• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedline

Banned
Play-Asia.

The figure comes with three different images that you can put under the base...two TTT2 logos and Harada's autograph, lol.

bcW6wl.jpg
42oLM.jpg

onKfMl.jpg
bN7Zel.jpg

Must have!

NEO0MJ

Still not done with my Takemikazuchi Type-00F but I wanted to show this after toying around with what I've finished.

mk1.png

Man it's been painful, but I feel it will end up rewarding =)

You guys are high. Play Arts are fucking great. Large figures with tons of posability and great sculpts (for the most part), what's not the love? Then again I've always been a fan of larger figures over Figma or Revoltech. I'd kill for a Play Arts Samus over a Figma. KILL.

And yes they are pricey but if you don't mind waiting an extra 2 months or so, Square Enix releases pretty much all their Play Arts figures through Diamond Comics so you can get it domestically and at a cheaper price.

Lyte Edge good shit on Christie. SO happy she came out good. Bishoujo are hit and miss for me but Christie looks great. You guys have no idea how long I've been waiting for quailty tekken figures. I just hope they make all the Tekken Tag 2 ladies. The only characters they have yet to announce are Nina, Anna, Jun, Zafina, and Leo. Now if we could just get a Soul Calibur line going as well.

Do Play Arts still use that cheap clear plastic for the joints? Back when they first started the figures were so damn fragile. Arms and legs breaking right out of the package. Auron from FFX was pretty much a guaranteed break.

Takuan

PlayArts need to get better face sculptors. That Meryl is a perfect example. They generally do well when it comes to anything with a mask, however - I thought their halo figures looked spectacular, as did their release of Gabranth. Literally every figure that has a face in plain sight looks cheap; they pay far too little attention to the face compared to the body and outfit.

Their MGS Ninja figure looks incredible and I will probably have to buy one. They probably would've done a good Samus as well, provided she had her mask on.

You guys are high. Play Arts are fucking great. Large figures with tons of posability and great sculpts (for the most part), what's not the love? Then again I've always been a fan of larger figures over Figma or Revoltech. I'd kill for a Play Arts Samus over a Figma. KILL.

And yes they are pricey but if you don't mind waiting an extra 2 months or so, Square Enix releases pretty much all their Play Arts figures through Diamond Comics so you can get it domestically and at a cheaper price.

Domestic Sam Gideon is still $69.99 :(

I've got the Play Arts Kai Ezio and I think the face looks pretty good. Not out of this world or anything, but pretty good.

D-Arts Zero Type 2. Click for more new images. Looks awesome, definitely have to get this one.

Domestic Sam Gideon is still $69.99 :(
Where did you see this price? The Vanquish Play Arts figures haven't even been solicited to retailers yet so I don't know where that price would come from. Must be a Japanese import.

For example, Play Arts Batman is about $75 USD at Japanese retail before shipping. Diamond has it listed with an MSRP of $59.99.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Good thread! Haven't bought anything in a while (too broke, ahh) but maybe soon enough. Also used to run pivishi.tumblr if anyone ever visited that.

Any MFC people here? myfigurecollection.net/profile/ponpo

Damn. Some of these Gundams have an awesome design. I always want to buy one but the building and painting part scares me off. :( Or that I have no clue what I would buying because I haven't seen any episode of the anime.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Damn. Some of these Gundams have an awesome design. I always want to buy one but the building and painting part scares me off. :( Or that I have no clue what I would buying because I haven't seen any episode of the anime.

Most don't need painting and the building is pretty fun and not really difficult.

Get something with fewer parts to try and test it out.

umejU.jpg

Most don't need painting and the building is pretty fun and not really difficult.

Get something with fewer parts to try and test it out.
I'll order Kotobukiya's Jehuty Plastic kit this week. If it is too difficult for me, I'm going to put it away and buy some easy Plastic kit. I played Warhammer 40k, I have some plastic kit experience.

About Square Enix's Play-Arts series. I like them. The figures are looking awesome and definitely like my 3 Halo ones. But unfortunately I have a nightmare story with the Master Chief.(It still looks awesome, nothing you can't argue against it) But they used a wrong part on the left side(for comparison the right side, it's part on both sides), the left shoulder pad felt off by taking it out from the case. But overall I want more. Sam is on my list already. :)

NEO0MJ

I'll order Kotobukiya's Jehuty Plastic kit this week. If it is too difficult for me, I'm going to put it away and buy some easy Plastic kit. I played Warhammer 40k, I have some plastic kit experience.

I'd really suggest not getting that(or rather, not building it right away) if you didn't have much experience with mecha model kits before. Koto's stuff are really complex and fragile and really require a lot of inking. Get one of the newer Gundam 1/144 HG kits if you want something to practice with first.

I'd really suggest not getting that(or rather, not building it right away) if you didn't have much experience with mecha model kits before. Koto's stuff are really complex and fragile and really require a lot of inking. Get one of the newer Gundam 1/144 HG kits if you want something to practice with first.
Okay. But I want to have it before it is sold out.

S. L.

bit of a long shot, but i'm looking to sell my MG Sinanju. (have too many kits and need some space)
img_1303_by1kv8.jpg

i'ts in yellow!
Has the Neograde resin option parts (bazookas, some metal verniers and more detailed parts all around - see pic 3 and here http://www.neograde.com/shop/step1.php?number=596 )
Also custom made black decals, airbrush painted and a glossy polyurethane coating. All in all it should be pretty unique.
You can see a bit of the build process and more pics here:
http://sl-blag.blogspot.com/search/label/Sinanju

Primarily looking to get the material costs back in, pm if you are interested.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Amen to that koto-being-harder stuff. Gunpla is easy mode. I actually just realized the three kits I had the most problems with because of extremely small parts are all Koto (an Armored Core unit, unit from Ikaruga, and a Virtual On unit.

Not the biggest fan of kits anyway.

M9kCN.jpg

Random photo of my desk at work (took it yesterday):
7a29512a.jpg

Also, HLJ shipped my P4 figure but alas, I won't be able to receive it as I'm going on a trip until the 20th of February (leaving tomorrow). Luckily though it's being shipped to my office and that's where it'll be staying anyways.

amiami says japan only. Is that normal?
Yeah thats normal.

I usually go with SAL unregistered. With amiami its never taken more than 10 days to get to me(Northern California) which is pretty damn fast. HLJ used to take about 21-23 days when I used SAL.
So I'm just now about to put down a preorder for Samus so can someone please elaborate on this for me? Because their site clearly says this

Please note that most products are generally manufactured for the Japanese domestic market, and some items may be strictly for sale and use within Japan. Orders containing items that are unavailable for sale overseas will be automatically canceled and the customer notified.
I'm a little confused as to what to do.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So I'm just now about to put down a preorder for Samus so can someone please elaborate on this for me? Because their site clearly says this

I'm a little confused as to what to do.

Generally if it lets you add to cart and proceed with the checkout it should be fine. I've never heard of anyone having an issue and even if there was, all that would happen is a canceled order.

Amen to that koto-being-harder stuff. Gunpla is easy mode. I actually just realized the three kits I had the most problems with because of extremely small parts are all Koto (an Armored Core unit, unit from Ikaruga, and a Virtual On unit.

Not the biggest fan of kits anyway.

M9kCN.jpg

Which figure is this? Looks awesome!

Anyone else have issue with the velcro on Sideshow figures? Got a NIB Beachhead GI Joe fig, great piece but lot of the velcro on it just does not stick together so like on the backpack I got some flaps that just stick up and are annoying. I got Firefly while back and the velcro worked flawlessly on him, but Beachhead seems to be full of crappy velro, or my fig is just funky from storage? They are really little pads.

And just put in my preorder for the upcoming Baroness: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=3000801&ref=home_new

22 inches tall.... nice

SUPARSTARX

Got FAZ Doflamingo yesterday along with my G.E.M. Edward Elric.

A little botch on one of the exchangeable head's shades. Everything else is pretty cleanly painted for the most part.
6804573807_fc8ed16d5e_b.jpg

6804572019_6b20985866_b.jpg

6804573127_f322ff73e3_b.jpg

6804572681_dd7fb65112_b.jpg

6804572281_ece5d60f45_b.jpg

And a lil dazzling photoshop
6804573277_c8363295cf_o.png

6804573417_8884a15789_o.png

Maddness

I hit up Mandarake.co.jp for all of this stuff.

I'm about to throw down some cash money on this place. I'm assuming it's like a craigslist for shops with wear and tear items or something?

For the most part have you had any real complaints about anything you've bought off here?

SUPARSTARX

I'm about to throw down some cash money on this place. I'm assuming it's like a craigslist for shops with wear and tear items or something?

For the most part have you had any real complaints about anything you've bought off here?

I think they're a large chain of collectible stores in Japan. There's a few locations so the listings you see are stuff they get in somehow. Most of the things I've seen are unopened but may have some wear and tear on the box which takes off a few bucks here and there.

So far I've received one package and it's in good shape. I still have bout three things coming in but I placed those orders separately between 2-3 weeks.

The packaging I've experienced so far is stuffed with newspapers and the cardboard box they use is kinda thick so I am not too worried about damage during shipment.

If you put in an order, make sure you are going to commit to it and try to get items closely together in the same store. They will add 500yen handling fee to everything. So you're looking at say something's 2000yen, well now it's 2500yen and a little bit more for how much the package will weigh with EMS or SAL.

Maddness

I think they're a large chain of collectible stores in Japan. There's a few locations so the listings you see are stuff they get in somehow. Most of the things I've seen are unopened but may have some wear and tear on the box which takes off a few bucks here and there.

So far I've received one package and it's in good shape. I still have bout three things coming in but I placed those orders separately between 2-3 weeks.

The packaging I've experienced so far is stuffed with newspapers and the cardboard box they use is kinda thick so I am not too worried about damage during shipment.

If you put in an order, make sure you are going to commit to it and try to get items closely together in the same store. They will add 500yen handling fee to everything. So you're looking at say something's 2000yen, well now it's 2500yen and a little bit more for how much the package will weigh with EMS or SAL.

Awesome. I appreciate the info. I don't really buy a lot of statues/figures except for Art of War Berserk ones and now I HAVE to have Portrait of Pirates statues. So this seems like the best option for my crying wallet.

I don't know if I'll ever get Vivi or Carue though. Sooooo expensive.

Takuan

Is there a go-to toys site for release news and whatnot? I always read about these figures coming out in Japan that I know will see US release (e.g. PlayArts figures), but sometimes I forget about them and by the time I remember they'll already have released and sold out.

I mostly prefer Japanese market figures because they're generally higher quality, but as long as the site covers PlayArts releases I'm golden. I don't care about the ero bishoujo type stuff, so preferably one that isn't dedicated to figures of that nature would be preferable.

SUPARSTARX

For Japanese releases... if you want stuff for about the same price but maybe cheaper sometimes because of preorders...

Amiami.com
Hlj.com
1999.co.jp
Otacute
biginjapan - this site usually takes payment on order

P.O.P. Shirahoshi is up for pre order next week. Gotta stay up. I won't be collecting all the POPs but just the girls. I'm likely going to focus a lot of my OP stuff on Figuarts ZERO and POP

Takuan

For Japanese releases... if you want stuff for about the same price but maybe cheaper sometimes because of preorders...

Amiami.com
Hlj.com
1999.co.jp
Otacute
biginjapan - this site usually takes payment on order

P.O.P. Shirahoshi is up for pre order next week. Gotta stay up. I won't be collecting all the POPs but just the girls. I'm likely going to focus a lot of my OP stuff on Figuarts ZERO and POP
Yeah, I've used Amiami in the past to purchase toys (they've consistently been the cheapest for me, and for whatever reason I never pay duty on what I order), but I was looking for a Western blog or just a toys site that keeps on top of figures/toys coming out in North America - Japanese toy coverage is fine, just as long as they also cover Western releases. Two figures I'm primarily interested in are NECA's RE: Raccoon City Vector, and PlayArts' Cyborg Ninja from the PSOne MGS. The latter doesn't have a North American release date yet, as far as Google can tell me, but I imagine all of their major franchise releases will see Western shores.

P.O.P. stuff is awesome. Figuarts Zero is nice, too. You just reminded me to check up on the Crocodile figure. I didn't think it was possible to out-do the badassery of the P.O.P. figure, but I love their take on him. He just looks so much more sinister.

Edit: Damn it, he's sold out on AmiAmi. Guess I'll check the alternatives, thanks for that list.

Omg, dat FAZ Smoker. Also sold out.

Tomopop is a pretty decent figure blog.

Sweet, this looks like it'll do the trick. Thanks very much.

Yeah, they're a pretty good figure blog.

(Full disclosure: I'm editor-in-chief of Tomopop. Hi *waves*)

Also, in case you didn't see it this morning: Playmates is bringing back some new TMNT figures, and they're great. I'm guessing this was their big ToyFair surprise.

91084_classicmike-noscale.jpg

91081_classiccollleo-noscale.jpg

And figma of the Princess of the Crystal open for pre-order:

FIG-MOE-5201_02-noscale.jpg

You also get the three penguins, which is AWESOME.

FIG-MOE-5201_06-noscale.jpg

I always hate how WonFes gets scheduled the same weekend as another big event, though. Sooooooo much stuff coming out all at once. It's like having E3 times two.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Will buy both versions of Raphael since he is top tier turtle.

Was going to preorder online, but BBTS is the only place I know for US preordering, and they charge ridiculous shipping. Will probably just pop by my local toys r us and get both when they start showing up on shelves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom