• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

Economy is good, most people have work, Merkel more than once showed she’s willing to take liberal positions and isn’t a classic conservative.

Overall things aren’t looking too bad for us and in a world full of Trump and May there isn’t much appetite for change.

She lucked out with the economy which helped her massively early on.

I don't believe that Merkel even once took a real own position, when she is gone people will ask what is even left from 16 years Merkel.

Not specifically Islam, but yes that is a problem too. The softness on religion and beliefs into religious freedoms has created all kinds of parallel society issues.
The values of the Rechtsstaat are slowly being eroded. "Its a culture thing" should not be an out to not have to adhere to marriage rules among many other things.
I feel the new conservatism in Europe has doubled down on the "Christian roots" instead of trying to steer society away from all of this. I wish there was one mainstream party that would do a step forward and distance themselves from all religious notions.

Schroeder didn't swear on the Bible in 1998 for example but since then it all went backward. (not saying Schroeder is a shining bright light, btw, the way he is tangled up in Rosneft and the Nordstream pipeline is absolutely intolerable. Almost a reason in itself to not vote SPD, even though Schulz tried to distance himself from it somewhat.

? What exactly are talking about in terms of marriage rules?

Merkel didn't swear on the Bible either, so I'm not quite sure what your point is.

What exactly went backwards?

Xando

I don't believe that Merkel even once took a real own position, when she is gone people will ask what is even left from 16 years Merkel.
Whether or not it’s her position there were some major decisions during her time as chancellor.

Energiewende, no more conscription, refugee crisis or same sex marriage.

Merkel is a clever politician which blurs the lines between public opinion and her decisions. That’s why the SPD has it so hard.

Tbh i think once Merkel is gone we‘ll have a SPD chancellor for atleast 10 years.

CDU really has no one else and SPD is itching to make a comeback

As others said, people are voting for Merkel not the CDU

The latest results in Saarland and Schleswig-Holstein, both won by two rather unfameless CDU politicians, tell another story.

And it's not like SPD has a dozen of next Schröders in the pipeline as well.

Dr.Acula

Banned
cMfkFGP.gif

4 Stimmen fuer Gruen aus den USA. :p

Oh no, you got your Bundestagswahl, I'm so sorry.

(what is that I don't speak German?)

Whether or not it's her position there were some major decisions during her time as chancellor.

Energiewende, no more conscription, refugee crisis or same sex marriage.

Merkel is a clever politician which blurs the lines between public opinion and her decisions. That's why the SPD has it so hard.

And two of your listed things were run into the wall because they were carried without ideological base. It isn't even Realpolitik but a big of nothing. Also she never changed her opinion about same sex marriage, one could argue that was one of the few times she showed her true political face.

Maedre

Banned
The SPD has in their current situation no chance to stand out. They need to get out of the Groko and stay for one legislation in the opposition. Then they will be able to gain shares.

Oersted

Its worth noting how much the failure of CSU is getting attention. Aka zero attention.

The one and only things they got trough are car toll and the "stay at home, wife!" money. The latter is already dead.

They really don't belong on a national stage.

Linkyn

Poor Greens. :-(

Their election posters are so bad. Merkel can do a feel-good- preelection but the opposition should carry out a more provocative campaign with pictures that show the consequences of global warming and shocking facts (far more people die by polluted air and germs in hospitals than by murder).

My brother and I were joking about this yesterday. The font colour makes for very poor legibility (despite the fact that some of the slogans are at least decent), so they're rather hard to absorb when driving by them.

He was speculating that maybe that's by design, in order to motivate people to drive less.

Linkyn

Interesting. I would personally consider myself more of a fiscal centrist (maybe the union is more conservative than I give them credit for). No surprise at being so close to B90, though - I tend to align with their views outside of a few issues (FTAs, nuclear power, etc.). I suspect that questions on some of their stances on foreign issues might have pushed me further away from them.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Kinda accurate. Although I wonder what their definition of "socially progressive" is and what a party would look like that would sit in the top-right corner.

dgJK8Dq.jpg

Xando

Kinda accurate. Although I wonder what their definition of "socially progressive" is and what a party would look like that would sit in the top-right corner.

Probably something like in the direction of En Marche?

Can't really think of any other example.

Irminsul

That y axis doesn't make any sense. In what way is Die Linke the most socially progressive party? How is the FDP so far behind the SPD? So civil liberties apparently don't count at all for this?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That y axis doesn't make any sense. In what way is Die Linke the most socially progressive party? How is the FDP so far behind the SPD? So civil liberties apparently don't count at all for this?

Yeah, that's why I wondered about their definition. It might make more sense if the north and south end of the map represent more "authoritarian" approaches (to quote another popular map of political orientations) to government as opposed to liberal ones; in particular, more regulation and a more powerful state.

Irminsul

Yeah, that's why I wondered about their definition. It might make more sense if the north and south end of the map represent more "authoritarian" approaches (to quote another popular map of political orientations) to government as opposed to liberal ones; in particular, more regulation and a more powerful state.
Well, but then the CDU/CSU is in the completely wrong place.

Is this something new to you? A quick look tells me that SPD is commonly set as a bit more socially progressive than the FDP with Greens and Linke way ahead. In about every interpretation of the German political spectrum I could find.

Progressive =/= Libertarian

kingkaiser

Merkel is going to be longer in power than the Thousand-Year Reich even managed to exist.

Let that sink in.

I wonder if she will beat Bismarck, though.

kingkaiser

Germans and their desire for long-lasting statesmen...

Bismarck - 19 Years
Adenauer - 14 Years
Kohl - 16 Years
Merkel - 12 Years and counting...

Germans and their desire for long-lasting statesmen...

Bismarck - 19 Years
Adenauer - 14 Years
Kohl - 16 Years
Merkel - 12 Years and counting...

Seehofer is already advocating for a possible 5th turn, because she is still younger by that time as he right now.
plus she is well respected and proven around the world

i could see that happen and don't see anyone beat her.
probably only dependent if she wants so

Irminsul

Is this something new to you? A quick look tells me that SPD is commonly set as a bit more socially progressive than the FDP with Greens and Linke way ahead. In about every interpretation of the German political spectrum I could find.

Progressive =/= Libertarian
See, that's already in contrast to what is shown in the graph. And I still don't get in which way The Left is ahead of The Greens. Also, both parties are definitely more authoritan than the FDP, and I do think that a socially liberal (in the European sense) society is definitely a progressive one.

Oersted

Seehofer is already advocating for a possible 5th turn, because she is still younger by that time as he right now.
plus she is well respected and proven around the world

i could see that happen and don't see anyone beat her.
probably only dependent if she wants so

Given her influence on the media, not that surprising.

Top Bottom