• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

Fuz

Banned
Since I ran out of stuff to do, I've been going through with those pokemon balls and capturing at least 1 of every type of wildlife (at least the ones you can catch). The pigeons surprisingly have been the hardest for me to get. Apparently once you chase away Timmy's pigeons, they're gone until reset. The only other place I know that they regularly spawn is a few places in Liyue by the wooden walkways. I have 3 out of the 5 varieties captured already.
2017-05-08-image.jpg

genshin-impact-novos-personagens-na-atualizacao-1-5-e-alem-4.jpg

as posted early, i'm new to the game. played a bit more today and i was trying to figure out the currencies in the game. have i got this right?

real money buys you genesis crystals which you can use to buy some things but you can convert them to primogems and with them you can buy fates? i'm not sure the difference between the two fates. one is blue and one is blue/pink-ish. starglitter + stardust i don't understand. i have some so i guess you earn them as you play and if you wanted you could use them to buy fates?

there is a beginner's wish. do i need to do that? or do i do the wanderlust invocation one? i don't have a lot of material right now. i could maybe buy some fates but i'm too scared to do anything until i understand it better lol.

as for story, i done a quest finding treasure which turned out to be fake. i have 4 characters now! kaeya and lisa. all lvl 20 and lvl 20 weapons. i'm confused about how artifacts work at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
as posted early, i'm new to the game. played a bit more today and i was trying to figure out the currencies in the game. have i got this right?

real money buys you genesis crystals which you can use to buy some things but you can convert them to primogems and with them you can buy fates? i'm not sure the difference between the two fates. one is blue and one is blue/pink-ish. starglitter + stardust i don't understand. i have some so i guess you earn them as you play and if you wanted you could use them to buy fates?

there is a beginner's wish. do i need to do that? or do i do the wanderlust invocation one? i don't have a lot of material right now. i could maybe buy some fates but i'm too scared to do anything until i understand it better lol.

as for story, i done a quest finding treasure which turned out to be fake. i have 4 characters now! kaeya and lisa. all lvl 20 and lvl 20 weapons. i'm confused about how artifacts work at the moment.
Don't worry about genesis crystals. You shouldn't spend money on this game.

As you say there's two types of fates. The blue ones are called acquaint fates, and can only be used on the standard banner and the beginner banner. These two banners don't contain anything too noteworthy. Because of this you should never convert your primogems into acquaint fates! Any acquaint fate the game gives you is a nice bonus and should be used.

The rainbow-colored fates are called intertwined fates, and they're used on limited character banners and weapon banners. These banners contain powerful 5 star items that are temporarily available. As such you should hoard all your primogems and spend them on intertwined fates when a character or weapon appears that you want.

Starglitter is a currency you obtain after pulling duplicate 4 and 5 star items on any banner. Starglitter can be used to purchase a multitude of things in the Paimon's bargains shop, but the only ones you should consider are the blackcliff weapons (which appear every other month), 4 star characters (if you really want them) and wishes (intertwined fates are the safest investment).

Stardust on the other hand is given to you when you pull garbage items on a banner. This stardust is really only used to purchase five intertwined and five acquaint fates every month. There's not much else to spend this currency on so it's always worth buying those. Prioritize the intertwined fates.

As for the beginner banner, I think you should only use acquaint fates on it if you want Noelle. Don't use primogems. If you don't care for Noelle, using those blue fates on the standard banner gets you closer to a 5 star item, which is more efficient.

Artifacts are equipment that boost your characters' stats, and most of the late game revolves around optimizing them. Don't worry too much about them early on, and just put some artifacts on characters you use that you think would be useful. You should look into them more when you're more familiar with the game.

crumbs

I realize a lot of this is personal preference, but the last 6+ months of new characters has been pretty weak. I took a break from playing from 2.0 through 2.2, so I've been looking forward to the Ayaka & Shogun reruns, however their original banners were from July 21 & September 1 respectively. For me as a low spender, that means they haven't released a new 5 star in close to 8 months that seems worth the primos and resource investment.

Yelan does look promising, from a design and gameplay standpoint, so hopefully she breaks this trend.

Pejo

Yelan does look promising, from a design and gameplay standpoint, so hopefully she breaks this trend.
I mean she's basically just whalebait for a stronger Xingqiu, but she seems fast and fun to play which is more of what draws me to characters. Meta be damned, as long as they're fun to play and can fit into some team comps. I'd argue we won't get any more gamebreakers until Sumeru though. Even then, MHY seems so scared to make characters too good, which in my opinion is the opposite of what they should do. They should make many characters very good with lots of overlap so that we can pick and choose how we want to play instead of being pigeonholed into a handful of setups (looking at everybody who uses the Bennett crutch).

I'm excited for Shinobu since she opens up Electro role compression to allow for both a healer and an off-field electro applicator. Usually I've had to run either hydro/anemo or Diona if I wanted a healer, and most times that messed up my team comp ideas. If we ever get a true Pyro support healer, i'll be in heaven (as long as it's not another twink boi)

Speaking of Sumeru, we are getting more and more leaks that Collei from the manga is going to be a playable Dendro Bow character. I appreciate when they actually tie in the Manga to the game since it seems like they mostly forgot about it. She is close friends with Amber that left to go live in Sumeru.

f35b077e8b1dc98fbf8376e1b1979add3c76f84b.jpg

Her design will probably change significantly since this happened a few years ago in the manga.

Fuz

Banned
stronger Xingqiu
Is she, though?

The rainbow-colored fates are called intertwined fates, and they're used on limited character banners and weapon banners. These banners contain powerful 5 star items that are temporarily available. As such you should hoard all your primogems and spend them on intertwined fates when a character or weapon appears that you want.
IMHO: Avoid weapon banner like the plague. It's a whale trap.
You'll get tons of 4 star weapons, you can craft some good 4 star, and you will occasionally get a 5 star weapon from free wishes. 4 star are good enough for anything. Better to invest on characters, at least until you REALLY understand what you're doing and how the banners work.

Last edited:

Pejo

Is she, though?
Both at C0, She's better. Yelan C0 is worse for Hu Tao/Diluc than C6 Waterboi, for the rest it's a wash. C2 Yelan is better than C6 Waterboi all around. So...kinda? I refuse to use Benny and Xingqiu though, so I'm happy to make the switch.

Dregnel

Speaking of Sumeru, we are getting more and more leaks that Collei from the manga is going to be a playable Dendro Bow character. I appreciate when they actually tie in the Manga to the game since it seems like they mostly forgot about it. She is close friends with Amber that left to go live in Sumeru.

f35b077e8b1dc98fbf8376e1b1979add3c76f84b.jpg
is that suppose to be a girl, really? what kind of reverse trap is that?

crumbs

I mean she's basically just whalebait for a stronger Xingqiu, but she seems fast and fun to play which is more of what draws me to characters. Meta be damned, as long as they're fun to play and can fit into some team comps. I'd argue we won't get any more gamebreakers until Sumeru though. Even then, MHY seems so scared to make characters too good, which in my opinion is the opposite of what they should do. They should make many characters very good with lots of overlap so that we can pick and choose how we want to play instead of being pigeonholed into a handful of setups (looking at everybody who uses the Bennett crutch).
Agreed, I'm not necessarily looking for powerful meta characters, but they need to be a least fun to play and have some versatility in team comps. I don't want to waste primos on a niche buffers like Shenhe or meme characters like Itto.

I was thinking about Ayato as he would fill a spot I don't currently have a character in (hydro DPS), but he's so boring, both in design and playstyle.

The Yelan leaks at least look interesting so far and her skill adds something new. Even if she ends as an equivalent to Xingqiu, he's one of the easiest characters to fit into a team, so having another version isn't the end of the world.

Pejo

is that suppose to be a girl, really? what kind of reverse trap is that?
She was a human test subject for the fatui and regarded as "unclean" and "sickly" and stuff. Plus she's probably a teen when the manga takes place. I'm sure the design will be a lot different after she's been living in Sumeru for years. I wonder if the game will touch on any of the past stuff and if she'll have a quest with Amber.

