• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackheim

I've been thinking about getting my nephew one of those Yamato Macross Valkyries. He's 8½ and I'm wondering in the build quality of them would be able to stand up to an 8 year old. I know there are the 1/60 scale and 1/48 scales with the 1/60s having at least 2 iterations with the latest being generally favored over the prior one(s). The 1/48s as far as I can tell have only one production run/model build.

So, would any of them make a good toy, and not just a posable/transformable model?

681f7b7egw1dnan7387jlj.jpg

where and how much?

I've been thinking about getting my nephew one of those Yamato Macross Valkyries. He's 8½ and I'm wondering in the build quality of them would be able to stand up to an 8 year old. I know there are the 1/60 scale and 1/48 scales with the 1/60s having at least 2 iterations with the latest being generally favored over the prior one(s). The 1/48s as far as I can tell have only one production run/model build.

So, would any of them make a good toy, and not just a posable/transformable model?

*thinks about it for a second*

He's 8, right? Regardless of the quality, it's going to be in pieces in 6 months, tops, unfortunately.

SUPARSTARX

where and how much?

Mad $$$.

Straight from ENTERBAY www.Enterbay.com (Hong Kong), $400 total (incl. shipping). Should take around 5 to 7 business days from the time they ship out. It's still on preorder status and should be shipping officially to the states any day now.

www.Bigbadtoystore.com $400 and slightly extra shipping from them.

I don't know anywhere else taking preorders for this at the moment. If you're in the U.K., I think www.Onesixthbruce.co.uk is shipping soon.

Blackheim

*thinks about it for a second*

He's 8, right? Regardless of the quality, it's going to be in pieces in 6 months, tops, unfortunately.

Well, as much as I'd like to get him one (hell, I always wanted a Valkyrie/Veritech myself as a kid in the '80s), your answer doesn't disappoint me too much though. Those things are expensive :p

Well, those old G1 Transformers were built like tanks. I put them through hell as a kid and the most that usually happened was some chipped paint haha. Too bad toys these days aren't made like that.

I have a few of the 1/48 VF-1s and an 8½ year old would probably demolish these things. They're definitely figures for the experienced transforming toy collector. Not to mention they cost a heck of a lot.

Blackheim

I have a few of the 1/48 VF-1s and an 8½ year old would probably demolish these things. They're definitely figures for the experienced transforming toy collector. Not to mention they cost a heck of a lot.

Oh well, maybe later then. He loves jets and likes the Valkyries and the gerwalk pose since I've shown him some Robotech. I had bought him a transformable Revoltech VF, and yeah that thing is probably in pieces in various parts of his room. Those things are so ... dainty heh.

Oh well, maybe later then. He loves jets and likes the Valkyries and the gerwalk pose since I've shown him some Robotech. I had bought him a transformable Revoltech VF, and yeah that thing is probably in pieces in various parts of his room. Those things are so ... dainty heh.
Honestly, the most durable Veritech/Valkyrie for him would probably be a reissue of the old Takatoku/Bandai figure. Everything else released in the past few years has been aimed at the adult collector market and probably wouldn't stand up to child abuse, even the more affordable Toynami 1/100 Valkyries from a couple years back.

Blackheim

Honestly, the most durable Veritech/Valkyrie for him would probably be a reissue of the old Takatoku/Bandai figure. Everything else released in the past few years has been aimed at the adult collector market and probably wouldn't stand up to child abuse, even the more affordable Toynami 1/100 Valkyries from a couple years back.

Just looked them up. The repainted Valk -> Jetfire toy, awesome! Still crazy expensive, but something that might fit the bill, thank you :D

Those actually look pretty great. I've got no interest in the source material but I like the quality, especially given the size, as you've said.

----------------------------

For anyone who wants to see the differences between Jehuty v.1 and the newer Jehuty v.2 Revoltechs.

c4Ajq.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone ever bought any Project BM(lol) figures before? I don't collect the sentai stuff anymore, but I want to go out on a bang with a big, quality figure

SUPARSTARX

I finally finished building my MG 00 Gundam Seven Sword/G. I bought the kit for about a month and haven't opened it until recently. I haven't built any Gundam kits for quite some time, my last one was a 1/60 Exia about maybe three years ago along with an MG Gundam Wing Zero previously.

Still need to get some sand paper for the nubs, panel line the visible parts, decals and get some battery cells for the LED lights.

Gimmicky but holy fuck they charge an assload of money for these tiny LED capsules. And the worst part is they don't include any batteries to go with it. They cost an average of $18 for two tiny LED parts. TWO. FOR EIGHTEEN. They're in the second picture still in plastic on the right side.

And this kit has no base. So I ended up buying a sparkling green action base for $12.

6458435193_c987b0e89d_b.jpg

6458434899_6839242bb8_b.jpg

Outside of Yahoo Auction japan, where else would be the best place to buy second hand figures? I'm determined to finish my yoko collection >:x

Boogiepop

I'm really liking the Figuarts Zero line myself. Whitebeard in particular is really, really awesome. Also, anyone know how the Figuarts Zero compare size wise to the Portrait of Pirates line? I'm half considering picking up the POP for Chopper as he's still pretty cheap, but if the size difference is pretty big it may not be worth it for me.

SUPARSTARX

I'm really liking the Figuarts Zero line myself. Whitebeard in particular is really, really awesome. Also, anyone know how the Figuarts Zero compare size wise to the Portrait of Pirates line? I'm half considering picking up the POP for Chopper as he's still pretty cheap, but if the size difference is pretty big it may not be worth it for me.

The Portrait of Pirates line are a few inches taller. They're 1/8 scaled. The detailing on them are very top notch as well.

SUPARSTARX

lol, Samurai Predator is something else.

There's a lot of stuff coming out next year for people with deep pockets.

Off the top of my head, since I'm pretty new to collecting some of this stuff, there's going to be tons of stuff coming out from these companies

HOT TOYS
Iron Man
Batman 1989
The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Predators
Predators 2
Captain America
Pirates of the Carribean

ENTERBAY
Rocky
Kamen Rider
Robocop
Rambo III
The Dark Knight
Terminator 2
Bruce Lee

NECA
Rocky

PLAY ARTS KAI
Street Fighter IV
Metal Gear Solid
Batman Arkham Asylum

S.H.FIGUARTS
Dragon Ball Z - Vegeta, Future Trunks, SSJ3 Goku

KOTOBUKIYA
Tekken Bishoujo
Street Fighter Bishoujo
DC & Marvel Bishoujo continuation

DROOLS******

There's a lot of stuff coming out next year for people with deep pockets.

Off the top of my head, since I'm pretty new to collecting some of this stuff, there's going to be tons of stuff coming out from these companies

HOT TOYS
Iron Man
Batman 1989
The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Predators
Predators 2
Captain America
Pirates of the Carribean

ENTERBAY
Rocky
Kamen Rider
Robocop
Rambo III
The Dark Knight
Terminator 2
Bruce Lee

NECA
Rocky

PLAY ARTS KAI
Street Fighter IV
Metal Gear Solid
Batman Arkham Asylum

S.H.FIGUARTS
Dragon Ball Z - Vegeta, Future Trunks, SSJ3 Goku

KOTOBUKIYA
Tekken Bishoujo
Street Fighter Bishoujo
DC & Marvel Bishoujo continuation

DROOLS******

Definitely interested in Kotobukiya's SF and Tekken stuff.

Yeah, thy were supposed to be out this year, right? I really hope they weren't canceled or anything. I would have bought both.

That's what I thought. That that were supposed to be out in November or something? I haven't heard shit in months though so I'm kind of hoping they weren't canned. They were awesome. ;_;

Secondly, I hope there's more news on that Samus Aran figma too. That's the other one I haven't seen much about in a while.

Luigi87

With all the still coming Play-Arts, and PAK, I wonder why they still haven't announced any Birth by Sleep PAs... I want Aqua, dammit >.<

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Hachikuji arrived at my doorstep 2 days ago to finish off my Bakemonogatari collection
dsc00699d2b4f.jpg

Giolon

Hachikuji arrived at my doorstep 2 days ago to finish off my Bakemonogatari collection
dsc00699d2b4f.jpg
WTF you mean finished? You can't call it that without Kanbaru sitting on her pile of books! My friend has it on his desk at work and it's awesome.

There's also Nadeko in the pond but nobody cares about her.

NEO0MJ

Oh god, I broke my Ikaruga kit! I was just fixing it's pose when it decided to slip from it's stand and crash to the ground. The parts that connect the wings to the body got broken =(

Gamble

My brother dropped off a huge box of stuff from my mom's house that belonged to me I was going through it and found this still in the original box though the box was torn to shreads the figure is in great condition I remember buying it when I was a kid from a local EB Games so many years ago......*nostalgia*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom