• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

YukiOnna

I like to fight the bosses and domains without Zhongli at least a couple times, but it's nice to have him when farming the same bosses or domains over and over again. I appreciate a challenge, but Zhongli's brings a lot of QOL improvements to the game, so hopefully they continue to find ways to balance shields vs healing.
I think they might have PTSD with the last Zhongli drama so they won't ever tinker with him too much... Only other option is to diversify it. I agree that I don't want every boss going forward to be anti shield, but it'd be nice to have a couple where Zhongli/Shield can't be an option during a phase of the fight or in its entirety. They already had the gimmick of ability lock with Archon Shogun. Wolflord isn't exactly what I had in mind either.

Pejo

Dope fanart for My Genshin queen

Not bad, she's definitely an underrated gal.

uAdeyTq.jpg

YukiOnna

Holy damn, now that they've moved on to Hoyoverse, they just upped their game on the official art. Hard to believe that this is the same game that just censored Amber's butt lines.
Yeah, it's really nice. Even the chibi art style changed since the Beidou one.

SSfox

Elden Ring is coming very soon, and still don't know how to handle Genshin, i mean I can take break but i would waste too much resine. I wish we could stock at least 30 condensate resine.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Elden Ring is coming very soon, and still don't know he w to handle Genshin, i mean I can take break but i would waste too much resine. I wish we could stock at least 30 condensate resine.

Elden Ring will suck my life just like the early days of Genshin Impact.

crumbs

The writing for the start of this new Enka event is tonally all over the place:

Kokomi: We're in a crisis. There are many causalities and Watatsumi Island is in danger. I can't help because I need to heal the wounded. Let's go see this Shrine Maiden for some info.

Shrine Maiden: Ohh, looks who's on a date :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Can't we save the reddit shipper bait for story quests :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Pejo

Elden Ring is coming very soon, and still don't know he w to handle Genshin, i mean I can take break but i would waste too much resine. I wish we could stock at least 30 condensate resine.
Elden Ring will suck my life just like the early days of Genshin Impact.
Yep, Elden Ring is pretty much my plan for this coming weekend. That's why I wanted to get the new Enka event thing done quickly. I'll still log in and burn resin in Genshin but that's about it for the next few weeks. Not like it takes a ton of time to do your daily chores.
The writing for the start of this new Enka event is tonally all over the place:

Kokomi: We're in a crisis. There are many causalities and Watatsumi Island is in danger. I can't help because I need to heal the wounded. Let's go see this Shrine Maiden for some info.

Shrine Maiden: Ohh, looks who's on a date :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Can't we save the reddit shipper bait for story quests :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yea the writing was a little jumpy, but the entire point is just to get you down into Enka and give you some motivation to explore it again. There was also that one soldier that had a boner for Tsumi out of nowhere, then he disappears.

*edit*

Interesting, they're adding subtle visual effects to show when we're dirty and when we're out of breath from draining stamina.

o5vokq7tmdj81.jpg

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I probably won't be logging in during Elden Ring's release and until I finish it so gonna try to get it all done in the next 2 days. Maybe it'll be long enough for another return player log-in bonus...

Pejo

Chasm battle music.

Gets good around 1:20, imo.

Now that I think about it, that's kinda a shitty part about this amazing battle music that we keep getting, Rarely are you fighting anything over 10-20 seconds in the game, other than bosses, so you never really get to the "good parts" of the battle songs. I remember that one Inazuma battle theme that's barely used in Inazuma that has that big "drop" about halfway through that is so satisfying, but you never get to hear it.

Wish they'd let us get more songs in our teapots instead of just the ambient time of day stuff. I'd love to put this new Chasm song or the Inazuma stuff to listen to at will.

This part is so good, yet nobody likely ever hears it:

Last edited:

Pejo

The general battle music for Enka and now Chasm is a lot better than the overworld one for the past 3 regions. Never felt the sense of urgency with the others.
See my "edited in" section above, I think the battle songs are too slow burning for battle songs. They sound great, do a good job of providing flavor to the battles, but the battles are over so fast you just end up hearing the same 20 seconds of the intro repeatedly. It'd be cool if they kinda put battle music on "pause" when you exit combat and resume it on the next combat. Other games have done that to great effect.

I definitely think they're getting better at matching the tone of the music to the area/situation. This chasm one feels like you're in a big rocky expanse, once it gets going. Unfortunately we'll only hear the first ~minute of the song which doesn't really fit, and people will just go "meh, the music wasn't very good"

Reactions: Fuz

YukiOnna

See my "edited in" section above, I think the battle songs are too slow burning for battle songs. They sound great, do a good job of providing flavor to the battles, but the battles are over so fast you just end up hearing the same 20 seconds of the intro repeatedly. It'd be cool if they kinda put battle music on "pause" when you exit combat and resume it on the next combat. Other games have done that to great effect.

I definitely think they're getting better at matching the tone of the music to the area/situation. This chasm one feels like you're in a big rocky expanse, once it gets going. Unfortunately we'll only hear the first ~minute of the song which doesn't really fit, and people will just go "meh, the music wasn't very good"
I never even heard that portion of the song, it's like an entirely different track... They should adjust it to fit the speed of overworld battles or have the pause/resume feature, yeah.

Pejo

Some new info for Yelan, apparently she is the owner/manager of the illegal gambling den in Liyue where they're ultra rude to the traveler when you talk to them. I hope she's a real bitch from her characterization, but they probably don't have the guts to do it.

There's been a lot of changes to Ayato in the beta so far, he keeps getting buffs. Apparently they actually care how he fares in the meta, unlike the last handful of 5*s. Buffs to his cooldown, %'s, stagger resist, icd of his slashes during his skill, frequency of his water procs in his burst. I don't personally find him interesting, but they're actually trying to make him usable which is commendable. He's going to have the same problem I ultimately ran into with Childe. You can't effectively main DPS them because Hydro overwrites Pyro, so you can only ever get 1 good vape proc. At least Childe has a single hit Burst so you can go for big dick damage there, but Ayato is like Ayaka - death by 1000 cuts. Should be good in taser/freeze comps though, just like Childe. They also showed that the Kamisato siblings work well together in freeze comps, if that's your thing.

Chasm map size overlayed with the world map:
rxqyv759mhj81.png

Seems a bit bigger than Dragonspine or any individual Inazuma island. I'm satisfied with that, it should be a great patch. I have been trying to stay spoiler free of the visual design of the areas, but I accidentally saw some sample screenshots, and it looks really varied and cool. I'm impressed.

Fake

Gold Member
Some new info for Yelan, apparently she is the owner/manager of the illegal gambling den in Liyue where they're ultra rude to the traveler when you talk to them. I hope she's a real bitch from her characterization, but they probably don't have the guts to do it.

There's been a lot of changes to Ayato in the beta so far, he keeps getting buffs. Apparently they actually care how he fares in the meta, unlike the last handful of 5*s. Buffs to his cooldown, %'s, stagger resist, icd of his slashes during his skill, frequency of his water procs in his burst. I don't personally find him interesting, but they're actually trying to make him usable which is commendable. He's going to have the same problem I ultimately ran into with Childe. You can't effectively main DPS them because Hydro overwrites Pyro, so you can only ever get 1 good vape proc. At least Childe has a single hit Burst so you can go for big dick damage there, but Ayato is like Ayaka - death by 1000 cuts. Should be good in taser/freeze comps though, just like Childe. They also showed that the Kamisato siblings work well together in freeze comps, if that's your thing.

rxqyv759mhj81.png

Seems a bit bigger than Dragonspine or any individual Inazuma island. I'm satisfied with that, it should be a great patch. I have been trying to stay spoiler free of the visual design of the areas, but I accidentally saw some sample screenshots, and it looks really varied and cool. I'm impressed.

Looks OK I guess? Better than another fucking isle.

YukiOnna

rxqyv759mhj81.png

With this it's going to be 3 good patches in a row. Nice.

Pejo

Looks OK I guess? Better than another fucking isle.
I still don't get what you guys have against the island stuff. I thought it was great for giving each island its own flavor and for them being able to rapid-fire release the areas in consecutive patches. When we're back on the mainland, we're just going to go back to the red border "Paimon doesn't think we should go here yet" bs. If anything, I wish that they'd have done more with the ocean between the islands and waverider/boat stuff. The water was just there to separate the islands, there was almost no meaningful content that had to do with it.

With this it's going to be 3 good patches in a row. Nice.
Yea, regardless of the missteps with recent characters and the main story being inconsistent quality wise, the new areas have been progressively better and higher quality. The world lore is probably one of my favorites in any game released in years. We don't know very much about Chasm yet, lore wise, so I'm excited to see what they cook up.

MHY's messed up priorities strike again. They better put some effort in Yelan too.
I don't really know why, but they seem to put more effort into the kits of male 5* characters compared to the female ones, which I guess they assume (correctly) that they'll sell just on design/visual appeal/waifu stuff. Itto was the only outlier to this as I feel his kit is undertuned considering he's Geo.

Fake

Gold Member
I still don't get what you guys have against the island stuff. I thought it was great for giving each island its own flavor and for them being able to rapid-fire release the areas in consecutive patches. When we're back on the mainland, we're just going to go back to the red border "Paimon doesn't think we should go here yet" bs. If anything, I wish that they'd have done more with the ocean between the islands and waverider/boat stuff. The water was just there to separate the islands, there was almost no meaningful content that had to do with it.

Gets repetitive sometimes, and I want to avoid using fast travel sometimes too. Isle will vary between connection, stamina bs and the enemies they put in the way.

YukiOnna

Yea, regardless of the missteps with recent characters and the main story being inconsistent quality wise, the new areas have been progressively better and higher quality. The world lore is probably one of my favorites in any game released in years. We don't know very much about Chasm yet, lore wise, so I'm excited to see what they cook up.

I don't really know why, but they seem to put more effort into the kits of male 5* characters compared to the female ones, which I guess they assume (correctly) that they'll sell just on design/visual appeal/waifu stuff. Itto was the only outlier to this as I feel his kit is undertuned considering he's Geo.
Islands were awesome. I didn't find it a pain to explore at all outside of the dreaded hunt for Sango pearls. Not to mention, can easily see the ghibli aesthetic to it or if it was based off a specific culture with the World Quests. For Chasm, the description mentioned a celestial body so I wonder what's up with that. Going to be fun to see how it links to Celestia or outside this universe.

MHY admitted in the interview that level design of Liyue and Mond weren't ideal so I hope Sumeru and Natlan are better than that. Though it's hard for me to see what makes deserts and volcanos interesting since other games have never done them right.

Fuz

Banned
I still don't get what you guys have against the island stuff. I thought it was great for giving each island its own flavor and for them being able to rapid-fire release the areas in consecutive patches. When we're back on the mainland, we're just going to go back to the red border "Paimon doesn't think we should go here yet" bs.

Wasn't Lyiue released all at the same time?

If anything, I wish that they'd have done more with the ocean between the islands and waverider/boat stuff. The water was just there to separate the islands, there was almost no meaningful content that had to do with it.
Absolutely.

Pejo

Islands were awesome. I didn't find it a pain to explore at all outside of the dreaded hunt for Sango pearls. Not to mention, can easily see the ghibli aesthetic to it or if it was based off a specific culture with the World Quests. For Chasm, the description mentioned a celestial body so I wonder what's up with that. Going to be fun to see how it links to Celestia or outside this universe.

MHY admitted in the interview that level design of Liyue and Mond weren't ideal so I hope Sumeru and Natlan are better than that. Though it's hard for me to see what makes deserts and volcanos interesting since other games have never done them right.
I keep going to back to Journey for the idea of what they're going to do in the desert. I hope they actually have a sand sliding mechanic for traveling around the area, that'd be a ton of fun. Dunes everywhere with ruins and tunnels spotted throughout, obviously an oasis or two. If they really want to get ambitious, it'd be cool if they had shifting sands that cover/uncover parts of the map and sandstorms that severely limit visibility. I'm excited for deserts.

Volcanoes, yea, they're mostly just "don't step in the lava" in 99% of games, not sure what they can do about that.

Wasn't Lyiue released all at the same time?
Outside of Chasm and that underground area with the "salt god" Zhongli story, yea. But that was considered a "release" region because it existed before the game came out.

Last edited:

Pejo

Wow, so this is potentially big for lore implications.

So it looks like the writing we found in the recent Enka event and on the archipelago is Abyss language (or possibly ancient Teyvat pseudo Greek/Latin). Somebody translated it to English letters, then Latin and then English common speak which is weird since MHY is a Chinese company. Anyways, we get a letter next patch, maybe a communication from the Abyss to each other or from Dain or something, but it speaks in ancient Greek terms and talks about how the sky is breaking. Ties in to the "Falling Stars" event. I keep getting reminded of that event and how huge the lore reveals were, and how players that started after it aren't going to know any of this. Weird stuff.

Anyways, here's the Latin (direct translation from Abyss language) and then the common English interpretation:
NON CUSTOS SI FINGAR ILLE CAENRIUM

NON FULMINEUS EGO LYRAE BARBATOS

NON SI PEGASEO FERAR VOLATU

NON MOPSHES NIVEAE CITAEQUE BIGAE

ADDE HUC PLUMIPEDAS VOLATILESQUE

VENTORUMQUE SIMUL REQUIRE CURSUM

QUOS IUNCTOS AMICA MEA MIHI DICARES

DEFESSUS TAMEN OMNIBUS MEDULLIS

ET MULTIS LANGUORIBUS PERESUS

ESSEM TE MIHI AMICA QUAERITANDO

CAELUM DILABITUR

FALSITAS COLLABITUR

Even if I wasn't made of iron like Kenlia's guardian,

Even if I can't break the Lira of Barbatos,

Even if I can't fly as high as Pegasus,

Even if I'm not as fast as the white chariot of the dream horse,

Even if you get the same speed as the wind with the feathery shoes (in the original text, it means Hermes), and his wings, I can find you out.

Even if you take advantage of all that,

My friend, and even if you do that to me,

I'm still exhausted from the bottom of my bones,

It's going to fall and wear out over and over again.

While I'm looking for you, my friend.

The sky is breaking.

The lies are collapsing.

Fuz

Banned
I keep going to back to Journey for the idea of what they're going to do in the desert. I hope they actually have a sand sliding mechanic for traveling around the area, that'd be a ton of fun. Dunes everywhere with ruins and tunnels spotted throughout, obviously an oasis or two. If they really want to get ambitious, it'd be cool if they had shifting sands that cover/uncover parts of the map and sandstorms that severely limit visibility. I'm excited for deserts.
I love deserts when they're done well, but my idea of done well is: a big empty.
shutterstock-1250207509.jpg

crumbs

Sumeru is supposed to a Mid-East - India combo, right? Since it's dendro, I'm imaging a large desert area, but also a lot of large forest regions as well. A dense rain forest area would be a lot more interesting than desert areas (to me at least).

Fuz

Banned
uza4dbt62nj81.png

In other news, the leak subreddit is just a list of "AYATO+OTHER CHARACTER" threads, which is fucking stupid and pointless. But I guess there's no much going on for leaks, so...

By the way, I wonder IF and how much Lost Ark and Elden Ring will impact Genshin playerbase.

Last edited:

crumbs

uza4dbt62nj81.png

In other news, the leak subreddit is just a list of "AYATO+OTHER CHARACTER" threads, which is fucking stupid and pointless. But I guess there's no much going on for leaks, so...
NSFW Venti with the podium finish

disgusted i feel sick GIF

Fuz

Banned
NSFW Venti with the podium finish

disgusted i feel sick GIF
Yeah, that's the reason I posted the rankings.

Not surprising to me, since Venti looks like an underage kid. It's exactly what I expect from Genshin's hardcore fanbase. No wonder they disgust me so much.

Last edited:

Pejo

uza4dbt62nj81.png

By the way, I wonder IF and how much Lost Ark and Elden Ring will impact Genshin playerbase.
I think Elden Ring will have an effect, but i think Lost Ark's flavor of the month is already waning. If it had any effect it would have been in the past few weeks.

I'm constantly surprised that there are so many "Keqing mains" but you never see anybody actually playing her anywhere.

Venti NSFW that high is the perfect illustration that this survey was done on reddit.

Top Bottom