• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

geek gaf - figure models

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Did everyone see the SDCC Bishoujo exclusives?

x23-113400376584fdf5a1a814fa.jpg

storm-113400373784fdf59025e7ad.jpg

alisa-213400384734fdf5d49bce17.jpg

Black-Widow-SDCC.jpg

Hmm... Bishoujo BW is interesting and nice touch with Hawkeye's mask on the ground.

Not really sure if I want, but it's got my interest.

SUPARSTARX

Joker DX 2.0 get!
he completes my Batman collection! I never thought I'd own him because I didn't expect then to re release Joker. So good.

Toys fair exclusive BB Batman
Joker dx 2.0
Dark knight suit rehash, hopefully without oily abs
Bane coming out soon..
Tumbler
Bat pod
Just missing a good official Liam Ras al Ghul, Gordan, and Alfred (lol).

I need a geeky girlfriend to accept my collecting of plastic items.

bangai-o

Banned
Wonder Woman is a figure who's face looks much better from below IMO. Here's a shot of mine sitting on the shelf above my computer at my desk:
WonderWomanShot.jpg

Also, I fixed the embed on the X-23 angry face. Did you check that out? What do you think compared to the original?
for displaying, are toys okay for display without glass. ive seen some display their toys in glass. does the dust in the air mess up the paint throughout the year?

Giolon

for displaying, are toys okay for display without glass. ive seen some display their toys in glass. does the dust in the air mess up the paint throughout the year?

I'm not aware of any problems specifically due to dust. However, the two biggest enemies of PVC are direct sunlight and heat. In addition to causing them to lean and fade, it can cause the plasticizers in them to come to the surface, simultaneously creating an oily residue (that the dust can get trapped in) and making them more brittle. To some degree this will happen naturally, but heat speeds up the process.

I've just never been a fan of putting my figures under glass. I even took the front door off my Detolf shelf. It makes things look too much like they're in some sort of shrine. I want my display to feel approachable to people, that they can go up and interact (carefully) with them and get a good look.

I like the angry face more so than the default one. I pre-ordered Storm and X-23, couldn't find that variant of Black Widow, so I didn't pick her up.

I just read the comments on Koto's FB page and a number of them said they couldn't find a pre-order for BW. Perhaps it's not available yet?

May ask friend's dad to pick up the statue for me while he's down there...

Black Widow isn't available from Kotobukiya it's going to be at the Action Figure Xpress booth so they probably won't have a preorder for it.

bkw

That Jaina Solo is nice! And I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan. The only thing that bugs me is her right arm. Not really sure what she's doing there. And that armor (?) looks oddly stiff.

sca2511

Black Widow isn't available from Kotobukiya it's going to be at the Action Figure Xpress booth so they probably won't have a preorder for it.

That's too bad, I like the hair more on the exclusive since it's a deeper red/brown and not translucent. I'll probably just grab the normal one and the older bishoujo black widow down the road, though I know almost nothing about the character.

The difference in height is a minor quibble. All the figures I have are high quality, and I have no problems buying more in the future.
Agreed. I don't buy them since I don't really do the lady figure thing in my collection, but I work at a comic shop so pretty much every new Bishoujo release comes our way and usually I get to open 1 of every new release as a display model. I just recently put out the Bishoujo Liara. I don't like the pose, but it's well constructed and has a top notch paint job.

johnsmith

remember me
Just wait for the US release.

Here's some shipping estimates from plamoya for a similar figure, the Ghostbusters bishoujo figure.
EMS (1 x 0.9643kg) US$24.15
Registered SAL (1 x 0.9643kg) US$17.98
SAL (1 x 0.9643kg) US$13.58

johnsmith

remember me
It's worth it on the bishoujos. If you're willing to wait a month more you can grab them from Amazon for less than $50 vs $80+ if you order from the Japanese sites.

johnsmith

remember me
Oh man, I know. The ebay prices for Rogue are ridiculous, and Catwoman is just as bad. But most of them are still cheap months, sometimes years after release. I don't see Jaina skyrocketting in price any time soon.

speedline

Banned
Oh man, I know. The ebay prices for Rogue are ridiculous, and Catwoman is just as bad. But most of them are still cheap months, sometimes years after release. I don't see Jaina skyrocketting in price any time soon.

Just checked the Catwoman prices, hot damn I guess I'm glad I got mine when I did. I think it was $60 around Christmas time last year. Same for Batgirl in the blue cape.

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah, it's kind of crazy how fast the prices on these can skyrocket. Dark Phoenix was being clearanced out on some Japanese sites and was available on amazon for $50 not too long ago, now she's going for as much as $200. It makes me want to buy these SDCC exclusives just for the resale value, the 2010 SDCC exclusives go for over $200. But buying for speculative reasons would take my addiction in a scary new direction that I don't think i want to go down.

sca2511

Yeah the prices for Rogue, Blue colored outfit Batgirl, and Catwoman are crazy. Even more strange is that the regular Emma Frost is way more expensive than the exclusive diamond version Emma Frost. Good thing I like the black outfitted Batgirl more, but damn, I just want the blue one because of the current resell value.

hayejin

Oh wow. I bought two cat woman when they were 50 dollars. I already opened one but still have a brand new one in box unopened. Ka Ching!

NEO0MJ

For those who missed out on the 3A Metal Gear Rex, Kotobukiya will be releasing a kit soon!

Kotobukiya-Metal-Gear-Rex_1340711619.jpg

While not as flashy or large as the 3A release, it will be much cheaper and capable of sitting down. The release date and price have yet to be revealed, but it will stand at 20 CM tall.

SUPARSTARX

I'm not a huge fan of the medicom stuff. Their quality doesn't match up to their price points a lot of the time.

Just paid off Figma Chie and POP Shirahoshi.

Wewt.

sophora

For those who missed out on the 3A Metal Gear Rex, Kotobukiya will be releasing a kit soon!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/neonicX/Kotobukiya-Metal-Gear-Rex_1340711619.jpg

While not as flashy or large as the 3A release, it will be much cheaper and capable of sitting down. The release date and price have yet to be revealed, but it will stand at 20 CM tall.

3A's is able to sit down too. There are photos of it sitting down in their new 2012 booklet that comes with some of their toys.

NEO0MJ

3A's is able to sit down too. There are photos of it sitting down in their new 2012 booklet that comes with some of their toys.

What I meant was how it also lowers its head and folds its legs. If the 3A version can do that then it's news for me.
I mean, this is the most used sitting position for the 3A Rex, which is no where near the above kit.

3Amgr.png

MedIC86

I don't know if anyone can help me with this but im going to hongkong in a few weeks and i was wondering if there was a place to get cheap figurines. I've been in HK before but i only found toyshops with small things etc. Now i know there is a outlet from hottoys but i dont think it will be much cheaper then were i live.

I'm not a huge fan of the medicom stuff. Their quality doesn't match up to their price points a lot of the time.

Just paid off Figma Chie and POP Shirahoshi.

Wewt.

Hush era Jim Lee Batman is just too hard to pass up.
especially considering they did a good job on the colors unlike other figures etc of that design.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I was expecting something special for the head sculpts for the new Joker.... Holy Shit I didnt expect it to be THAT good. Very happy.

Wk2tl.jpg

Faqcebook says thats the DKR batman figure too.

Question about this Joker figurine: I'm thinking of getting this for my dad for his 70th birthday but I'm not sure when it's coming out and where I should pre-order it from.

Will it be out before the 4th of October?

SUPARSTARX

Question about this Joker figurine: I'm thinking of getting this for my dad for his 70th birthday but I'm not sure when it's coming out and where I should pre-order it from.

Will it be out before the 4th of October?

I think it's coming out a little bit later than that. Estimate around November/December. It comes out in Asia first for that date, so few weeks after for official American release.

You can pre-order from a select number of retailers with pros and cons. I've used a few sites for these things and these are my experiences with them:

www.sideshowtoys.com
+ Official distributor for Hot Toys
+ Good customer service/replacements for defects
+ "First" to ship out for U.S.
+ Free shipping on select items
+ Reward points
- Full MSRP

www.bigbadtoystore.com
+ Good customer service
+ Preorder discounts
+ Good customer service
- Direct shipments from Sideshowtoys, so you get it a little later on (a compromise for discounts)

www.alteregocomics.com
+ Good customer service
+ Preorder discounts
+ Good customer service
+ Reward points
- Direct shipments from Sideshowtoys, so you get it a little later on (a compromise for discounts)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I think it's coming out a little bit later than that. Estimate around November/December. It comes out in Asia first for that date, so few weeks after for official American release.

You can pre-order from a select number of retailers with pros and cons. I've used a few sites for these things and these are my experiences with them:

www.sideshowtoys.com
+ Official distributor for Hot Toys
+ Good customer service/replacements for defects
+ "First" to ship out for U.S.
+ Free shipping on select items
+ Reward points
- Full MSRP

www.bigbadtoystore.com
+ Good customer service
+ Preorder discounts
+ Good customer service

www.alteregocomics.com
+ Good customer service
+ Preorder discounts
+ Good customer service
+ Reward points

Hmmm, that's too late but thanks for the information.

Are there any other high quality Ledger Joker figures available to buy?

SUPARSTARX

Hmmm, that's too late but thanks for the information.

Are there any other high quality Ledger Joker figures available to buy?

Not unless you want to pay $500+ for the first version of the Ledger Joker which is essentially being retuned for this upcoming Q4 release. If your pops is a fan of the Nicholson Joker, it's a really high quality sculpt and package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom