• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPARSTARX

Higher clarity on Goku and Freeza. This time... together!!!

6988880055_0e309ccc2d_b.jpg

I've never really been a fan of that suit but that's such a phenomenal figure.

And Superman's package is intense, what the hell. He has even got a camel toe going on.

Ultimadrago

QUESTION for GeekGaf!:

I have found my gift from the heavens (Thanks VoxPop)

Nichijou Figurines. But I have some cognitive dissonance:

JBox is selling it for: $130 U.S. , which I'm fine with, but other places like:

Hobby Search: $80

CdJapan: $92

HobbyLink Japan: $84

Are selling it cheaper. I know of J-Box's reputability, but have any of you purchased from these other places and can confirm that they are "legit", "have good customer service", etc.?

I don't mind paying the J-Box price, but if I don't have to pay that high, then I'd rather not.
Thanks for any input ahead of time.

Krelian29

QUESTION for GeekGaf!:

Are selling it cheaper. I know of J-Box's reputability, but have any of you purchased from these other places and can confirm that they are "legit", "have good customer service", etc.?

I don't mind paying the J-Box price, but if I don't have to pay that high, then I'd rather not.

I use both Hobby Search and Hobby Link Japan frequently and i can say the service is pretty good for both. Shipping is a bit slow since i use SAL but i dont have to pay custom fees (for canada)

Ultimadrago

I use both Hobby Search and Hobby Link Japan frequently and i can say the service is pretty good for both. Shipping is a bit slow since i use SAL but i dont have to pay custom fees (for canada)

Thanks, I think I'll check 'em out then!
Nice X and Zero figures by the way!

johnsmith

remember me
QUESTION for GeekGaf!:

Jlist and other non-japanese resellers like Play-Asia are ripoffs compared to the big 3, amiami, hobby link japan and hobby search. They jack up the price so much, the only time you should ever buy from them is if the figure you want is sold out everywhere else.

I recently used CD Japan to preorder something that had sold out everywhere else and didn't have any problems ordering and having my item ship, but haven't received it yet since I used sal and it's only been 9 days.

Someone did a really nice writeup of most of the stores out there on mfc that would be super helpful to someone just getting into figures.

http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/2196
http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/2212
http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/2253
http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/2276
http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/2296

Ultimadrago

Jlist and other non-japanese resellers like Play-Asia are ripoffs compared to the big 3, amiami, hobby link japan and hobby search. They jack up the price so much, the only time you should ever buy from them is if the figure you want is sold out everywhere else.

Someone did a really nice writeup of most of the stores out there on mfc that would be super helpful to someone just getting into figures.

Thanks for the insight. I'll read up on these today for sure!

mollipen

I've used CD Japan plenty of times for music purchases, but that's been a number of years ago now. Unless they've suddenly gotten bad, no reason not to use them.

cajunator

Banned
GAF, I'm searching for a good glass display case, similar to the one posted above so I can finally free a bunch of figures from boxes and keep them dust free. What would be a good place to find this sort of display case? I dont need a super fancy one or anything.

NEO0MJ

GAF, I'm searching for a good glass display case, similar to the one posted above so I can finally free a bunch of figures from boxes and keep them dust free. What would be a good place to find this sort of display case? I dont need a super fancy one or anything.

The one above is the Detolf from Ikea and is one of most highly recomended. Costs $60 or so.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
QUESTION for GeekGaf!:

just ordered mine off amiami. :)

EYEL1NER

I always get depressed when I enter this thread. I see all the cool shit you guys have and then I look up the stuff I want and the prices of them and then just feel bad for being so damn poor.
But finally I have a shot at getting something I really want. Auction ends tomorrow and is still pretty cheap. Shipping is $30 but I guess that might be expected from where it is coming from.

If I win it I will be sure to post pictures. I am too scared to post what it is for fear some lurker wants it or wants to dick me out of it. Odds are when I post it no one will care though.
I just hope I win it. I want It so bad that I am afraid ill get carried away and pay a dumb price for it though.

You guys all have some cool shit though.
I don't care for Tekken too much but I find myself wanting that Christie.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Awesome! :D

Hey, would you happen to know how "random" these trading figures can usually get if you buy a box?

I didn't know that they were like figure trading cards until now...I don't want to get 4 duplicates :(

:/ didn't see that. Apparently there are ten types of figures, but you get 12 of them at random + some papercraft toys. wtf would they do that, it makes no sense.

Ultimadrago

:/ didn't see that. Apparently there are ten types of figures, but you get 12 of them at random + some papercraft toys. wtf would they do that, it makes no sense.

I know, :|

I reeeally want them. Yet, I hate the risk of buying it and getting 6 Nanos or something;forcing me to hunt Ebay to 'attempt' to clean up the mess.

I'm probably still preordering one, but consider me disgruntled as hell.

SUPARSTARX

Those trading figure boxes, depending on what you try to get, they usually have one full set or two full sets in it. I usually split a box of One Piece blind boxes and we'd have like one of each figure cuz that's how they pack it.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So I placed an order in HobbyLink Japan and apparently everything went great except for the fact that I didn't receive a confirmation email and my email address isn't registered on the website's database so... Should I make another order or contact customer support?

Edit: Nevermind, got the email.

Ultimadrago

Those trading figure boxes, depending on what you try to get, they usually have one full set or two full sets in it. I usually split a box of One Piece blind boxes and we'd have like one of each figure cuz that's how they pack it.

Thanks for the personal insight.

Man, I hope it works out this way for me (setting my preorder with AmiAmi today), but they add 2 extra to the 10 piece count, so I'm not the most optimistic.

EYEL1NER

YES!!!
I won my auction!!!!!!
Payed a bit more than I wanted, but I saved at least $15 over buying it new from some site. And that isn't including shipping from some website. So I am happy I guess. As soon as I finished Ikki Tousen and Dragon Destiny, I knew I wanted a Kanu figure. And when I saw this one, I knew I had to have one. They've been drying up online a bit, there are some here and there, but I saw my chance and jumped on it.

I just absolutely love the pose of this figure. She looks awesome.
414vgnwjyXL.jpg

Quick question though. How much do figures and models and whatnot cost in Japan vs buying online in the states? I want a Christie next, since it looks lovely from what I saw of SUPERSTARX's posts. I mentioned it to my wife and showed her that I wanted it. She told me to give her the name and make of it and she would make her sister go out to search for it in Tokyo. Her sister owes me $10,000 or so and I will never see a dime of it, so I told her "I'm not giving her more money to buy me something!" and she told me "No, I'll make her buy it." I figure I'll have to end up paying for it regardless, but if it ends up being more than the $50-$70 I'm seeing online, then I figure I won't bother.

I have to assume these things can be found cheaper in hobby shops in Japan though, right?

Before this I hadonly bought a cheap Eddie from Iron Maiden's Killers album, Rick from The Walking Dead, a cheap Choun from Ikki Tousen, and a 1992 Gambit action figure for $2 bucks on eBay. But now maybe I can start hanging with you guys, lol.

SUPARSTARX

6991919147_d6b710b3e4_b.jpg

I prefer this

082811_batman_engrish_origin_story_1.jpg
LOL! They definitely should have used that on the packaging. It'd be epic and confusing.

Quick question though. How much do figures and models and whatnot cost in Japan vs buying online in the states? I want a Christie next, since it looks lovely from what I saw of SUPERSTARX's posts. I mentioned it to my wife and showed her that I wanted it. She told me to give her the name and make of it and she would make her sister go out to search for it in Tokyo. Her sister owes me $10,000 or so and I will never see a dime of it, so I told her "I'm not giving her more money to buy me something!" and she told me "No, I'll make her buy it." I figure I'll have to end up paying for it regardless, but if it ends up being more than the $50-$70 I'm seeing online, then I figure I won't bother.
The prices that get to here are included with shipping. Price will probably vary up and down more or less $50 to $60 in Japan.

AMUSIX

Well, if you're going to get the '89 Batman 1/6 and the '89 Joker 1/6, you might as well just spring for the '89 Batmobile 1/6....over 3' long :)
901393_press08-001.jpg

901393_press02-001.jpg

901393_press15-001.jpg

901393_press14-001.jpg

EYEL1NER

For sure. If you find anything in Japan it should be cheaper there than any online store.
The prices that get to here are included with shipping. Price will probably vary up and down more or less $50 to $60 in Japan.
Cool. Thanks a lot for the answers.
Got my eye on a nice Mai Shiranui right now. We'll see in a couple minutes if I get it.

EDIT:
Just got the second item I wanted!
41tl6Nwk3hL.jpg

I got it super-cheap. Looks like it sells for $150 to $250 some places. I hope it's not a fake. This and the Kanu Unchou (both are from the same guy) look legit and he is in Prague, not Hong Kong. I feel bad for him, because if it is legit, I got it for $1.25. That's the hazards of eBay I suppose though. He had it listed as a generic 'Manga Figure' and started the auction at $1.00. Bidding got fierce on the Kanu but I guess the timing was bad on this one or something.

Now to play the waiting game and hope my haul gets here in one piece and aren't knockoffs.

I caved and bought Play Arts Batman. It looks pretty nice. Good size, not quite the behemoth that Ezio is but about the same height as Master Chief (which looks shorter because it's in the background).

rUY0V.jpg

SUPARSTARX

I caved and bought Play Arts Batman. It looks pretty nice. Good size, not quite the behemoth that Ezio is but about the same height as Master Chief (which looks shorter because it's in the background).

rUY0V.jpg

oh man, I was gonna get it and then Hot Toys announced they were doing that exact same Batman for their videogame line of stuff. Not that I will definitely get it, but if it turns out looking as good as their other stuff I will highly consider it being a huge Batman fan. :d

Well, if you're going to get the '89 Batman 1/6 and the '89 Joker 1/6, you might as well just spring for the '89 Batmobile 1/6....over 3' long :)
Already have a Flexpay order with Sideshow haha. It comes out in like 14 months, paying bits of it until release date.

Got my eye on a nice Mai Shiranui right now. We'll see in a couple minutes if I get it.

EDIT:
41tl6Nwk3hL.jpg

I got it super-cheap. Looks like it sells for $150 to $250 some places. I hope it's not a fake. This and the Kanu Unchou (both are from the same guy) look legit and he is in Prague, not Hong Kong. I feel bad for him, because if it is legit, I got it for $1.25. That's the hazards of eBay I suppose though. He had it listed as a generic 'Manga Figure' and started the auction at $1.00. Bidding got fierce on the Kanu but I guess the timing was bad on this one or something.

Now to play the waiting game and hope my haul gets here in one piece and aren't knockoffs.
I want that Mai so much, but she's kinda expensive haha

oh man, I was gonna get it and then Hot Toys announced they were doing that exact same Batman for their videogame line of stuff. Not that I will definitely get it, but if it turns out looking as good as their other stuff I will highly consider it being a huge Batman fan. :d
That was my exact plan as well, hence me caving, but I saw how fast these were selling and I didn't want to regret not picking it up. And who knows, I might not have the cash for the Hot Toys version when it comes around. In the end I might get the Hot Toys one anyways, can never have enough Batmen!

The Play Arts version is very nice though. The sculpt, paint and articulation are all top notch. My only gripe really is that I wish the ab crunch articulation was a bit more subtle.

Ultimadrago

On my previous problem, reading multiple reviews about Toy'sWorks trading figures. It seems that all usually come in a boxed order. My hope rises a little...I guess I'll know for sure come late June.

EDIT:

Dat Mai looks great! Congrats on getting it.

EYEL1NER

Dat Mai looks great! Congrats on getting it.

The pics of Mai and Kanu aren't my pics. They are just the stock pics on Amazon. Mine are shipping from Prague to SC, so it will be a bit, but I'll take pics when they get here. The Mai is 1/6 scale. I read on a hobby site that it is 11 inches tall!

I got in on that $5 for $10 Amazon credit yesterday and I think I am going to get a Bome Kasumi from DoA with it. It will be pretty cheap and I have always loved the Bome figures. I have one of the Tenjho Tenge Bome's that I bought when I was at Lackland AFB for basic training but it is back home in MO.

SUPARSTARX

You got yours?? I still haven't seen my shipment notification for him or 1989 Joker either. Got my Batmobile on pre-order too

Mine was a very early preorder from SSC. I changed it to Flexpay like last minute right before it released so I got it this month instead of last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom