• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

wrowa

Interesting, CDU and SPD are even here.

That's not really interesting, actually. It's a consequence of the concept. DeinWal looks at the voting behavior in the bundestag from 2013-2017. Since CDU and SPD formed a coalition (meaning they came to an internal compromise on most issues and voted the same), they inevitably receive about equal points using this method.

Xando

Time to decide who to vote for

DH5_36FXYAEsJmg.jpg

Poor Greens. :-(

Their election posters are so bad. Merkel can do a feel-good- preelection but the opposition should carry out a more provocative campaign with pictures that show the consequences of global warming and shocking facts (far more people die by polluted air and germs in hospitals than by murder).

Well, the Grünen acting like conservatives anyway everytime they are in power. They are redundant now.

Guy.brush

Greens had so many topics recently and they made nothing of them.

• The DIESEL scandal should have been a major win for them, but with one of their guys now in power in Baden-Württemberg and torn between Daimler and Porsche whispering into his ears, they did nothing.
  • Electric cars, nothing.
  • The ridiculous rent prices in inner cities could have been a topic
  • The apparent Russian influence in the Nordstream pipeline seeping into German politics
They seem to have aged into conservatives, happy to be in power...
I also don't like how they have become what seems more christian with every year.
With religion creeping back into every corner of society, Germany could have needed a modern party that pushed for continuous secularisation but those voices seem to have lost against the mainstream. So even in this regard, they are close to the CDU now.

• The DIESEL scandal should have been a major win for them, but with one of their guys now in power in Baden-Württemberg and torn between Daimler and Porsche whispering into his ears, they did nothing.
  • The apparent Russian influence in the Nordstream pipeline seeping into German politics
I also don't like how they have become what seems more christian with every year.
With religion creeping back into every corner of society, Germany could have needed a modern party that pushed for continuous secularisation but those voices seem to have lost against the mainstream. So even in this regard, they are close to the CDU now.

...que?

Oersted

If polls are anything to go by, these topics aren't something the public cares alot about. Well except for rent prices.

Arguably this is of course a sign of a general problem.

Xando

I'm very happy that this trend is represented in the advisory committees of public television and radio.
ÖR need to be reformed ASAP.

So much wasted money.

Half of these TV and radiostations are useless and imagine how much we could save without them shooting movies all around the world.

Let alone the waste of money that is Volksmusik.

Green Yoshi

Well, the Grünen acting like conservatives anyway everytime they are in power. They are redundant now.

People here in NRW wish that was true. ;-)

Many would have been a lot happier with a conservative education policy.

Germany could have needed a modern party that pushed for continuous secularisation but those voices seem to have lost against the mainstream. So even in this regard, they are close to the CDU now.

SPD, FDP and the Linke don't push for secularisation? Or do you speak of Islam? Many people hate the Greens for their refugee friendly beliefs.

Thanks to the Greens same-sex marriage is now finally a thing in Germany. Nothing the church would ever promote or push for.

gruenel

Apparently I'm #linksgrünversifft also, because of radical ideas like €10 minimum wage and marriage equality.. /sigh

Guy.brush

People here in NRW wish that was true. ;-)

Many would have been a lot happier with a conservative education policy.

SPD, FDP and the Linke don't push for secularisation? Or do you speak of Islam? Many people hate the Greens for their refugee friendly beliefs.

Thanks to the Greens same-sex marriage is now finally a thing in Germany. Nothing the church would ever promote or push for.

Not specifically Islam, but yes that is a problem too. The softness on religion and beliefs into religious freedoms has created all kinds of parallel society issues.
The values of the Rechtsstaat are slowly being eroded. "Its a culture thing" should not be an out to not have to adhere to marriage rules among many other things.
I feel the new conservatism in Europe has doubled down on the "Christian roots" instead of trying to steer society away from all of this. I wish there was one mainstream party that would do a step forward and distance themselves from all religious notions.

Schroeder didn't swear on the Bible in 1998 for example but since then it all went backward. (not saying Schroeder is a shining bright light, btw, the way he is tangled up in Rosneft and the Nordstream pipeline is absolutely intolerable. Almost a reason in itself to not vote SPD, even though Schulz tried to distance himself from it somewhat.

CTLance

Bleh. Those polls really paint a bleak picture as far as I'm concerned.
Still gonna vote the everloving shit out of this election though. Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt.
Let alone the waste of money that is Volksmusik.
Hey now. Let's not be hasty.

We Krauts are pretty much prohibited from ever owning A/B/C weaponry. Our army is a mess. We have little access to the oceans and are surrounded by former and current enemies. We're rich as fuck and corrupted to a considerable degree while drowning in bureaucracy. That's an incredibly tempting juicy sitting duck, right there.

We absolutely need some deterrence by means of a MAD device, particularly since the pesky Murricans uncovered Operation Diesel. What else do you think is keeping Putin, Schröderbot and his North Korean orbital assault troops from fucking our shit up? Why do you think the Brits are finally desperately fleeing? Why are angry Spartans not ransacking our homes in retaliation for mercilessly exploiting them for fun and profit?

Everyone is too afraid to anger a country with Volksmusik.
That's the only sane explanation. Even we Germans recoil in horror at the thought. That's how potent it is. That's why we need it. I'll readily admit that it's despicable, but hey, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Xando

I get that SPD lost voters to Green, Left and maybe even to FDP or CDU. But I'll never understand where those AfD-voters come from..
Considering that the most conservative party (CDU) has almost results like back in the early 90s..
On my phone right now but i remember there was some study that most AFD voters didn’t vote at all or were SPD, CDU voters.

Mutti just stole all the centrist votes from the SPD.

Ladekabel

On my phone right now but i remember there was some study that most AFD voters didn’t vote at all or were SPD, CDU voters.

Mutti just stole all the centrist votes from the SPD.

I still wonder what the CDU's plan is after Merkel says "I'm done.". De Maiziere? Spahn? Tauber? Glöckner? Von der Leyen? I don't see any current member that could replace her that has her appeal and is not in some kind of way embarassing.

I still wonder what the CDU's plan is after Merkel says "I'm done.". De Maiziere? Spahn? Tauber? Glöckner? Von der Leyen? I don't see any current member that could replace her that has her appeal and is not in some kind of way embarassing.
It's the triumphant return of Karl-Theodor Maria Nikolaus Johann Jacob Philipp Franz Joseph Sylvester Buhl Baby!!!

800px-Karl-Theodor_Freiherr_von_und_zu_Guttenberg_-_cropped.jpg

I think that there are more people voting for Merkel than actually for the CDU.
There's but one in that party (Merkel) where I think would fit as chancellor. After her there's no one..
Von Guttenberg was the chosen one, but he failed.

There's but one in that party (Merkel) where I think would fit as chancellor. After her there's no one..

Yeah I think the CDU might get into trouble once Merkel is gone. I'm not sure if they'll be able to find someone capeable to replace her. I hope the election in 2021 will be exciting again.

Ladekabel

Funnily I heard a lot of people saying that they won't vote for CDU because of Merkel's actions during the refugee situation. Spoiler: They said they vote for the AfD.

Yeah I think the CDU might get into trouble once Merkel is gone. I'm not sure if they'll be able to find someone capeable to replace her. I hope the election in 2011 will be exciting again.

Let's do the time warp again! :p

Xando

Tbh i think once Merkel is gone we‘ll have a SPD chancellor for atleast 10 years.

CDU really has no one else and SPD is itching to make a comeback

As others said, people are voting for Merkel not the CDU

Xando

And the question would be why?
Economy is good, most people have work, Merkel more than once showed she’s willing to take liberal positions and isn’t a classic conservative.

Overall things aren’t looking too bad for us and in a world full of Trump and May there isn’t much appetite for change.

She lucked out with the economy which helped her massively early on.

venomenon

I'd add my new Landesmutti Manuela Schwesig to that list, there was some discussion about her role in MV being a test run for higher tasks and Merkel seems to like her. The general population is certainly less negatively biased towards her than towards people like De Maiziere or von der Leyen.

Edit: Yeah, fail. It's actually an SPD-led grand coalition here. Not that it makes a difference.

Oersted

Not specifically Islam, but yes that is a problem too. The softness on religion and beliefs into religious freedoms has created all kinds of parallel society issues.
The values of the Rechtsstaat are slowly being eroded. "Its a culture thing" should not be an out to not have to adhere to marriage rules among many other things.
I feel the new conservatism in Europe has doubled down on the "Christian roots" instead of trying to steer society away from all of this. I wish there was one mainstream party that would do a step forward and distance themselves from all religious notions.

Schroeder didn't swear on the Bible in 1998 for example but since then it all went backward. (not saying Schroeder is a shining bright light, btw, the way he is tangled up in Rosneft and the Nordstream pipeline is absolutely intolerable. Almost a reason in itself to not vote SPD, even though Schulz tried to distance himself from it somewhat.

Church being a state within the state is not an erosion, its a inherent part of Germany's system. There is no slow change, it just is.

Xando

I'd add my new Landesmutti Manuela Schwesig to that list, there was some discussion about her role in MV being a test run for higher tasks and Merkel seems to like her. The general population is certainly not as negatively biased towards her than towards people like De Maiziere or von der Leyen.
Isn‘t Schwesig SPD?

Top Bottom