• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

Why does anyone here still reply to diablo?

I don't understand why he hasn't been perma'd by now.

Some takeaways

1) This district is not very pro-Trump, but it's not exactly easy to swing republican. (At least from what I've been reading)

2) This is a very pretty district and was always going to be hard to swing. Republicans can't shit out money for every house race like they have here in 2018.

3) Some of you guys need to smoke some weed or something

4) Dems are still getting major leverage and trending districts left, five months into Trump's presidency.

5) Get ready for like a year of midterm campaigning and for our lives to soon be 24/7 campaigns and constant coverage where nothing ever gets done and everyone is looking for the next reelection!

Reasonable.

If I wanted anything g out of this election it is for you to be more positive. Go into this shit like you do expecting megatons at E3, to take it back a level. I think most level headed people expect the worst through many disappointments to avoid the downnesss of it all. Just keep some hope, no matter of your distristibution of faith in anything. Just be happy and hope for the best, we will win in due time. Yes we can!

Reality is hard sometimes. You have to accept that, or you're just going to live in constant heart-break.

Donald Trump and the Republican Party have been cartoonist evil and incompetent,.

They should not be winning any elections from now until they are removed from power and stop being evil and incompetent.

Yet this election shows that they will pay no cost whatsoever, people will die and suffer and they'll be fine because they didn't vote for a Democrat at least.

Can't wait for a drooling, dementia rattled Trump to sign a law ordering minorities into camps in his second term

Ekai

Why does anyone here still reply to diablo? Or Springsteen for that matter.

Honestly I debated even posting that. I know diablo doesn't care, dude is happy with the country heading into the shitter while millions of minorities, the poor et. all suffer. That or he's entirely okay with that being the end result of the country continually veering to the right. It's not much better.

br3wnor

I agree that if it stays 5/6 points, it is bad. On the really good side, SC totals ended at -3.5%. That is a huge swing. That lines up and actually exceeds the trend.

NY times is projecting in the 3ish% range which is heartening for Democrats if a little worse than expected. I don't think SC is indicative of a general trend (at least that extreme) given how low turnout was.

Either way Republicans will likely underestimate today's results at their peril in 2018 though I was hopeful for some pressure against the ACHA next week had Ossoff been able to win by a couple of points.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I think this election just shows education and wealth levels mean nothing when it comes to party affiliation.

All these moral victories!!

Are they better than real ones? It seems some actually believe this to be true.

While I was never fully confidant in a win, I don't think I'm going to be rolling into a fetal position in bed over a special election in Georgia that was hyped to hell and back by both parties.

Dems attempted a hail marry at halftime (if we're assuming midterms are end game) and didn't get a TD.

Not the end of the game.

Thought you were a reasonable poster at one point too...

I'm not the one arguing that an actual field of study like statistics is somehow fake. You know medical doctors are wrong sometimes too? Why don't you and your mob of anti-intellectualism chase them out of town too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Cochese knew what was up the whole time depsite everyone and their mother shitting on him in all 3 or 4 threads about this race.

PS: Knew how this was gonna go that I just went grocery shopping at Kroger tonight vs watching results come in.

BriGuy

Another fucking L for the democrats.

Yeah, we're getting 8 years of Trump
Probably. The Republicans still have a good three years to enact all kinds of voter suppression laws to further stack the deck in their favor too.

You're not being a "defeatist" if you actually are getting defeated at every turn.

Quazar

Reality is hard sometimes. You have to accept that, or you're just going to live in constant heart-break.

Haha you're a tough nut to crack. My heart broke many years ago, my friend. I'm telling you from that stand point to do your best and relay the best message possible to inspire the next. I hope you do, you owe someone that. And if not,, treat that someone like it's me.

I mean I'm not calling for his ban because he's obviously smart enough to avoid it but I don't get why other people can't see through his very thin smokescreen by now.

A lot of the conservative, Pro-Trump users on this site say only just enough to make people angry and then walk away like cowards when they've run out of blanks to shoot off.

Ekai

Probably. The Republicans still have a good three years to enact all kinds of voter suppression laws to further stack the deck in their favor too.

You're not being a "defeatist" if you actually are getting defeated at every turn.

E'yup. Even though the Repubs don't have the numbers they will continually suppress the vote to ensure they stay in power. It's part of their long-term plan along with dumbing down the populace. They're all vile subhuman monsters.

Averon

The big takeaway is that nationalizing special elections does Democrats no favors. All it does is energize GOP voters, it seems.

The only solace to takeaway from this is that it is impossible to nationalize ever lean R House race next year.

E'yup. Even though the Repubs don't have the numbers they will continually suppress the vote to ensure they stay in power. It's part of their long-term plan along with dumbing down the populace. They're all vile subhuman monsters.

Might as well just bring up Diebold machines too while you're at it. Some of you are flying off the handle.

Basically the Democratic Party doomed themselves by not turning out in 2010, allowing the Tea Party wave to overwhelm the small turnout, gerrymander and vote supress themselves into power, and begin the process of burning the country to the ground.

Maxim726X

While I was never fully confidant in a win, I don't think I'm going to be rolling into a fetal position in bed over a special election in Georgia that was hyped to hell and back by both parties.

Dems attempted a hail marry at halftime (if we're assuming midterms are end game) and didn't get a TD.

Not the end of the game.

I would feel a lot better if the fucking polling was accurate and he lost by a point.

Instead, it's looking like another embarrassing defeat.

Haha you're a tough nut to crack. My heart broke many years ago, my friend. I'm telling you from that stand point to do your best and relay the best message possible to inspire the next. I hope you do, you owe someone that. And if not,, treat that someone like it's me.

Like, do I know you lol? Weirdly personal message.

Coffinhal

No words. A candidate who went on live Tv saying she didn't support a "livable wage" won. Jesus

Yeah, Trump's electoral basis still support him, and they vote, and the money and the Republican leadership support him too.

Democrats need to go beyond anti-Trump rhetoric and start to build a platform that is an alternative to the ethno-neoliberalism that Trump is pushing. But a standard cool neoliberalism à la Obama/Clinton(Blair/Trudeau/Macron) won't do it, and that's what the shitty democracy* that the US are will give you (*lack of financial regulation in campaigns+two-parties system+low registration of Democrat's electorate+voter suppression+gerrymandering etc).

I would feel a lot better if the fucking polling was accurate and he lost by a point.

Special election polling has always sucked

We found the true margin of error to be about +/- 8.5 percentage points. That's almost double the theoretical margin of error posted for most of the polls conducted for the Georgia 6 special election. Even if we compare the average polling share that the leading candidate received in the 22 races that these 54 polls were taken in, the margin of error is still about +/- 7.5 points.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...to-know-about-the-georgia-6-special-election/

Embarrassing defeat? That's like saying Rockey was humiliated because Apollo won.

The final result will be around 52-48 - well within the margin of error. The polls even showed a slight swing toward Handel in the last few days.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

At least the polls were more accurate than the presidential.
Hopefully they refine their methods to better reflect the voting habits of the country.

Top Bottom