Here she is at the end of the Manga when she heads off to Sumeru with Cyno.

22_01_10_27c061db6223fdfa111fb9a7e7820e38_960-960x620-c-default.jpg

Last edited:
I realize a lot of this is personal preference, but the last 6+ months of new characters has been pretty weak.
If I wasn't playing catch-up with all of the characters I've missed out on, I would probably feel the same. Hoyoverse has been dangling this carrot called dendro in front of the player base for a while now. It's the only excuse people are willing to accept for the recent characters' mediocrity. They're gonna be in trouble if dendro doesn't deliver.

Fake

Gold Member
Can't say if Yelan is stronger than Xingu, because Xingu is not really strong, instead make others strong.

You really 100% dedicated plus RNG to make this happen. Xingu here make Xiao a war machine.

crumbs

This would actually be pretty cool:

FQoTb6EX0AAf4M3

Venti needs shoes, though.

The Xingqiu and Kazuha skins look good and would be popular with the shorts-haters :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Pretty odd that GI is 1.5 years old and we've only seen 4 paid skins released. We've seen as many censored skins as paid skins, who would have predicted that back when the game released?

Pejo

This would actually be pretty cool:

FQoTb6EX0AAf4M3

Venti needs shoes, though.

I like them all but Venti. They could have just stuck with the theme and given him something Japanese. Ayaka looks better in almost any other outfit than the one she got.

The Xingqiu and Kazuha skins look good and would be popular with the shorts-haters :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Pretty odd that GI is 1.5 years old and we've only seen 4 paid skins released. We've seen as many censored skins as paid skins, who would have predicted that back when the game released?
I was pondering this very thing the other day. Maybe they don't want to release skins because that's eating up another design that they could just use on a new character and lose out on all those $$$s. But yea, I'd love to see more of them, and especially themed skins like regionals (like above), holiday, etc. Honkai has been getting great skins, and they're getting them more often. I'd like to see that type of thing in Genshin. We got these skins for CNY (which happened to fall on Global anniversary)

maxresdefault.jpg

Saber

I was pondering this very thing the other day. Maybe they don't want to release skins because that's eating up another design that they could just use on a new character and lose out on all those $$$s.

Honestly I don't buy it.
Do you think they would lose money on skins about specific dates of the year because new character designs?
I remember saying this even before the idea of skin became a thing on GI. They would be swimming in gazilion of dollars if they had the balls to release a bunch of cutie and sexy christmas or summer outfits for all the characters. And I say that no one would be complaining, the fanbase would have both female and males to choose and those concepts wouldn't ruin future designs. Unless you think they would create a new character based of christmas theme.
Instead we have gramma Jean summer outfit.

SSfox

I'm an Ayaka haver, feels great.

My artefacts sucks tho still even if she does decent damages already, gonna need to farm her more but yeah she quite fun, finally have a DPS 5* Cryo.

Last edited:

Pejo

Honestly I don't buy it.
Do you think they would lose money on skins about specific dates of the year because new character designs?
I remember saying this even before the idea of skin became a thing on GI. They would be swimming in gazilion of dollars if they had the balls to release a bunch of cutie and sexy christmas or summer outfits for all the characters. And I say that no one would be complaining, the fanbase would have both female and males to choose and those concepts wouldn't ruin future designs. Unless you think they would create a new character based of christmas theme.
Instead we have gramma Jean summer outfit.
I wholeheartedly agree with the holiday/themed skins, but I feel like they give us crappy/few skins because if the skin is good enough, they'd likely just throw a new haircut/set of eyes on it and make it a new character. People will spend much more money on a new character instead of a skin for a character people already have that would (comparatively) only give them a little bit of money. I have no evidence of this, but it's just a guess. Especially with how similar the Ning/Keqing skins were to their original outfits.

I think they should just hire a new team that nothing but design skins. It's not like having more options is a bad thing, flood the game with them and let people pick and choose which ones they like. I don't play Fartnite, but it seems to be the game model that they use to just have tons of skins, and it seems to work out for them. For better or worse though, MHY seems to like to incorporate the release of skins with events in the game that would make sense, but it's not like they couldn't just do that with a Leiben-tier quest or event.

That poison wolf is one the worst enemies in the game...
For me it's still the Specters. At least the wolves hang out at Melee level and after you know their moveset it's easy to know when they're going to warp. Specters have the annoying ass tendancy to stay out of melee range. Their attacks are hard to see and homing, they explode when they die, and them being ranged only makes them a bitch to specifically target with ranged auto-attackers. A target lock would fix like 75% of my problems with them.

My artefacts sucks tho still even if she does decent damages already, gonna need to farm her more but yeah she quite fun, finally have a DPS 5* Cryo.
Congrats!

Fake

Gold Member
For me it's still the Specters. At least the wolves hang out at Melee level and after you know their moveset it's easy to know when they're going to warp. Specters have the annoying ass tendancy to stay out of melee range. Their attacks are hard to see and homing, they explode when they die, and them being ranged only makes them a bitch to specifically target with ranged auto-attackers. A target lock would fix like 75% of my problems with them.

I was told their poison was nerfed... I still trying to understand 'why' the whole party get poison.

crumbs

Are you doing a 4 piece blizzard set? I've been pre-farming that domain for Ayaka and it consistently has terrible drops, right up there with the Crimson Witch domain. At least the Blizzard domain drops Heart of Depth artifacts.

If I win the 50/50 later, I'll being going with the Inazuma craftable sword for Ayaka. I also have the Black sword from the BP, so I may try that on her.

SSfox

Are you doing a 4 piece blizzard set? I've been pre-farming that domain for Ayaka and it consistently has terrible drops, right up there with the Crimson Witch domain. At least the Blizzard domain drops Heart of Depth artifacts.

If I win the 50/50 later, I'll being going with the Inazuma craftable sword for Ayaka. I also have the Black sword from the BP, so I may try that on her.
Yes i'm with 4p Blizzard, i think it's her best if you play her with a Hydro, i've been farming this for 2 weeks now, still didn't get something very decent so i'm gonna keep until i'll drop some legit stufs, weapon also i have the Inazuma craftable R1.

Right now i'm playing her with Raiden, XQ and Diona.

I was lucky on this banner tbh, i was 59 pity with 50% guaranteed, got her after 11 pulls, soi got her at 70 and won 100% which make her the earlier character i got on Event wish banner.

Now i'll try to get as much as Gourous as i can when he'll be in banner, while waiting for Kazuha.

Shining Star

Neo Member
So you remember the cutscene from the event?

When Scaramouche recognizes the great grandfather as a "Niwa" and spares his life, that was because "Niwa" was his best friend's family name, who was slain by the head blacksmith for freeing Scara when he was imprisoned by them. That's also the real reason he fucked the Inazuman 4 swordsmith arts from behind the scenes - a form of revenge for killing his nameless only friend "Niwa".

*edit*

I didn't even notice this before, but Rosaria comments on how she hates her new censored outfit. They actually paid VA bucks to record these lines. I guess I can believe now that MHY didn't want to censor their characters anymore than we wanted them censored.

That's really funny lol

I kind of want Yelen but every 5* I go for ends up being bad and my team is weak enough as it is.

crumbs

In addition to the reasons you mentioned, Specters cannot be CC'd by Kazuha's skill, so you can't bring them back when they leave melee range. It's like they wanted to add all the irritating gameplay elements to one enemy, I'm surprised there isn't a specter that applies corrosion :messenger_neutral: . Ganyu is the only reason I haven't been more frustrated dealing with them.

I was told their poison was nerfed... I still trying to understand 'why' the whole party get poison.

I think the nerfing was them fixing the messed up hit range on the wolf attacks. There was more than a few times that I would seem to dodge their attack only to have corrosion still applied to my characters.

Pejo

I think the nerfing was them fixing the messed up hit range on the wolf attacks. There was more than a few times that I would seem to dodge their attack only to have corrosion still applied to my characters.
They still haven't fixed being hit with corrosion even if you're in an elemental burst cutscene, which is annoying.

Fake

Gold Member
Because they needed to sell Kokomi.

Ow yeah. Kokomi check.

Anw, the abyss buff description looks OP, but I not seeing much difference.

The wolf kit don't make sense at all, they fly, teleport, inflict poison... is a design mess. Just like Pejo Pejo pointed out, looks more like a Kokomi check than a 'master this patern'.

IDK if I still want to go up in the abyss at this point. Annoying challenges are not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Got my Ayaka as well. 74 wishes, won the 50/50. I've been pretty lucky recently. She's already triple crowned and everything.

I was a bit disappointed with the amount of Sayu cons I got (just 1) on this banner so I threw another 20 wishes its way and got two more, so a total of three cons. I'm fully satisfied now.

crumbs

I know what you mean, now i'll try to get Gourous when he'll be who he'll be with, after Ayaka now my plan for next 5* is Kazuha
Kazuha is definitely worth saving for. You can pretty much plug him into any team and he's good for exploring, but most importantly, he's just fun to play.

As a low spender, he's probably the only limited 5 star I would think about pulling for constellations.

Last edited:

SSfox

Kazuha is easily the best character in the game.
I think he's awesome, i wasn't playing the game when he got his banner, i tried him and he's fun, also i really need some Anemo, Sayu is my only anémo now outside of Lumine. I almost pulled Venti but i had to skip to guarantee Ayaka, hopefully i can get him when he'll come back.

EDIT: So i'm playing Ayaka with the Inazuma forged weapon R1, i wonder if i should refine it more, she already got her Q quite fast even without Raiden, so idk lol

Last edited:
EDIT: So i'm playing Ayaka with the Inazuma forged weapon R1, i wonder if i should refine it more, she already got her Q quite fast even without Raiden, so idk lol
So long as you can use her burst immediately when it's off cooldown you're fine. The Amenoma is worth refining if you have a bunch of billets lying around. In theory you'd then be able to maximize her damage by reducing the ER on her artifacts and increasing ATK% and Crit DMG%, but that's up to RNG.

Ayaka finally gave me the 36* in the abyss. She's a valuable addition to my account it seems. Couldn't be happier.

Pejo

I think he's awesome, i wasn't playing the game when he got his banner, i tried him and he's fun, also i really need some Anemo, Sayu is my only anémo now outside of Lumine. I almost pulled Venti but i had to skip to guarantee Ayaka, hopefully i can get him when he'll come back.

Get the Black Sword from the BP.

crumbs

I won the 50/50 and got Ayaka at about 80 wishes. First 50/50 win in a bit so no complaints, but the last 2 pities on the limited banner have nearly hit the hard pity count :messenger_expressionless: . I should be in good shape for Yelan's banner.

So I had pre-farmed materials for Ayaka, but my dumb ass didn't pay attention to the stupid handguards. I used a bunch for the Shogun last patch and ascending the Amenoma sword, but figured I would be good for Ayaka as I've never run into issues with common enemy drops. That didn't work out, as I was able to get her to 80/80, but nothing left for her talents. To her credit, Ayaka still has some utility at WL8 with lvl 1 talents.

Anyway, I've been farming the samurai for the last hour and the drops on the handguards are pitiful. I'm at WL8 and it's mostly single 3 star handguards and some just drop mora only. I know players have been complaining about this for awhile, but the handguard drop rate and quality are much worse than any other common enemy drops that I've experienced. And to think I was contemplating pulling for both Ayaka and Ayato, who both require the handguards. I would have been farming samurai for weeks.

What I should have done was skip the Amenoma sword and given Ayaka the R5 Black sword I currently use on Keqing, who I could then equip with an unused Lions Roar. Hindsight is always 20/20.

YukiOnna

I still wish her braids would unfurl during her elemental burst. But neither of us get what we want.
Same. Anyway the first two quests haven't been the greatest start you were right. Hope Kazuha's arrival changes things.

A shame since I'm a fan of LN's but didn't need water shota as an author.

Top Bottom