• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

I think I'm gonna just stop posting in any OT political thread now. Took one look here and yep, just as I thought. If the state of this side of the forum wasn't bad before, it's gonna be even worse after tonight.

Instead of moving on and focusing on the next fight, the only thing so many people in here know what to do in OT political threads is just wallow and whine away about how everything in the world is terrible and things never ever get better.

I could probably make a 5x5 bingo card of defeatist hot take responses any time any kind of political thread comes up now.

And before anybody quotes me here and calls me disingenuous for saying this, please understand just how hard I TRIED. I really freaking tried. I tried to be a voice of solace and hope amongst all the despair. I tried to be the guy who'd look at the facts and look at ALL the possibilities, not just whatever seems likely. I tried to be the guy who, as a Canadian citizen, would be able to do his part to help his fellow American Gaffers.

A toxic mindset is brewing among many of you and I mean MANY of you. Your pessimism, your condescending words about reality, your constant HOT TAKES and quick drive-by responses to every single piece of bad news you see, it's all toxic. It's consuming you.

A subset of this community is developing an almost cult-like mentality where only one thing is seen as an absolute truth to them: "YOU ARE ALWAYS DESTINED TO LOSE." And with results like these, knowing this forum, that mentality is only going to grow and make every political thread virtually unreadable from here on out.

So I'm done. I'm done participating. I'm done talking to you all. If I want to check in on news I'll hop into PoliGAF, where the last spectrum of reasonable political conversation remains. But even that's somewhat doubtful after tonight.

So later OT Political Threads. I have my own life in Canada and I can't waste time endlessly arguing with people here as it's unbelievably stressful.

Instead, I'm going to continue hanging out in Gaming Side and in AnimeGAF and I'm going to remain positive and look for wins elsewhere.

If you guys are smart, you'll do the same thing.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Vyer

maybe the dems should stand for something if they want to win elections? just a thought.

NotTrump didnt cut it in 2016, it's not going to cut it in 2018

From everything I read that's not really what Ossoff did at all, so I'm curious what you're referring to. Did he make his campaign 'NotTrump'?

BADMAN

Silver lining is that the Democrats don't get to use this win as justification for not changing their centrist establishment bullshit. Time to stop losing guys.

I think I'm gonna just stop posting in any OT political thread now. Took one look here and yep, just as I thought. If the state of this side of the forum wasn't bad before, it's gonna be even worse after tonight.

Instead of moving on and focusing on the next fight, the only thing so many people in here know what to do in OT political threads is just wallow and whine away about how everything in the world is terrible and things never ever get better.

I could probably make a 5x5 bingo card of defeatist hot take responses any time any kind of political thread comes up now.

And before anybody quotes me here and calls me disingenuous for saying this, please understand just how hard I TRIED. I really freaking tried. I tried to be a voice of solace and hope amongst all the despair. I tried to be the guy who'd look at the facts and look at ALL the possibilities, not just whatever seems likely. I tried to be the guy who, as a Canadian citizen, would be able to do his part to help his fellow American Gaffers.

A toxic mindset is brewing among many of you and I mean MANY of you. Your pessimism, your condescending words about reality, your constant HOT TAKES and quick drive-by responses to every single piece of bad news you see, it's all toxic. It's consuming you.

A subset of this community is developing an almost cult-like mentality where only one thing is seen as an absolute truth to them: "YOU ARE ALWAYS DESTINED TO LOSE." And with results like these, knowing this forum, that mentality is only going to grow and make every political thread virtually unreadable from here on out.

So I'm done. I'm done participating. I'm done talking to you all. If I want to check in on news I'll hop into PoliGAF, where the last spectrum of reasonable political conversation remains. But even that's somewhat doubtful after tonight.

So later OT Political Threads. I have my own life in Canada and I can't waste time endlessly arguing with people here as it's unbelievably stressful.

Instead, I'm going to continue hanging out in Gaming Side and in AnimeGAF and I'm going to remain positive and look for wins elsewhere.

Finally some good news tonight. Saccharine bullshit doesn't matter.

What do you mean by people like you? I'm just glad she won because i think she had a better platform and i think she was more in line with the views of people in her district. Her platform was basically the Republican platform. Lower taxes, tough on illegal immigration, and Pro-Business. I'm more for the better ideas than for the candidate or the party. I really try not to be partisan. Sorry if i came off as a despicable Republican/Trump supporter : )

So what I take from this is that you are more concerned with paying a few bucks less in taxes than if people are treated equally. Fair?

I'm not going to say that another strategy isn't a good idea, but you've got to drop the utter nonsense that the only strategy is for the DNC to completely reinvent itself.

It's patently absurd.

You're right. I'm just thrilled to see how the DNC's tried and true 7 year strategy which has net them nothing but L after L, whom its very own constituents say is fine & shouldn't change, will do in the next few elections, even though the leader of the opposing party is literally hated, and the people we are losing to aren't even subtly awful anymore.

A few weeks ago, we lost to a candidate who assaulted a reporter the day before the election. Today, we lost to a candidate who told potential voters she wants to screw over their living wage & let it stagnate. In a poor district no less.

I'm glad i'm entertaining positions where I can leave the country & go live somewhere else. The DNC is just as stubborn about their failed strategies as the GOP is to all of their shitty economic beliefs.

Maxim726X

GOP just won this district by 23 points. The delta is massive.

Yeah, it's not a massive defeat.

4-5 points isn't all that close, even still. This was supposed to be a 1-2 point race, and let's not pretend that Price's victory had any real opposition from the DNC. I would imagine that they're never even tried to win GA-6.

Boke1879

Also I hope people start to realize that people that vote republican at this point love their policies.

They love tax cuts for the rich, Cutting medicare and medicaid, They don't want your wages to go up and they are ok with a health bill that will kick off 23 million people and increase premiums for the rest.

Ganhyun

You're right. I'm just thrilled to see how the DNC's tried and true 7 year strategy which has net them nothing but L after L, whom its very own constituents say is fine & shouldn't change, will do in the next few elections, even though the leader of the opposing party is literally hated, and the people we are losing to aren't even subtly awful anymore.

A few weeks ago, we lost to candidate who assaulted a reporter the day before the election. Today, we lost to a candidate who told potential voters she wants to screw over their living wage & let it stagnate. In a poor district no less.

I'm glad i'm entertaining positions where I can leave the country & go live somewhere else. The DNC is just as stubborn about their failed strategies as the GOP is to all of their shitty economic beliefs.

LEt me just stop you right there,

Ga-06 is not poor. Ga-06 is full of upper middle class and higher rich white folk mostly.

"23 million of you will lose healthcare."

"Well at least you're not a liberal."

The mindset is baffling to me. Disappointed that we lost, but not defeated. 2018 is still poised to be a bloodbath for the GOP.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Odd mic drop. Wouldn't it have been possible to stop posting by just no posting anymore.

4-5 points isn't all that close, even still. This was supposed to be a 1-2 point race, and let's not pretend that Price's victory had any real opposition from the DNC. I would imagine that they're never even tried to win GA-6.

His opponent in 2016 was literally an imaginary person.

Though I don't think a real person would've done all that much better. Maybe a few points.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Are you kidding? The DNC was pouring all kinds of money in this race. This was probably the most well-funded House election of all time.

Neoweee

No it wasn't. Everybody worth their salt knew that special election polls are a mess, and that anything between +10 one way or the other was on the table.

Are you kidding? The DNC was pouring all kinds of money in this race. This was probably the most well-funded House election of all time.

It was the most well-funded. By far. 2016 should have taught us that money isn't nearly as important as we think it is in big elections. On a local level, sure, but not in elections that get national attention.

Odd mic drop. Wouldn't it have been possible to stop posting by just no posting anymore.

It needed to be said, he's absolutely right that there is a toxic mentality spreading through this forum with just absolute pessimism and defeatist nature, trying to be sarcastic and witty about the bad news of the day.

It's not only lazy, but it's fucking annoying.

Glad Handel was able to win GA06. The polls on CNN and MSNBC had Ossoff up this morning. Those polls sure are tricky i guess. Looks like the Dems lost the other House race in SC today as well. May need a new strategy to come back to center to attract more voters. Hats off to Ossoff for a hard fought race though. Congrats.
- Reasonable post, if incredibly ambiguous in the "I have no strong feelings one way or the other" sense.

You can't name one positive trait she has, because you'll just run off like people like you always do.

Why are you happy that the same-sex marriage hating advocate who supports the worst health care bill of the first world and is against a living wage actually won?

Doesn't her win solidify we're descending into even deeper conflict and disarray?

so glad the candidate that doesn't support a living wage and hates gays won? you're telling on yourself here

Glad someone who wants to deny same-sex couples from adopting kids and doesn't believe in a livable wage.

We all know that person isn't going to come back to say anymore than that.

That they think we need to veer back to the center/center-right is so incredibly insulting. That's the way for Democrats to keep on losing.

Lower taxes, tough on illegal immigration, and Pro-Business. I'm more for the better ideas than for the candidate or the party. I really try not to be partisan. Sorry if i came off as a despicable Republican/Trump supporter : )

As it turns out, some people vote for the issues they care about, not for the ones they don't.

Zolo

In the long run, it's not that big of a defeat because it's a seat that was initially expected to not be up for grabs before the seat was open and is one of many House seats. Optics-wise though, yeah. It's bad.

Boke1879

A few weeks ago, we lost to a candidate who assaulted a reporter the day before the election. Today, we lost to a candidate who told potential voters she wants to screw over their living wage & let it stagnate. In a poor district no less.

Thing is. You have to take into account the people who vote R. Like what they are voting. You're not changing their minds.

Man, you were sounding okay, and then you went off the cliff. Well, that and you don't what the DNC does.

Gutek

- Reasonable post, if incredibly ambiguous in the "I have no strong feelings one way or the other" sense.

As it turns out, some people vote for the issues they care about, not for the ones they don't.

You mean sometimes people vote for issues they care about, even if it tramples on the rights of others.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
"23 million of you will lose healthcare."

"Well at least you're not a liberal."

The mindset is baffling to me. Disappointed that we lost, but not defeated. 2018 is still poised to be a bloodbath for the GOP.

These people who voted R aren't the people endanger of being in the 23 million.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In the long run, it's not that big of a defeat because it's a seat that was initially expected to not be up for grabs before the seat was open and is one of many House seats. Optics-wise though, yeah. It's bad.

I know it's not a big defeat. The truth is winning this one was always going to be next to impossible, the only reason it was this close is because of how big a fuckface Trump is. What gives me hope for the future is if this is where we are in terms of winning GOP districts now, imagine where we'll be with another year of Trump scandals and self-inflicted wounds. Then imagine two more years.

Yea the GOP managed to hold onto the seat, but for how long?

I still take it as a step forward. It was a what 4-5 percentage point loss in a heavy red district in deep red state (outside of Atlanta). I grew up in GA, and was proud to see how passionate the Dems who live were during this whole campaign.

Boke1879

maybe the dems should stand for something if they want to win elections? just a thought.

NotTrump didnt cut it in 2016, it's not going to cut it in 2018

Wasn't Ossoff doing that. Running on policy?

At some point we gotta just admit that there are fundamental differences to the parties. That people who vote R like those policies and will vote R no matter what unforunately.

Ossof can come back next year. It's going to be an absolute bloodbath for Republicans then as all signs point to that.

Trump isn't going to be immune to historical precedence. If anything he is the direct result of historical precedence (the party holding the president two terms in a row tend to lose).

He acts like it's a huge blow to forum too. So long, person I've never noticed before. We'll miss your INSIGHT and randomly CAPITALIZED words.

He consistently called out people with even reasonable and learned takes as being defeatist.

It's baffling to me that they could be that callous.

Sit down here and let Cochese tell you what it's like to be a southern conservative.

Or rather, maybe tomorrow. Life goes on in the Sixth, literally nothing has changed.

Maengun1

I think people lose sight of the fact that all these special elections are being held to replace people trump handpicked for his cabinet. That's the voter pools we're dealing with here.

I get that seeing loss after loss after loss is demoralizing, but...idk. Honestly I think the solution for a lot of people would be to focus more on their own local elections coming up (whenever that is) and tune out the rest to a degree.

That being said, this result absolutely sucks, yeah. Handel was/is terrible.

The DNC gained seats in the house and senate in 2016 and lost the election because Trump won more of the swing states by a razor thin margin. Have their numbers improved or gotten worse since then?

But sure, burn it all down because we didn't win a seat the democrats had never won before.

Gutek

Ossof can come back next year. It's going to be an absolute bloodbath for Republicans then as all signs point to that.

Trump isn't going to be immune to historical precedence. If anything he is the direct result of historical precedence (the party holding the president two terms in a row tend to lose).

People on GAF still delusional, I see. Don't be surprised when Trump does 8 years.

Ekai

You mean sometimes people vote for issues they care about, even if it tramples on the rights of others.

Pretty much my take.

Especially since Republicans aren't even actually for lower taxes on most Americans. And "tough on immigration" always sounds like code for tough on minorities in an unfair manner. The fact that the immigration process itself is already hellishly long and expensive tells me most Republicans (really most people) don't understand what immigration is even like. And pro-business is a weird point to make when Republicans often align themselves with companies that eat up small businesses.....not to mention they support coal- a dying industry when there are plenty more jobs in clean energy.

NastyBook

Glad Handel was able to win GA06. The polls on CNN and MSNBC had Ossoff up this morning. Those polls sure are tricky i guess. Looks like the Dems lost the other House race in SC today as well. May need a new strategy to come back to center to attract more voters. Hats off to Ossoff for a hard fought race though. Congrats.
I though GAF got sprayed regularly for pests?

Nesotenso

How is 2018 going to be any better ? Aren't the more vulnerable Dems in the senate defending their seats? and, correct me if I am wrong, isn't it near impossible to flip the house?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's baffling to me that they could be that callous.

It's called racism. Hate like that doesn't need an explanation.

How is 2018 going to be any better ? Aren't the more vulnerable Dems in the senate defending their seats? and, correct me if I am wrong, isn't it near impossible to flip the house?

The entire House is up for reelection every two years. It'll be hard, but who knows where we'll be with another year of Trump scandals and policy. That's the only reason this was close in the first place.

Now the Senate? No way in hell to win that.

Neoweee

The margin swing from these special elections applied to a generic D vs. R ballot implies close, or a D win for the house.

Maxim726X

It needed to be said, he's absolutely right that there is a toxic mentality spreading through this forum with just absolute pessimism and defeatist nature, trying to be sarcastic and witty about the bad news of the day.

It's not only lazy, but it's fucking annoying.

But... Potentially accurate?

The pessimism is justified right now. These races were all losses, and there is no useful information to glean from them. All the while, the party is up against one of the most unpopular presidents in history. Yeah, forgive us for not patting each other on the back for losing an election, in which the party spend 25 million, by 5 points.

Top Bottom