.

The detail on the Big Boss figure is incredible. But the articulation is almost nonexistent.
bboss1wu5h.jpg

bboss24u3q.jpg

And the SHF Cyclone Joker. Best pose I could come up with. I don't think it's as amazing as the SHF Garo but I still like it.
joukaaaaahhmu0v.jpg

Giolon

MCD said:
I hate these Bishoujo's faces. It's like they pour all the makeup in the world over them.
I find this comment weird considering they generally only have lipstick and eyeshadow at most. Some even have none (like Black Cat & Psylocke).
List of all Bishoujos w/ variants

The original Shunya artwork frequently look as if the faces have makeup, but it almost never makes it into the final figure.

What bugs me more is that they all look so typical Shunya. It looked okay with his original character designs, but these licenses with such drastically different faces from the original make it ever more obvious that Shunya's style is "all the same shit".

Probably not gonna buy Liara because the Shunya + Liara thing just doesn't seem to work.

A bit tired of it now, I guess...?

SUPARSTARX

Waiting for the Street Fighter x Bishoujo reveal first before dipping into this brand. :3

I kind of want to also pick up the Tekken x Bishoujo ones. Christie, Asuka, and Alisa announced so far I think. Also needs Nina, Anna, Ling, and LILI.

Maddness

When I'm looking to buy these POP figures off Ebay and stuff, what differences do I look for to tell they are knock offs? I don't' want to spend 200 bucks on a rip.

Is Ebay/Craigslist the only place I can find older editions of POP? It's like a pain in the dick trying to find these guys, but I. WANT. THEM.

SUPARSTARX

IMO, wait for the Sailing Again series if you're looking to get the main characters. Nami, Luffy, Chopper, and Zoro are announced so far.

Just opened up my Play Arts Kai Ezio. Frickin gorgeous figure; I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow when I have good lighting. Probably iPhone pics though. The level of detail on this figure is outstanding.

Giolon

I've given up any hope at trying to get any of these things T&B figures. They sell out in minutes in the middle of the night when I'm asleep.

I am still praying that my friend who's wife actually works at Bandai's toy and figure division as a designer (most recently working on Kamen Rider and Precure lines) will be able to somehow snag me one.

I've seen what the rest of the cast looks like in figure form and they look great.

Loxley

I have a Superman statue that's similar to this one;

But words cannot describe how badly I want Hot Toys' Chris Reeve Superman :(

Some day...

Giolon said:
I've given up any hope at trying to get any of these things T&B figures. They sell out in minutes in the middle of the night when I'm asleep.

I am still praying that my friend who's wife actually works at Bandai's toy and figure division as a designer (most recently working on Kamen Rider and Precure lines) will be able to somehow snag me one.

I've seen what the rest of the cast looks like in figure form and they look great.

Lucky. :p

Maybe someone can help me in this thread.

I'm wondering if there's a Tony Stark/Iron Man figure that you can take the armor off and on. Not just the helmet though, I mean the whole shebang.

SUPARSTARX

NintendoGal said:
Maybe someone can help me in this thread.

I'm wondering if there's a Tony Stark/Iron Man figure that you can take the armor off and on. Not just the helmet though, I mean the whole shebang.
You mean where you can pull out Tony Stark's body out of the suit? None.

Hot Toys has a Mark II suit where you can remove a bunch of the armor plating off. Majority of these are semi-armor removable and you can swap head/body parts.

If you're up, Figuarts Sky High should be up for pre-order momentarily. Amiami has already been taken down ahead of the pre-order opening from traffic.

SUPARSTARX said:
You mean where you can pull out Tony Stark's body out of the suit? None.

Hot Toys has a Mark II suit where you can remove a bunch of the armor plating off. Majority of these are semi-armor removable and you can swap head/body parts.

That's really lame and unfortunate. Wonder why this hasn't been made yet.

panda21

i never thought i would say this but after a trip to japan i'm kind of into figures now. i just looked around some shops out of interest, not expecting to be that into it, but some of the mechs and other stuff are pretty cool. also the demographic in the shops is refreshingly balanced over there, and the figures are reasonably priced.

some of the armored core figures were super cool looking, but they were the most expensive. i'm not sure if those are the kind you build with glue like a model plane? or if they snap together or something?

i got some revoltech figures in the end after looking up the prices online and realising they would cost about 2 or 3 times more to buy them outside of Japan! can't wait to play around with them a bit.

NEO0MJ

panda21 said:
some of the armored core figures were super cool looking, but they were the most expensive. i'm not sure if those are the kind you build with glue like a model plane? or if they snap together or something?

Armored core figures are mostly snap on, but there are parts that will benefit greatly from using glue. However they are pretty complex and somewhat fragile so if you've never built any model kits before I wouldn't go for them just yet.

NintendoGal said:
That's really lame and unfortunate. Wonder why this hasn't been made yet.

Nah, if they made one that's detachable to a normal body. The armor would look chunky and not as sleek as it does now. Since you would have to enlarge certain bits to compensate for little teeth nubs to snap the front and the back together. Also some parts, such as joints, would need some kind of flexible rubber sleeves to compensate for the movements.

At the end, it would end up looking like the Mego Iron Man. =p

PCr7z.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's some new camera capsule toys at the 7-11 by my work. So I added some new accessories to my "Gorilla Warfare Obama" XD

REozK.jpg

epj0a.jpg

iI4lj.jpg

WVCow.jpg

So, any news on the Samus Aran figma and statue? I want it yesterday.

Also, I finished this little thing:

QlGAK.jpg

A sweet little model kit that I found on Yahoo Auctions.

NEO0MJ

NihonTiger90 said:
Just posted this on my site, but holy shit:

rex4-noscale.jpg

(via ThreeA Toys' 3Avox newsletter)

Nice. At first I thought they canceled it considering how long we went without information.
Have to admit, I hope they keep the clean look. It would fit better with my collection that way.

Edit: i just noticed that it's release date is very close to the Fewture Black Getter and the Hot Toys Iron Monger. Pretty worrying.

Uchip

Banned
Zaptruder said:
This is such an exceptionally nice costume... I just... I just couldn't have a busty figure with a blue alien head in my room.

I just don't go that way you know?

If you dont like mass effect you wouldnt get it anyway

cityhunter said:
Nah, if they made one that's detachable to a normal body. The armor would look chunky and not as sleek as it does now. Since you would have to enlarge certain bits to compensate for little teeth nubs to snap the front and the back together. Also some parts, such as joints, would need some kind of flexible rubber sleeves to compensate for the movements.

If I wanted something that looks good, I'd go for a sculpt. I just want to play with something like it! XD

NEO0MJ

PjotrStroganov said:
This is a first for the Rex no? I like it but it does seem a bit too clean.

First Rex figure ever, an they'll follow it up with a Ray figure. And this is actually just the unpainted prototype, the retail version will probably be chocked with 3A's signature weathering effects. This is the old version 3A showed a while back, will probably look really close.

MG-Rex-6.jpg

More pics of the figure.

Takuan

3A is an amazing company. I've been buying Ashley Wood's figures over the past year and a half or so. They're expensive, but well worth the money, especially if you appreciate final products turning out just as good as the prototype shots. The detail in their work is simply amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom