• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

deanote666

Ganyu's birthday mail is about fishing. Isn't she vegetarian? Why would she want to go fishing? I guess you could argue she could just catch and release, but that still doesn't seem like something she'd want to do. During that one event she wouldn't even eat meals with eggs in 'em. I think this clashes with her established character pretty hard.

In other news, Genshin won some kind of PlayStation award so we're getting 800 primos. Always welcome.
Fontaine mechanical fish.

Pejo

Oh man can you imagine the meltdown if Genshin actually wins? I don't think it will, but oh man...
I voted Genshin just to watch the world burn.

gc3n9uamgb4c1.jpg

Pejo

Shenhe skin is going to be🔥
Have all 4* skins been free? Or is it only skins for 4* characters that have been free?
Mnayc1N.jpg
If I recall, the only 5* skin we have is Diluc's. Everything else has been 4*, so it doesn't equate to 4* = free.

I wouldn't honestly expect any good skins for the future of this game. CN games just got the censor hammer across the board over the last month, and Genshin has always been ultra conservative since year 1 when they were forced to censor Amber/Mona/Jean/Rosaria (4 times).

They've been trash other than Keqing's and Ning's, in my opinion. Klee's was kinda cute I guess, actually.

Why even introduce 5* ones if they never release any? At least these will be a bit cheaper. These new ones sound pretty good from those vague descriptions, but I fully expect them to be toned down in terms of fan service. Chances are they'll disappoint. But...

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Kinda wondering if I should get those concert wings now, because it sounds like they'd fit perfectly. Quite the investment though. I only have 2150 crystals left.

All of the free skins have been for 4-star characters MHY can reasonably expect you to own. They're either starter characters (Lisa) or available from events (Fischl). Wasn't the rumor that Xingqiu'd get a skin too? That'll be the free one I bet.

Pejo

Why even introduce 5* ones if they never release any? At least these will be a bit cheaper. These new ones sound pretty good from those vague descriptions, but I fully expect them to be toned down in terms of fan service. Chances are they'll disappoint. But...

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski
Modders have already far surpassed what MHY is ever gonna do with this game. Even if you don't like lewd stuff, the overall quality is insanely good these days, so I hear.

Kinda wondering if I should get those concert wings now, because it sounds like they'd fit perfectly. Quite the investment though. I only have 2150 crystals left.
Is there a time limit on the package? Otherwise it's probably worth it to wait.
All of the free skins have been for 4-star characters MHY can reasonably expect you to own. They're either starter characters (Lisa) or available from events (Fischl). Wasn't the rumor that Xingqiu'd get a skin too? That'll be the free one I bet.
Yea he was the other rumor, guess we'll see.

Oh man can you imagine the meltdown if Genshin actually wins? I don't think it will, but oh man...
I voted Genshin just to watch the world burn.

gc3n9uamgb4c1.jpg
Would godlike if it won, just to piss people off.
I would also like to see Hogwarts win something.

On to Genshin:
I’ve recently felt like I never want to take Yelan out of the party because of her ability to run and make traversal quicker. I know Sayu can roll and I have her and she is next in line to get built up just for that simple fact.

What other characters are good for the map, getting around, etc.

Oh and Wrio taking the crown of ice bridge builder is icing on the cake.

jonnyXx

On to Genshin:
I’ve recently felt like I never want to take Yelan out of the party because of her ability to run and make traversal quicker. I know Sayu can roll and I have her and she is next in line to get built up just for that simple fact.

Oh and Wrio taking the crown of ice bridge builder is icing on the cake.
Dehya's passive gives faster move speed during daytime and Rosaria during nighttime.
Lynette has a skill similar to Yelan, it's slower but you regen stamina during it.
Mona turns into a puddle of water while sprinting that is faster than a standard sprint and can go over water.
Furina can walk over water as long as her skill is active, so infinitely. Don't need ice bridges anymore.
Wanderer can fly.

Pejo

Any risk of getting banned for using these?
A friend has been using them for 6+ months now with no problems. They would recommend exercising caution with using the hack mods (like ones that highlight the location of unopened chests) and stuff, but the ones that just change the character models seem 100% safe. From what I heard between 2 other unrelated people discussing mods, the mod platform itself just changes the pointer locations of the character files in RAM, the actual files of the game are never changed/replaced.

