• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinaar

Fuuuuuu! I have the money to get the REX, but but $490... can I use this as an investment? :)

EDIT: Purchased it. When I get it, it's going everywhere with me. Take it to the park, push it down the slides. See how high Rexy can go on the swing set. I'll have a special little stroller for him too, showing him off to all the moms in the park. Yes, I would say, this is my son.

Fuuuuuu! I have the money to get the REX, but but $490... can I use this as an investment? :)

EDIT: Purchased it. When I get it, it's going everywhere with me. Take it to the park, push it down the slides. See how high Rexy can go on the swing set. I'll have a special little stroller for him too, showing him off to all the moms in the park. Yes, I would say, this is my son.

You must photograph this.

Jinaar

You must photograph this.

The picture set will consist of two pictures:

Picture 1 - Place Rexy in swing set
Picture 2 - Rexy in pieces on the ground after being launched as from a catapult, my head bowed down in tears.

Now to find a stroller.....

SUPARSTARX

If you get Rex, you need to get the Play Arts Kai stuff. There's no excuse.

Or wait for Hot Toys to release their Snake and Big Mama

Jinaar

I would love to get one of these to stand with the Rex:

metal-gear-solid-figurine-rah-1-6-solid-snake-square-camouflage-rah-30-cm-.jpg

kamikaze

hopped in on the rex bandwagon. $490 isn't unreasonable for something so detailed/massive but it's still more than i've paid for a toy before.

so i just cancelled $300 worth of pre-ordered toys and it seemed much more palatable! :)

horsebird

Banned
If you get Rex, you need to get the Play Arts Kai stuff. There's no excuse.

Or wait for Hot Toys to release their Snake and Big Mama
I don't know about that, the Play-Arts figures would look like cheap toys in comparison to Rex. 3A is simply a cut above in every manner; I've not once been mislead by prototype shots, the end products have always blown me away. It's something about the weathering and paint applications on the figures that give them a special vibe.

Even Hot Toys figures look less impressive in real life, and those things cost more on average than a typical 3A release.

It feels like its been a decade since I first wanted that Rex model. I can't believe I'll finally have it on my shelf in August. I can't wait!

I'm gonna end up sending 500 SwapNotes of pictures of this thing when I finally get it. XD

Finally placed my Rex order, glad I was able to get enough USD into my Paypal to avoid the crappy CDN exchange rate. Really super happy that my 3 year wait is over (wait of being able to purchase one that is). :D

I don't know about that, the Play-Arts figures would look like cheap toys in comparison to Rex. 3A is simply a cut above in every manner; I've not once been mislead by prototype shots, the end products have always blown me away. It's something about the weathering and paint applications on the figures that give them a special vibe.

Even Hot Toys figures look less impressive in real life, and those things cost more on average than a typical 3A release.

I ordered the Play-Arts Grey Fox and Snake so far (having second thoughts on Snake after seeing the latest facial sculpt though). I would prefer to continue with 1/6th scale items either through Hot Toys or ThreeA (preferably ThreeA, but they don't have the license for human figures for MGS). The problem is that there has been no update from HT on their line and the Play-Arts are already coming out and it was looking like HT was only covering MGS3 back when they announced things. My theory is that they want Play-Arts to release first so people buy those, and then they will show off HT's goodies closer to E3 when the new game is announced.

Still, give me Ashley's rendition of MGS characters based off of his comics and I will not purchase any of the HT figures or Play-Arts. :)
It is a shame that they could only get the robot licenses.

What sort of display shelving do you guys use?

Between Rex, moving in about 8 to 10 weeks, and...more preorders than I'd like to admit I have, I need new shelving.

Any pointers?

NEO0MJ

What sort of display shelving do you guys use?

Between Rex, moving in about 8 to 10 weeks, and...more preorders than I'd like to admit I have, I need new shelving.

Any pointers?

The Ikea Detolf is a favorite among collectors and is priced decently and designed efficiently. Gonna have to buy one soon myself.

The Ikea Detolf is a favorite among collectors and is priced decently and designed efficiently. Gonna have to buy one soon myself.

Yeah, I like these a lot. I wish they made ones that were double or triple wide, though. (Which is sort of the style I'm hoping to find, but I'm not sure where to even look for those, as every place I look starts giving china cabinets and so forth that have doors and sides drowning in trim.

Thanks though, it's an excellent place for me to start! :)

NEO0MJ

Yeah, I like these a lot. I wish they made ones that were double or triple wide, though. (Which is sort of the style I'm hoping to find, but I'm not sure where to even look for those, as every place I look starts giving china cabinets and so forth that have doors and sides drowning in trim.

Thanks though, it's an excellent place for me to start! :)

There's also the Billy Valbo.
An interesting idea some people have is to buy two and not connect one of the class walls on each, then putting them side by side.

Ken

yup, thought the sculpt looked nice so i pre-ordered it awhile ago. should ship later this month.
Do you think the head looks really big? Looking at pictures of it and other GSC 1/8ths, they all seem to share the common feature of having a head too big for the body. I had the same problem with my Taiga figure but I don't remember who was the manufacturer.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
This is cool

That's not the RIO fig is it?

It is, but it's different than the figure they are releasing. Canti's TV head is shiny and the jacket looks different. The one they are selling looks cheaper-massed produced-with not much detail. This one is probably the nicer floor model.

DemiMatt

I would love to get one of these to stand with the Rex:

metal-gear-solid-figurine-rah-1-6-solid-snake-square-camouflage-rah-30-cm-.jpg

Well a Solid Snake would be nice.

I thought about the Play Arts figures, but while those look nice, they still look like action figures. Nothing near the quality of HT or ThreeA.

I'm going to wait for HT to release some figures, but in the mean time I'll probably place my Kubrick Solid Snake on it.

Also in regards to that Medicom Snake, I do have it, and it was the second most dissapointing 1/6 figure I bought. Older (maybe newer) Medicom figures are really crappy. Their bodies are made from recycled plastic so they snap and break easily. You also cant use a Hot Toys or Sideshow because Medicom are slightly smaller. My Naked Snake was 165 shipped and the moment I posed it the wrist peg snapped. Also one leg was shorter than the other. While it looks cool, the paint apps aren't that great. Best thing about it is the clothing but even then Hot Toys is still worlds above it.

Rex will be posed next to my Hot Toys Iron Monger since they both will be shipping at the same time.

Hot%2BToys%2BIron%2BMan%2BIRON%2BMONGER%2B01.jpg

kamikaze

Do you think the head looks really big? Looking at pictures of it and other GSC 1/8ths, they all seem to share the common feature of having a head too big for the body. I had the same problem with my Taiga figure but I don't remember who was the manufacturer.

hmm, it may be a bit big, yeah. not a deal breaker for me though. i've got several gsc 1/8 figures and it's most noticeable on the canaan figure.

johnsmith

remember me
plamoya.com has some pretty awesome deals. They had Catherine for about $20 less than what I paid for it, and I just ordered the Yamato Gwendolyn for $84 shipped. She's $107 before shipping at HLJ and Hobby Search.

goods_3902_5.jpg

Nikashi

Banned
I'm not 100% sure if this is my first post in this thread but TA DA

mikufeiyun.jpg

Fei Yen Hatsune Miku figure :D

Kind of a bitch to get her posed right, but holy crap is she awesome looking :D

Luigi87

I'm not 100% sure if this is my first post in this thread but TA DA

mikufeiyun.jpg

Fei Yen Hatsune Miku figure :D

Kind of a bitch to get her posed right, but holy crap is she awesome looking :D

So jelly =(
I only learned about it being available on Play-Asia after it had sold out.

NEO0MJ

And I'm starting to kinda hate my Battle Damaged Mark III so having Iron Monger to display it with would be a good reason to keep it around.

What's the problem with it? Looks good when i saw it once on display and I don't think I heard of QC issues with it.

Also, for those that missed the pre-order for the 3A Rex (and even those that did pre-order), this might interest you.

Due to popular demand MG REX will be offered through select retailers, the retail version will feature different package design.
Thanks again for the great support of 3A and the MG REX!

I wounder how the boxes will look like. All I can say for sure is that they will be huge. I mean the rail-gun alone is two feet long.

Er why is there nothing on that site?

They remove products that are sold out from it instead of just marking them "sold out".

Rex has been sold out for about 40ish hours.

If you want it, the next chance will be from Sideshow in the future (no date pegged down yet), but that'll be pricier, you will have to pay shipping (which won't be trivial on something this large), and there might be a mark up.

------------

As for this news regarding it's popularity, I wonder what that means exactly? Will they make a lot of units? Will they sell through more outlets than just Slideshow?

NEO0MJ

TAs for this news regarding it's popularity, I wonder what that means exactly? Will they make a lot of units? Will they sell through more outlets than just Slideshow?

From the wording it looks like they'll make more units and that they will distribute them to more outlets.

They remove products that are sold out from it instead of just marking them "sold out".

Rex has been sold out for about 40ish hours.

If you want it, the next chance will be from Sideshow in the future (no date pegged down yet), but that'll be pricier, you will have to pay shipping (which won't be trivial on something this large), and there might be a mark up.

------------

As for this news regarding it's popularity, I wonder what that means exactly? Will they make a lot of units? Will they sell through more outlets than just Slideshow?

Bambal's price included shipping?

What's the problem with it? Looks good when i saw it once on display and I don't think I heard of QC issues with it.
I loved it at first, but now that I have the much superior Mark VI the flaws on the BD III stand out much more.

Namely the red color on the rubber neck collar, lower torso/ab area and crotch pieces fading and the incorrect proportions. I don't hate it, that's an exaggeration, but it pales in comparison to the Mark VI and War Machine.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
wow - didn't know this thread existed.

i'm at work now, but i tend to go trawling the model shops two-three times a week and post to twitter. I can't see twitter from work but if anyone else wants to have a poke around and post any of the junk here, be my guest :

@dcharliejp

horsebird

Banned
plamoya.com has some pretty awesome deals. They had Catherine for about $20 less than what I paid for it, and I just ordered the Yamato Gwendolyn for $84 shipped. She's $107 before shipping at HLJ and Hobby Search.
Really? I see good prices on some figures, but their shipping is out of whack. They claim SAL isn't available for a set of 3 Grandline Men figures, which can't be right.

Good score on that figure, tho.

NEO0MJ

I loved it at first, but now that I have the much superior Mark VI the flaws on the BD III stand out much more.

Namely the red color on the rubber neck collar, lower torso/ab area and crotch pieces fading and the incorrect proportions. I don't hate it, that's an exaggeration, but it pales in comparison to the Mark VI and War Machine.

I see. When it comes to me I decided to wait till the third movie or the avengers before buying a HT Iron Man.

I see. When it comes to me I decided to wait till the third movie or the avengers before buying a HT Iron Man.
Based solely on the Kotobukya ArtFX statue, I don't know how much I'm feeling the Mark VII.

iron-man-mark-7-vii_1112.jpg

The silver bits on his thighs looks really random and out of place. His shoulder area also looks very bulky, a step back from the sleek Mark IV/VI.

I don't think I'll ever go for a whole hall of armors collection but I might do all the finale scenes from the Iron Man films.

So Iron Monger/Battle Damaged Mark III for the first. Mark VI/War Machine for the second. Then whatever it is for the third. I hoping to see a live action Extremis armor.

DemiMatt

Oh man, dat Iron Monger. So beautiful. And I'm starting to kinda hate my Battle Damaged Mark III so having Iron Monger to display it with would be a good reason to keep it around.

I sold my BD MK3 immediately when the MK4 was announced because to me that is the definitive Iron Man, and I also bought rh MK6 which is awesome, and have the MK4 SDCC edition, BUT ENOUGH IRON MEN! I'm perfectly content displaying my Iron Monger with the crushed MK3 Helmet next to Rex or by himself. Also HT will be releasing another MK3 BD 2.0 in the near future.

Er why is there nothing on that site?

Bambaland only has the one toy for sale for a 24 hour period. After that they do not sell the toy ever again. However Sideshowtoys.com will be selling REX in the near future, but the cost iwll be more than Bambaland and they will charge for shipping which will be fuck all expensive. There was a debate to buy from SS to get rewards points on another forum, but we decided buying from Bambaland for 490 out the door shipped to wherever you lived was too good to pass up. SST usually charges more for 3a toys, and shipping AND if you live in Cali (like moi) you get raped in taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom