• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

This game has one of the best openings I have ever played. The transition from being in a dark forest into a field of white flowers with the music swelling is crazy good. The art direction for this game is really fantastic.

I like that this game forces me to really pay attention while playing it. Theres a lot of visual and audio queues to give hints during gameplay.
THIS.

That intro 'Sucker Punch Presents - Ghost of Tsushima' gives me goosebumps EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I especially love the touch where Jin runs his hands through the flowers as he's riding through that field. MAJESTIC. MAGICAL. EPIC.
I have yet to replay that on my headphones.

Combat is so satisfying. I feel so much like a badass when i perfectly parry and counter attacks. Then the soundtrack slowly swells as you get into bigger combat moments. Its like I'm playing a live action samurai movie.
Have yet to unlock the other stances but good lord, is the combat good. It really is incredible how much the audio adds to the already amazing atmosphere.
Then you have the quiet moments when roaming the countryside.

I'm so happy i bought this game.

DavidGzz

There is no animation break to signal a double roll. The player literally rolls across a larger distance within one single roll (supposedly actived by a double tap). If the player has literally no feedback cue over whether he overpressed or not (only after a fact confoundment) there is something wrong in the design (just on that alone). Assuming it's "working" as intended.

Man, this posts confuses my inner meathead. I sidestep constantly without rolling. I pull off the perfect sidestep plus reverse stab counter all the time. Not sure what you all are doing wrong.

THIS.

That intro 'Sucker Punch Presents - Ghost of Tsushima' gives me goosebumps EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
I especially love the touch where Jin runs his hands through the flowers as he's riding through that field. MAJESTIC. MAGICAL. EPIC.
I have yet to replay that on my headphones.

Combat is so satisfying. I feel so much like a badass when i perfectly parry and counter attacks. Then the soundtrack slowly swells as you get into bigger combat moments. Its like I'm playing a live action samurai movie.
Have yet to unlock the other stances but good lord, is the combat good. It really is incredible how much the audio adds to the already amazing atmosphere.
Then you have the quiet moments when roaming the countryside.

I'm so happy i bought this game.

Yep, just an awesome experience. Maybe I'll snap out of it and this is just the honeymoon phase talking but this may be my GOTG. I didn't like the Infamous games much at all and I'm a huge FromSoftware fanboy but SP came out of nowhere with this. Pretty fitting given their name.

Last edited:
Man, this posts confuses my inner meathead. I sidestep constantly without rolling. I pull off the perfect sidestep plus reverse stab counter all the time. Not sure what you all are doing wrong.
Been playing on hard and soundly get my ass handed to me plenty times but agree here.

Just sidestepping is all you ever need. Sidestep and parry with quick counters. If the crowd is too large and swarming you, sprint away a bit (which quickly breaks up the crowd) and quickly dish out damage to the first NPC who attacks you. Rinse & repeat until you have thinned them out. Only then can you safely sidestep and parry without worrying about getting nailed from every side.

I find there are 2 easy opponents which are the archers and guys with the spears. The spears are easy cause there strike animation takes ages so you can easily see the attack coming. I take these out first before focusing on the shields or captains.

Bryank75

Banned
Been playing on hard and soundly get my ass handed to me plenty times but agree here.

Just sidestepping is all you ever need. Sidestep and parry with quick counters. If the crowd is too large and swarming you, sprint away a bit (which quickly breaks up the crowd) and quickly dish out damage to the first NPC who attacks you. Rinse & repeat until you have thinned them out. Only then can you safely sidestep and parry without worrying about getting nailed from every side.

I find there are 2 easy opponents which are the archers and guys with the spears. The spears are easy cause there strike animation takes ages so you can easily see the attack coming. I take these out first before focusing on the shields or captains.
Yes, I would second all this... I also leave my stance on 'wind' by default to deal with spear and shield troops first.

We're not doing anything wrong. Rolling to evade with the unlocked doubletap for a "double-roll" is horribly implemented, specially when facing 2-handed spear enemies since it gives you no chance to close in for a follow up attack after a successful roll (it also has to do with 2 things: 1- the range of your attacks and the range of the roll and 2: there been no lock-on on enemies which compounds the issue as the camera doesn't re-center). On top of what I already said earlier about there been no visual feedback cue on a doubletap. Got nothing to do with a sidestep. This is pretty much the result of a team who's never made a combat system like this stumbling upon some things. They got a lot right, and tried to do some things different from others where they shouldn't. Hopefully in a sequel (or a patch) they'll fix these things - and don't take the wrong takeaways from all the feedback. How do you fix it? Double roll = single roll animation then another single roll animation. Not a continuous extended range roll. That still won't fix camera/player position with respect to the enemy - you need an enemy lock on; re-center camera system for that.

Last edited:

Darth

But good.

I am enjoying it. Combat is good enough to keep me entertained so far. While I like Sekiro gameplay more I’m grateful it isn’t insanely hard as I had to quit Sekiro. I am playing on medium. I have only unlocked one more stance so far and sticky bombs plus throwing blades. I feel like they could have made some refinements and better ai would have made a big difference.

Mossybrew

Ok, so another thing I've realized about this combat system, and I don't know if it was intentional or just kind of evolved naturally out of these systems. but most games encourage you do do better in combat by punishment, ie fail state. You want to get better to succeed and progress past the encounter. Once you have enough Ghost tools and moves and charms and especially higher level Samurai armor, you can kind of muddle your way through encounters and still succeed, but if you are sloppy in this game it somehow feels like shit even without a fail state. Like, fuck, Jin should not be getting hit at all by these generic goons. Jin should not be swinging his sword in some panic and hitting nothing but air. It pushes you to do better just because it feels better and Jin would be better. I know this isn't the only game to do this, but it just really works so well here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand the complaints of the wind at all. It's unobtrusive (you don't need to continually swipe up, just set a destination on your map), subtly adds to the aesthetic, and is functional. It's a mechanic that accomplishes multiple things at once without being in your face. Why would you want an ugly, artificial waypoint marker floating in the midst of such a gorgeous game? The HUD-less nature of this is one of its most appealing aspects.

I feel like most of the complaints towards the wind are from those who've been so hammered by years and years of the same old waypoint systems that they cannot imagine anything else. The wind is brilliant, and I'm ecstatic SP decided on such a course. My only disappointment with it is knowing it won't be followed and we'll be back to the same navigational bullshit we've had for years in future games.

Because the objective doesn't stay on the top left of the screen so to see that the distance is decreasing, I swipe the touchpad up so I can see the direction the wind is going and to see the distance I have left to my location.

I have zero issues with having a waypoint on the screen. In fact, I prefer it. It wouldn't take away the visuals for me at all. I have played way too many games to get annoyed at a waypoint on the screen. The visuals are a 10/10. Waypoint or not on the screen isn't going to change that for me.

I simply prefer a waypoint over the wind which is cool at first but 25 hours in, not so much anymore. Now, it's just annoying for me. Minor complaint but still a complaint for me.

Don't get me wrong, the wind being the waypoint is unique, original and innovative but I prefer to just place a waypoint and just go to the location that I have marked instead of swiping the touchpad repeatedly. Especially since a fox, bird or an enemy encounter will take me off course, having a waypoint on screen would eliminate me having to swipe the touchpad repeatedly. I simply prefer it to be easier and simpler.

MastAndo

A few hours in, and I'm enjoying it. My only grievances right now are mainly aesthetic ones - I wish there were more camera controls or a POV option to pull the default camera out a bit more, as it's too close most of the time. Also, I'm struggling with HDR settings on my KS8000. I can't quite put my finger on what's off, but it just seems uneven with the blacks sometimes looking crushed, and fine in other spots. I just don't feel it looks quite as good as it should. Also, during a few dialogue-based cutscenes with NPC's, the camera is pulled way out for some odd reason. It just seems like an odd design choice.

Other than those admittedly minor things, I'm having a good time exploring this world. It's generally a beautiful game, and while Jin is a bit flat and less interesting than he could be (at this point), I'm digging the general vibe of the story. Combat also seems fair on Normal and satisfying/rewarding, which is all I could ask. I'm not one to look for any sort of intense challenge in games like this, so I'm glad it's not a Souls-esque, open world game (though that's just me). Presentation and audio are also well-done, which just adds to the enjoyment of the package.

I know everyone has their own tastes, but this is one of those games where a brief description (you're a Samurai in an open-world) will tell you all you need to know. If you're into the idea of playing such a game, it's a keeper.

Keihart

We're not doing anything wrong. Rolling to evade with the unlocked doubletap for a "double-roll" is horribly implemented, specially when facing 2-handed spear enemies since it gives you no chance to close in for a follow up attack after a successful roll (it also has to do with 2 things: 1- the range of your attacks and the range of the roll and 2: there been no lock-on on enemies which compounds the issue as the camera doesn't re-center). On top of what I already said earlier about there been no visual feedback cue on a doubletap. Got nothing to do with a sidestep. This is pretty much the result of a team who's never made a combat system like this stumbling upon some things. They got a lot right, and tried to do some things different from others where they shouldn't. Hopefully in a sequel (or a patch) they'll fix these things - and don't take the wrong takeaways from all the feedback. How do you fix it? Double roll = single roll animation then another single roll animation. Not a continuous extended range roll. That still won't fix camera/player position with respect to the enemy - you need an enemy lock on; re-center camera system for that.
You want the roll to leave you close for a counter attack? do you want a cake too? The roll it's the most overpowered defense in this shit, it gets you out of almost everything it should at least have a disadvantage since there is no stamina to be worried of.
Also, lock on is for bitches, the camera just needs to learn to position itself better and make more stuff invisible. Some of the games with the best combat are completely playable without lock on, like DMCV (you only use lock to input directional commands), Monster Hunter or even Souls games.

Ok, so another thing I've realized about this combat system, and I don't know if it was intentional or just kind of evolved naturally out of these systems. but most games encourage you do do better in combat by punishment, ie fail state. You want to get better to succeed and progress past the encounter. Once you have enough Ghost tools and moves and charms and especially higher level Samurai armor, you can kind of muddle your way through encounters and still succeed, but if you are sloppy in this game it somehow feels like shit even without a fail state. Like, fuck, Jin should not be getting hit at all by these generic goons. Jin should not be swinging his sword in some panic and hitting nothing but air. It pushes you to do better just because it feels better and Jin would be better. I know this isn't the only game to do this, but it just really works so well here.
I call it , the devil may cry syndrome, you are shown what cool things the character can do either trough cut scenes or context so when you are handed control the one sucking it's you and not the game character, he should know better.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm at a certain boss fight at Castle Kaneda in act 1. This is ridiculous. My attacks do like 2% damage. Meanwhile he just had full combos of unlockable moves he spams constantly. I think I'd have to be perfect for like 6 minutes without getting hit and he can drop me in like 2 hits. I havent even gotten him to half life in 15 tries. About to abandon the mission. A little annoyed you cant use kunai at all either. Also dumb that it autosave and locks you into a duel when you have like 1 resolve to start and no way to start with more.

Also it really is a stupid system to make your one special slice cost health to use when you have zero other options or healing ability.

And he has multiple moves he repeats including a double unlockable. The 2and dodge literally works 80% of the time. The rest it just doesnt register or he magically locks onto you.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Oh, I'm talking about the other guy who said that pressing O once was causing a roll animation and I thought you were also having this issue. I changed my attacks to R1 and R2, that solved my camera issues. I don't care if they add a lock on but it would be a good option in the menu for everyone that is using the face buttons. I almost always play Soulsborne without locking on these days since you can use the analog sticks while attacking so I'm used to it.

PanzerAzel

Because the objective doesn't stay on the top left of the screen so to see that the distance is decreasing, I swipe the touchpad up so I can see the direction the wind is going and to see the distance I have left to my location.

I have zero issues with having a waypoint on the screen. In fact, I prefer it. It wouldn't take away the visuals for me at all. I have played way too many games to get annoyed at a waypoint on the screen. The visuals are a 10/10. Waypoint or not on the screen isn't going to change that for me.

I simply prefer a waypoint over the wind which is cool at first but 25 hours in, not so much anymore. Now, it's just annoying for me. Minor complaint but still a complaint for me.

Don't get me wrong, the wind being the waypoint is unique, original and innovative but I prefer to just place a waypoint and just go to the location that I have marked instead of swiping the touchpad repeatedly. Especially since a fox, bird or an enemy encounter will take me off course, having a waypoint on screen would eliminate me having to swipe the touchpad repeatedly. I simply prefer it to be easier and simpler.
Fair enough, I can understand that and think they should've included the option for those that prefer it.

For me, I'm the complete opposite. It's like watching the odometer in a car on a trip, in constantly having the distance remaining displayed it distracts from the journey I'm having. I don't want to know the distance remaining to my destination, I don't even want to know exactly where my destination is, only a vague idea of it, and I want the specifics (such as distance) to be a complete mystery. As long as it's pointing in the right direction I know I'll get there eventually. And I think that's what people are having trouble with regarding the wind....it's struggling to let go and a loss of control due to information being taken away. I can see how some don't like it, personally I love it and desire more of it.

It's what's always bothered me about open worlds game....these developers put in so much hard work to create these dynamic, evolving, beautiful worlds, and then then infuse them to the brim with artificial shit that strips the world of the illusion it creates and makes it, IMO, antithetical to the sense of discovery and adventure and relegates it to more of a chore and checklist. This game doesn't have that feel so much, and I believe the wind mechanic plays a large part in that.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Fair enough, I can understand that and think they should've included the option for those that prefer it.

For me, I'm the complete opposite. It's like watching the odometer in a car on a trip, in constantly having the distance remaining displayed it distracts from the journey I'm having. I don't want to know the distance remaining to my destination, I don't even want to know exactly where my destination is, only a vague idea of it, and I want the specifics (such as distance) to be a complete mystery. As long as it's pointing in the right direction I know I'll get there eventually. And I think that's what people are having trouble with regarding the wind....it's struggling to let go and a loss of control due to information being taken away. I can see how some don't like it, personally I love it and desire more of it.

It's what's always bothered me about open worlds game....these developers put in so much hard work to create these dynamic, evolving, beautiful worlds, and then then infuse them to the brim with artificial shit that strips the world of the illusion it creates and makes it, IMO, antithetical to the sense of discovery and adventure and relegates it to more of a chore and checklist. This game doesn't have that feel so much, and I believe the wind mechanic plays a large part in that.

The wind does, as you say have a large part in that in my opinion. It works in this works and feels a part of it. the same mechanic wouldn’t feel part of the world in modern city setting. They’d have to figure out some other way to do it, but open nature situation.. yeah, it’s good.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

I'm simply the opposite. I want viewpoints like AC that defogs the area of the map and puts points of interest on the map. I hate the BOTW style where I have to waste my time looking for shit. Just don't have the patience for that. Put the ? symbol there and let me go to it. Whatever it is, it is but at least I know something is there. At soon to be 42 and 30 years of gaming, I just don't have the patience or interest in doing that.

I do believe that open world games should follow AC Odyssey. Have a "guided" mode and "exploration" mode plus give me all those HUD options (20 in Odyssey) that I can turn on or off. Perfect setup in my opinion and everyone wins.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Just finished the game it was good not great because of a few issues with the combat. Let me say the story and setting were top notch. Good characters and writing. The games is great looking with good performance. The wind was fun for the first hour then i got tired of it. I dont have time to screw around with limited play time. I felt like i was wasting valuable gaming time farting around with the map and wind system. The needs lots of work the camera it ruined the average combat. To many times I get hit when a wall bush tree ect would block my view for no good reason. The kills and tree were fine. My frustration is many besides the camera. It was 50-50 if the game would pick the right enemy I was pointing at to attack. So i wanted the guy with the spear it attack the guy with sword and guy with spear gets a free hit. The parry and dodge seemed tuned for one on one not fighting hordes of guys. The whole thing is just a little sloppy compared to other games you fight multiple enemies at once. A good 7.5 out of 10 i think a sequel could easily be a 9 plus with refinement to the camera and combat.

vpance

Oh, I'm talking about the other guy who said that pressing O once was causing a roll animation and I thought you were also having this issue. I changed my attacks to R1 and R2, that solved my camera issues. I don't care if they add a lock on but it would be a good option in the menu for everyone that is using the face buttons. I almost always play Soulsborne without locking on these days since you can use the analog sticks while attacking so I'm used to it.

How do you change your attacks to R1 and R2?

Just got home from a weekend in the mountains to find my copy arrived early (thought it would be Tues). About to dive in!
Put on headphones.
Select Headphones 3D audio.
Turn the volume all the way up.
Keep a bottle of lotion and tissue handy.

I'm at a certain boss fight at Castle Kaneda in act 1. This is ridiculous. My attacks do like 2% damage. Meanwhile he just had full combos of unlockable moves he spams constantly. I think I'd have to be perfect for like 6 minutes without getting hit and he can drop me in like 2 hits. I havent even gotten him to half life in 15 tries. About to abandon the mission. A little annoyed you cant use kunai at all either. Also dumb that it autosave and locks you into a duel when you have like 1 resolve to start and no way to start with more.

Also it really is a stupid system to make your one special slice cost health to use when you have zero other options or healing ability.

And he has multiple moves he repeats including a double unlockable. The 2and dodge literally works 80% of the time. The rest it just doesnt register or he magically locks onto you.
Jesus, that sounds rough.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to level up as much as possible before hitting that area.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

Yeah, on hard it will take a few tries to learn all their moves... the double unblockables are deadly and the thrust because they can move so far it seems a bit unreal. But I enjoyed beating them after a few tries.

PanzerAzel

I'm simply the opposite. I want viewpoints like AC that defogs the area of the map and puts points of interest on the map. I hate the BOTW style where I have to waste my time looking for shit. Just don't have the patience for that. Put the ? symbol there and let me go to it. Whatever it is, it is but at least I know something is there. At soon to be 42 and 30 years of gaming, I just don't have the patience or interest in doing that.

I do believe that open world games should follow AC Odyssey. Have a "guided" mode and "exploration" mode plus give me all those HUD options (20 in Odyssey) that I can turn on or off. Perfect setup in my opinion and everyone wins.
Yea you and I are pretty much in complete disagreement. I despise AC games and resent Ubisoft for setting the general formula and framework that all open-world games have leaned on for so many years now.

The way you frame it sounds as if you're approaching the game as a chore, that you want everything revealed so you can get down to business. A checklist....which is exactly what Ubi's games are. I won't argue that GoT is different in this respect, but the wind is a large step in the right direction in making an open-world actually feel like a world and not a grocery list. I don't want to obligatorily run from A to B to C, I want to soak in and gradually discover and appreciate these crafted environments and have those elements organically infused into its structure and revealed as a natural consequence of inhabiting the world. Because as it is now, all open-world games feel like a large map, nothing but shallow window dressing with surprise boxes around that you go and open. That became far past tiresome ten+ years ago, and while the wind really does nothing more than veil that same tired formula under an organic pretense, it's a start.

To be perfectly frank, I'd be very interested to see an open-world such as this with no map except one that Jin would sketch as he exposed it (like Ellie did in TLoU II in Seattle) and take notes on quests. To not have a system menu you could go into (aside for inventory and system functions) but completely integrated organically that would give the players nothing until they came upon it themselves. Open-world games are capable of being much more than they are, the AC curse unfortunately remains prevalent in every game in this genre, and it's time to evolve. I think Sucker Punch should be commended for what they've done in striving towards doing so.

DavidGzz

How do you change your attacks to R1 and R2?

In settings on the PS4 dashboard under accessibility. The only bad thing is the prompts in game don't change. It's so much better being able to move the camera whilst attacking. Really, I don't get why devs don't let us fully customize our controls. They are trying to give us accessibility options but can't give us the most user friendly one.

Going full archer is fun if you havent tried it.

Nice, any issues with ammo?

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I'm only a few hours into the game and my impressions are that it is a little janky overall. I think the game lacks a bit of polish on a technical level. Some of the design choices with the story narrative and game etc. are very outdated. The camera is quite a big issue in my experience, it does not make the combat as fluid as could be.

Also I'm not sure if its because I'm early in the game with less skills and abilities but those archers are very annoying to avoid. It's not that I'm bad at the combat, they make the combat experience very frustrating but I think there is an ability to block them later on I heard so that fixes that.

I think the game is good overall but not great, I think it definitely does look beautiful at times and then other times the HDR seems to be a little off. It's a bit hit and miss in a lot of areas.

The game just feels like I'm playing something from 5 or 6 years ago but has had a graphics overhaul. I so far have little interest in the stories and just playing to get to the next combat sequences which I do actually enjoy.

I also really like the wind mechanic, people saying they have trouble knowing where to go must not be very good at navigation in general, it's very apparent where the wind is blowing.

This is not really related but funny to add.. My girlfriend hates watching me play this game, she keeps saying it's shit! For reference she is not a gamer and watches me play games, more recently she hated watching me play RDR2 and said its as shit as GOT, thought the Last of Us 2 was a bit repetitive but overall ok and nothing beats Doom Eternal, she reckons Doom Eternal was the best game she has ever seen and very enjoyable to watch.

I give GOT so far a 7 in my book, hopefully this will change.

Last edited:

Keihart

Yea you and I are pretty much in complete disagreement. I despise AC games and resent Ubisoft for setting the general formula and framework that all open-world games have leaned on for so many years now.

The way you frame it sounds as if you're approaching the game as a chore, that you want everything revealed so you can get down to business. A checklist....which is exactly what Ubi's games are. I won't argue that GoT is different in this respect, but the wind is a large step in the right direction in making an open-world actually feel like a world and not a grocery list. I don't want to obligatorily run from A to B to C, I want to soak in and gradually discover and appreciate these crafted environments and have those elements organically infused into its structure and revealed as a natural consequence of inhabiting the world. Because as it is now, all open-world games feel like a large map, nothing but shallow window dressing with surprise boxes around that you go and open. That became far past tiresome ten+ years ago, and while the wind really does nothing more than veil that same tired formula under an organic pretense, it's a start.

To be perfectly frank, I'd be very interested to see an open-world such as this with no map except one that Jin would sketch as he exposed it (like Ellie did in TLoU II in Seattle) and take notes on quests. To not have a system menu you could go into (aside for inventory and system functions) but completely integrated organically that would give the players nothing until they came upon it themselves. Open-world games are capable of being much more than they are, the AC curse unfortunately remains prevalent in every game in this genre, and it's time to evolve. I think Sucker Punch should be commended for what they've done in striving towards doing so.
Yeah, i hate de ubi checklist as well, it's like playing wow with quest finder....fuck that shit!

When the game it's designed around a quest finder exploration it's meaningless, you start just following the arrow, might as well have levels and load me right into it instead. Same goes for fast traveling for me.
But if you take those crutches off, the design of the map and game in general becomes way more interesting. You need landmarks, you need quests that make sense with the terrain, you need a design language so that the player can identify what to be curious about, and so on. Fast travel can turn a sandbox to shit too, how about either making it fun to go from point A to point B(spiderman)?make the game about getting there(death stranding) or make the game about always being exploring instead of having a set path (Zelda BoTW) if you have a sandbox and you are gonna whip the character around that map the whole game, then you better have a good reason to do it instead of just teleporting them there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

I like everything revealed after synchronizing a viewpoint simply because im going to spend 100+ hours in the game and would much rather be doing the content in the game and completing it all as opposed to wasting my time looking for it.

Ubisoft is my #1 publisher and developer and have been since 2010 which is not going to change. My only issue with them is that they try to implement every formula into every game. For example AC now is what it should be. Ghost Recon should be like Wildlands. Far Cry should be like FC 3/4. Division should be like Division 2. Watch Dogs should be more like the first one.

All different enough but with different gameplay elements and loops. In general, every game is a checklist just like every game is repetitive. It simply comes down to are you enjoying it enough to keep doing it over and over until you complete the game.

I soak in the entire game. 150+ hours for Odyssey. 300+ hours for TW3 twice. Yeah, I soak all of it in. But I do while actually accomplishing what I want which is completing the content in the game.

The fox in Tsushima is fine. It's the same thing over and over (coughUBIcough) and the reward is okay. The bird is UGH. I don't care about a cosmetic headband. Waste of my time. And don't get me started on all these documents. AC has documents but holy crap, I think there's like 200 or some such shit in Tsushima. I have already stopped reading them. Want to give me lore? Do it with side quests and that's it. I don't get anything out of reading a document.

Any open world game that is like how you describe it in your second paragraph would be a complete skip for me. LMAO. I'm not traversing a massive open world looking for all that shit. Way past that point. My time is valuable and would never waste it looking for content in a game when I could actually be doing that exact same content.

I love bandit camps, forts, etc. and if the combat is great, even better. Give me a good story and characters and im completely fine.

I guess you're NOT interested in Valhalla huh? Hehe. Seriously, I get your point and what you want but for me, honestly, that would just bore the fucking shit out of me. But that's what's great about gaming - you play what you want and skip the shit that you don't.

Psykodad

Banned
That photomode🙌🏾
ps_messages_20200720_3rke0.jpg

img_20200719_185222_8xfkvr.jpg

Exentryk

In photo mode I kept wondering why there isn't an option to take a picture of a still image, and could only record an animation. Then I learnt the PS4 can take pictures via share button.

I've owned the PS4 since launch.

P.S. - Having said that, PS4 can't take HDR shots, so seeing some banding in screenshots is annoying since you don't see that while playing.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Really love this game. It is kind of TLOU X AC but is def doing its own thing. The art design is lovely and so many gorgeous landscapes. Gameplay might be better than both those games imo.

Interesting that the main character struggles with stealth as part of the story. The samurai code clashing with the gameplay style, the ludonarrative dissonance, is acknowledged. It pains the lead to do this.

The cinematic look is great mostly no ui on screen outside of contextual prompts. The character models are all very nice and large during gameplay and combat is impactful and visceral. I love the look of the forests, that stuff is so lush and alive, with the wind “gimmick”. Which personally I love it makes it unnecessary to have an icon or compass even.

Last edited:

UncleMeat

Barely been able to put the controller down all weekend. Still early on in Act 2 because I've been doing all the sidequest which I don't normally do in open world games but I love the combat so much in this I don't mind.

One thing that blows my mind is how fast this game loads on OG ps4 and that I haven't run into a single glitch. I just can't believe with how many side missions there are one hasn't spazzed out on me yet.

Anyways really loving it even more than I thought I would. SuckerPunch did a tremendous job with this game.

Exentryk

Yeah, the swordplay is really satisfying once you get into that Samurai mode haha.

Also really surprised at how fast the game loads (on base PS4). Coupled with the good save system, dying doesn't feel annoying as you're back playing within seconds.

Last edited:
played around 27 hours over the weekend and almost about to cleanup the first island. finished act 1 story as well. this is the direction AC shouldve taken after 2 if it wanted to go open world like that. also comparing open world stuff in this to recent AC games is a discredit to this game. most of it more rewarding than anything ive played in AC since brotherhood.

I read on reddit people said sucker punch has to slow down the loading to put the tips in lol. Don’t know if its true but that was dump move i think.
Btw in next game i want the archer enemy pull out sword try to attack you when you try to appoarch them.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I hope they make a sequel and improve the stealth to make a spiritual successor to tenchu. I think this franchise has room to expand

There's a rock solid foundation here.
A few minor tweaks and improvements would take this game into the very top tier of Sony franchises. I really hope we get a sequel on PS5 and that it doesn't take 5 years to come out lol

Duel in the Drowning Marsh. Fucking fantastic.

This duel was awesome.
It fucked me up a few times but I was happy to replay it as the duel combat is so good. The almost instant loading is amazing as well and means that death is never frustrating as you get back into the action so quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
In settings on the PS4 dashboard under accessibility. The only bad thing is the prompts in game don't change. It's so much better being able to move the camera whilst attacking. Really, I don't get why devs don't let us fully customize our controls. They are trying to give us accessibility options but can't give us the most user friendly one.

Nice, any issues with ammo?
Not really. I mostly pick people off with headshots. Have a charm that has 40% chance to give you an arrow back. I still have to use my sword sometimes, but it's fun to try and focus on arrows for a bit.

tassletine

Side-note: Anyone doubting instant fast travel on PS5 after playing this game is nuts. But then again the usual suspects are not playing this game.

This engine is best in class in many respects.

It's not that they're all good but that those implementations are better and preferable to what we have here.
I think that's subjective given that the control of the camera in both games is manual and that you've never had to fight this amount of enemies in a From game before. Lock on here would be ruinous here.
I mainly bring this up because From are known for having an "atrocious" camera -- but I fully accept that it part of the difficulty in that game. I wish more people would embrace it as a gameplay mechanic, rather than a mistake. It would have been extremely easy for SP to make the walls etc. transparent in this title but they decided not too.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So yeah the game is pretty good and i'm enjoying my time with it but i didn't even finished the first part of the map (far from that) and i'm already stupidly op, if the game doesn't introduce new type of enemies or ramps up the difficulty very soon this is gonna be one of the easiest open world of this gen. (Playing on hard)

The stealth is stupidly op because enemies are full on retard (gimme all the fucking realism that some people hate if this make the stealth less op) then you have at least 20 arrow between 2 upgraded bows that kills most enemies with a body shot, plus explosive arrows, fire arrows, 2 type of bombs, kunai, smoke bomb, fucking secret sword techniques, i already did like 4-5 damage upgrade for the sword, charms that grants resolve for fucking everything, block, being attacked etc, it's very hard to be without resolve to heal during combat.
And i didn't even unlocked the multiple stand off and assassinations kills fron the skill three....

Ok having a sense of progression, i love this but not when the enemies can't absolutely keep up with my power level.

Yeah i can forget 75% of options that the game gives to me to make things A LITTLE harder but this is far from good game design when the player has to limit his options because the game is badly balanced.

For people who completed the game, does the game introduce new enemies or new threats to balance how OP you become just in the first part of the game?

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Game is so fucking good. The first 5 hours particularly had my jaw on the floor many times. Like someone said, this game was made with a ton of love for the material, and for gamers themselves — I love how there’s awesome new cosmetics popping up as a reward for exploring — no micro transactions, no bullshit. Truly a beautiful send off for the PS4.

anyone find the map deceptively huge?
i did not look this big when i first started but trying to cover all sidequests really lets you go on long ass horse rides where i keep getting distracted. not nearly as aggravating as it could be thanks to the stupid quick fast-travel.

Komatsu

In the middle of Act 2. Absolutely stunning game.

Given how I dropped TLOUS2 halfway through - couldn't get myself to finish, knowing the ending - it is nice to have some much fun with a Sony exclusive for a change.

The game is stunning and, given that it was written and produced in California, very respectful of Japan's history and considerably more accurate than one would expect. I am playing it mostly in English given that this is how it was mo-capped, but I switch to Japanese every now and then and it was really cool to see them use archaic terms such as mononofu (もののふ) - a rather old word for "warrior". My only complaint in that department is that "Yuna" is very Heisei era name and seems super odd in a Kamakura shogunate setting. It's like playing a game set in Tudor England where your main companion is called Kelsey.

Really missing a lock-on feature too.

Top Bottom