That said, it's always a gamble and nothing is guaranteed, so it's 'at your own risk'. Also this is PC platform only, obviously.
giphy.gif

On to Genshin:

Lynette is like a ghetto Yelan, then you have Wanderer/Kaz for climbing/vertical areas. Venti kinda lesser then either of them. For traversing water, Furina is the best because no ice bridge is needed. Just switch to her healer version and use the skill and run. Jean after one of her constellations gives a big speed boost, and Anemo resonance reduces stamina while running. Probably a combo of that stuff.

Modders have already far surpassed what MHY is ever gonna do with this game. Even if you don't like lewd stuff, the overall quality is insanely good these days, so I hear.

Is there a time limit on the package? Otherwise it's probably worth it to wait.

It's frankly embarrassing that it takes MHY half a year to get some skins out when modders can churn out stuff like this within a couple of weeks. The snowman effects could use a little work but it's still damn impressive.

The bundle is only available for two more weeks. I doubt we're getting much more info in that amount of time.

Pejo

It's frankly embarrassing that it takes MHY half a year to get some skins out when modders can churn out stuff like this within a couple of weeks. The snowman effects could use a little work but it's still damn impressive.
Yea, considering the price, it's astonishingly good. I love that the snowmen in this one frown and make mean faces when they're in combat and then smile when not. Modders have also figured out how to auto swap outfits based on states, so like you have Childe that turns into Foul Legacy after he uses his Burst until you shut off his elemental skill, and they have mods that seemlessly automatically swap characters into swimsuits when they're in water and back to other outfits on dry land. It's really cool.
The bundle is only available for two more weeks. I doubt we're getting much more info in that amount of time.
I bought it when it was released, the wings are ok for a few people, but I'm a completionist with that kind of garbage so I'm built weak-willed. Still chaps my ass that they never made the KFC wings available any other way than supporting shit eating streamers on Twitch, in the west.

Dehya's passive gives faster move speed during daytime and Rosaria during nighttime.
Lynette has a skill similar to Yelan, it's slower but you regen stamina during it.
Mona turns into a puddle of water while sprinting that is faster than a standard sprint and can go over water.
Furina can walk over water as long as her skill is active, so infinitely. Don't need ice bridges anymore.
Wanderer can fly.
Oh shit, I think I heard that about Mona but forgot. I never built her up as I’m drowning in Hydro characters. Maybe I will then.

And yes, thanks for the reminder about Rosaria, I knew that lol, didn’t know about Dehya though.

Lynette I did know about, but it doesn’t seem to last nearly long enough for it to be worth it.

Last edited:

Pejo

Oh shit, I think I heard that about Mona but forgot. I never built her up as I’m drowning in Hydro characters. Maybe I will then.
Mona used to be pretty funny to use because if you tried to cross too big of a water gap and ran out of stamina, she would instantly drown even if you were inches away from land. Ayaka also has the same glide mechanic, but hers is ice based. How does Ice make her able to dive under the ground? Because, that's why.

jonnyXx

Once again, it's amazing that with all of that money, MHY isn't already doing something like this. These look fantastic.
They are gorgeous. Imagine if you could unlock these for reaching friendship lvl 10 or something.
But even were they to sell something like these I'm sure they'd do really well.

GaNKN7V.jpg
tgKZuHG.jpg
5peDTnW.jpg
1BPdHz0.jpg
svqM11O.jpg
bwOkYR8.jpg
pJA9ESn.jpg
yFrijrE.jpg
56uiKRy.jpg
8tKlUYx.jpg

Last edited:

Pejo

Holy shit what were they thinking with that new camera lens gadget?

"Hey I know, let's give the players a gadget quest reward as a follow-up to a limited time missable quest that just completely fucks Charlotte up and makes her unplayable." I couldn't believe it actually did that.

How long until we see a reddit post saying "My Charlotte is broken and I don't know how to fix it"?

*edit*

Bunch of codes for any Star Railees in the thread that are still playing. Not sure what they give but they work as of now.

https://hsr.hoyoverse.com/gift?code=5S9BND25CRBK

https://hsr.hoyoverse.com/gift?code=ST9T6DKLVRGX

https://hsr.hoyoverse.com/gift?code=US9SND24U8FB

https://hsr.hoyoverse.com/gift?code=JT8BPUJMURUP

https://hsr.hoyoverse.com/gift?code=YTRB6VKMVRZB

https://hsr.hoyoverse.com/gift?code=4BQSPDKLVQFF

Last edited:
I hate that they keep shilling these annoying twinks. There's borderline broken characters in this game that need some love, and they decide to promote their pogostick pony. Again. Piss off.

How does that lens work? I haven't used it yet. Probably won't after hearing this.

Here's a completely unrelated pic of a Hilichurl action figure coming out in a year:

KqQob5E.jpg

I love this kinda stuff. I might get one. Or a couple. I already pre-ordered the Qiqi action figure.

jonnyXx

"Hey I know, let's give the players a gadget quest reward as a follow-up to a limited time missable quest that just completely fucks Charlotte up and makes her unplayable." I couldn't believe it actually did that.

How long until we see a reddit post saying "My Charlotte is broken and I don't know how to fix it"?
It's so horribly implemented. Why does it have to only work with Charlotte and why in the hell does it have to replace her skill.
It should just work on all characters and take effect when you use the gadget. What were they thinking indeed.

How does that lens work? I haven't used it yet. Probably won't after hearing this.
You use the gadget to toggle it on/off and when on it replaces Charlotte's skill with a camera function for taking screenshots. You enter an aiming mode that lets you zoom in and out and works in domains.

Last edited:

Please explain what gadget and what issue is it causing. I am planning to put Furnia and Charlotte in my team next so want to know any issues I might face.

Also are the wind gliders skin really that good or needed? Most of the gliders available today match the character colors more or less.

Pejo

I hate that they keep shilling these annoying twinks. There's borderline broken characters in this game that need some love, and they decide to promote their pogostick pony. Again. Piss off.
Hopefully this stuff stays in Fontaine. I guess they think one of the defining characteristics of western Europe is twink boys in short shorts gallivanting around with blushy red cheeks.
Here's a completely unrelated pic of a Hilichurl action figure coming out in a year:

KqQob5E.jpg

I love this kinda stuff. I might get one. Or a couple. I already pre-ordered the Qiqi action figure.
I bought the Mona fig (not poseable though), and it's pretty great, quality wise. The churl one is actually pretty good. I like the poseable figs where the joints don't ruin the overall aesthetic like this. What's the QiQi one look like?

It's so horribly implemented. Why does it have to only work with Charlotte and why in the hell does it have to replace her skill.
It should just work on all characters and take effect when you use the gadget. What were they thinking indeed.
I can't figure out why they thought that anybody would want that as a desired effect. On the Kamera gadget, sure, but replacing a character skill? And you can't toggle it for each instance, it's either all or nothing. Just what?

Please explain what gadget and what issue is it causing. I am planning to put Furnia and Charlotte in my team next so want to know any issues I might face.
jonnyXx jonnyXx just described it above. It's a gadget you toggle on/off that changes the function of the basic Kamera gadget but inexplicably also makes Charlotte's elemental skill take screenshots also. You can shut it off so it doesn't ruin anything, but it's puzzling as hell why they'd even do it.
Also are the wind gliders skin really that good or needed? Most of the gliders available today match the character colors more or less.
I mean it's cosmetics, so the purpose is to look cool, which I think they do. That part's up to personal tastes though. We are notably missing a red wings option unless you did the KFC thing, and the black option is just the default one which doesn't go well with many characters. I'll admit it's not a big deal either way, but don't you think that most of those are peak aesthetics for those particular characters? I think they look fantastic.

I mean it's cosmetics, so the purpose is to look cool, which I think they do. That part's up to personal tastes though. We are notably missing a red wings option unless you did the KFC thing, and the black option is just the default one which doesn't go well with many characters. I'll admit it's not a big deal either way, but don't you think that most of those are peak aesthetics for those particular characters? I think they look fantastic.

Not the deault black one for sure but one or the other Region based glider fits close enough as except few Anemo and Hydro characters the default character costume is color coded to their element.

Pejo

Not the deault black one for sure but one or the other Region based glider fits close enough as except few Anemo and Hydro characters the default character costume is color coded to their element.
I guess I'm just confused of why you're against glider mods, which are optional and free?

Pejo

Man I just did the final ascension gating quest in Star Rail, and I vastly underestimated how bad the character building grind actually was. I've been farming the past 5 days to just max out 1 character's skills for the last ascension.

Makes Genshin look like a breeze. At least it's not "day of the week" gated.

jonnyXx

Artifact QoL Update details:

Much appreciated optimizations but I really hope they are looking into artifact loadouts. Come on Hoyo it would be so convenient to have.

Also I'd love it if they let you modify equipment directly from the select character screen for Abyss/events, and an option from within Abyss to return directly to that character select and not have to quit out then go back in.

Pejo

Much appreciated optimizations but I really hope they are looking into artifact loadouts. Come on Hoyo it would be so convenient to have.

Also I'd love it if they let you modify equipment directly from the select character screen for Abyss/events, and an option from within Abyss to return directly to that character select and not have to quit out then go back in.
I don't understand why they're kicking screaming and pouting about just giving us loadouts. Seems crazy to me.

Also, they need to take a page from Star Rail and let us turn unwanted artifacts easily into those artifact XP items (like the pots we can buy from the teapot shop every week). so we don't have to deal with all of this stuff to begin with. Do those two teams not talk to each other at all?

Anyways, special program announcement for 4.3, and I still haven't even touched the 4.1 content yet.
Black And White Loop GIF by Pi-Slices

iptg3owwll4c1.png

I guess I'm just confused of why you're against glider mods, which are optional and free?

I guess I don't see the appeal of something which won't be visible most of the time. I get costume skins as it will always be visible when the character is in use but gliders are only visible for short duration when gliding. I understand others might like them but its just not for me. Mods for costume colors would be good though. Anyway its not available for me as I mainly play on PS5.

Man I just did the final ascension gating quest in Star Rail, and I vastly underestimated how bad the character building grind actually was. I've been farming the past 5 days to just max out 1 character's skills for the last ascension.

I felt like it’s easier to max out a character in Star Rail than Genshin. Less work. Everyone in use is at 80, whereas I still don’t have anyone at 90 in Genshin because it’s so many boss mats and many of the characters need the same mats and I just can’t bring myself to fight the boss that many times. Star Rail I can just auto battle the grind missions, or just do dailies and let energy carry over for when I have time.

jonnyXx

So I went on a modding spree. There are some gems but you have to scour through a lot of trash to find them.

Warning: lots of images.
Oqqx6uD.jpg
z9CO1HP.jpg
Za8aiOi.jpg
OVvS2S8.jpg
v1W0IEb.jpg
w11zwLT.jpg
BmuSnt4.jpg
u1dgDIp.jpg
ricTvBw.jpg
01oCSbv.jpg
Vr5HW0O.jpg
I45BF7q.jpg
dbouD20.jpg
GTkJCoe.jpg
m9SLPF5.jpg
beDh1JC.jpg

R9envnx.jpg
vjMFgNn.jpg
mwvbccq.jpg
2bNQRW4.jpg
w76QymI.jpg

Pejo

So I went on a modding spree. There are some gems but you have to scour through a lot of trash to find them.
I actually like that Chongus one, hadn't seen it before. Reminds me of early Ichigo or other JP delinquent outfits. It'd be better if it was long pants but still not bad. That Beidou dress one improved a lot since its first release too, it used to look really stiff, so my friend tells me.

Sakura

Really? I find the grind in Star Rail way easier.

Pejo

Really? I find the grind in Star Rail way easier.
I felt like it’s easier to max out a character in Star Rail than Genshin. Less work. Everyone in use is at 80, whereas I still don’t have anyone at 90 in Genshin because it’s so many boss mats and many of the characters need the same mats and I just can’t bring myself to fight the boss that many times. Star Rail I can just auto battle the grind missions, or just do dailies and let energy carry over for when I have time.
I guess the character level from 70-80 isn't as bad in Star Rail, but the drop rate of the max rarity Traces materials is awful from the hardest stage. Should guarantee at least 1 purple per 10 stamina used, but it doesn't. I was able to max Light Cone and Level pretty easy but the Trace leveling is terrible. I've been using my daily stamina ONLY on the same red Calyx since last Thursday and I still need 18 more purples to finish out a single character. If nothing else, they should give a character a passive to randomly increase the number crafted while using the Synthesizer, because this feels like bullshit.

jonnyXx

I actually like that Chongus one, hadn't seen it before. Reminds me of early Ichigo or other JP delinquent outfits. It'd be better if it was long pants but still not bad.
I think it has a bit of a Persona vibe. I wasn't sure about it cause I didn't like the texture on the shirt and also wish it was long pants, but it actually looks great during gameplay. Sadly there isn't much available for him, there is another one that I liked but it gives him a pony tail which ruins it for me.

The Serpent Spine skin makes it look so much better on him.

deanote666

I must be the only one that doesn't need artifact load outs.

I farm artifacts for a character and then typically leave them like that unless a better set comes along.

It's very rare if I switch artifacts or weapons between characters.

The only character I might use load outs on is traveler since they can use all the elements and could benefit from element sets.

jonnyXx

I must be the only one that doesn't need artifact load outs.

I farm artifacts for a character and then typically leave them like that unless a better set comes along.

It's very rare if I switch artifacts or weapons between characters.

