• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

ezekial45

Banned
I love how these red states vote for the politicians who fuck them over the worst. Hilariously sad.
Most of those people, who are lifelong, diehard republicans, will never ever vote democrat. Even when they're actively supporting the people that put their lives at risk. Voting democrat just isn't an option they'll consider.

They have no one to blame but themselves for this. It's nonsensical, it's sad, but it's also dangerous. For us, specially.

So Ossoff's margin actually got worse then?

A little, but not much. It was a different situation. It was only Ossoff on the Democrat side, and there was multiple GOP candidates. That situation basically just paints the same picture: there's simply more Republican voters than Democratic voters in the district, and not enough Independents or Turncoats to put it over the edge.

Not sure if this is a joke account, but I don't think that anybody is ignoring those results. I mean, Donald Trump is president today.

But, FWIW, Trump won those swing states by a smaller percentage than Clinton won the popular vote. I have an uncle who was bragging about how Clinton barely won the popular vote and so it shouldn't even be a footnote in the election, and I was like, well... If Clinton barely won the popular vote at 2.1%, then what were Trump's victories in Florida (+1.2%), Michigan (+0.23%), Pennsylvania (0.72%), Wisconsin (0.77%), which are the states that won him the election.

Those 75 electoral seats rested on an average margin of victory of 0.73%.

Trump ran a better campaign, simple as that. Both sides agree Clinton's campaign was a disaster

Rover99

Banned
Glad Handel was able to win GA06. The polls on CNN and MSNBC had Ossoff up this morning. Those polls sure are tricky i guess. Looks like the Dems lost the other House race in SC today as well. May need a new strategy to come back to center to attract more voters. Hats off to Ossoff for a hard fought race though. Congrats.

Vyer

Handel is terrible. Combined with that and everything the republicans have stood for and done during this Trump era, the only real conclusion for me is that they only care about the R by the name on the ballot.

You guys keep looking for silver linings, and I understand that the traditional voting patterns of these areas fuel that reasoning. I definitely hope that the logic you are using is correct. I certainly will be happy if those hopes do pan out in the midterms. But I can't help but shake the feeling the game has changed, traditions don't matter and all of that reasoning is based on a reality that doesn't exist any more (if it ever truly did).

Most of those people, who are lifelong, diehard republicans, will never ever vote democrat. Even when they're actively supporting the people that put their lives at risk. Voting democrat just isn't an option they'll consider.

They have no one to blame but themselves for this. It's nonsensical, it's sad, but it's also dangerous. For us, specially.

Yup, that's the depressing part. Not tonight, not even that we have Trump in office now, but that people will always vote based on the letter next to candidate names and I don't see any end in sight.

If I were a GOP strategist, I'd start asking for volunteers to be shot come next September.

I get your point but they don't make the majority of republican voters. It's the poor and middle class whites.

The problem is these poor and lower middle class whites just think they are temporarily this way, and the reason why they don't become wealthy is because of liberal taxes.

It's a systemic disease.

Glad Handel was able to win GA06. The polls on CNN and MSNBC had Ossoff up this morning. Those polls sure are tricky i guess. Looks like the Dems lost the other House race in SC today as well. May need a new strategy to come back to center to attract more voters. Hats off to Ossoff for a hard fought race though. Congrats.

You can't name one positive trait she has, because you'll just run off like people like you always do.

aeolist

Banned
Here is a radical idea

You put the candidate in each district based on the populations ideals and try to win around that!

Whoa, I wonder what type of strategy this would be called???

Yes, these rich affluent people would have absolutely accepted the populist message of a true liberal. It's true because I believe it!

but why would republican voters go for republican-lite when they can just vote for the real thing? we know they don't flip, they've proven it year after year after year. running a massive expensive campaign to try and get them again is just throwing good money after bad.

going for upper middle class suburban whites will not ever work for this party. if the district is mostly comprised of that vote then it is not winnable, and we should concentrate on others instead. sc05 could have benefited from the attention but the dem there was an actual populist which scares the shit out of the national party.

TyrantII

How are republicans fucking over rich/upper middle class white folks?

In fact, they pander to them.

If you make an income, they're fucking you over. They'll tell you how better you are than the poors, with a hand in your pocket.

The only ones they are not fucking are people making their fortune off gains and inheritance. The ones that can afford private armies and walled off compounds.

BriGuy

Not sure until the final numbers come in, but the Rs weren't unified on a candidate back then. And I hate to even bring it up, but that shooting last week gave the GOP the narrative (or perhaps more appropriately, the "fear") they needed to turn out their base.

Maxim726X

Yes.

This was a shit outcome. All indications were that this was going to be a close race... It really wasn't. This party has a real fucking problem and until we start winning elections all the marching and the SNL skits and the protesting means jack fucking shit.

Proving what I said in the months after the election - Dems would refuse to learn from the November losses & make the same mistakes on messaging. I'm sorry to anyone who wants to view this in some form of a smaller victory, but that just keeps ringing more & more hollow as the GOP just keeps running up the score.

Yes.

This was a shit outcome. All indications were that this was going to be a close race... It really wasn't. This party has a real fucking problem and until we start winning elections all the marching and the SNL skits and the protesting means jack fucking shit.

Seconded. Even the 'it was close' quasi-victory that every liberal was hanging onto in case Ossof did lose got blown up. This was nowhere near close. I'm hoping that finally Dems will take a step back & finally try and address their issues. But i'm not holding my breathe.

Mesousa

Banned
I get your point but they don't make the majority of republican voters. It's the poor and middle class whites.

That isnt the 6th though.

The people who voted Handel in tonight are the people well off, and in agreement, with her when she said she didnt support a livable wage. They live in their mcmansions separated from everybody else.

Foffy

Banned

Why are you happy that the same-sex marriage hating advocate who supports the worst health care bill of the first world and is against a living wage actually won?

Doesn't her win solidify we're descending into even deeper conflict and disarray?

Proving what I said in the months after the election - Dems would refuse to learn from the November losses & make the same mistakes on messaging. I'm sorry to anyone who wants to view this in some form of a smaller victory, but that just keeps ringing more & more hollow as the GOP just keeps running up the score.

Literally nothing the democrats could do would change this result.

The Republican voters will never vote for a democrat and thanks to suppression and gerrymandering they're the ones that count.

Ganhyun

No, what happened is what Cochese said back then. All the people who voted for the 13-17 (I cant remember how many there were) other Republican candidates in the race backed Handel. It was still close, but not quite enough.

but why would republican voters go for republican-lite when they can just vote for the real thing? we know they don't flip, they've proven it year after year after year. running a massive expensive campaign to try and get them again is just throwing good money after bad.

going for upper middle class suburban whites will not ever work for this party. if the district is mostly comprised of that vote then it is not winnable, and we should concentrate on others instead. sc05 could have benefited from the attention but the dem there was an actual populist which scares the shit out of the national party.

SC05 was a legit R+20 district that was mainly only close because nobody gave a shit about it and voter turnout was low.

You know, the exact opposite of a populist movement.

The Democratic running in SC-05 is a millionaire who used to be a Goldman Sachs Executive

Not sure I'd call Parnell a populist :lol

(The national party actually avoided the race because they thought the base wouldn't like that fact! That and he could self fund.)

but who wants to try new things after massive repeated failures right? we should definitely just keep throwing money at the same consultants and lobbyists who got us into this situation to begin with

Your strategy isn't new in any way. You're just ignoring the fact that all of the far left candidates have demonstrably done worse across the board.

They need at least one win to say that they can be an alternative to the more centrist candidates, and they don't even have that.

geestack

so glad the candidate that doesn't support a living wage and hates gays won? you're telling on yourself here

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
so Ossoff lost? damn, that is harsh even tough it was somewhat close, I just hope Democrats don't lose enthusiasm because of this loss because otherwise they are completely fucked.

Glad someone who wants to deny same-sex couples from adopting kids and doesn't believe in a livable wage.

so Ossoff lost? damn, that is harsh even tough it was somewhat close, I just hope Democrats don't lose enthusiasm because of this loss because otherwise they are completely fucked.

They probably will because folks like Democracy Now were talking like Ossoff had an easy win on his hand

Nobody in 2018 is going to remember or care about this election.

Other than the people in this poor district that are going to have to go through this all again in like 13 months

My take away is that the voter turnout in Georgia was great (mail-in and walk-in). I think I read that the original primary election turnout was in the 190,000 range, correct me if I'm wrong?
Compare to latest tally results:
Karen Handel Rep. 127,021 52.6%
Jon Ossoff Dem. 114,390 47.4%
99% reporting

So total this election was 241,411, which is a great jump. And of course its likely that of these 50,000 extra voters, more are dem than rep.

Why you support Nazis? Are you a Nazi yourself?

If you are a Nazi Go away we dont want you here.

Ekai

Why are you happy that the same-sex marriage hating advocate who supports the worst health care bill of the first world and is against a living wage actually won?

Doesn't her win solidify we're descending into even deeper conflict and disarray?

We all know that person isn't going to come back to say anymore than that.

That they think we need to veer back to the center/center-right is so incredibly insulting. That's the way for Democrats to keep on losing.

Seconded. Even the 'it was close' quasi-victory that every liberal was hanging onto in case Ossof did lose got blown up. This was nowhere near close. I'm hoping that finally Dems will take a step back & finally try and address their issues. But i'm not holding my breathe.

I'm not going to say that another strategy isn't a good idea, but you've got to drop the utter nonsense that the only strategy is for the DNC to completely reinvent itself.

It's patently absurd.

Let this be a lesson to the rest.

By and large, Georgia GAF tried to warn folks, same as most times the state makes the news with us rubbing our temples, that tempering expectations is not only recommended...but damn near a necessary coping mechanism when it comes to our forays onto the national stage time and again as we joust with Arizona and other baffling locales.

There times where the toast doesn't land butter side down, sure, but that doesn't mean you can really lean in heavily on that outcome when you are hungry.

Maxim726X

Health care bill has got a shot now.

There are larger implications to this race, whether or not people here think the race was unwinnable- Clearly, the party did not. The party is in a real bad place right now.

antonz

The left continues to eat its own. Already seeing people cheering the fact Ossoff lost because he was too centrist etc.

When the opposition denies the right to living wages, food etc. There is no acceptable reason to withhold your vote. You are voting to enable those shitbags all because of some purity test. You are no better than the Republicans pushing the agenda because you enable them

wa2gfka.gif

This is a disappointing result no doubt, but I also think it's unfortunate that the inability to win a district that hasn't gone blue since 1979 in almost 40 years is seen as a mandate for the Trump agenda and a crushing blow against the notion of any Democratic momentum. I mean, I'm not going to spin this as though the fact that it was kind of close actually means a big win for Dems and a big loss for Trump and the Republicans. But I also can't help but feel like people are just too anxious to see megaton shifts that just aren't going to happen quickly.

It feels kind of like people that felt like the Comey testimony was a big nothing burger when the immediate result wasn't Trump being cuffed and taken away to prison

It's upsetting, but if anything, I'm motivated to fight even harder. And frankly, that's how all Democrats should feel after this.

Rover99

Banned
The problem is these poor and lower middle class whites just think they are temporarily this way, and the reason why they don't become wealthy is because of liberal taxes.

It's a systemic disease.

I don't think the GA06 district was populated by poor and lower middle class whites though. If you're talking in general of why they tend to vote more Republican, maybe it's because Republicans promise more jobs (rarely deliver) and the poor and lower middle class whites hear something they like in that message. It's a number of things.

You can't name one positive trait she has, because you'll just run off like people like you always do.

What do you mean by people like you? I'm just glad she won because i think she had a better platform and i think she was more in line with the views of people in her district. Her platform was basically the Republican platform. Lower taxes, tough on illegal immigration, and Pro-Business. I'm more for the better ideas than for the candidate or the party. I really try not to be partisan. Sorry if i came off as a despicable Republican/Trump supporter : )

Top Bottom