The only character I might use load outs on is traveler since they can use all the elements and could benefit from element sets.
Even if I had an optimal artifact set for every character there are still a number of characters I would like to swap sets on depending on the team. For example on Bennett I often switch between Noblesse and Instructors, on Xingqiu between Noblesse and Fate, and Kuki between Gilded and Tenacity. For Xiangling I stick to Fate but switch between ER stats when she is the solo pyro and DPS stats when paired with Bennett.

And now with Furina the Marechaussee set is viable on a lot of characters. Having artifact loadouts would make it way easier to move them around between characters.
I suppose you could farm a set for each character that can use it but that would take a looong time.

Last edited:
Actually I do have a character at 90 now!

Diluc

My first 90 and tbh, the mats just came kind of naturally. I used the teapot for the lamp grass, already had plenty of the fatui badges, a few extra Pyro plant fights and boom!

Also funny how going back to fight the mondstat bosses now is a joke, even at World Level 8, with level 80 characters the boss health bar melts in seconds.

Last edited:

Pejo

This Nahida skin is awesome, it changes state when using her burst and then goes back to the normal after the burst duration.

hMscoBK.jpg
lFN0FXw.jpg
Yea that one is great. Wish there were more transformation mods. My friend learned some basic python to build his (or her) own .ini scripts, but wasn't able to figure out how to do it by character state. Only by timing, so like "3 seconds after press Q", that type of thing. Building your own toggle mods aren't difficult though, so you can pick a bunch and just cycle through using a key you pick to swap on the fly.

Legend says that my friend's Eula mod has 73 toggle variants.

Pejo

Looks like we're getting 800 primos in Genshin for being featured in a few categories at the TGA.

Star Rail players get 1600 currency (full 10x pull) for winning Best Mobile Game (it's not.)

*edit*

Chiyori design got nerfed a bit from the original leaks. To kinda be expected with the recent censorship bonanza going on in CN games. Hair looks better, but the thighs and the booba got covered and suppressed (too powerful).
f43xsPY.jpeg

Original leak:
details-about-3-8-character-v0-kmz9ezchspqa1.png

Last edited:
I bought the Mona fig (not poseable though), and it's pretty great, quality wise. The churl one is actually pretty good. I like the poseable figs where the joints don't ruin the overall aesthetic like this. What's the QiQi one look like?
ahWp6FC.jpg

Kind of a shame they didn't show anything Genshin related at TGA. I was hoping for a glimpse of Cloud Retainer. But I guess the timing just didn't line up for that. Or maybe it's just because they have so many games to promote now.

4.3 sounds decent in terms of events. Fontaine film festival, Itto's beetle fight. Navia's on the banner first (Thank god) with Ayaka, and Chevreuse will be on Shogun/Yoimiya's banner. Bit of a shame they're separated, but it makes sense for her to be paired with Pyro and Electro chars. Guess I'll have to attempt another snipe.

Chiori is neat but I was hoping she'd be a cool samurai lady, not some kinda fashionista.

Pejo

Other than the knees, this one's pretty good too. May she forever spook your shelf.
Kind of a shame they didn't show anything Genshin related at TGA. I was hoping for a glimpse of Cloud Retainer. But I guess the timing just didn't line up for that. Or maybe it's just because they have so many games to promote now.
Yea they sure are dealing with a full roster of games. In addition to Genshin/Star Rail, Honkai Impact is releasing the major part 2 revision in China with a brand new engine and adding 3 axis combat to all characters. Basically transforming it into a brand new game. Then they have ZZZ and that otome game. ZZZ has so much style but it got censored HARD and gameplay wise it's very simple. The whole game is a roguelike mode which automatically turns me off from the get go.
4.3 sounds decent in terms of events. Fontaine film festival, Itto's beetle fight. Navia's on the banner first (Thank god) with Ayaka, and Chevreuse will be on Shogun/Yoimiya's banner. Bit of a shame they're separated, but it makes sense for her to be paired with Pyro and Electro chars. Guess I'll have to attempt another snipe.
Hmm. Since they split Chev to the 2nd half, I might try to snipe a few Kirara constellations now and build pity towards Navia... You just KNOW that Navia's 4*s are gonna be shit. Probably like Noelle/Razor/Yanfei levels of bad.
Chiori is neat but I was hoping she'd be a cool samurai lady, not some kinda fashionista.
We knew she was a dressmaker from Inazuma as soon as Fontaine released. Her shop is there and the NPCs in front of it fed us a bit of lore. But yea I agree. I was hoping for a kunoichi type character that used hidden knives, caltrops, shruikens, and that kind of thing. I mean I guess she still could.

Top Bottom